Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why did JzG redirect "Turd burglar" to "Gay"?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > JzG
the fieryangel
See for yourself....

Then he protects the page in an "obvious" move...

It would seem that the article in question doesn't exist...So why did he do this in the first place?

Sheez, what more proof do you need that this guy is homophobic? Why is this person allowed to remain an admin?
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 22nd July 2007, 5:40pm) *

It would seem that the article in question doesn't exist...So why did he do this in the first place?

Sheez, what more proof do you need that this guy is homophobic? Why is this person allowed to remain an admin?

Well, whether he's homophobic or not, clearly Guy Chapman is doing very important work for a very important project.

In my opinion, Guy Chapman simply made a rookie mistake here. As it's not on his iPod, he must not be aware of the definitive guide on "How to take a sh*t at work", which includes this completely non-homophobic definition of a Turd Burglar:

TURD BURGLAR: Definition: A pooper who does not realize that you are in the stall and tries to force the door open. This is one of the most shocking and vulnerable moments that can occur when taking a dump at work. If this occurs, remain in the stall until the Turd Burglar leaves. This way you will avoid all uncomfortable eye contact.

Other classic definitions on that site include the (Fred) Astaire, Camo-Cough, and the Havana Omelette.

I hope you all enjoy that -- wonder if that qualifies as WP:RS?

Greg
Somey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 22nd July 2007, 5:43pm) *
In my opinion, Guy Chapman simply made a rookie mistake here. As it's not on his iPod, he must not be aware of the definitive guide on "How to take a sh*t at work"....

This is required reading for all Wikipedia admins, isn't it? I mean, what kind of rinky-dink operation are they running over there?

I took a personality test recently, and discovered that I myself am apparently a homophobe. No, wait, I've got that wrong, don't I - it's "humanphobe," not "homophobe." (Sorry...)

I'm actually more concerned about this new threat to our turd supply. Could these "turd burglars," regardless of sexual orientation, get personal DNA samples from stolen feces, set up a massive international database, and use it to invade the privacy of our precious toilet-time?

The mind reels!
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 22nd July 2007, 11:20pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 22nd July 2007, 5:43pm) *
In my opinion, Guy Chapman simply made a rookie mistake here. As it's not on his iPod, he must not be aware of the definitive guide on "How to take a sh*t at work"....

This is required reading for all Wikipedia admins, isn't it? I mean, what kind of rinky-dink operation are they running over there?

I took a personality test recently, and discovered that I myself am apparently a homophobe. No, wait, I've got that wrong, don't I - it's "humanphobe," not "homophobe." (Sorry...)

I'm actually more concerned about this new threat to our turd supply. Could these "turd burglars," regardless of sexual orientation, get personal DNA samples from stolen feces, set up a massive international database, and use it to invade the privacy of our precious toilet-time?

The mind reels!

Well, it was all oversighted. I wonder if they're going to do the same with List of rape victims too?

The process discussion is pretty hilarious in and of itself.

I have nominated {{lc|Turd burglar}} for discussion. Your opinions on the matter are welcome

Somebody else found the redirect pretty offensive, anyway....

Why is JzG still an admin?
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 22nd July 2007, 9:40pm) *

It had been created five earlier times by vandal-types, and deleted each time.

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 7:11am) *

Well, it was all oversighted. I wonder if they're going to do the same with List of rape victims too?

It actually has not been oversighted; it's just deleted and protected.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 7:39am) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 22nd July 2007, 9:40pm) *

It had been created five earlier times by vandal-types, and deleted each time.

Well, that makes the redirect from "Turd Burglar" to "Gay" perfectly logical, doesn't it?

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 7:39am) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 7:11am) *

It actually has not been oversighted; it's just deleted and protected.

I wasn't talking about the article for "Turd Burglar". I was talking about the diffs where JzG made the move and then protected it as being "obvious". That's what has been oversighted. I wonder why?
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 7:45am) *

I wasn't talking about the article for "Turd Burglar". I was talking about the diffs where JzG made the move and then protected it as being "obvious". That's what has been oversighted. I wonder why?

FieryAngel, it really hasn't been oversighted.
Somey
Ah, but for a non-admin, there's no essential difference really. And nobody is going to restore a couple of revisions for a deleted article called "Turd Burglar" just to show the world that JzG is capable of losing his temper, are they? smiling.gif

I mean, it's not as though everyone doesn't know that already...
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 8:03am) *

Ah, but for a non-admin, there's no essential difference really. And nobody is going to restore a couple of revisions for a deleted article called "Turd Burglar" just to show the world that JzG is capable of losing his temper, are they? smile.gif

There's no difference for a non-admin, but an admin can still see non-Oversighted pages and logs. The information would be available to that WikiTruth admin I keep hearing about.

