Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Admin farming: Good or bad?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
LamontStormstar
Right from the start the guy puts in an auto-mated vandal reverter

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...target=DerHexer

And goes to work.

3 months later, Sceptre, who really should know better than to do this, nominates him for admin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...inship/DerHexer

See the neutral by Tcrow777 who claims the guy's a bot.

A lot of times when these guys admin farm, they stop all their vandal fighting soon after, and then use their admin account to get their way. I can think of many things more worthwhile and interesting than vandal-fighting:
1) Doing my taxes
2) Cleaning up lots of paperwork
3) Doing yard work
4) Doing one of these irritating tasks at my work I don't like, try to avoid, etc.
5) A visit to the dentist
6) Re-painting my house
7) House cleaning
8) Getting all my body hair waxed off (I'm a guy and have never before waxed, so I'm sure it'll be unpleasant and I'd be slightly embarassed to do it but at least it'll be useful to myself when it's over unlike vandal-fighting on wikipedia)
9) Calling one of these corporations when I need to do and dealing with their long hold times.

Vandal-fighters on Wikipedia show basically a hatred of anything fun or funny. For example, this is funny and I'd just leave it, but someone reverts: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=144826238

Basically, unless someone just likes to bully other users during edit-snooping-patrols, then they don't patrol anything and just try to own articles like a normal admin.

DerHexer quit doing so much aggressive vandal fighting on the German wikipedia after adminship. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Beitr%C3%A4ge/DerHexer
Nathan
This is sort of a combination response to LamontStormstar & Xidaf...

Sceptre "should know better" than to do a lot of things, that doesn't stop him from doing them anyway - acting on impulse without thinking things through - though that's typical teenage stuff and I don't attribute that to him personally.

I used to vandal-fight myself, and my edits were pretty non-controversial. It was rare that any of my reversions were questioned or disputed - so not all vandal-fighters etc etc etc.

I was horrible at writing articles and I was a lot better at adding information to an existing article (if the framework of the article is already written for me). If I have to write something from scratch (sometimes even if it's a blog post), I'd ask for help to make sure all the wording and language is correct.

I was horrible with conflict though, and that spoke volumes apparently (so Xidaf makes sort of a good point).
D.A.F.
I used to oppose adminship for such users. They never engage in writing articles and have no record of how they'll act in conflict, no record of understanding of policies beside reverting vandalism. Then the mass vote in mass in support without having any evidences that the person is admin material. I boycotted voting after my conflict with InShaneee. I requested him on several occasion to come and help me fixing the problem, and since he had no other utility other than warning for personal attack or vandalism fighting he could do nothing than blocking me.
GoodFaith
The problem is not admin-farming. The problem is admins themselves. People with no personal stake in the site have no business running it.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(GoodFaith @ Sun 15th July 2007, 11:45pm) *

The problem is not admin-farming. The problem is admins themselves. People with no personal stake in the site have no business running it.

I think they do have personal stake.

Either, paid to edit like SlimVirgin's group, or they're in it because their sense of self-worth is based on how many wikipedians they can bully.

GoodFaith
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sun 15th July 2007, 11:49pm) *

Either, paid to edit like SlimVirgin's group, or they're in it because their sense of self-worth is based on how many wikipedians they can bully.

Only if your are a college student or live with Mom can you throw your time away like that. If a person's career, image or reputation isn't somehow involved, one isn't going to be on one's best behavior.

Do you think SlimVirgin has a life? Not hardly -- or she'd be living it. Ever notice that she and so many of the losers never seem to sleep? I may not have access to the admins' control panels, but at least I don't have to sleep alone.
GoodFaith
Oh, if you actually DO want to hang out on Wikipedia, find a fresh ip and farm yourself an admin.

I would LOVE to be one of SV's paid thugs. Imagine being a double agent in that group. Whoo, hoo!
Chris Croy
Becoming an admin is like becoming a professor. There's a brief period of publish or perish, but once you get tenure you can show up to class without putting on pants.

Admin powers should be broken up into two pieces: Vandal power and content power. Vandal fighter admins should get block, rollback, unwatchedpages, and nothing else. Maybe protect. Real content control, such as deleting and undeleting articles, should require you demonstrate understanding of what it means to produce content. I'd suggest that anyone who writes a FA gets the other admin powers without any further vote.
A Man In Black
QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Mon 16th July 2007, 3:58am) *

Becoming an admin is like becoming a professor. There's a brief period of publish or perish, but once you get tenure you can show up to class without putting on pants.

Admin powers should be broken up into two pieces: Vandal power and content power. Vandal fighter admins should get block, rollback, unwatchedpages, and nothing else. Maybe protect. Real content control, such as deleting and undeleting articles, should require you demonstrate understanding of what it means to produce content. I'd suggest that anyone who writes a FA gets the other admin powers without any further vote.

Blocking people and protecting pages are useful for both intervening in content disputes and for preventing pure vandalism. They are also the tools most often abused in a content dispute.

That said, Citizendium has a separation similar to this. Not being a Citizendium...um...citizen, I don't know how well this works.
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Mon 16th July 2007, 8:58am) *

Hasn't this idea surfaced a few times, but summarily shot down in the usual manner? It is quite tempting to say that almost any idea that is dismissed by the hive is probably a good one. My only further suggestion here is to break it up further, assign a bit to each component of admin-ness.
blissyu2
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Mon 16th July 2007, 8:33pm) *

QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Mon 16th July 2007, 3:58am) *

Blocking people and protecting pages are useful for both intervening in content disputes and for preventing pure vandalism. They are also the tools most often abused in a content dispute.

That said, Citizendium has a separation similar to this. Not being a Citizendium...um...citizen, I don't know how well this works.

