Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikicisms
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
WordBomb
Few things bother me more than the many needless and unintuitive contractions invented to describe concepts related to editing Wikipedia.

But recognizing they'll never go away, I thought it might be worth getting out in front of things and inventing wikontractions that describe some of the concepts more likely to be examined here than on Wikipedia itself.

For example...

Wiksistentialism: a pessimistic philosophical movement arguing that one's existence as an editor of Wikipedia is determined by a transcendent source, usually in the form of a fickle Clique member. Wiksistentialism also holds that there are no coincidences, only what SlimVirgin often call(ed) "synchronicity."

Wikimortis: That period between a Wikipedia article being incorrectly edited to reflect one's death and the subsequent correction. There is a direct correlation between an entertainer's career and the degree of wikimortis he or she may suffer. Sinbad, for example, entered advanced stages of wikimortis.

Wikischroder: term used to describe an editor who shows great talent and promise from the early on, only to lose momentum, often as a result of crossing a Clique member. CLA68 is a perfect example (but like "Rick" Schroder, there clearly remains the possibility of mounting a strong comeback).

Please help me grow this list.

Nathan
I think Jonny Cache invents a lot of words with "Wiki-" at the beginning but I forget what they all are.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sun 12th August 2007, 10:04pm) *

Few things bother me more than the many needless and unintuitive contractions invented to describe concepts related to editing Wikipedia.

But recognizing they'll never go away, I thought it might be worth getting out in front of things and inventing wikontractions that describe some of the concepts more likely to be examined here than on Wikipedia itself.

For example...

Wiksistentialism: a pessimistic philosophical movement arguing that one's existence as an editor of Wikipedia is determined by a transcendent source, usually in the form of a fickle Clique member. Wiksistentialism also holds that there are no coincidences, only what SlimVirgin often call(ed) "synchronicity."

Wikimortis: That period between a Wikipedia article being incorrectly edited to reflect one's death and the subsequent correction. There is a direct correlation between an entertainer's career and the degree of wikimortis he or she may suffer. Sinbad, for example, entered advanced stages of wikimortis.

Wikischroder: term used to describe an editor who shows great talent and promise from the early on, only to lose momentum, often as a result of crossing a Clique member. CLA68 is a perfect example (but like "Rick" Schroder, there clearly remains the possibility of mounting a strong comeback).

Please help me grow this list.

You've fallen into the wikipernicious error here of attributing to all wikis what is actually but wikipeculiar to Wikipedia, and in the wikipreponderance of cases, really just the wikiperversions of the English Wikipedia.

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.