Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stephen Colbert strikes again
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
blissyu2
Stephen Colbert, the popular comedian with his own show "The Colbert Report", which is a spinoff to "The Daily Show", and listed as one of Time's 100 Most influential people of the year, has once again decided to strike Wikipedia, encouraging others, via his show, to do the same. He has done this many times, and Wikipedia staff have labelled him as a "vandal".

This was noted by Dtobias on WikiEN-l: http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikie...ust/079424.html

Video of the incident is here:
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/in...?ml_video=91912

For reference, there is also a Jimbo Wales interview here:
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/in...?ml_video=87528

On Wikipedia, the only evidence I could find were the contributions made by an Anonymous IP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr...s/71.55.151.157

It included 2 edits only:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=152841906
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=152842801

They didn't get a ban, but did get a vandal warning:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=152843390

Their ISP wasn't listed, but it resolves to Embarq:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=...51.157&email=on

I am not sure if that is Stephen Colbert or not.

And in response, Ral315 decided to protect the article, to stop Stephen Colbert and his followers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=152842071

So what do you think of this?
Kato
Thanks Bliss. Colbert had WP critic Andrew Keen on his show recently

See here.
dtobias
What I like about last night's Colbert segment is that he basically takes the argument about the evil of "outing" and "attack sites" and gives it a "reductio ad absurdum" by applying it to corporations like ExxonMobil.
LamontStormstar
Let's get someone from Wikipedia Review on The Colbert Report.
Nathan
Excellent idea.
blissyu2
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 6:31am) *

Who? Any volunteers? Lamont? Daniel Brandt is apparently too shy. Um, anyone? Somey would be ideal of course, but I am not sure if he would either.

I suppose that Thekohser is pretty much our best bet.

Given that Stephen Colbert likes to make fun of Wikipedia, there is some chance of it. But he might take some convincing.

Any ideas of how to convince him?
LamontStormstar
Daniel Brandt would need his face and voice disguised like the woman who bought that dog to keep hackers away on fox news.

They could have Poetlister and all her friends who Wikipedia claims are one person come on. Although she's not famous, it would just be fun to freak wikipedia out and prove them wrong.

There aren't really any others who are celebrities. Somey isn't famous. Wikipedia Review I don't think is famous. Blissyu2 isn't famous. I'm not famous. Selina isn't famous.

WordBomb... hmmm I don't know.

Whoever it is, tell him you broke your wrist and come in with a cast.

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 2:10pm) *

Write a book.
Nathan
Greg (thekohser) would be our best bet for that, in my opinion. He's more of a spokesperson than anyone I can think of.
He'd have to be up to the challenge, of course.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Nathan @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 2:36pm) *

Greg (thekohser) would be our best bet for that, in my opinion. He's more of a spokesperson than anyone I can think of.
He'd have to be up to the challenge, of course.

Yes, I think Greg would be great spokesperson.
blissyu2
Anyway, we need a plan of attack really.

I'm off over in Australia, so he's unlikely to want to talk to me anyway. But we need to decide how to convince him, and then hopefully we can get someone to do it. Even if he doesn't actually interview a real person, or has a fake person being interviewed, its all fine.

I'm not sure that people need to be famous in order to go on there.
Kato
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 10:05pm) *

Anyway, we need a plan of attack really.

I'm off over in Australia, so he's unlikely to want to talk to me anyway. But we need to decide how to convince him, and then hopefully we can get someone to do it. Even if he doesn't actually interview a real person, or has a fake person being interviewed, its all fine.

I'm not sure that people need to be famous in order to go on there.

This is a joke right? unsure.gif
blissyu2
*sighs*

Kato likes to make fun of Blissyu2.

Blissyu2 is going in to 3rd person.

If we have a convincing enough argument, there is a chance that Stephen Colbert could consider it. And I don't think that he'd care who he was talking to, he'd only care about the argument.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 3:16pm) *

*sighs*

If we have a convincing enough argument, there is a chance that Stephen Colbert could consider it. And I don't think that he'd care who he was talking to, he'd only care about the argument.

Shows like The Daily Show, Colbert Report or even NPR's Fresh Air seem hardwired into a network of publishers, editors and literary agents. They provide the shows with an endless stream of reasonably intelligent guests. They provide the authors with a vehicle for promoting their books.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 2:26pm) *

Shows like The Daily Show, Colbert Report or even NPR's Fresh Air seem hardwired into a network of publishers, editors and literary agents. They provide the shows with an endless stream of reasonably intelligent guests. They provide the authors with a vehicle for promoting their books.

Then it must be Looch who goes to promote his book.
Kato
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 10:16pm) *

*sighs*

Sorry Bliss. Not intended to poke fun, I actually wasn't sure if you were joking or not. It seemed such an unlikely and bizarre scenario.
Nathan
Anything is possible after all...well almost anything.
thekohser
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 4:10pm) *

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 6:31am) *

Who? Any volunteers? Lamont? Daniel Brandt is apparently too shy. Um, anyone? Somey would be ideal of course, but I am not sure if he would either.

I suppose that Thekohser is pretty much our best bet.