Maybe you should sign up to see if its any good?
Disillusioned Lackey
Can someone please define "admin farming" for me? Sorry, I suppose I am a bit slow. Does it entail the planting and nuture of new admins, that support your point of view?

What also is "paid editing like Slim Virgins group". Does anyone have any evidence that she is paid to edit, or that her group is also paid to edit? Or is this a swipe at the fact that they probably edit during another real-life job?

Also: why all the focus on Slim Virgin? I've seen a lot of nonsense which didn't have even her indirect involvement. She's controversial, yes. But she's not the only abusive administrator, not by a long shot.

I look at it more like multiple groups of "abusive cells" than one giant abusive cabal. It only gets to a single unitary abusive process, if it gets escalated to the Arbcom level - at which point things tend to consolidate.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 16th July 2007, 10:58am) *

Can someone please define "admin farming" for me? Sorry, I suppose I am a bit slow. Does it entail the planting and nuture of new admins, that support your point of view?

Your answer:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Wikip...ts:_Admin_Farms

What also is "paid editing like Slim Virgins group". Does anyone have any evidence that she is paid to edit, or that her group is also paid to edit? Or is this a swipe at the fact that they probably edit during another real-life job?

Your answer:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/The_Wikipedia_Jews

Also: why all the focus on Slim Virgin? I've seen a lot of nonsense which didn't have even her indirect involvement. She's controversial, yes. But she's not the only abusive administrator, not by a long shot.

SlimVirgin has a group of admins. They're just basically high up in the power structure. They get on ArbCom and then get all the highest powers to abuse. The difference between her group and others is they are plotting and devious while many others wil occassionally blurt out lots of curse words. By avoiding incivility, SlimVirgin's group has gotten higher in power.

There were some other big cabals, but they died.

I look at it more like multiple groups of "abusive cells" than one giant abusive cabal. It only gets to a single unitary abusive process, if it gets escalated to the Arbcom level - at which point things tend to consolidate.

Well, basically there's lots of editors that are abusive, like to revert war and harass/bully people. So then they stay on and become admins and that's where most admins come from.

Somey
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 16th July 2007, 12:58pm) *
Does it entail the planting and nuture of new admins, that support your point of view?

That's the "organic reproduction" theory. There's also the Uncyclopedia version, in which they reproduce by mitosis.

Also: why all the focus on Slim Virgin?

Who's Slim Virgin? unsure.gif
GlassBeadGame
Funny "Admin Farming" was a theme that SlmVirgin was working back in May. She called it Trojan Admins though. Here: 1 2 3 4 are some diffs, which are illustrative, not exhaustive, of her drum beating.

This is very much like the DennyColt stuff. She is a very paranoid person who inhabits the world envisioned by "Invasion of the Body Snatcher" (B&W version from the 50's please.)
  • If the cabal gets its ass kicked in an argument over bad sites, its because we took over the bodies of those arguing on her side.
  • If admins are lawless POV pushing thugs its because we took over their bodies.

Slim couldn't envision a WP in which a bunch of self selected, untalented and immature people with excessive time on their hand would become admins and commit abuses, some of which not performed on her direct bidding. Must be a dark conspiracy.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 16th July 2007, 2:37pm) *

That's the "organic reproduction" theory. There's also the Uncyclopedia version, in which they reproduce by mitosis.

I read a few articles where female sharks reproduced by parthenogenesis.

Who's Slim Virgin? unsure.gif

Maybe she's a lady shark. wink.gif
GoodFaith
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 16th July 2007, 9:29pm) *

Who's Slim Virgin? :unsure:

Don't throw me a straight line like that. I'll get myself in trouble.

BTW, I bet admin farming could be a good business. You go through the motions, get adminship, then sell the account to some PR agency for a fistful of cash. Or you hire yourself out to fix people's "problems" for a nice hourly rate.
LamontStormstar
Just saw this today

22:56, 31 July 2007, DerHexer (Talk | contribs) blocked DerHEXER sucks (contribs) (infinite, autoblock disabled) (inappropriate username)

KamrynMatika
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 16th July 2007, 9:11pm) *

Your answer:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Wikip...ts:_Admin_Farms

Your answer:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/The_Wikipedia_Jews

SlimVirgin has a group of admins. They're just basically high up in the power structure. They get on ArbCom and then get all the highest powers to abuse. The difference between her group and others is they are plotting and devious while many others wil occassionally blurt out lots of curse words. By avoiding incivility, SlimVirgin's group has gotten higher in power.

There were some other big cabals, but they died.

Well, basically there's lots of editors that are abusive, like to revert war and harass/bully people. So then they stay on and become admins and that's where most admins come from.

i can't believe you're referencing ED for anything.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Tue 31st July 2007, 4:52pm) *

i can't believe you're referencing ED for anything.

wikiabuse.com needs to go back up so I can reference it
LamontStormstar
Well, DerHexer, who google says is German for "The Hexer" is still vandalfighting despite the admin farming.
jdrand
What is admin farming? I am not up on those "neologisms".
Nathan
It's mentioned earlier on in the thread.
jdrand
QUOTE(Nathan @ Sat 18th August 2007, 1:29pm) *

It's mentioned earlier on in the thread.

So Admin farming is when an admin runs an automated script and runs for adminship? Or, is it when someone has made no valid contributions to WP, and the only thing that she/he has done is run an anti-Vandalism bot, which wouldn't do a DAMN THING in Britannica, then tries running for adminship? (No, I do NOT support Britannica, I just think that an anti-vandal bot should not be your only contribution to the project) Either way, whatever admin farming is, if it is what DerHexer did, it is bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.