Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top ten Johnnys
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Unrepentant Vandal
I'm not afraid to say that I find Mr. Cache rather irritating to read a lot (if not most!) of the time. I read and type plain English at high speed, which allows me to use WR at the same time as work, something which isn't possible with Mr. Cache a lot of the time.

But when he gets it right - I don't think any other poster comes close. And with the top 10 (7,5,?) reasons not to invest, I think we should nominate the top 10 Cache posts on Wikipedia.

Here's one for starters:

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sun 28th January 2007, 11:32pm) *

QUOTE(Elara @ Sun 28th January 2007, 5:08pm) *

You know, if I wanted to show that Wikipedia is unreliable, I could find THOUSANDS of ways to do it besides give out an assignment to conduct ongoing vandalism to a class of students.

The reply from the NIU Ethics Officer is just a pile of shit.

Wikipedia is a Blog. The word vandalism, as used internal to this Blog, has no determinate meaning to outsiders. As far as external observers can tell, Wikipedia users are constantly vandalizing the subject matters to which many of them have dedicated their lives and sacred honors. By and large, Wikipedia website "administrators" are engaged in a form of anti-education that is warping the minds of naive people about the very nature of knowledge, and there is no reason that real educators should have to respect what goes on there.

The word encyclopedia, as used internal to the Wikipedia Blog, vandalizes the very meaning of the word. Wikipedia has not earned the right to appropriate this word because Wikipedia adamantly refuses to do the things that it would take to earn anybody else's respect.

People of good will and intelligence granted the Wikipedia experiment the initial benefit of the doubt. In time they began to warn the Wikipedia populace about the collapse of credibility that it was headed for. But all that people of good will and intelligence got for their troubles was a constant stream of spit in their faces.

Jonny cool.gif

LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Mon 13th August 2007, 4:49pm) *

I'm not afraid to say that I find Mr. Cache rather irritating to read a lot (if not most!) of the time.

Maybe English is not his first language.
Jonny Cache
Me 'n' Huck Phinn — agin? — wudn't interrupt our Phunereal Eulogies for NE thang, but I wud like to point out — it's my favorite d'erection to point — that it's the job of a righteouss Ωdphly to goad ye Platonic Spelunkers, wilye Øye, toward the light.

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Mon 13th August 2007, 5:49pm) *

I'm not afraid to say that I find Mr. Cache rather irritating to read a lot (if not most!) of the time. I read and type plain English at high speed, which allows me to use WR at the same time as work, something which isn't possible with Mr. Cache a lot of the time.

But when he gets it right - I don't think any other poster comes close. And with the top 10 (7,5,?) reasons not to invest, I think we should nominate the top 10 Cache posts on Wikipedia.

Here's one for starters:

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sun 28th January 2007, 11:32pm) *

QUOTE(Elara @ Sun 28th January 2007, 5:08pm) *

You know, if I wanted to show that Wikipedia is unreliable, I could find THOUSANDS of ways to do it besides give out an assignment to conduct ongoing vandalism to a class of students.

The reply from the NIU Ethics Officer is just a pile of shit.

Wikipedia is a Blog. The word vandalism, as used internal to this Blog, has no determinate meaning to outsiders. As far as external observers can tell, Wikipedia users are constantly vandalizing the subject matters to which many of them have dedicated their lives and sacred honors. By and large, Wikipedia website "administrators" are engaged in a form of anti-education that is warping the minds of naive people about the very nature of knowledge, and there is no reason that real educators should have to respect what goes on there.

The word encyclopedia, as used internal to the Wikipedia Blog, vandalizes the very meaning of the word. Wikipedia has not earned the right to appropriate this word because Wikipedia adamantly refuses to do the things that it would take to earn anybody else's respect.

People of good will and intelligence granted the Wikipedia experiment the initial benefit of the doubt. In time they began to warn the Wikipedia populace about the collapse of credibility that it was headed for. But all that people of good will and intelligence got for their troubles was a constant stream of spit in their faces.

Jonny cool.gif

A very good one.
Unrepentant Vandal
And a more recent one...

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 14th August 2007, 12:05am) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Mon 13th August 2007, 6:59pm) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sun 12th August 2007, 8:59am) *

Citizendium as we have discovered has the problem of encouraging real life harassment by using real life names, and still has many of the fundamental problems that Wikipedia has.

I dunno — as a current Wikipedian, I would like to see *everyone* disclose their real identities, have far less tolerance of bullshit and have the website display only "somehow approved" versions of articles. I think these would fix most of what's wrong with Wikipedia right now.

Don't tell us — tell them —

Speakin' o' wikipissin' into the wind ...

Jonny cool.gif

The Joy
No offense to anyone, but I found Nobs to be the least understandable person here. I pretty much understand Jonny Cache now and he does stay on the subject.
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 14th August 2007, 3:09am) *

No offense to anyone, but I found Nobs to be the least understandable person here. I pretty much understand Jonny Cache now and he does stay on the subject.

Nobs, and a couple of others like him... they were special cases wink.gif
BobbyBombastic
Do we call these Cache-isms? Cacheisms?
Derktar
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Mon 13th August 2007, 8:59pm) *

I don't know but they certainly are cache-y (Damn I'm going to be kicking myself for that one tommorow).

Perhaps cache-phrases?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Derktar @ Tue 14th August 2007, 12:01am) *

QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Mon 13th August 2007, 8:59pm) *

I don't know but they certainly are cache-y (Damn I'm going to be kicking myself for that one tommorow).

Cachechisms —

Jonny cool.gif
jdrand
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 15th August 2007, 4:32am) *

Durova is what you might call — he bites his tongue, grits his teeth, and strains his brain in search of a polite e-uphemism, ah, there it is — an e-thusiast. Less politely if more straightfwdly said, she's every bit as wacked out as a kid on crack.

There oughta be a public service ad campain for that —

Cue da hip-rap-woteva-sorta-noys-da-puncs-2day-like music …

This is your brain on Durova …

Jonny cool.gif

That was a good one, Jonny. smile.gif
BobbyBombastic
Inspired by this, I decided to gather excerpts of Fred Bauder mailing list posts and assemble them into some type of poem or song. A preview of greater works to come:

Why should [w]e deny users the right to add what they know?[1]
He resigned, a couple of days ago [2]
I guess the distinction is that they don't openly advocate publication of false information. [3]
"Original research! Need citation!"[4]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.