Given that Stephen Colbert likes to make fun of Wikipedia, there is some chance of it. But he might take some convincing.

I've got two things going for me:

(1) My daughter at the age of two was already a big fan of The Colbert Report.

(2) I already have experience on national TV talking about Wikipedia.

If you all as a community can petition me on to a show such as The Colbert Report, I will happily serve as honorably as I am capable.

Greg
Pwok
Something else to think about: Wikia. This is a for-profit (someday) company run by Wales and backed by the typical cast of Silicon Valley VCs. Remember the New Yorker profile that had Wales working in a plebian office in Florida, claiming that he was fleeing the high cost of California? Turns out Wikia is HQd in (ta-da!) San Mateo. Ha! I bet they throw some great rooftop parties with the VC dough!

Maybe the VCs ought to start wondering whether the imminent demise of Wikipedia will have any impact on the fortunes of Wikia. Their Series A financing round was for $4 million (scratch those rooftop parties; you can barely get a bucket of shrimp for $4 million anymore). Do I hear a Series B? Maybe not. Looks like Jimmy Wales's scheme to cash in on all those dumb volunteers might come a-cropper. Not that VCs measure their loyalty with a stopwatch or anything. cool.gif

More seriously: People ought to start examining Jimmy Wales's money making strategy here. I don't think it's ever been about making money directly off of Wikipedia. It's about the corporate spinoffs. Pretty crafty of them Powerpointers -- yet oh-so-typical Silicon Valley -- at least until people start noticing what total crapola Wikipedia is. Even their software sucks; I'm convinced that one of the reasons there's so much ranting on Wikipedia is because their software is so user unfriendly that it makes people suspicious of them. Editing Wikipedia is like driving in Boston, where one-third of the drivers are lost and really pissed off about it.

By the way, everyone get a load of the press release for that Series A round. Talked about some sites hosted by Wikia, including -- get this -- "uncyclopedia, a parody of Wikipedia." Guys (and you are almost all guys, most under 25), if you want to host a parody of Wikipedia just host Wikipedia itself, would ya? biggrin.gif
blissyu2
Are we mostly under 25? I'd suggest that we are probably older than the average Wikipedia user. A few of us might be that young, but there's quite a few older people here. Perhaps we need a poll to determine everyone's ages lol. I am 32 here, and I think Nathan is too, Daniel Brandt is older than that, Selina is younger, and most of the others that I know the ages of are over 25.

Anyway I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility to do it. I have seen Stephen Colbert interview rather obscure, not at all famous people who represent a certain niche. Given that he's so critical of Wikipedia, it is plausible that he might be interested in interviewing people from the web site that is the most critical of Wikipedia. It is possible that he might not want to, but he just might want to. At a bare minimum, I could suggest that he might just look at our web site on the show and make comments (without an interview attached). Especially if he were to list it amongst a bunch of others that he mentions in passing. The thing is that we in many ways represent all of the others, as we are a forum, hence a gathering point for all of the others (this is the only forum for discussion). Wikitruth might be more well known, but this is largely due to its exposure on Wikipedia, and they certainly couldn't be interviewed as they couldn't risk revealing their true identity.

The thing is that we basically need to write the interview for him, suggest how the TV show might run, give a general idea for it, a catch.

If we can do that, then I think that there is a reasonable chance to get on the air. It might just be as a web site review, or it might even be just in passing as part of a group of web site reviews. Or it might be an interview. Whilst we'd obviously prefer an interview, the other 2 options would also be of benefit.

But we need to sell the idea to him.

Unless of course he just so happens to come by and find it for himself.
JoseClutch
You guys do realise that Colbert - uhm - likes Wikipedia, right?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:18am) *

You guys do realise that Colbert — uhm — likes Wikipedia, right?

He's a media personality — he will try to guesstimate which way the wind is blowin' tomorrow, and tacky into that …

Jonny cool.gif
blissyu2
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Fri 24th August 2007, 12:48am) *

Since when? {{fact}}

I thought he was non-stop criticising Wikipedia?
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:29am) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:18am) *

You guys do realise that Colbert — uhm — likes Wikipedia, right?

He's a media personality — he will try to guesstimate which way the wind is blowin' tomorrow, and tacky into that …

Jonny cool.gif

I would very strongly recommend that you don't get involved with Colbert unless you watch a dozen episodes of his show. Seriously, I know some of you guys are a) old, and cool.gif serious, and c) not liberal wackjobs ... but - anyone who goes on that show unprepared will end up looking like a complete asshole.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 2:18pm) *

Colbert the character, or Colbert the person behind the character? It's clear the character likes Wikipedia, his "favorite website" because the "truth" can be altered by consensus. It is not at all clear that the real Colbert likes Wikipedia any more than he likes the right-wing pundits he skewers on his show.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:35am) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Fri 24th August 2007, 12:48am) *

Since when? {{fact}}

I thought he was non-stop criticising Wikipedia?

Yes, that's true. But watch the damn show. Colbert praises things he disapproves of and damns things he approves of - the "character" he plays, the show host, is a parody. He plays a far-right wing populist, but this show comes on right after the Daily Show to capture the same audience. Watch http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-86...earch&plindex=0 this video from the 2006 annual White House Press Corps dinner to get an idea of what he's about.

