Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JzG starts to lose it completely.....
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > JzG
SirFozzie
Um.. that 2nd quote? Is Tony saying that Violetriga, who is on the edge of being de-adminned, is the one causing the issue.. not Guy.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:18pm) *

Um.. that 2nd quote? Is Tony saying that Violetriga, who is on the edge of being de-adminned, is the one causing the issue.. not Guy.

Perhaps I read it wrong or misunderstood. But the only unbelievable thing that I see here is that no one has commented at all on the "turd burglar" redirect or on the other incivilities of JzG. If anyone is to be de-adminned, surely it must be JzG?
SirFozzie
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 24th July 2007, 5:21pm) *

Perhaps I read it wrong or misunderstood. But the only unbelievable thing that I see here is that no one has commented at all on the "turd burglar" redirect or on the other incivilities of JzG. If anyone is to be de-adminned, surely it must be JzG?

Nope.

From the Badlydrawnjeff RfArb

2.1) Violetriga is admonished for undeleting content which was deleted under the BLP policy without going through a full discussion to determine its appropriateness, as outlined above. Any future administrator action that violates the BLP policy will result in her immediate desyopping once it is brought to the attention of the Committee.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:25pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 24th July 2007, 5:21pm) *

Nope.

From the Badlydrawnjeff RfArb

2.1) Violetriga is admonished for undeleting content which was deleted under the BLP policy without going through a full discussion to determine its appropriateness, as outlined above. Any future administrator action that violates the BLP policy will result in her immediate desyopping once it is brought to the attention of the Committee.

Who cares what the Arb-com thinks! JzG has already been documented making sexist, anti-transgendered and now overtly homophobic statements. How come nobody is asking for his de-adminning?

Since you all seem to think that List of rape victims is a pretty good idea, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprized....but still, you know, there is that basic thing called human rights that some of us like to think is, like, important or something.....At least, more important than what the Arb-com thinks.....
the fieryangel
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 24th July 2007, 9:34pm) *

Who cares what the Arb-com thinks! JzG has already been documented making sexist, anti-transgendered and now overtly homophobic statements. How come nobody is asking for his de-adminning?

Since you all seem to think that List of rape victims is a pretty good idea, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprized....but still, you know, there is that basic thing called human rights that some of us like to think is, like, important or something.....At least, more important than what the Arb-com thinks.....

Here comes Karma....JzG gets blocked for 24 hours for "wheel-warring".....

....Good thing that he's away from WP, huh?
badlydrawnjeff
Chances are, if Tony sees a problem with someone, whoever Tony's seeing the problem with is the innocent one.
Nathan
The whole "JzG losing it" thing, that assumes he had "it" in the first place. >:)

..and I agree with Jeff (from my own experience).
badlydrawnjeff
No, JzG's usually reasonable, although he has his lapses. But thanks to whoever posted this thread - nothing like old-school Sidaway nonsense to knock the "Gee, maybe I should go contribute" thoughts out of my head.
Disillusioned Lackey
JzG not only got blocked, but he came back under his IP address, during the block, and the IP address got re-blocked here:

21:52, 24 July 2007, Messedrocker (Talk | contribs) blocked #575817 (expires 21:52, 25 July 2007, account creation blocked) (Autoblocked because your IP address was recently used by "JzG". The reason given for JzG's block is: "wheel warring".)

This is the IP edit that got his IP blocked

==[[User:67.177.149.119]]==This guy is [[User:ParalelUni]], whose community ban was endorsed by arbcom in [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/St Christopher]], and since you blocked him for a month in September he has mostly hung around on [[Talk:St Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine]]. Then tonight he drew attention to himself by, amongst other things, undoing Jimbo's courtesy blanking of [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Badlydrawnjeff]]. --[[User:82.18.15.199|82.18.15.199]] 02:17, 25 July 2007 (UTC)

So yes, he is apparently out of sorts. The same day he blanked his user page and put this edit on it.

Hath not a Sysop hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions . . . ? If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge? with apologies to William Shakespeare
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 24th July 2007, 6:20pm) *

Here comes Karma....JzG gets blocked for 24 hours for "wheel-warring".....

....Good thing that he's away from WP, huh?

Twenty-four hours reduced to less than 4 hours. For good behavior, I'm sure.

Greg
Somey
Let's try to put this in perspective. User:JzG and User:Violetriga were edit-warring over whether or not WP should identify, by name, the so-called Baby_81 who survived the tsunami caused by the 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake. JzG didn't want the kid identified, and deleted the redirect from the kid's name, but Violetriga did and presumably still does. What's more, this edit-warring continued even after the two were blocked, with User:Physchim62 trying to remove the name, and User:Bielle putting it back (the most recent revision as of right now).

