Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Alkivar the New Poetlister?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Disillusioned Lackey
is everyone aware that Alkivar is getting slimed -literally, as in SlimVirgin is after him - as is Durova - maybe because he's on WR a lot, and they are on the outs with Brandt?

Here is his horrific, uncivil comment, that has launched great hue-and-cry.

**See the autobiography "Groucho and Me" by Groucho Marx (Published 1960). Which uses said image in a modified form ons its cover and as an insert within. Image credits in book for said photo read "Copyright © 1950 National Broadcasting Corporation". 1950 was the year You Bet Your Life went from radio to television, this image is mentioned as being part of the promotional material for You Bet Your Life within the book itself. I would think Groucho Marx himself would be the ultimate authority on who owns a photo of him. As such we can be pretty damn sure this came from an NBC press kit. (edit comment: Tracked the source for you, now get off my ass

Is "damn sure" and get off my ass are now actionable profanity on Wikipedia? wacko.gif

Some major irony from the always-imperious Durova:

And one decent guy:

Oh, and first Durova says she has no firsthand experience with Alkivar to warrant suggesting an RFC, then two minutes later she claims that he sent her a mean email. Probably a load of nonsense. Unless she suddenly decided to *remember* the email. dry.gif

Random thoughts:
  • I always had a fairly good impression of Alkivar.
  • [User:Nick] is toast for contesting not only SV, but Durova (the coven?) - predict a ban or indef within the next few months.
  • Maybe Alkivar is the new Poetlister. You know, they kill the person and leave the body for a warning to the rest?
  • Note the lack of calls for a RFAR for JzG, when he's been homophobing all over the place. And tons more abusive than Alkivar ever could have been. And PROFANE as all get-out
  • I'm thinking that Alkivar is the hostage against Brandt's republication of SV and Durova's names. I can visualize them with a knife to his throat, telling Brandt to back off.
dtobias
It appears the "incivility" they're talking about is his edit comment, which said "tracked down the source for you... now get off my ass".
thekohser
From the Incivility Review Board:

It was not single instance at all. Alkivar has a history of being rude and incapable of accepting criticism.

Could not one replace the word "Alkivar" with "JzG" and have an even more true description of character?
Somey
QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 27th July 2007, 12:35pm) *
It appears the "incivility" they're talking about is his edit comment, which said "tracked down the source for you... now get off my ass".

Do we have evidence that the editor was or was not actually on Alkivar's ass at the time?

Because, you know, if there's video evidence showing this person positioned in some way on the ass in question, then I'll just bet there are lots of people who'd like to see that. And with YouTube, sharing video is easier than ever!

I'm just suggesting this as a public-service sort of thing... I doubt that such video exists, to be honest, and I wouldn't want to see it myself of course, as I'm not really into that sort of thing.

(Usually.)
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 27th July 2007, 11:35am) *

If you read the responses by Nick who was defending Alkivar, reportedly this "on the ass" person had been deleting a lot of pictures, or otherwise bothering Alkivar, and putting him in the position of having to continually repeat himself and/or justify himself. That's irritating. And I don't think that "get off my ass" is that bad of a thing to say. And it was in an edit comment, which gives it some diminuation. How precious do they want to get? This is just silly, and really some kind of targeting. Again, hark back to JzG, who randomly spews out profanity, abuse, and then claims it is his special private humor, and/or goes on a wikibreak to avoid confrontation?

Then when Durova pops up, claims she doesnt know him well, but has a bad impression of him (non-specific WP:Badmouthing) and then shortly thereafter she claims to have received an offensive email from him. It all seems a bit contrived.

Maybe I've become paranoid from all this experience with wikipedia politics, and maybe it is a good old fashioned spontaneous scapegoating. But Durova and Slimvirgin don't get involved in just-every attack, and to see them in a perfect storm is sort of compelling.

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 27th July 2007, 11:51am) *
Do we have evidence that the editor was or was not actually on Alkivar's ass at the time?

