Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SlimVirgin's Sock #1: Sweet Blue Water
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
WordBomb
Like an avant-garde hipster indie film director, I'm starting at the conclusion and making you work backwards.

It's not that I'm trying to be dramatic...it's just that it seems unlikely that the entire piece detailing the chain of evidence (comprised of information you cannot see because it's been oversighted away) will be done by the end of the day, as promised.

So...we begin at the end.

I can unquestionably confirm that one of SlimVirgin's sockpuppets is User:Sweet Blue Water.

Here are two clues to consider until all the proof is up on AntiSocialMedia.

1: This recreated diff, which was previously oversighted away.
2: Sweet Blue Water's talk page history.

As to the question of Sweet Blue Water being an abusive sockpuppet, you might start by reviewing the comments made here.
jdrand
Pretty damning. But, if we were to give her the benefit of the doubt, 1, why does she know so much about Salinger, and 2, why did she blank her user and talk pages? How come it's allowed with some, and not with others?
alienus
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Tue 21st August 2007, 10:52pm) *

I can unquestionably confirm that one of SlimVirgin's sockpuppets is User:Sweet Blue Water.

To tell you the truth, I don't really care whether this is SV. I do care that this editor deletes comments on their talk page, reverts a lot, and generally sucks. The problem with Wikipedia isn't that admins and pariahs alike create socks, it's that the socks stink.

Al
jorge
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 3:52am) *

Here are two clues to consider until all the proof is up on AntiSocialMedia.

1: This recreated diff, which was previously oversighted away.
2: Sweet Blue Water's talk page history.

As to the question of Sweet Blue Water being an abusive sockpuppet, you might start by reviewing the comments made here.

Well found. It looks like she created the sock specifically to support herself in the September 11 article. I don't know whether you noticed but the ip that left the message on SBW's page is actually Grace Note aka Dr Zen who took part in the FAC for the September 11 article perhaps indicating that GraceNote is closer to SV than we all knew.
LamontStormstar
[quote name='jorge' date='Tue 21st August 2007, 8:47pm' post='44588']
[quote name='WordBomb' post='44564' date='Wed 22nd August 2007, 3:52am']

Well found. It looks like she created the sock specifically to support herself in the September 11 article. I don't know whether you noticed but the ip that left the message on SBW's page is actually Grace Note aka Dr Zen who took part in the FAC for the September 11 article perhaps indicating that GraceNote is closer to SV than we all knew.
[/quote]

Did she use the sock with SlimVirgin to break 3RR or something else we can get her busted for?

Also, hurry before Jayjg comes back and oversights every one of that sock's edits.
blissyu2
This diff spells it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...t&oldid=9072303

I'm a writer/researcher, hoping to make a positive contribution to Wikipedia. My main interest lies in current affairs, and most of my contributions are likely to consist of copy editing until I find my feet. I've lived and worked all over the world, including the U.S., Canada, the UK, Europe and the Middle East, and so I hope I've lost any nationalist, provincial perspectives I had, and that I can usefully contribute to Wikipedia's multi-national culture.

In between ideas of rightness and wrongness, there's a field. I'll meet you there — Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi (1207-1273).

Have we seen these quotes before? Yep.

The issue is that this sock puppet account hasn't been used in, well, ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr...weet_Blue_Water

29 December 2004 - 2 September 2005

27 edits total

4 of the edits were to her user page
4 of the edits were to her talk page
(both now blanked is a big hint)

Now okay so Jayjg might have oversighted away a bunch of the contributions, but thats still pretty clear that she's not currently using it. Perhaps she will in the future, but my bet is that after this she certainly won't.
LamontStormstar
We could still put a page of evidence on the userpage and put a sock template. Maybe get someone to ban it as a "preventative measure in case she wants to use it again"?

Then stick the sockpuppeteer template on SlimVirgin's page that she HAS to leave up like they did to Malber back when Malber was only blocked for a month or two where he had to leave it up.
jorge
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 4:56am) *

Did she use the sock with SlimVirgin to break 3RR or something else we can get her busted for?

Also, hurry before Jayjg comes back and oversights every one of that sock's edits.