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:39am) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 2:18pm) *

Colbert the character, or Colbert the person behind the character? It's clear the character likes Wikipedia, his "favorite website" because the "truth" can be altered by consensus. It is not at all clear that the real Colbert likes Wikipedia any more than he likes the right-wing pundits he skewers on his show.

The real Colbert. You have to watch a lot of his stuff to be able to decode what he's saying, and who he's making fun of sometimes, he's very good. Wales also claims he praised Wikipedia privately after the show (I'm not sure how reliable that is, though, but it makes sense)
blissyu2
Wow 19 users reading this topic! 16 guests! Maybe one of those 16 guests is Stephen Colbert! Or someone from his show!

I've seen uh let's see about 100 to 150 episodes of the show. Its only on cable TV here, and it only recently came to Australian cable TV. I don't have cable TV anymore, so can't pick it up. But yes I do know the show. I don't know about anyone else's experience.

And the thing is that even if he said something that made fun of us, such as calling us "Kook conspiracy theory nutjobs" then it would still be great for us.

Actually, I've got my first idea for how he could run it.

"Today I am going to talk about an issue that is of the utmost importance to us true, red-blooded Americans. One of the great ambassadors of our nation, the mighty Wikipedia, is being ambushed by a kook conspiracy theory web site, calling themselves the crazy Wikipedia Review. We all know what THAT means, don't we? Like those uni revues where people wear dresses and dance around screaming out insanity. We know exactly what these nutjobs are trying to do.

They have tried to bring down this mighty American institution, and many of them are not even American citizens! They stalk people, expose their real identities, trying to rationalise it just because someone lied about having a PhD, or was secretly working for congress, or was a CIA agent. I mean who hasn't ever pretended that they had credentials before? I personally claim to hold 17 PhD's, and I haven't even graduated from high school. They act like it is a "big deal" {using quotes with his fingers} but seriously, is it?

Today we have with us a person using the pseudonym of "Gregory Kohs" who "claims" {using quotes with his fingers} that he has run a business called WikiBiz. This left-wing loonie is going to talk to us about why he feels that Wikipedia has "problems"."

etc

That's basically Stephen Colbert style.

And I think that it would help us somewhat, and help to get the message out there.
blissyu2
Actually, I'll keep going with this. We can then add and change it until we get something that is workable. As with most of Stephen Colbert's interviews, whoever we sent in there would barely get to say 2 words. Hence why I don't think it really matters all that much who we send in there. The point is to set out a script of what kinds of things he could say. His writers could of course alter the script, but we need to present something to him that is workable, because as it stands right now we aren't famous enough in our own right to be able to get him to want to create a script purely for us.

Anyway keeping on.

"So Gregory, can you tell me why your kook web site, which I hear is really a nazi front, is interested in jumping on to the coat tails of our mighty American institution of Wikipedia?"

"Well Stephen, we want the world to know that Wikipedia is a fraud. It is secretly taking money from others, it is lying about who it is, it is defaming others, and it is changing history"

"So you think that Wikipedia is not Wikipedia?"

"No, Wikipedia is Wikipedia. But its not really a charity, because it is secretly earning money"

"But Wikipedia is Wikipedia, right?"

"Well yes, but that's not the point"

"So how is it a fraud then, if it is really Wikipedia?"

"Well, because they are lying about other things"

"Are you really Gregory Kohs?"

"Yes, of course I am"

"This isn't some pseudonym that you freaky liberals use?"

"No, I am a real person"

"You are sure that you're not secretly some leftie nutjob like Bill Clinton?"

"No, this is my real name. I am really Gregory Kohs"

"But I saw that you used that name on the internet. So its a pseudonym isn't it?"

"No, its a real name. That's who I am"

"Some people think that my name, the great Stephen Colbert, is a pseudonym, but I use it valiantly to support my real red-blooded American missions. Some people call themselves Stephen Colbert sometimes, because they want to be like me. Do you want to be like me, Gregory?"

"No, of course not. And that's not what we are trying to do here"

"I think that you do want to be like me. I can sense it. You want to have a piece of the Stephen Colbert pie"

"No, we want to talk about Wikipedia"

"I edit on Wikipedia, you know. You can have some of that Stephen Colbert pie if you go to Wikipedia. Is that why you are talking about them? Because you want a bit of Stephen Colbert?"

"No, its because Wikipedia has problems"

"Problems, like not having enough of Stephen Colbert to go around? Problems like not letting people dream of Stephen Colbert, morning, noon and night? Problems like not letting you move away on a cloud of dreams?"

"Thank you Gregory for coming in with us. Everyone, thank you to Mr Kohs"

From what I've seen, Stephen Colbert *NEVER* let's anyone he interviews actually talk about their subject matter, and he *ALWAYS* diverts the entire conversation around to himself, and makes up stupid criticism of the interviewee no matter who it is, then praises himself at the end.