We've discussed this before, in this thread, which came up after User:Doc_glasgow actually deleted the article in question. That was one of the incidents that led to the Badlydrawnjeff ArbCom case.

I'm afraid I have to agree with JzG on this one, as much as I always hate to do that - there's simply no need to identify this 2-year-old by name. It doesn't add anything to the article, really, and if they want to do something worthwhile in there they should fix the term "mothers arms" which should read "mother's arms," as it's a possessive.

So no, JzG should not have been blocked for that, even for just four hours. He should be blocked (and desysopped) for all sorts of other things, but not that.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 25th July 2007, 5:53am) *

So no, JzG should not have been blocked for that, even for just four hours. He should be blocked (and desysopped) for all sorts of other things, but not that.

Well, whether or not he was right is kind of moot at this point (I must admit that I too agree that the child should not be mentioned). He seems to be having some sort of "stress", as recent events have seemed to indicate. He also is supposedly on "wikibreak" because of said stress and because he's "somewhat disillusioned".

If he's really in that frame of mind, what is he doing having an edit war about this? And if he needs a wikifix THAT bad, isn't it time to maybe wonder if this isn't a serious addiction?

I wonder what he did during the four hours he was banned?

UPDATE : JzG makes a dramatic entrance and announces to WP that he's leaving and going home to mother....

So much for the "Arb-com sez that WP is a drama-free zone" bit....Why watch soap-operas when you can watch this?
CrazyGameOfPoker
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 25th July 2007, 3:18am) *

So much for the "Arb-com sez that WP is a drama-free zone" bit....Why watch soap-operas when you can watch this?

This is exactly why I'm glad that my workplace doesn't screen out Wikipedia. All the drama, and there's no good reason to block it smile.gif
dtobias
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 25th July 2007, 1:53am) *

I'm afraid I have to agree with JzG on this one, as much as I always hate to do that - there's simply no need to identify this 2-year-old by name. It doesn't add anything to the article, really, and if they want to do something worthwhile in there they should fix the term "mothers arms" which should read "mother's arms," as it's a possessive.

There... corrected. You "Attack Sites" are good for something, no matter what the Clique says.

Really, I wonder if there's all that much substantive difference in opinion on policy regarding articles on real-world stuff between the Wikipedia Clique and the Wikipedia Review Gang any more? You both (once you ignore the more intemperate rhetoric on both sides) seem to have wound up in a position calling for stringent controls of anything about living persons that might possibly be harmful. The remaining differences are mostly over matters of internal policy, like the silly "No Attack Site Links" pseudo-policy, or are simply clashes of individual personalities in conflict. The opposing factions within each side are also very different -- the Wikipedia Clique these days is mostly fighting against radical inclusionists like Badlydrawnjeff who don't like the direction the clique has taken lately in support of all the courtesy blankings and BLP deletions, while the WR Gang has the "Wikipedia Is Evil and Must Be Destroyed" sub-gang to deal with... but the mainstream, moderate positions on either side seem remarkably similar these days.

I, for one, think that if the baby's name has been regularly mentioned in the news (I haven't actually been following that case enough to know to what extent it is), there ought to be at least a redirect from it, so I guess I'm not in either of the mainstream factions here.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 25th July 2007, 11:43am) *

while the WR Gang has the "Wikipedia Is Evil and Must Be Destroyed" sub-gang to deal with...

It would seem that when people like Kelly Martin start posting things along the lines of "WP is evil and must be destroyed" (if you've been following her blog, you'll see what I mean) and when JzG starts doing page move vandalism à la Willie on Wheels (what do you suppose the "turd burglar" caper was about?) that you have to perhaps start thinking that a fundamental change in attitude towards WP was perhaps in order.

I think that the "WP is evil and must be destroyed" is going to get much more mainstream....At least that's the trend...
The Joy
I usually don't believe an administrator has left or means to leave until he asks to be desysopped. As long as he has the buttons, there's a strong chance he'll return soon the same as ever.

If he is, does anyone think he'll have to go back to RFA for leaving under "controversial" reasons?
the fieryangel
JzG does his Bette Davis interpretation.

Guy, there's an obvious answer to all of this: if it really makes you that depressed, stop doing it!!!

How complicated is that?

(PS. I forgive you for being homophobic, sexist, anti-transgendered and anti-Catholic, but that doesn't give you an excuse to keep doing all of that...However, in light of all of that, why was it so important to make this edit?)

(PPS to Squeaky: Now, honestly, do you really think that the "turd burglar" edit was evidence of doing a "good job"? I don't believe that you meant that for a minute, Squeaky...)
thekohser
QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 25th July 2007, 7:43am) *

There... corrected. You "Attack Sites" are good for something, no matter what the Clique says.