I think she created it to support the September 11 featured article nom which was made by dmcdevit four days after SV started the SBW sock. Interestingly SV first described herself as a journalist but later changed that to "writer/researcher". I see that Katefan0 seems to have been a friend of dmc.
Derktar

I'm a journalist, hoping to make a useful contribution to Wikipedia, which is a unique and inspiring project. My main interest lies in current affairs, and most of my contributions are likely to consist of copy editing until I find my feet. I've lived and worked all over the world, including the U.S., Canada, the UK, Europe and the Middle East. I hope I've lost any nationalist, provincial perspectives I had and that I can usefully contribute to Wikipedia's multi-national culture.

In between ideas of rightness and wrongness, there is a field. I'll meet you there — Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi (1207-1273).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...v&oldid=8917426

Intriguing stuff.
jorge
QUOTE(Derktar @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 5:33am) *

Intriguing stuff.

Indeed. I've just realised that it was likely Salinger's death on October 16, 2004 that made her notice Wikipedia probably after googling Salinger's name after his death and finding his wiki article which she then had a desire to "correct". Salinger was apparently so strongly anti-Bush that he left the country after he was elected. He also left after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in 1968.
jdrand
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 21st August 2007, 9:01pm) *

We could still put a page of evidence on the userpage and put a sock template. Maybe get someone to ban it as a "preventative measure in case she wants to use it again"?

Then stick the sockpuppeteer template on SlimVirgin's page that she HAS to leave up like they did to Malber back when Malber was only blocked for a month or two where he had to leave it up.

There is a sockpuppeteer template up there, posted by an anonymous IP address.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Tue 21st August 2007, 8:52pm) *

Wow, even her poodle must have puked after that edit. Wikipedia finally has a weak BLP after a long struggle, but now it looks like it also needs a BDP (Biographies of Dead People). It must be fun for Slim to kick Salinger in the teeth when he's 1) in his grave and can't kick back, and 2) you think you're anonymous so that even his supporters don't know what's happening. This edit is clearly Ms. Mack's revenge for getting locked out of her office by Salinger (which was based on Salinger's belief that she had been working for MI5 all along). I suspect that her hopes of becoming a professional journalist were considerably dimmed once that happened, which might explain her self-exile from London back to Canada.

This is worse than vandalism. It's more like covert action. We now know that she joined Wikipedia with an agenda. She got better at hiding her agenda over time, but that merely made her more of a threat to the entire project — particularly as Jimbo constantly defended her as one of Wikipedia's best editors.
GlassBeadGame
(Salinger worked on PA 103. Passed ABC News information to the CIA. May have passed the same information to Colonel Gadaffi of LIbya. Died after a decade suffering from dementia.)

That is pretty vindictive. Who uses edit summaries their first time out? That might suggest she had already been around at least a little.
blissyu2
This is interesting. She makes mention of "Pierre Salinger syndrome", something that was also mentioned by David Gerard in protecting SlimVirgin during the SlimVirgin scandal.

It actually does show up in a Google search though:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=%2...le+Search&meta=

I wonder if perhaps SlimVirgin is the cause of this phrase being in the internet?

Actually, another aspect that I missed (still from that one diff!) is that it claims that it was Salinger who passed confidential information on to CIA.

Yet Salinger claimed it was SlimVirgin!

Okay, show of hands. Who believes Salinger, and who believes SlimVirgin?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 11:48am) *

(Salinger worked on PA 103. Passed ABC News information to the CIA. May have passed the same information to Colonel Gadaffi of LIbya. Died after a decade suffering from dementia.)

That is pretty vindictive. Who uses edit summaries their first time out? That might suggest she had already been around at least a little.

Not that I was paying all that much attention at the time, but was that Pierre Salinger Syndrome mal mot really in the culture beforehand, or purely due to Our Unholy Unmother Of Invention?

Jonny cool.gif

FYI. Guess Who ???

AFD. Pure Slander Slimdrone.

Pø!!. Show Of Hand.
jorge
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 5:20pm) *

Not that I was paying all that much attention at the time, but was that Pierre Salinger Syndrome mal mot really in the culture beforehand, or purely due to Our Unholy Unmother Of Invention?

Jonny cool.gif

FYI. Guess Who ???

Pø!!. Show Of Hand.

Amazing! It seems to be entirely the creation of SV and to have originated with her edits to WP just after his death! So she certainly was trying to slander Salinger in order to discredit him as a demented "conspiracy theorist". Of course we now know that Salinger may well have been right about the Libyans not being guilty so were SV's edits made out of her own desire for revenge or part of an organized plan coordinated by intelligence agencies to "shape" knowledge?