Hence it doesn't matter who it is or what they say. What matters is that we get a funny script and give it to him, and then we'll get press coverage, and people will start to inquire, and then there you have it.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 2:49pm) *

I've seen uh let's see about 100 to 150 episodes of the show. Its only on cable TV here,

It's only on cable TV here, too, in the U.S.: Comedy Central. Like you, Blissy, I've seen many episodes; I'm a big fan of both The Colbert Report and the Daily Show. I think it's safe to say that if Colbert the character praises something on the show (such as various GOP members involved in scandals) it's a safe bet that Colbert the real person does not.

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 2:49pm) *

And the thing is that even if he said something that made fun of us, such as calling us "Kook conspiracy theory nutjobs" then it would still be great for us.

The saying goes "Any publicity is good publicity... as long as they spell your name right." Or in this case, give the correct URL...?

blissyu2
Stephen Colbert criticises EVERYONE - so its not an insult if he criticised us. Some people would take his criticism to mean that we suck, others will take it to mean that we rock. Either way, it'd get people to check it out.

And if he said "Wikipedia Review", he doesn't need to spell out the URL. Its number 1 hit for that on Google. People would find it. And I am sure that they would remember it if he made a joke about the name.

That script I give might not be long enough for a full interview (even the short ones that he has) but its enough to give them an idea as to how to do it.

I did e-mail Virgil Griffith to get him to write here, but he hasn't replied. Perhaps he didn't read the e-mail because he was busy? I don't know. I thought it might be good if he were to write here, as it might provide good linkage.
Kato
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:14pm) *

Stephen Colbert criticises EVERYONE - so its not an insult if he criticised us.

Yeah, last year he did the speech at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in front of George W Bush. He had Richard Branson on his show last night. Surely Somey, Jonny Cache, Poetlister and co are his obvious next targets?

Sorry unsure.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 12:11pm) *

Stephen Colbert criticises EVERYONE — so its not an insult if he criticised us.

Yeah, last year he did the speech at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in front of George W Bush. He had Richard Branson on his show last night. Surely Somey, Jonny Cache, Poetlister, and co are his obvious next targets?

Sorry unsure.gif

Don't look @ me — I don't do standup comedy (that's what she said — ka-zing !) … you hafta be sitting down to produce this kind of material …

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Pwok @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:18am) *

Maybe the VCs ought to start wondering whether the imminent demise of Wikipedia will have any impact on the fortunes of Wikia. Their Series A financing round was for $4 million (scratch those rooftop parties; you can barely get a bucket of shrimp for $4 million anymore). Do I hear a Series B? Maybe not. Looks like Jimmy Wales's scheme to cash in on all those dumb volunteers might come a-cropper. Not that VCs measure their loyalty with a stopwatch or anything.

Series B was an undisclosed sum turned over by Amazon to Wikia.

Surely, you have read my blog post about this and other scandalous interactions between Wikia and Wikipedia?

Greg
Nathan
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:44am) *

Are we mostly under 25? I'd suggest that we are probably older than the average Wikipedia user. A few of us might be that young, but there's quite a few older people here. Perhaps we need a poll to determine everyone's ages lol. I am 32 here, and I think Nathan is too, Daniel Brandt is older than that, Selina is younger, and most of the others that I know the ages of are over 25.

32? How dare you! I will not tolerate such lies! wink.gif
Close enough though, I'm 31.
thekohser
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 12:11pm) *

Stephen Colbert criticises EVERYONE - so its not an insult if he criticised us.

Yeah, last year he did the speech at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in front of George W Bush. He had Richard Branson on his show last night. Surely Somey, Jonny Cache, Poetlister and co are his obvious next targets?

Sorry unsure.gif

Kato, I totally understand where you're coming from, but you're not being entirely fair. Colbert also made a running multi-episode bit with the coach of the Saginaw Spirit (a minor, regional ice hockey team), welcomed a college professor who wasn't promoting any book that I recall (Professor of Biology at Brown University, Ken Miller), and Washington Post fashion editor, Robin Givhan. These are not exactly household-name celebrities, either.

The only thing I'll add is that we'd need to contact the show's producers, not so much Colbert himself. He's not charged with the responsibility of bringing on guests (I don't imagine).

P.S. Didn't anyone think my daughter was cute?!

P.P.S. I will be turning 39 years old in October.

Greg
blissyu2
QUOTE(Nathan @ Fri 24th August 2007, 3:44am) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:44am) *

32? How dare you! I will not tolerate such lies! wink.gif
Close enough though, I'm 31.

Strangely enough, when I turned 30, I suddenly felt old. I gave up trying to pretend I was still a young fellow, decided to give in to my grey hair, my bulging belly, and recognised that I do have a generation gap with the "young people", the new adults, 18-21 or so. I try talking to them and its like they don't even understand me anymore. I've embraced my oldness. I am old. The oldest that I've ever been mistaken for is 49, and oddly enough the guy that thought that that was my age was himself 45. Few people think I look under 30, even the ones who are blatantly lying. I think that 30 is a significant birthday, because after that you stop being young. You're not properly old yet, but you're on the downhill path. 40 you officially hit middle age. 50 you're officially old. 60 you're about ready to retire. 70 you're lucky to be alive still. Anything past that and you just smile that you can still function.
Nathan
On a good day, I could be mistaken for being a bit younger so I'm glad for that. I have no grey hair yet - but I do have a receding hairline (which is why my hair is usually super-short so you can't notice).

