Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WikiAbuse must be resurrected
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Sunlight

hey. this is User:Sunlight, formerly of WikiAbuse.

the unexpected and rapid demise of WikiAbuse was a severe blow to the openness and freedom of Wikipedia and the burgeoning 'transparency' movement in regards to Wikipedia's admins. in only three short weeks myself and other editors had gathered thousands of pieces of evidence regarding the abuse that sometimes occurs on Wikipedia, yet in only a few hours all of this was wiped away when Rootology rashly decided to shut down the website.

i want to resurrect the website. i've tried e-mailing Rootology about a few things but have not received any replies. he will not even tell me if all of the information formerly found on the site has been deleted and if i can possibly retrieve some of the information formerly found there. does anyone know if this is the case?

i have no idea how 'unspecified legal threats' could lead to the shutdown of a website that did nothing but document facts. if something on WikiAbuse could have potentially lead to legal issues (outing, slander, etc) it would make much more sense to just take that off of the site instead of bringing the entire site down because of a few problem areas.

the tragic demise of WikiAbuse leads me to ask - has Wikipedia become such a megalithic presence on the internet that any and all legitimate and constructive criticism of it is not allowed?

Cobalt
QUOTE(Sunlight @ Sat 21st July 2007, 5:36pm) *

the tragic demise of WikiAbuse leads me to ask - has Wikipedia become such a megalithic presence on the internet that any and all legitimate and constructive criticism of it is not allowed?

Was it ever, really? I get the sense from just reading stuff that comes up here that for the most part, people believe the project can do no wrong whatsoever, regardless of people around here finding more and more evidence of a disturbing trend toward treating newcomers horribly and doing away with those who get in your way.

And those who have legitimate complaints are ignored, banned, and forgotten, while the power mad continue to go about their business.
A Man In Black
Yes! WikiAbuse must be revived, so Sunlight can post his really long, meandering, pointless rants, backed by blocks of diffs that don't prove or even illustrate anything!
Krimpet
WikiAbuse needs to be resurrected first and foremost so that my pretty blinking userpage can be restored.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Krimpet @ Sat 21st July 2007, 9:02pm) *

WikiAbuse needs to be resurrected first and foremost so that my pretty blinking userpage can be restored.

Looks like WP admins on WR feel that WikiAbuse was deserving of their derision and contempt. Maybe that has something to with what happened.
Somey
Well, you have to admit, Krimpet's user page was pretty cool!

I, too, am curious as to if or how the Wikiabuse database can be retrieved, but if Mr. Rootology doesn't want to give it up, then he doesn't want to give it up. That's one of the problems with collaborative websites in general, I suppose.... the ones you don't want to disappear do, and the ones you do want to disappear don't.

A few things from Wikiabuse are still cached on Google, but that's not likely to last long.
LamontStormstar
Rootology should just give article and talk text and not other stuff.
blissyu2
Perhaps Rootology could e-mail the articles, without history, to people.

Of course, ultimately if we lose all of the hard work that was put in, but we get to keep going with it, then long term it'll be alright.

We can get google caches of what was done (without the history). Quickly go now and copy it somewhere.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Sat 21st July 2007, 6:55pm) *

Yes! WikiAbuse must be revived, so Sunlight can post his really long, meandering, pointless rants, backed by blocks of diffs that don't prove or even illustrate anything!

Hey! That's my job!

Jonny cool.gif
A Man In Black
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 24th July 2007, 10:28am) *

Hey! That's my job!

Jonny cool.gif

Nobody can ever replace you in our hearts, though, Jonny.
JohnA
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 24th July 2007, 4:28pm) *

Hey! That's my job!

Jonny cool.gif

And you're absolutely magnificent in your ability to bury very simple points under tons of unnecessary verbiage! Carry on!
blissyu2
How come Sunlight's font was so weird?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:28am) *

Hey! That's my job!

Jonny cool.gif

Where you been?
JohnA
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:10pm) *

I have no idea what you're talking about
the fieryangel
QUOTE(JohnA @ Tue 24th July 2007, 8:16pm) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:10pm) *

I have no idea what you're talking about

Neither do I!
blissyu2
Okay, I obviously need to learn more about this software...
guy
When you type "Reply", you'll see drop-down boxes at the top that say "Font" and "Size". There are 21 fonts available, each in seven sizes.
For example, this is Georgia normal size, size 1, size 7
blissyu2
QUOTE(guy @ Wed 25th July 2007, 8:44pm) *

When you type "Reply", you'll see drop-down boxes at the top that say "Font" and "Size". There are 21 fonts available, each in seven sizes.
For example, this is Georgia normal size, size 1, size 7

[font=Fixedsys][size=3]Oh yeah I guess I don't use "reply" all that much. I usually use Quick Reply, because I really can't be bothered with all of that. Perhaps I should bother with it.
JohnA

It only works if you close the tags. Like this:

Oh yeah I guess I don't use "reply" all that much. I usually use Quick Reply, because I really can't be bothered with all of that. Perhaps I should bother with it.
blissyu2
Okay well this thread sure has got off track. Lol. Anyone wonder why I failed my computing degree? I sure can't figure it out.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 24th July 2007, 4:13pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:28am) *

Hey! That's my job!

Jonny cool.gif

Where you been?

¬2 worry, i'll b.bak ...

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.