This page hasn't been oversighted; it's just deleted and protected from editing. No one violated the Oversight policy by Oversighting a page that shouldn't have been Oversighted. And I think JzG's comment about "obvious" was concerning the page protection: it's been repeatedly recreated, so it's obvious it needs some protection. JMO, of course.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 8:14am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 8:03am) *

Ah, but for a non-admin, there's no essential difference really. And nobody is going to restore a couple of revisions for a deleted article called "Turd Burglar" just to show the world that JzG is capable of losing his temper, are they? smile.gif

There's no difference for a non-admin, but an admin can still see non-Oversighted pages and logs. The information would be available to that WikiTruth admin I keep hearing about.

This page hasn't been oversighted; it's just deleted and protected from editing. No one violated the Oversight policy by Oversighting a page that shouldn't have been Oversighted. And I think JzG's comment about "obvious" was concerning the page protection: it's been repeatedly recreated, so it's obvious it needs some protection. JMO, of course.

If it hasn't been oversighted, why is this edit no longer in JzG's edit history? Even if the redirect is no longer there, shouldn't the edit in which he created the redirect still be there? That's why I said "oversighted", because the entire history of that action is gone. It looks pretty suspicious to me....

...about the "obvious" comment....um, how is it "obvious" that "turd burglar" needs to redirect to "gay"? And if "turd burglar" is an obvious redirect to "gay", then why not redirect "flaming faggot", "goddamn queer" and "fuckin' pansy" to "gay" as well? Aren't they just as "obvious"? Perhaps you need to start a WP:Obvious Redirects to Gay Task Force to identify and redirect all of the terms which "obviously" need to redirect to "gay". There must be lots of them.

When you finish with the "obvious redirects" to "gay", you can then do the "obvious redirects" for black, jewish, latino, asian etc etc. The list goes on and on...
norsemoose
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 2:17am) *
If it hasn't been oversighted, why is this edit no longer in JzG's edit history? Even if the redirect is no longer there, shouldn't the edit in which he created the redirect still be there? That's why I said "oversighted", because the entire history of that action is gone. It looks pretty suspicious to me....

Deleted contributions don't show up in a user's edit history. There is, if I am not mistaken, a separate page, [[Special:DeletedContributions]], which can bring those up as well, but naturally, it's only available to sysops.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 9:17am) *

...about the "obvious" comment....um, how is it "obvious" that "turd burglar" needs to redirect to "gay"?

It's not. His comment about "obvious" was on the page protection action, not the creation of the redirect. I think the summary was meant like "obvious" this page needs protecting, since it's been recreated multiple times.

the fieryangel
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 11:13am) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 23rd July 2007, 9:17am) *

...about the "obvious" comment....um, how is it "obvious" that "turd burglar" needs to redirect to "gay"?

It's not. His comment about "obvious" was on the page protection action, not the creation of the redirect. I think the summary was meant like "obvious" this page needs protecting, since it's been recreated multiple times.

Well, according to this, the redirect was speedy-deleted because it fit into the criteria of "attack pages". Since the redirect was set up by JzG as an "obvious action", it goes without saying that he intended this as a homophobic action.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 25th July 2007, 9:46pm) *

Well, according to this, the redirect was speedy-deleted because it fit into the criteria of "attack pages". Since the redirect was set up by JzG as an "obvious action", it goes without saying that he intended this as a homophobic action.

This crappy page has been deleted six times now. It's obvious it needed protecting from recreation. The (luckily deleted) redirect to gay is offensive.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Wed 25th July 2007, 10:00pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 25th July 2007, 9:46pm) *

This crappy page has been deleted six times now. It's obvious it needed protecting from recreation. The (luckily deleted) redirect to gay is offensive.

Okay, we can agree on that....
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 25th July 2007, 10:06pm) *

Sorry, I thought it was clear that redirect is offensive, and didn't even bother mentioning it (because it seems self-evident, lke directing the "N"-word to [[African American]]). Two of my siblings are gay, and I'd absolutely hate to see either one of them see something like that; this isn't 1952 or something. I'm sorry if I got off-track with the clarification about the exact action the "obvious" comment occurred on. It should have been protected, but it shouldn't have been redirected there.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Wed 25th July 2007, 10:19pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 25th July 2007, 10:06pm) *

Sorry, I thought it was clear that redirect is offensive, and didn't even bother mentioning it (because it seems self-evident, lke directing the "N"-word to [[African American]]). Two of my siblings are gay, and I'd absolutely hate to see either one of them see something like that; this isn't 1952 or something. I'm sorry if I got off-track with the clarification about the exact action the "obvious" comment occurred on. It should have been protected, but it shouldn't have been redirected there.