I don't perceive the generation gap as being that large, probably because most of my friends are in their late teens to early 20's.
blissyu2
Yeah, Colbert Report is good.

And even if Stephen Colbert wanted to handle it himself, it'd have to go through all of the right red tape first. He's way too popular to want to risk doing it straight to himself. You would probably be lucky to get a receptionist assigned to the producer of the script of the show's audition. Nonetheless, if we got anyone it'd be good, as that then paves the way to a shot at it.

But before we do anything, we need a firm idea. I've put my idea up there. Does anyone have another? Or do they think it could be modified?

I think if our idea is strong enough, we have a shot.
Pwok
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:06am) *

Series B was an undisclosed sum turned over by Amazon to Wikia.

Surely, you have read my blog post about this and other scandalous interactions between Wikia and Wikipedia?

Greg

No, I hadn't read either of those things. Thanks for pointing them out. I'm still getting familiar with this site, and with the tangle of relationships. I had done a Google search for a Series B round for Wikia and didn't find anything.

You folks don't know me and I'm not going to step out and give some sort of biography, so you'll have to take this on faith (or not): I had a ringside seat at the techno-frauds of the 1990s, and my reading of Wikia and their Series B round tells me that Jimmy Wales is set for life and that, one way or the other, the whole Wiki thing's going to be around for quite a while.

It's an open question as to whether the encyclopedia will survive in the sense of having any real broad respect, but the "Wiki" phenomenon will be with us and Wikia will be generating the good life for a handful of insiders. I think the thing to do is to lay out the corporate relationships in slow, clear detail that's accessible to "newbies," so people can see what this is all about.

The idea that anyone would actually donate their money, let alone their time, to Wikipedia is just preposterous in light of this information. So, the task is to make the truth nice and clear, and broadly accessible. People shouldn't have to hunt this down as much as I've had to.

Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Pwok @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 12:30pm) *

No, I hadn't read either of those things. Thanks for pointing them out. I'm still getting familiar with this site, and with the tangle of relationships. I had done a Google search for a Series B round for Wikia and didn't find anything.

Hi Pwok,

I got about 40 hits by typing: amazon, wikia financing.

Amazon is the sole investor at about 6 mil. Here's one hit?.

You folks don't know me and I'm not going to step out and give some sort of biography, so you'll have to take this on faith (or not): I had a ringside seat at the techno-frauds of the 1990s, and my reading of Wikia and their Series B round tells me that Jimmy Wales is set for life and that, one way or the other, the whole Wiki thing's going to be around for quite a while.

I agree 100%. Wales is in with the hi-tech glitterati, and that will take him a long way. Having said that, Wikia is a first class dot.com if I've ever seen one. It is amazing that he is getting even the money he's getting.

It's an open question as to whether the encyclopedia will survive in the sense of having any real broad respect, but the "Wiki" phenomenon will be with us and Wikia will be generating the good life for a handful of insiders..

I agree again.

The idea that anyone would actually donate their money, let alone their time, to Wikipedia is just preposterous in light of this information. So, the task is to make the truth nice and clear, and broadly accessible. People shouldn't have to hunt this down as much as I've had to.

You know that most administrators are still in high school, right? Either that or they are tech support, and administrating Wikipedia from work, while being paid so its a no-loss situation. With the added plus that they get to boss people around after being treated like, well, tech support, at work. Thats the brilliance of Wikipedia. It milks people who are pleased to work for free. The problem is that the Foundation is protected legally, so they dont give a tiny rats ass about how the administrators treat the users. Which is why Wikipedia winds up with the problems youve doubtless heard of.

General Comment (to anyone) about getting on the Colbert Show:

What someone said back there, about you need to write a book, is 100% true. Colbert is more popular than David Letterman right now, both Colbert and Jon Stewart are places which invite very, very famous people.

I think that most people havent been watching that show, as the normal guests are: George Tenet (former head of the CIA), Ron Reagan, Ariana Huffington.

Wikipedia Review needs to raise its profile before it gets on there. Or someone needs to write a book that qualifies as a bestseller.

Otherwise, we're just a blog that thinks that they deserve to be interviewed.

Greg, you did great on tv before. But you need to have some reason to be up there. They need a reason to put you there.

Shows like that dont put you up there because there is injustice. They put you up there because there is something famous, newsy, or showy.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 11:23am) *

P.S. Didn't anyone think my daughter was cute?!

Adorable.
blissyu2
I'm sure that they interview some people that aren't totally famous. That was my impression at least.

Anyway, it can't hurt, can it? It might be a pie in the sky dream, but if we put in a submission, and get rejected, well, as long as we learn from it, its all good. And you never know, there might be some chance. Stranger things have happened.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 1:59pm) *

I'm sure that they interview some people that aren't totally famous. That was my impression at least. Anyway, it can't hurt, can it? It might be a pie in the sky dream, but if we put in a submission, and get rejected, well, as long as we learn from it, its all good. And you never know, there might be some chance. Stranger things have happened.