Ya think, Daniel? Here's another one I'd like the Cliqubal to consider:

Please observe an article about (now 15-year-old) Mao Kobayashi when I came across it.

Note, especially, that there was a titillating photo of the girl (now deleted). Also note this important encyclopedic information (now deleted):

Despite her young age, the early-matured Mao's photos are rather risque in nature, and deliberately conceived as sexy images in which she wears swimsuits, school uniforms and maid costumes

There was also an external link to a photo-riddled web page (momo-mints.com), which has since been thankfully taken down on the Web, but is still linked to from the Wikipedia page.

Before I came upon that article, Wikipedia was essentially acting as a lurid publisher of information about a 15-year-old girl who has posed in various prurient situations. Name included, of course.

As the article now stands, the profile photo has been deleted, the comments about her "risque" images have been deleted, and in all, the article portrays this minor in a much more forgiving light.

However, now we know her blood type is AB. What kind of encyclopedia publishes the BLOOD TYPE of a 15-year-old girl? In what way is that important to anyone but the Emergency Room at a hospital?

In summary, you're making progress, but there's still a fair number of insane editors in your midst.

Greg
JoseClutch
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th July 2007, 11:42am) *

However, now we know her blood type is AB. What kind of encyclopedia publishes the BLOOD TYPE of a 15-year-old girl? In what way is that important to anyone but the Emergency Room at a hospital?

Actually, I'd bet most Japanese celebrity guides include blood type. Any authorised Japanese biography of would almost certainly have it. It's a cultural thing - the Japanese think of blood type the way North Americans/Europeans think of astrological sign.
The Joy
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 26th July 2007, 12:07pm) *

Actually, I'd bet most Japanese celebrity guides include blood type. Any authorised Japanese biography of would almost certainly have it. It's a cultural thing - the Japanese think of blood type the way North Americans/Europeans think of astrological sign.

I kept coming across that kind of thing and thought it was disturbing. You just saved me making a fool of myself on the Japanese WikiProject. I would've been accused of accusing the Asian pop culture editors of being vampires!

JzG doesn't seem to really want to leave. I don't think he will. He has admitted having a sockpuppet for editing without fear of trolls coming after him. If he does leave and resigns, be on the lookout for unexplained sysoppings of accounts without a RFA.
thekohser

Does it therefore seem appropriate for an English-language encyclopedia run on American servers?

Anyway, regardless of that answer, I learned on Wikipedia about [[Japanese blood type theory of personality]] that someone of AB type has:

Best Traits: Cool, controlled, rational.
Worst Traits: Aloof, critical, indecisive.

That's good to know about a fringe 15-year-old celebrity of prurient photography. Great encyclopedia.

Greg
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th July 2007, 8:22pm) *

Does it therefore seem appropriate for an English-language encyclopedia run on American servers?

Anyway, regardless of that answer, I learned on Wikipedia about [[Japanese blood type theory of personality]] that someone of AB type has:

Best Traits: Cool, controlled, rational.
Worst Traits: Aloof, critical, indecisive.

That's good to know about a fringe 15-year-old celebrity of prurient photography. Great encyclopedia.

Greg

I wonder if Japan has a similar distribution of blood types as US/Europe? Something like 70 - 75% are either O+ or A+. A theory that imputes personality characteristics based on a physical attributes would seem to require more variety. Maybe this says something about the social value of conformity in Japanese society?
thekohser
Now I'm wondering if our discussions here have inspired Tony Sidaway to do things like this.

The cynic in me says the Cabal is trying to "clean up" Wikipedia's image by sacrificing the blatantly prurient things that would appeal to pre-pubescent minds, so that they'll have more authoritative respect when they control articles about Israeli-Arab conflict, PETA, evolution, and the like.

Greg
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th July 2007, 10:19pm) *

Now I'm wondering if our discussions here have inspired Tony Sidaway to do things like this.

The cynic in me says the Cabal is trying to "clean up" Wikipedia's image by sacrificing the blatantly prurient things that would appeal to pre-pubescent minds, so that they'll have more authoritative respect when they control articles about Israeli-Arab conflict, PETA, evolution, and the like.

