Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bans from other websites
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Unrepentant Vandal
I think this is quite an interesting question to ask.
blissyu2
Odd options.

Why not say "None, not even Wikipedia" then "Wikipedia only", etc?

And what do you count as web sites? And what do you count as banned?

Does a web forum count as a web site? If you can still post, does it count as being banned? What about an online mud?

I think, from memory, I was disallowed from 2 forums because they didn't like my application, I got banned from Citizendium because they think that I asked for it, I got banned from LiveJournal because I got hounded by LJ Drama, but then they undid the ban, but then they redid it, and then they said it was okay but haven't unwiped my journals. I got banned from uJournal because I got banned from LiveJournal. And I deleted my own BraveJournal account but wasn't banned. And I got banned from 2 muds and 5 talkers, although none of the bans are current. This is in 14 years of internet use.
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sun 12th August 2007, 2:05pm) *

And what do you count as web sites? And what do you count as banned?

More or less at the discretion of the poll taker.
Nathan
* 2001 - Banned from LiveJournal (also because I was hounded by LJ Drama, LiveJournal.us and various trolls, apparently reacting to trolls gets you suspended) but I've been finding a way around that since 2004 (changing my username every once in a while to cover my tracks). I don't post anything there but comments and nothing that positively identifies me, which makes it difficult to track me down.
* 2002 - I was banned from another LiveJournal-type blog hosting site (ParaJournal.com, which no longer exists) because I was banned from LiveJournal (which makes no sense).
* 2003, then 2006 - Banned from yet another blog hosting site (DeadJournal.com) but at my own request. I used to work in Support there (though I knew what I was talking about more than most people there, I didn't exactly know how to talk to 'customers' very well, this is before I was diagnosed with anything) and other Support people were holding grudges against me for that so I didn't like the environment. Years later, I asked for an unbanning and tried to work with the owner, he still held a grudge against me for years (and I still didn't want to be in an environment where people hated me), so I asked for a re-banning.
* Probably 2003-4 - Banned from a mud ages ago, but I found a way around it several times (I'm not important enough for them to remember & I don't bother anymore, mudding has lost its appeal for me).
* 2006 - ED, of course. Apparently, defending myself is a blockable offense. All record of the block (and the user creation) seems to have mysteriously disappeared (so why haven't they removed User:Nathanr ?)
* 2007 - Banned from Blogshares.com because I tried to expose some admin abuse.

...all within the last 7 years of Internet use.

My vote is inaccurate but I can't change it, I don't think.
JohnA
I was once banned from a blog called Quark Soup, which made little difference except to make the blog owner look like a dick.

He suddenly deleted the blog a few months later (because he wasn't getting the attention he craved).

He has since restarted Quark Soup but now nobody cares.
GlassBeadGame
I put "Never banned, including Wikipedia." This is subject to the following caveat: I was indef blocked as User:GlassBeadGame, a SPA I created to protect my "real" WP account. This block was for criticizing SlimVirgin for making a clear legal threat against Daniel Brandt. The block made by Ryulong was in clear violation of WP policy. The statement criticizing SV was polite, non-disruptive and factual. The use of the SPA was permitted by WP policy. I will not lower myself to ask any admin to correct this minor injustice, although if any saw fit to unblock I would use the account to make non-disruptive criticisms of WP. The use of this SPA was successful in keeping my principal WP account free of controversy.

My principal account of approx. 2 years duration has never received as much a block and remains free of controversy. I have never been banned from any other site.
dtobias
I post openly under my real name, both here and on Wikipedia, and have never received even a temporary block on Wikipedia. Over here, I was temporarily banned at one point, but am not currently under any sanction.
Jonny Cache
Wikipedia ???

I do declare,
there were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there.
Lie lie lie lie lie lie lie

I do confess, while I'm in the box,
that I was trying for a while to get banned
from The Wikipedia Review,
but then I realized —

I need the eggs !!!

Jonny cool.gif
BobbyBombastic
I've been banned from tons of places, but mostly I was just having a good time, screwing around. I've never been banned from WP.
D.A.F.
I have been banned several times, but mostly because of my position opposing forum lines. For exemple, few years ago, been banned from an insignificant Holocaust revisionist forum because I criticised a mod who deleted my posts exposing Rudolf uses of multiple identities to support his report, been banned from a fanatic white supremacist site because I criticised Rushton theories on r/K strategy applied to human. Been banned from 2 Turkish forums because I was speaking about the Armenian genocide. Been banned from 2 Azerbaijani forum because I admitted being Armenian(those bans were the most ridiculous). smile.gif None of my bans were really related to personal attacks or the reasons given on Wikipedia, while it's true that I may be hot blooded a little bit, this was never the reason since I had to deal often with psycho's who were much more harsher than I and were made mods.
Viridae
I answered none, but I realised I did actually get banned from a furry site that was featured on SA.coms awful site of the day. Went in there and abused them because I was bored.
LamontStormstar
Hasn't anyone who claims never to have been banned ever been on IRC? In some chat rooms, they ban people purely for entertainment regardless of whether you do anything wrong.

