Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Commons?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Infoboy
Thoughts on Commons?

http://commons.wikimedia.org

It seems (in general from observation) to be free of the bullshit that has eaten English Wikipedia. In fact, I see quite a few "banned" editors there contributing merrily away, uploading and maintaining a rather nice free repository of images that can be used anywhere. There are even a few sysops there that would NEVER pass RFA on English.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?t...500&group=sysop

Views on commons and it's role, community, and in general?
Rochelle
QUOTE(Infoboy @ Tue 21st August 2007, 11:57am) *

It seems (in general from observation) to be free of the bullshit that has eaten English Wikipedia. In fact, I see quite a few "banned" editors there contributing merrily away, uploading and maintaining a rather nice free repository of images that can be used anywhere. There are even a few sysops there that would NEVER pass RFA on English.

It isn't as big as English Wikipedia. Less size = less trouble. Usually, that is.
guy
Kelly Martin is still an admin there.
LamontStormstar
Tor and proxies aren't banned there!
The Joy
The only major drama I've seen there was about a year ago when Kelly Martin called Cool Cat/White Cat a drama queen, resulting in Eloquence (Erik Moeller) threatening to ban Kelly and GMaxwell from Commons which he didn't but it was interesting reading (just read Kelly's Commons account's archives).

Otherwise, it seems like a good community to me.
Cedric
I still have an account there. I had forgotten all about it.
D.A.F.
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 21st August 2007, 11:37pm) *

The only major drama I've seen there was about a year ago when Kelly Martin called Cool Cat/White Cat a drama queen, resulting in Eloquence (Erik Moeller) threatening to ban Kelly and GMaxwell from Commons which he didn't but it was interesting reading (just read Kelly's Commons account's archives).

Otherwise, it seems like a good community to me.

Damn, I've lost something, do you have a link? Lets say I agree with Kelly, having bad experiences with CoolCat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.