Lol. I doubt that there was a vid-cam on hand to prove anything, but maybe you could consult Bomis.com's old records for some kind of "getting off the ass" action. Email Jimbo for a one of the remaining preferred accounts. He only gives them to "special friends". wink.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
Well, here is it. The RFC. SV and Durova haven't yet weighed in. My money is that they wait until a critical mass signs in, and then they speak up as if they really weren't the ones driving it.

Hang in there Alkivar. It really does thseem that they are doing this to you as WR/Brandt payback.
CrazyGameOfPoker
I highly doubt it.

Alkivar's been controversial in the past, and always seemed to skirt by when the water was starting to get hot.

This is certainly not his first time where his conduct has been inappropriate. It also probably won't be his last.
Alkivar
I love how no one has even blinked twice that the person who started this whole mess Abu Badali is currently up before arbcom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...tion/Abu_badali

and has also been subject to an RFC in the past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...ment/Abu_badali

but oh no... me telling the guy stalking my edit contributions, and mass listing my uploads at IFD to "get off my ass" was being incivil...

as for the other guy Videmus Omnia who is complaining... I simply told him "I'll kindly ask you to step off and not get involved", when he persisted I told him, "As for "step off"... you are not an administrator, you should not be involving yourself in my affairs until said time you become an administrator" hoping he would back off because he is not an admin and should not become involved in the dispute... it was him who created the RFC page.

SV and Durova are just hitchhikers on this wonderful ride into the depths of wikiabsurdity.

To the best of my knowledge i have never engaged in email correspondence with Durova.
SV yes... Durova no...

... and thats all i'm going to say on this matter.
guy
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Fri 27th July 2007, 5:50pm) *

Random thoughts:
  • Maybe Alkivar is the new Poetlister. You know, they kill the person and leave the body for a warning to the rest?

I don't think they're that comparable. There was no RfC against Poetlister, was there? They just banned her without warning.
GoodFaith
There's a gang of obsessed users who want all non-Commons images deleted off Wikipedia. They harass and torment anyone who crosses the.

See, for example, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...ea_for_Civility

A plea for civility receives namecalling, threats, blocks, and even a checkuser request. This is nutty stuff.

As for Alkivar, the delete-images gang has team up with the power trippers. I wouldn't want to be in his place.
A Man In Black
Alkivar's a good guy who's a bit rough around the edges. I really don't hope this BS gets trumped up into something bigger than it is.

I wrote an outside view, by the by.
GoodFaith
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Fri 27th July 2007, 5:11pm) *

Alkivar's a good guy who's a bit rough around the edges. I really don't hope this BS gets trumped up into something bigger than it is.

I wrote an outside view, by the by.

Blacky, are you part of the problem or the solution? When I see crap like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=147580449

...it raises eyebrows. Apparently you think making Wikipedia worse is a good thing!
michael
QUOTE(Alkivar @ Fri 27th July 2007, 2:40pm) *

I love how no one has even blinked twice that the person who started this whole mess Abu Badali is currently up before arbcom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...tion/Abu_badali

Note that the case is currently favoring Abu badali. He will only be counselled (as opposed to the original proposal of probation), and controverisal findings of facts such as "Abu badali is incivil" and "Some users find Abu badali's actions to be vindcitvie" aren't passing.
A Man In Black
QUOTE(GoodFaith @ Sat 28th July 2007, 12:30am) *

Blacky, are you part of the problem or the solution? When I see crap like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=147580449

...it raises eyebrows. Apparently you think making Wikipedia worse is a good thing!

I'm part of the non-free image cabal, alas. You didn't know? My talk page is regularly full of complaints from when I go gallery-busting, and the TV station Wikiproject hates me for it.

It's kind of OT for this thread, but I'm not a fair-use hater or (I hope, but who can really tell about themselves?) a power-tripper. Catch me on WP or make a separate thread here if you're curious about the details of my reasoning.
GoodFaith
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Sat 28th July 2007, 1:05am) *

It's kind of OT for this thread, but I'm not a fair-use hater or (I hope, but who can really tell about themselves?) a power-tripper. Catch me on WP or make a separate thread here if you're curious about the details of my reasoning.