(unrelated below)

User:24.5.41.240 hadn't vandalized (or edited) for 34 days

User:24.5.41.240 makes one vandalistic edit and its block summary falsely claims "repeated vandalism for several days"

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 12th August 2007, 10:48pm) *

I answered none, but I realised I did actually get banned from a furry site that was featured on SA.coms awful site of the day. Went in there and abused them because I was bored.

FURSECUTION!

You should put that story on your wikipedia userpage.
Cobalt
website no, but countless servers on a game i play. Mostly for breaking the "don't kill people when they don't want to die" rules. Or being too good. Its happened, even though i'm horribly average at the game
Nathan
Lamont: If you want to count IRC, I know it's been once or twice (damned if I can remember, it's not recent - I rarely venture into other channels other than my own - and when I do, I'm usually pretty low-profile).

Useless fact: I've never been to #wikipedia, even when I was a user. It didn't interest me. I would rather talk to my own circle of friends on my own channel, and still do.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Cobalt @ Sun 12th August 2007, 11:31pm) *

Or being too good. Its happened, even though i'm horribly average at the game

Too good?

Cobalt
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 13th August 2007, 3:10am) *

QUOTE(Cobalt @ Sun 12th August 2007, 11:31pm) *

Or being too good. Its happened, even though i'm horribly average at the game

Too good?

Yeah, once, I beat this guy fairly on his server, repeatedly, so, he banned me.
blissyu2
That sounds like what the people banned from Metal Knights say. Although everyone else thinks that they were cheaters.
Viridae
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 13th August 2007, 4:15pm) *

Hasn't anyone who claims never to have been banned ever been on IRC? In some chat rooms, they ban people purely for entertainment regardless of whether you do anything wrong.

(unrelated below)

User:24.5.41.240 hadn't vandalized (or edited) for 34 days

User:24.5.41.240 makes one vandalistic edit and its block summary falsely claims "repeated vandalism for several days"

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 12th August 2007, 10:48pm) *

FURSECUTION!

You should put that story on your wikipedia userpage.

Well if you count IRC then yes, that too. Mainly for arguing with the christians in #christian-debate (i think). They didnt like the logical arguments I put forward.
GlassBeadGame
Oh wait I almost forgot something. I was banned from ED. My offense was writing parody. This was a highly ritualized process that involved much imagery of people who I did not know having annal sex. I said, "ok I think I will move on now." But I was banned. So I need to change my vote to reflect this.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 13th August 2007, 10:56am) *

Oh wait I almost forgot something. I was banned from ED. My offense was writing parody. This was a highly ritualized process that involved much imagery of people who I did not know having annal sex. I said, "ok I think I will move on now". But I was banned. So I need to change my vote to reflect this.

Annal Sex !?

Is this what the New Scholarship has come to ???

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 13th August 2007, 9:05am) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 13th August 2007, 10:56am) *

Oh wait I almost forgot something. I was banned from ED. My offense was writing parody. This was a highly ritualized process that involved much imagery of people who I did not know having annal sex. I said, "ok I think I will move on now". But I was banned. So I need to change my vote to reflect this.

Annal Sex !?

Is this what the New Scholarship has come to ???

Jonny cool.gif

Anal.
Alison
I got banned, along with Krimpet, from Conservapedia for saying "lulz" smile.gif Oops ... tongue.gif

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.php?tit...age=User:Alison

They unbanned me after & my account is still open.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Alison @ Mon 13th August 2007, 3:42pm) *

I got banned, along with Krimpet, from Conservapedia for saying "lulz" smile.gif Oops ... tongue.gif

Why did they ban people for that?

Is it because of this fox news report that says "lulz is a corruption of LOL"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWgRY1I_SI
Alison
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 13th August 2007, 4:33pm) *

Is it because of this fox news report that says "lulz is a corruption of LOL"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWgRY1I_SI

HACKERS ON STEROIDS!!! BEWARE!!
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(Alison @ Tue 14th August 2007, 12:55am) *

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 13th August 2007, 4:33pm) *

HACKERS ON STEROIDS!!! BEWARE!!

ROFL!!!!!
LamontStormstar
Why did they ban people for saying, lulz, though? Considering that it is Conservapedia, it probably is the Fox News report.
Alison
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 13th August 2007, 5:17pm) *

Why did they ban people for saying, lulz, though? Considering that it is Conservapedia, it probably is the Fox News report.

I've no idea. Myself and K. joined up on the same day there was a massive influx from ED & we may have been collateral damage, I dunno. I got unblocked later but K. got banned again for uploading a conservape-tan pic and suggesting it as the new mascot. Oops! wacko.gif

I guess for those in the know, lulz has certain ... 'connotations'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.