Greg

Exactly. You nailed it Greg. That's why they seem to sometimes align with serious (WR) critics. I think the response should be 1) turn up the rhetoric; 2) Give them no credit for areas of agreement ;3) focus on the dysfunctional aspects of WP "community processes, and 4) insist that solution to problem like BLP, POV pushing, reliability, protecting children, decency etc be imposed from outside the "community."
JoseClutch
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th July 2007, 10:22pm) *

I personally don't have a problem with it. It seems "silly" - the same as "Fabio is a Capricorn" would seem silly (I've no idea if he is). I don't have a problem with treating people respectfully within their own cultural standards, rather than imposing ''my'' cultural standards on her (in fact, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with imposing my cultural standards on someone else). This information was almost certainly deliberately released by her or her agent - because she either wants people to know, or feels it's reasonable for them to know - and again, I'm not sure it's appropriate to impose my views on other people. Wikipedia is trying to be "Universal" rather than "American" (which as a non-American, I support a fair bit) - and treating people within their own cultural norms seems the most appropriate way to do things.

For what it's worth, my blood type is A+. I'm not sure what you can do with that.
Nathan
Probably nothing, mine's A+ as well. (However, in my case, ED will note it in large letters)

...but I don't think anything can be done with that info.
makomk
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th July 2007, 4:42pm) *
There was also an external link to a photo-riddled web page (momo-mints.com), which has since been thankfully taken down on the Web, but is still linked to from the Wikipedia page.

Before I came upon that article, Wikipedia was essentially acting as a lurid publisher of information about a 15-year-old girl who has posed in various prurient situations. Name included, of course.

As the article now stands, the profile photo has been deleted, the comments about her "risque" images have been deleted, and in all, the article portrays this minor in a much more forgiving light.

It may portray her in a more flattering light, but it's a less informative article for it. Also, momo-mints.com appears to be the official webpage for an idol group (possibly now disbanded) that she was part of. Personally, I don't think that Wikipedia should have an article about her at all, but as it stands the article is whitewashing the situation. (Of course, there was definitely no need to include photos of her...)
Somey
Not to veer the thread too far back onto its original topic or anything, but I noticed the other day that JzG's personal website at chapmancentral.co.uk is now a MediaWiki installation. Acting on a hunch, I took a look at the user list, and there were only two registered accounts, one of whom is JzG himself - even though the whole thing is completely open to editing, including by AnonIP's. Dang, doesn't anybody like JzG enough to go and register on his personal wiki? And, you know, maybe write an article or two...? unsure.gif

This fascinating development seems to neatly coincide with JzG's recent spate of extreme irritability, including his unusually nasty comments about us here at WR. I wonder if the two things are related somehow?

Personally, I like Joomla. It's more flexible, has better skin selections, and even has better security (though apparently that's not saying much). PHP-Nuke is pretty good too, I've heard!
Kato
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 31st July 2007, 10:04am) *

Not to veer the thread too far back onto its original topic or anything, but I noticed the other day that JzG's personal website at chapmancentral.co.uk is now a MediaWiki installation. Acting on a hunch, I took a look at the user list, and there were only two registered accounts, one of whom is JzG himself - even though the whole thing is completely open to editing, including by AnonIP's. Dang, doesn't anybody like JzG enough to go and register on his personal wiki? And, you know, maybe write an article or two...? unsure.gif

This fascinating development seems to neatly coincide with JzG's recent spate of extreme irritability, including his unusually nasty comments about us here at WR. I wonder if the two things are related somehow?

Personally, I like Joomla. It's more flexible, has better skin selections, and even has better security (though apparently that's not saying much). PHP-Nuke is pretty good too, I've heard!

As perhaps the only person here who has some sympathy for JzG - or at least I think he's merely a flawed human being like the rest of us rather than some rabid sexist, homophobic, anti-papist villain - I might contribute to his wiki myself. Promoting cycling is always a good thing after all.

JzG on WP could be incredibly rude and his actions completely misplaced at times. But he did have enough of a brain and heart to recognize the damage WP can cause, and he fought the good fight in various areas. In the long run, WP is more dangerous without both JzG and DocGlasgow.
Docknell
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 31st July 2007, 9:21am) *

As perhaps the only person here who has some sympathy for JzG - or at least I think he's merely a flawed human being like the rest of us rather than some rabid sexist, homophobic, anti-papist villain - I might contribute to his wiki myself. Promoting cycling is always a good thing after all.

JzG on WP could be incredibly rude and his actions completely misplaced at times. But he did have enough of a brain and heart to recognize the damage WP can cause, and he fought the good fight in various areas. In the long run, WP is more dangerous without both JzG and DocGlasgow.

Maybe you are right. I found him to be quite inconsistent. In fact I suspect he is guilty of being as mediocre as the bits of wp he criticises. Doc
Amarkov
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 31st July 2007, 1:21am) *

Of course he's sometimes been correct in what he's arguing for. Anyone who is not activelytrying to be evil will sometimes argue for the right thing. And I can't bring myself to have sympathy for someone just because they aren't deliberately evil.
Miltopia
"Even a blind pig will by chance find a nut", as my old Theory of Knowledge teacher used to say.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.