Like I said, you're either part of the problem or the solution. Running around destroying things is not helping. Change your ways, my friend.

QUOTE(michael @ Sat 28th July 2007, 1:01am) *

Note that the case is currently favoring Abu badali. He will only be counselled (as opposed to the original proposal of probation), and controverisal findings of facts such as "Abu badali is incivil" and "Some users find Abu badali's actions to be vindcitvie" aren't passing.

Admins are so used to talking about trolls that they can't recognize one when s/he shows up. mad.gif
A Man In Black
QUOTE(GoodFaith @ Sat 28th July 2007, 4:08am) *

Like I said, you're either part of the problem or the solution. Running around destroying things is not helping. Change your ways, my friend.

Wow, that's a really convincing cliche! I am moved from my carefully considered position that you didn't even bother to find out about!

Thank you, GoodFaith, you've shown me the error of my ways!
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Sat 28th July 2007, 8:05am) *

I'm part of the non-free image cabal, alas. You didn't know? My talk page is regularly full of complaints from when I go gallery-busting, and the TV station Wikiproject hates me for it.

Not all the editors on WP:TVS hate you. Some clearly do. You could have used a softer touch with the mass deletions and the (in my opinion) overly rigid interpretation of WP:FUC, but I wouldn't say the whole WikiProject hates you, because the galleries of FU images were clearly overboard. Sorry for the off-topicness.
A Man In Black
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Sat 28th July 2007, 4:45am) *

Not all the editors on WP:TVS hate you. Some clearly do. You could have used a softer touch with the mass deletions and the (in my opinion) overly rigid interpretation of WP:FUC, but I wouldn't say the whole WikiProject hates you, because the galleries of FU images were clearly overboard. Sorry for the off-topicness.

Well, I've tried to make amends a bit, and I know I didn't totally piss everyone off. This is WR, though; what would it be without sweeping generalizations to make a point?

As for being on-topic, I think this thread has officially wandered, anyway.
gomi
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Sat 28th July 2007, 2:26am) *

QUOTE(GoodFaith @ Sat 28th July 2007, 4:08am) *

Wow, that's a really convincing cliche! I am moved from my carefully considered position that you didn't even bother to find out about!

Thank you, GoodFaith, you've shown me the error of my ways!

Another cliche: sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.

Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Sat 28th July 2007, 9:51am) *

Well, I've tried to make amends a bit, and I know I didn't totally piss everyone off. This is WR, though; what would it be without sweeping generalizations to make a point?

Hee! OK, valid point. Sorry to ruin that one for you.
GoodFaith
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Sat 28th July 2007, 2:51am) *

OK, I'll be specific: what you did was vandalism. Being an admin, I'm sure you have a good explanation for it. Regardless, you made the site worse.

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Sat 28th July 2007, 2:45am) *

I think the craze for image deletions is so intense that it must be some sort of sexual fetish.

In the real world, fair use is a necessary component of free speech. The law allows it for the purposes of purposes of criticism, news reporting, teaching and parody. That includes Wikipedia.
GoodFaith
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Sun 29th July 2007, 2:16pm) *

OK, valid point. Sorry to ruin that one for you.

Point is that literally thousands of people are being harassed and insulted -- even though they did absolutely nothing wrong. Nothing in US law requires these ad hoc rationales for fair use. These policies are just a way for admins to push people around -- and to try and force people to donate "free" visual content. It is despicable.
Poetlister
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Fri 27th July 2007, 5:50pm) *

Maybe Alkivar is the new Poetlister. You know, they kill the person and leave the body for a warning to the rest?

I don't see that everyone who gets beaten up and banned is necessarily like me. Basically, Alkivar is the new Alkivar.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(GoodFaith @ Sun 29th July 2007, 9:59pm) *

These policies are just a way for admins to push people around -- and to try and force people to donate "free" visual content. It is despicable.

I have been pushed around myself over images I uploaded, by non-admins (so I'm not sure this particular issue is about admins pushing people around). I don't agree that mass deletions of images are necessary, but I don't think there is a need for galleries of hundreds of Fair Use images on Wikipedia (or anywhere else).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.