Well, sure, you can try. I agree with this. But if you try, you need to have a good angle. Some reason for them to pick you up. Lest you damage any future possibility with them.

Speaking of which, on the press article section today, both Google and Yahoo have picked up the story of the SEO Roundtable, which contained the Digital Marketing guy from Comedy Central, Don Steele. Comedy Central is the network which runs the Colbert Report, also the Jon Stewart show. CC is very "indy", for a big network. They hit it big with Stewart and Colbert.

He'd be an excellent contact for you. Jonathan Hochman, Durovas small friend was considered esteemed enough to attend that meeting. If JH can get in the same panel as the Comedy Central DMarketing guy, anyone here has a fair shot.

Still, you're better off with a book to hawk, then just to get up there and complain about Wikipedia, which will only make it seem like you are a detractor. Or you need to have a set of objectives for Wikipedia to meet, that would solve the problems which bother you, or WR.

Just to go up there to "tawk" wouldn't ever happen.

And to point out the Slimvirgin spy case isn't going to get them excited. With wikiscanner, it was proven that the CIA edits the site, and so if she's a spy, and edits, so what? People aren't going to get why she is so disliked. In fact, the reason most of you dislike her is that she's been unfair or abusive to you.

Which is your angle, in a nutshell.

Not being banned on Wikipedia would be a plus, since their main argument for any criticism is that the critiquor has been banned, and is just mad about that. That's false, of course, but you need to be able to prove that incorrect.
Cedric
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 3:29pm) *

Not being banned on Wikipedia would be a plus, since their main argument for any criticism is that the critiquor has been banned, and is just mad about that. That's false, of course, but you need to be able to prove that incorrect.

I don't think that Colbert would care that much about whether the guest had been banned from WP or not--didn't he get banned himself over that elephant thing? If anything, being banned for a really stupid reason might be an enhancement.
Nathan
Which is (again) where Greg comes in because he has been.
Pwok
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 12:08pm) *
You know that most administrators are still in high school, right?

It makes for a great insult, but how does anyone actually know that?

Either that or they are tech support, and administrating Wikipedia from work, while being paid so its a no-loss situation. With the added plus that they get to boss people around after being treated like, well, tech support, at work.

Plausible, but again, how do you know?

Thats the brilliance of Wikipedia. It milks people who are pleased to work for free. The problem is that the Foundation is protected legally, so they dont give a tiny rats ass about how the administrators treat the users. Which is why Wikipedia winds up with the problems youve doubtless heard of.

The foundation should be protected. I've been in a volunteer organization, and I know first-hand how much of a pain in the ass volunteers can be. The issue is standards (real standards, not a set of "pillars" and "principles" that serve as covers for idiosyncracies and sheer caprice, tolerated because the perps are "likable") and training, both of which are glaringly absent at Wikipedia.

Administration and training are vital in any enterprise, but they are especially vital in a volunteer organization due to the high turnover of personnel. This brings a lot of inexperienced people in the door, and those people have to be infused with the enterprise's standards and values. This is just as true, and in fact even truer, of administrators. If you have corrupt, unethical, capricious administrators, you'll destroy your enterprise in no time flat. This is what's happening at Wikipedia.

I've written in other threads about the core problem at Wikipedia, the negotiability of truth. Many organizations, if not most, come with built-in contradictions. Administration is what separates the winners from the also-rans, and techies are just horrible at administration. They tend to be either anarchists or brittle fascists. You see both kinds at Wikipedia, mixed with a heaping portion of liars and/or those who don't really care what's true.

Wikipedia Review needs to raise its profile before it gets on there. Or someone needs to write a book that qualifies as a bestseller.

The media is entirely about public relations. I was an occasional guest on electronic media and was quoted in all the usual print sources too, and I don't think there was ever a case where it didn't start with a p.r. firm. Once you're on the speed dial then you're in, but to get in you have to pay someone who has connections. It sucks, but that's how it works. The "news media" wouldn't know a real story if it slithered up and bit 'em on the ass, so they depend on packagers.
blissyu2
Wikipedia was discussed for 30 minutes this morning in our 3 hour long "breakfast show". That has never happened before. I'd say that criticism of Wikipedia is currently the "in" thing.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Pwok @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 3:41pm) *

You know that most administrators are still in high school, right?

It makes for a great insult, but how does anyone actually know that?

Wow. You dont know much about Wikipedia, (excuse my frankness here) or you'd not consider that an insult. It is simply a known thing. I'm looking for a statistic, but if you've been on wiki for any short amount of time, and had dealings with the admins, or the cabal, then you know for a fact that most are under 18 or so.

It isnt an insult at all for them to be young. Not in the wikipedia mindset. But sure, I can find the admins theyve interviewed in the real press, sure.

Have you really been on Wikipedia? Honestly, if you disbelieve this, I have to wonder.

I was amazed to discover this, myself. It isnt a widely known point, unless you are involved with wikipedia.

So please find here a discussion on Wikipedia, about raising the admin limit to age 18. Note the strong opinions here, and the comments about 14 year olds being great admins, etc. Especially note the reference to a wonderful 13 year old bureaucrat. Bureaucrats are like 3rd level administrators, having the power to appoint administrators.

