Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linda helped suppress info on PanAm 103
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Daniel Brandt
Not long after she was fired from ABC, Linda began a petition drive against Allan Francovich's film. Here are six pages from Susan and Daniel Cohen, Pan Am 103: The Bombing, The Betrayals, and a Bereaved Family's Search for Justice (New York: New American Library, 2000). The book is not indexed, but I believe this is all of the Linda Mack material in it. You cannot see these pages in Google Books, except one or two sentences at a time that hit on a keyword.

Page 229 | Page 230 | Page 231 | Page 232 | Page 233 | Page 234

I don't know whether Allan Francovich's movie was any good because I never saw it. I did read Lester Coleman's book, and in my opinion it is credible. Francovich made the best documentary that's ever been made about the CIA, titled On Company Business, which I saw on public television in the San Francisco area in 1981. On April 17, 1997, Allan Francovich suddenly died of a heart attack at age 56, upon arrival at Houston Airport. Some consider his death suspicious.

The main point of reproducing these pages is not to promote or condemn the Cohen's version of events in this book, other than to say that they have no doubt whatsoever that Libya did it. I also don't know if Francovich was still making decent documentaries by then, or if this Pan Am 103 film was some sort of opportunistic knock-off. These questions do not interest me at the moment.

The point here is to show that "with Linda Mack taking the lead, we helped organize a petition against the film." This is not the sort of activity that anyone with any pretensions of being a former professional in the field of journalism would do. In fact, if you are a staff reporter for a major newspaper, more often than not it is against the publisher's guidelines to even do things like attend peace-movement rallies on your own time.

It should be against Wikipedia rules for editors to own articles on topics where they've shown marked bias in the past. But then, how would Wikipedia know, since powerful editors and admins are allowed to remain anonymous?

That's a huge problem with Wikipedia, and one that they will never solve.
guy
there's no doubt that Linda Mack had some credibility as a journalist. She published a story in the Times once (that's the Times, not the New York Times) albeit only once.
Herschelkrustofsky
This is fascinating stuff, and very complicated. You are right to avoiding drawing any conclusions beyond the obvious one, which is that Linda Mack was engaged in very un-journalistic activity.

A few things jumped out at me, and one of them was Tiny Rowland. The LaRouche organization published an interesting book back in 1993 called Tiny Rowland, the Ugly Face of Neocolonialism in Africa, and got into quite a fracas with Mr. Rowland as a result. The book excerpts you provide indicate that Rowland was trying to point the Lockerbie finger away from Libya. However, the LaRouche publications also indicated that Libya was a red herring:

I attacked the silly, and dangerous efforts to repeat the massive cover-up conducted in the case of the bombing of Pan Am 103. In that case, those concerned to cover up for certain parties to which they themselves were connected, blamed a bemused Libya for acts which have been traced to, among others, Paris-based agents representing a branch of Syria's intelligence services.

...Similarly, the honest investigation of the sabotage of Pan Am 103 led to a Syrian intelligence network, that of Paris-based Rifaad Assad and ex-car thief and drug-trafficker Monzar al-Kassar, associated with George Bush's weapons- trafficking operations. To cover for the fact that this was a connection of the British and U.S. surrogate-President-in-charge- of-vice George Bush, the blame was fixed, fraudulently, upon Qaddafi's Libya. --Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., "Echoes of Civil Wars in Ancient Rome"
GoodFaith
So who's nuttier: Linda Mack or Lyndon Larouche?
norsemoose
QUOTE(GoodFaith @ Tue 31st July 2007, 5:17pm) *

So who's nuttier: Linda Mack or Lyndon Larouche?

They are just as nutty, but on the opposite extreme.
tarantino
Also fascinating is one of her first tasks as User:SlimVirgin was outing what she thought was Herschelkrustofsky's IRL name. It's still posted on various WP pages. I wonder why Jayjg hasn't oversighted those?

On a similar subject, someone thinks they know who Jayjg is. The name is somewhat common, but a couple of hits are intriguing and worth further investigation.

LamontStormstar
Andrew Blum?
blissyu2
QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 1st August 2007, 11:28am) *

On a similar subject, someone thinks they know who Jayjg is. The name is somewhat common, but a couple of hits are intriguing and worth further investigation.

If you think that you know who Jayjg is, can you open it in a new thread please? It just gets confusing to talk about it here, on a link that we can't properly check out.
The Adversary
See what Linda did not want you to see smile.gif --The film, – The Maltese Double Cross, can be downloaded from this site: http://www.thedossier.ukonline.co.uk/video_cover-ups.htm ....scroll down to Allan Francovich. (I just started looking; the technical quality is unfortunately not very good)

PS: as to the Adrew Blum-story: I think somebody is placing some false leads here..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.