Why then has no one mentioned anything about this on WP? The fact that Guy, as an admin., made this highly offensive redirect (on top of all of the other "incidents" that he's been a part of these days) has not been mentioned anywhere.

Just because you're depressed doesn't give you the right to do things like this. Why didn't one person say "That was really offensive, Guy. Don't do it again."?

It's as if there's some sort of cordon sanitaire around him these days, in spite of being as uncivil, uncouth and offensive as he ever was. People keep saying "come back, you're one of our best" and the like....which gives him yet another reason to come back and do the exact same things. When are you guys going to call him on these things?

I'm starting to think that the problem with Guy is simply that he's not very intelligent. I mean, saying that no women are important composers because there are none on his Ipod was simply a really stupid thing to say. This redirect is another shining example of that. And he's "one of your best"? Shirley, you gest!
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Thu 26th July 2007, 7:28am) *

Why then has no one mentioned anything about this on WP? The fact that Guy, as an admin., made this highly offensive redirect (on top of all of the other "incidents" that he's been a part of these days) has not been mentioned anywhere.

Just because you're depressed doesn't give you the right to do things like this. Why didn't one person say "That was really offensive, Guy. Don't do it again."?

It's as if there's some sort of cordon sanitaire around him these days, in spite of being as uncivil, uncouth and offensive as he ever was. People keep saying "come back, you're one of our best" and the like....which gives him yet another reason to come back and do the exact same things. When are you guys going to call him on these things?

I'm starting to think that the problem with Guy is simply that he's not very intelligent. I mean, saying that no women are important composers because there are none on his Ipod was simply a really stupid thing to say. This redirect is another shining example of that. And he's "one of your best"? Shirley, you gest!

I've asked JzG to tone it down in the past. It does no good, and in fact, my interference seemed to just egg him on further, making things even worse. There isn't a point in asking someone to stop doing something when it seems it will only cause them to continue the behavior, or that's my feeling on the matter. I'd guess some other folks on WP may feel the same way. And some people genuinely like him very much.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Thu 26th July 2007, 1:04pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Thu 26th July 2007, 7:28am) *

I'm starting to think that the problem with Guy is simply that he's not very intelligent.

I've asked JzG to tone it down in the past. It does no good, and in fact, my interference seemed to just egg him on further, making things even worse. There isn't a point in asking someone to stop doing something when it seems it will only cause them to continue the behavior, or that's my feeling on the matter. I'd guess some other folks on WP may feel the same way. And some people genuinely like him very much.

TFA: Yes, I think it is very likely that JzG is not very intelligent.

Firsfron: Of course JzG doesn't listen to you. You are less prominent and have less status than he does. He simply does not have to listen to you no matter how wrong or stupid he is. Not to worry though. You also benefit from this aspect of a dysfunctional social networking community. There are people more intelligent than you that you get block, ban and generally push around irrespective of the the merits of the particular matter that is the vehicle of your game play.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 26th July 2007, 8:05pm) *

Not to worry though. You also benefit from this aspect of a dysfunctional social networking community. There are people more intelligent than you that you get block, ban and generally push around irrespective of the the merits of the particular matter that is the vehicle of your game play.

Eh? Where did I do that? (I'm not saying I didn't do that, but where? Maybe I can apologize to the user I pushed around, blocked, and/or banned.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Thu 26th July 2007, 6:20pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 26th July 2007, 8:05pm) *

Not to worry though. You also benefit from this aspect of a dysfunctional social networking community. There are people more intelligent than you that you get block, ban and generally push around irrespective of the the merits of the particular matter that is the vehicle of your game play.

Eh? Where did I do that? (I'm not saying I didn't do that, but where? Maybe I can apologize to the user I pushed around, blocked, and/or banned.

I was referring, of course, to your being an admin. This is really not the right forum to seek approval and praise or to be a boyscout/cheerleader. You might try MySpace.com or given your social pretensions FaceBook.com.

This guy had you spot on from jump.
guy
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 27th July 2007, 2:10am) *

I was referring, of course, to your being an admin.