Age Limits for Admins?

I think that we should have an age limit for administrators. Perhaps one of 18 -- with absolutely no exeptions. Some might think that an admin can do his job just as well being under 18, but look at it this way: We dont let people drive who are under a certain age, and I'm sure there are plenty of under-16 year olds proficient enough to drive a car just fine.

Unless we set an age limit for those entrusted to run this site, Wikipedia will never be taken seriously as a source for verifiable, reliable information. It will always be thought of as a school-yard clique -- as it is now.Shelburne Kismaayo 02:46, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

1) you are a little late 2)there is no way you are going to be able to confirm ages 3)We know that sub 18 admins can do a perfectly good job 4)admins don't really run the site. Individual admins really don't run the site 5)we judge every admin so if lack of maturity is a problem they will not make it to adminship. 6)adminship is no big deal 7)you are far less likely to kill people in the role of a wiki admin than driving a car.Geni 03:05, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

Well said. →Raul654 03:11, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

Shelburne, let me tell you one thing right now. I find your statement insulting, baseless, and ill-informed. And my college professors take Wikipedia rather seriously; in fact, they're intrigued by the fact that I'm a Wikipedia admin. They all tell me "we LOVE Wikipedia! It's one of the first places I look". So... do you have a purpose for this rant besides crying because the RFC against Redwolf isn't doing you any justice? Linuxbeak | Talk 03:16, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

Linuxbeak, he might be a trouble user, but you're making his case for him. Geni's reply was reasonable, yours lookslike the sort of rant I'd expect from... well Shelburne (and his related socks). Every critical message does not demand a harsh reply, take a look at the other replies here... --Gmaxwell 23:06, 18 October 2005 (UTC)

The main reason the real world defines thresholds in terms of arbitrary ages is that society can not really afford the time and expense to certify whether or not any given individual has the skills and maturity to deal with situations like driving, smoking, drinking, voting, etc. So as a society we set some arbitrary boundaries and hope that most of the people that have reached that age are qualified for the rights and responsibilities being bestowed upon them. Frankly, it is fairly crappy system as it, since there are inevitably some "kids" that are substantially more trustworthy than some "adults". Unlike society at large, Wikipedia does take the time and effort to judge the qualifications and attributes of each candidate. In the process we (hopefully) weed out the immature candidates of all ages through a process of peer evaluation that is certainly more effective than any arbitrary age barrier would be. Dragons flight 03:48, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

One of the main differences between wikipedia and real life is that age matters much less here, though IMO the significant, active admins tend to be adults. I would do like (apparently) the Roman senators did and make the age bar 42 but, as Geni says, we never ask admins or anyone else to give personal information away, and that is as it should be. Trying to changer that would be major policy change anyway. I believe ione of the bureaucrats (who officially appoint the admins) is 13, and there is perhaps something commendable in giving such responsibilities to young people, SqueakBox 03:18, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

I recently noticed, he turned 14. Dragons flight 03:48, 17 October 2005 (UTC)
Shouldn't this thread be somewhere else? I had thought I was on the Rfa talk page, SqueakBox 03:19, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

I think an age limit of 18 is a fine idea. Then we could get rid of all the corrupt administrators that are older than 18. --Zephram Stark 03:20, 17 October 2005 (UTC)
There are many, more important reasons why Wikipedia will or won't be taken seriously by whoever. I seriously doubt that an age limit for admins is one of them and I doubt that it would make any difference in public perceptions of this site. Gamaliel 03:33, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

I think this should be enforced by consensus. If someone's under a certain age and you want to oppose on those grounds, feel free to do so. Y0u (Y0ur talk page) (Y0ur contributions) 03:36, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

I think not discriminating based on age should be enforced by consensus. The only argument for RFAs being restricted by age is if someone was being immature and not respecting wiki principles- in such a case discriminating on age is pointless, since examples would abound; futhermore, this would catch a lot of innocent users in the same net, or force them to lie/withold data. Considerations on age is a bad idea. --Maru (talk) 04:01, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

I strongly agree with Maru - if someone were to discriminate on the basis of age, I would hope a b'crat would disregard it as spurious - much like discrimination on the basis of race, nationality, sexual orientation... Guettarda 04:08, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

I think I misphrased what I was trying to say. What I meant to say is that, regardless of how any indidvidual feels about it (I very strongly opposed it myself, but I may be biased being 19 myself,) there's no need for such a rule or lack thereof; if one feels that it's a good reason for a user not to be made an admin, they can oppose any RFA on those grounds. There's no need for concrete qualifications for admins, period. Y0u (Y0ur talk page) (Y0ur contributions) 04:12, 17 October 2005 (UTC)
Whatever the case, this sort of policy will be impossible to enforce because nobody will post their true ages anymore. Zzyzx11 (Talk) 05:16, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

Shelburne Kismaayo has proved to be a sockpuppet of a banned user (See below). Do not feed the trolls. Redwolf24 (talk—How's my driving?) 05:21, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

