Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michigan State Masters Thesis about Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Skyrocket
A few months back, a Michigan State grad student was soliciting participants for interviews to be used for his Masters thesis. He found some, and the thesis is out now.

It is thesis-ly entitled

WIKIPEDIA AS COLLECTIVE ACTION: PERSONAL INCENTIVES AND ENABLING STRUCTURES

You can see it at http://www.msu.edu/~john2429/Wikipedia%20a...ve%20Action.pdf
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Skyrocket @ Fri 17th August 2007, 5:32pm) *

A few months back, a Michigan State grad student was soliciting participants for interviews to be used for his Masters thesis. He found some, and the thesis is out now.

It is thesis-ly entitled

WIKIPEDIA AS COLLECTIVE ACTION: PERSONAL INCENTIVES AND ENABLING STRUCTURES

You can see it at http://www.msu.edu/~john2429/Wikipedia%20a...ve%20Action.pdf

I was one of the subjects Ben interviewed. It was about the time, maybe a couple of weeks before, I started to contribute to WR. I can't say I see anything of myself in the thesis, even keeping in mind that I had yet to develop and sharpen my critique of WP through participation and interaction on WR. I was not one of the two banned users he interviewed. I wonder who they were?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Skyrocket @ Fri 17th August 2007, 7:32pm) *

It is thesis-ly entitled

WIKIPEDIA AS COLLECTIVE ACTION : PERSONAL INCENTIVES AND ENABLING STRUCTURES

You can see it at Wikipedia as Collective Action.pdf

Everybody Writes, Nobody Reads

Jonny cool.gif
D.A.F.
WOW!!! GREAT READ!!! Guys you should definitly read this. While it is unjustfully pro-Wikipedian (I doubt he participared in controversial articles the way I did), it is a good material to understand the phenomenon.

I like this quote he provides:

Each man is locked into a system that compels him to increase his herd without limit - in a world that is limited. Ruin is te destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in a commons brings ruin to all. (p. 19 of his thesis)

I really think that reading such materials and our more critical vision of Wikipedia could really help us build a better project, the true stuff for which Wikipedia existed for before the entire system corrupted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.