Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: While we're on the topic of cover ups
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
blissyu2
They've wiped them off the face of the front page with gibberish. Luckily you can still see them by clicking on View Chronologically or View Approved.

Is this the biggest cover up in Wikipedia's history?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 31st July 2007, 11:03pm) *

They've wiped them off the face of the front page with gibberish. Luckily you can still see them by clicking on View Chronologically or View Approved.

It takes but a click on the title to get the article.

Jonny cool.gif
blissyu2
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 1st August 2007, 1:42pm) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 31st July 2007, 11:03pm) *

It takes but a click on the title to get the article.

Jonny B)

That's not what my point is. They are trying to cover up the user comments, not the article itself!
blissyu2
There is an amusing thread on Wikipedia trying to discuss whether or not they should have suppressed comments that talked about things being suppressed which were talking about things being suppressed which were talking about how everything that SlimVirgin does has been suppressed, and how baseless that accusation is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...nsorship_is_bad

Also note that this has led to SlimVirgin again being able to play the victim, and she now all of a sudden has tons of support:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sli...Don.27t_give_up

Of course, anyone who disagrees with her gets their post wiped, and they get banned or threatened, so they don't have much choice than to tell her how sorry they feel for her.
Somey
I hate to (once again) be the one to dispel a cool-sounding (conspiracy?) theory, but that's just ordinary Chinese link-spam that someone hasn't gotten around to deleting yet. There was a major attack of it the other day - we got six "comments" from the same source thanking us for our own blog, which is only two weeks old, and listing pretty much the same Chinese websites. They probably found us because we were linked directly from that article.

So, I suspect that the fact that the OhMyNews is based in South Korea may have something to do with it... This particular spammer may be targeting people who speak both English and Chinese/Korean.
blissyu2
Okay fair enough it probably wasn't Wikipedians. Not that they'd be upset with it happening though.

I noticed that when they deleted the spam, they also deleted my comments.
Nathan
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 1st August 2007, 1:08pm) *

I hate to (once again) be the one to dispel a cool-sounding (conspiracy?) theory, but that's just ordinary Chinese link-spam that someone hasn't gotten around to deleting yet. There was a major attack of it the other day - we got six "comments" from the same source thanking us for our own blog, which is only two weeks old, and listing pretty much the same Chinese websites. They probably found us because we were linked directly from that article.

So, I suspect that the fact that the OhMyNews is based in South Korea may have something to do with it... This particular spammer may be targeting people who speak both English and Chinese/Korean.

Does the blog have the Akismet plugin installed? That should catch a lot of the crap.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 1st August 2007, 9:25am) *

Also note that this has led to SlimVirgin again being able to play the victim, and she now all of a sudden has tons of support:

CharlotteWebb's comment looks delightfully ironic.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 1st August 2007, 9:22pm) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 1st August 2007, 9:25am) *

CharlotteWebb's comment looks delightfully ironic.

It was intended as such, obviously. Happy to see somebody appreciated it before the entire page history was deleted.
—C.W.
Derktar
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 5th October 2007, 10:20am) *

It was intended as such, obviously. Happy to see somebody appreciated it before the entire page history was deleted.
—C.W.

Par for the course, sadly. I would've liked to have read that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.