[moderating]We shouldn't automatically assume that all admins are the same. Some are quite nice, really, and AGF let's assume that Mr Firsfron is.[/moderating]
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(guy @ Fri 27th July 2007, 5:24am) *

[moderating]We shouldn't automatically assume that all admins are the same. Some are quite nice, really, and AGF let's assume that Mr Firsfron is.[/moderating]

Absolutely. Speaking of which, is everyone aware that Alkivar is getting slimed (literally, as in Durova and SlimVirgin are after him - maybe because he's on WR a lot, and they are on the outs with Brandt?

Maybe Alkivar is the new Poetlister. You know, they kill the person and leave the body for a warning to the rest?

Also: Turd burgler? I've never heard that one. Is it from the UK? Doesn't make sense. Homosexuals aren't theives, and those that are, probably aren't into stealing poop. smile.gif
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 27th July 2007, 1:10am) *

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Thu 26th July 2007, 6:20pm) *

Oh, ok. So it's just hypothetical pushing around, blocking, and banning. I was worried that it was something real: that I had done something to actually offend or upset someone. Like when I used the word "nor" so meanly.

This is really not the right forum to seek approval and praise or to be a boyscout/cheerleader. You might try MySpace.com or given your social pretensions FaceBook.com.

I don't think I've sought approval or praise from anyone, but I did already mention I've found MySpace.com useful. But as you believe "any reasonable person" would consider a MySpace.com referral an automatic insult, I wonder why you feel the need to insult me. I don't think those are the actions of "any reasonable person". But you're not "any reasonable person".

This is getting weird. You accuse me of things I haven't done, insult me without provocation, and act like I've insulted you. Whatever I've done to you, I apologize. Hurling insults at me because I'm admin doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I understood when I signed up to the forum that there would be people insulting other people, but you've made quite a few baseless accusations, including one that Somey indicated possibly wasn't even true. If you're just going to make shit up, be my guest, but people are going to start wondering how accurate your accusations are. Or, at least, "any reasonable person" will.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(guy @ Fri 27th July 2007, 11:24am) *

Thanks for assuming a little good faith, Guy.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Fri 27th July 2007, 2:29pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Fri 27th July 2007, 11:24am) *

Thanks for assuming a little good faith, Guy.

Look, my problems with you are as follows:
  • You do not contribute posts that either develop a criticism of WP, nor do you contribute any discussion (including rebuttal) of criticism of WP. You offer only banal, pat orthodox responses as if you were in a AfD discussion on WP.
  • You make posts designed to draw attention to yourself.
  • You are condensending .
  • You hold yourself out as some model admin, as if that had anything to do with, or was some kind of reply to, the trainwreck that is wikipedia.
For some time I voluntarily held back from confronting you. I thought based on the nature of your contributions to WP that you were either a little kid or perhaps disabled. It appears you are neither, but merely drawn to juvenile matters. That does not get you the kind treatment I would have afforded to a child.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 27th July 2007, 9:08pm) *

Look, my problems with you are as follows: [list]
[*] You do not contribute posts that either developed a criticism of WP, nor do you contribute any discussion (including rebuttal) of criticism of WP. You offer only banal, pat orthodox responses as if you were in a AfD discussion on WP.

You are a liar. Stop making shit up. I certainly have made posts here critical of Wikipedia; apparently, they haven't been rabid enough for you, but not everyone on WR posts messages that way.

For some time I voluntarily held back from confronting you.

You are a liar. Stop making shit up. You've been confronting me (oddly, with weird half-made allegations) since around my third day here. It's already old. If you merely find my posts "banal", don't reply to them.
JTM
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Fri 27th July 2007, 12:43pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Fri 27th July 2007, 5:24am) *

Absolutely. Speaking of which, is everyone aware that Alkivar is getting slimed (literally, as in Durova and SlimVirgin are after him - maybe because he's on WR a lot, and they are on the outs with Brandt?

Maybe Alkivar is the new Poetlister. You know, they kill the person and leave the body for a warning to the rest?

Also: Turd burgler? I've never heard that one. Is it from the UK? Doesn't make sense. Homosexuals aren't theives, and those that are, probably aren't into stealing poop. smile.gif

In the UK, the toilet stall doors extend from top to bottom, thus making it difficult from the outside to discern whether the unit is occupied (and also explains why the term "closet" is used, since a line of stalls look like a row of closet doors). In the United States, it's relatively easy to ascertain if a stall is being used insofar as there's usually at least a foot of space from the door to the floor, unless the person inside has his feet pulled up. Of course, there are also the mens' restrooms in primary and secondary schools that have no doors at all.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.