One thing that I hadn't known before is that SV claimed to have worked in the Middle East- where in the Middle East? Israel?

"I've lived and worked all over the world, including the U.S., Canada, the UK, Europe and the Middle East."

Now we can see why they were so desperate to oversight Linda Mack's edits .. her very first use of Wikipedia was to attack a former employer with lies.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(jorge @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 1:56pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 5:20pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

FYI. Guess Who ???

Pø!!. Show Of Hand.

Amazing! It seems to be entirely the creation of SV and to have originated with her edits to WP just after his death! So she certainly was trying to slander Salinger in order to discredit him as a demented "conspiracy theorist". Of course we now know that Salinger may well have been right about the Libyans not being guilty so were SV's edits made out of her own desire for revenge or part of an organized plan coordinated by intelligence agencies to "shape" knowledge?

One thing that I hadn't known before is that SV claimed to have worked in the Middle East- where in the Middle East? Israel?

"I've lived and worked all over the world, including the U.S., Canada, the UK, Europe and the Middle East."

Now we can see why they were so desperate to oversight Linda Mack's edits … her very first use of Wikipedia was to attack a former employer with lies.

Once a Vandal in NORnia,
Always a Vandal in NORnia.

Jonny cool.gif
blissyu2
One worrying element for me is that David Gerard was able to immediately come up with "Pierre Salinger syndrome" in defence of SlimVirgin during the scandal.

Why did he even know about it?
jorge
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 7:07pm) *

One worrying element for me is that David Gerard was able to immediately come up with "Pierre Salinger syndrome" in defence of SlimVirgin during the scandal.

Why did he even know about it?

I think this is the scandal. This is what they have been trying to cover up- that Linda Mack deliberately posted attacks on Pierre Salinger's Wikipedia entry, knowing that she couldn't be sued for libel because Salinger had passed away.

EDIT: regarding David Gerard he may have known about this innocently, or else he knew all about the fact that SV/LM had invented the syndrome as an attack- and he knew that these edits had been oversighted to cover this up.
blissyu2
I'm not convinced that this is the entire scandal. I think that what we had uncovered before was the main part of the scandal. However, this adds to it in a major way.

SlimVirgin created the Pierre Salinger syndrome idea.

Of course, we do need harder proof than that.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(jorge @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 11:56am) *

John Cooley said:
Notable was a trip she made to Damascus (where Salinger and I both touched down, among many other places during our year's investigation), where she wanted to interview Ahmed Jibril of the PFLP-GC, then a prime suspect. He wouldn't talk to her. Later, after we had been working with Jordanian intelligence, she befriended one of their officers who came to London to ferret out Abu Nidal's bank accounts.

The "Pierre Salinger Syndrome" dates from 1997 or earlier. It may have been Mike Godwin who created it!
New York Times, 1997-06-28:
There is also the possibility on the Internet for what Mike Godwin, staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, calls "the Pierre Salinger syndrome" -- that is, the ability of the global network to spread utterly unfounded rumors around the globe in seconds.

blissyu2
Did Mike Godwin get it from SlimVirgin?
jorge
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 9:01pm) *

The "Pierre Salinger Syndrome" dates from 1997 or earlier. It may have been Mike Godwin who created it!
There is also the possibility on the Internet for what Mike Godwin, staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, calls "the Pierre Salinger syndrome" -- that is, the ability of the global network to spread utterly unfounded rumors around the globe in seconds.

Who are Mike Godwin and the Electronic Frontier Foundation?
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(jorge @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 11:20pm) *

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 9:01pm) *

Who are Mike Godwin and the Electronic Frontier Foundation?

EFF are a bit like the ACLU, but focussed on 'net issues. Mike Godwin is part of them, but crucially is also wikimedia foundation lawyer now...

IIRC
jorge
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 11:32pm) *

EFF are a bit like the ACLU, but focussed on 'net issues. Mike Godwin is part of them, but crucially is also wikimedia foundation lawyer now...

IIRC

bizarre
dtobias
Mike Godwin is also the one responsible for Godwin's Law (T-H-L-K-D).
Unrepentant Vandal
Further information @

http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=...27s_Lawlessness
blissyu2
So okay now we have 2 choices:

1) SlimVirgin created the idea, and Mike Godwin somehow got it from her
2) Mike Godwin created the idea independently, and SlimVirgin merely repeated it

I'm leaning towards option number 1, but we need to have some kind of evidence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.