Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How sick are wikipedia admins that they punish people just for protesting their innocence?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
LamontStormstar
How sick are wikipedia admins that they punish people just for protesting their innocence?

When they block someone unfairly, the normal reaction of an innocent person is to protest their innocence and explain how the block was unfair. Well this upsets the wikipedia admins for unknown reasons and they will extend the block and even make sure the block is never lifted just because a person protests their innocence. I'm not talking about uncivil protests of innocence, but a normal human reaction.

On the other hand if someone apologizes for a crime which they did not commit on wikipedia, they are often unblocked.

This correlation is basically what I see in movies and TV shows about some corrupt nation. Although, I hear it's like that in Japan, too, when arresting Americans. They throw you in the police station where the cops presume you guilty and then try to force you to confess by bombarding you with secondhand smoke (in the Sin City comments they would beat you up and if that didn't work threaten to kill your family) and if you sign a confession, they let you go. But if you refuse to confess they give you maximum jail time.

GoodFaith
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 31st July 2007, 3:28pm) *

How sick are wikipedia admins that they punish people just for protesting their innocence?

When they block someone unfairly, the normal reaction of an innocent person is to protest their innocence and explain how the block was unfair. Well this upsets the wikipedia admins for unknown reasons and they will extend the block and even make sure the block is never lifted just because a person protests their innocence. I'm not talking about uncivil protests of innocence, but a normal human reaction.

Admins don't necessarily block for "policy" reasons. They block because they don't like somebody. If you try to get unblocked, that proves you want to crash their party. If all else fails they will call you a troll.

An apology reinforces the admin's power. It shows that you know how to grovel before your 17-year-old masters. You will be wikistalked and eventually blocked again anyway.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 31st July 2007, 6:28pm) *

This correlation is basically what I see in movies and TV shows about some corrupt nation. Although, I hear it's like that in Japan, too, when arresting Americans. They throw you in the police station where the cops presume you guilty and then try to force you to confess by bombarding you with secondhand smoke (in the Sin City comments they would beat you up and if that didn't work threaten to kill your family) and if you sign a confession, they let you go. But if you refuse to confess they give you maximum jail time.

This is standard practice in Japan with everyone - people who plead guilty receive much more leinent sentences than those who don't. And everywhere else - guilty people who show remorse get treated more gently. Guy Paul Morin sat in jail for fuckin' ever because he was innocent and thus seemed unremorseful for killing that little girl.
Skyrocket
It's just high school kids and undergraduates acting as such people tend to do.
blissyu2
Wow, seriously? Malber is banned for 2 months? Oh joy! Are Wikipedians finally coming around to what a jerk he is? What's next? Antaeus Feldspar banned?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...age=User:Malber
No one of consequence
I tend to think that blocked users who go on talk page rants should be given some extra slack, as blocking is very upsetting (either because it was unfair or because you were caught doing something you thought you could get away with, whichever).

Some extra slack, but that does not mean carte blanche to throw shit everywhere you can think of hoping it will stick.

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 31st July 2007, 10:28pm) *

So are you thinking of a specific case here?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.