Well, trolls aside, this is quite a narrow-minded idea. I know twelve-year olds that are more mature than so-called "adults". Maturity is not determined by age, period. Besides the policy being unenforceable, it is simply a bad idea. Titoxd(?!?) 05:24, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

And to whoever said our best admins are old: Refer to My Teenage Wikipedians essay. Redwolf24 (talk—How's my driving?) 05:24, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

It would be easier to refer to it if the link actually worked. — JIP | Talk 07:28, 17 October 2005 (UTC)
hey, some of our admins may be young; that doesn't automatically mean that they are the people writing our articles on field theory, ancient history and literary criticism. So I don't see how our content should be taken an less seriously if our vandals are being blocked by youngsters. If we have a problem with credibility, it is not with the admin population, but with the kook/wierdo population among our editors, often sporting grey beards. If anything, the limit could be suggested for the arbcom; I would be uncomfortable with having involved content disputes judged by 14-year-olds. I have no problem with 14-year-olds valiantly protecting our content. 83.77.208.46 07:25, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

Age limits for admins are an incredibly stupid idea. Who's to say people under 18 can't be taken seriously? I myself nominated a 15-year-old for an admin, and the request succeeded. — JIP | Talk 07:27, 17 October 2005 (UTC)

What a silly idea. The necessary social and technical skills to be an admin are not much different to those needed to be, e.g., a message board moderator, and plenty of teenagers are quite able to discharge that duty competently. We have plenty of very good Wiki admins who are teenagers. You have posited a solution in search of a problem. - David Gerard 11:47, 17 October 2005 (UTC) (age 38)

For the record, regardless of any trolling by originator of discussion, no age limits under any circumstances. MONGO 10:19, 18 October 2005 (UTC) (age: older than David Gerard)
Disillusioned Lackey
More on age. This from an article in the press.

Boston Globe: Many Contributors, Common Cause
The bulk of Wikipedians seem to be young. ''I'm 48, probably double the mean demographic of most Wikipedia writers," said David Denniston of Santa Barbara, Calif., who has written 400 articles on early music. ''There are a lot of people in their teens or early 20s, mostly focused on pop culture. There's an enormous number of articles on every rock band, TV show, and character you can think of."

For the young, relying on information found free on the Internet -- whatever their interests -- is as natural as taking a book off a library shelf was for their parents.

''When I need to find information about something, I usually go to Wikipedia first," said Harrison Chen, 16, a junior at Chelmsford High School. ''I like it as a reference -- it feels good that I am contributing to it, and that others will read something I wrote and find it useful. I added an article about one of the artists on 'The Simpsons' who came from Chelmsford. I know a lot of colleges don't like Wikipedia because you can edit it," he said. ''I do cite it, because most of my teachers don't mind."

From the article: The Faces of Wikipedia.

Another article: Ontario Star: Inside Wikipedia; Meet a 13-year-old administrator of the voice of Internet authority

He can lock down the pages most prone to vandalism - say, the one about U.S. President George W. Bush - and he can exercise the final say on the never-ending discussion about page deletions.

Oh, one other thing. Mitchell is 13.

"I don't tell people on the site my age,'' says Mitchell, who will enter Grade 8 in September. "Some will have less respect for me than they do now.''

Mitchell lives with his parents, Adrian and Darlene, and younger brother Miles.

"He has always wanted to know the wheres and whys of everything,'' says Darlene, 49, who works as a part-time real estate agent's assistant. (Adrian, 48, is an aircraft mechanic.)

And then, the old favorite:

Can Teenagers Write an Encyclopedia? (Los Angeles Chronicle)

The Wikipedia - Can Teenagers write an Encyclopedia? - July 31, 2007 - Sam Vaknin Ph.D.
The vast majority of Wikipedia contributors and editors are under the age of 25. Many of the administrators (senior editors) are in their teens. This has been established by a survey conducted in 2003 and in various interviews with Jimmy Wales, the co-founder of the enterprise.

The truth is that teenagers cannot do the referencing and research that are the prerequisite to serious scholarship - unless you stretch these words to an absurd limit. Research is not about hoarding facts. It is about identifying and applying context and about possessing a synoptic view of ostensibly unrelated data.

Moreover, teenagers can't tell hype from fact and fad from fixture. They lack the perspectives that life and learning -structured, frontal, hierarchical learning - bring with them.

Knowledge is not another democratic institution. It is hierarchical for good reason and the hierarchy is built on merit and the merit is founded on learning.

It is not surprising that the Wikipedia emerged in the USA whose "culture" consists of truncated attention spans, snippets and soundbites, shortcuts and cliff notes. The Wikipedia is a pernicious counter-cultural phenomenon. It does not elevate or celebrate knowledge. The Wikipedia degrades knowledge by commoditizing it and by removing the filters and the barriers to entry that have proven so essential hitherto.

Wikipdians boast that the articles in their "encyclopedia" are replete with citations and references. But citations from which sources and references to which works and authors? Absent the relevant credentials and education, how can an editor tell the difference between information and disinformation, fact and hearsay, truth and confabulation?

Knowledge is not comprised of lists of facts, "facts", factoids, and rumors, the bread and butter of the Wikipedia. Real facts have to be verified, classified, and arranged within a historical and cultural context. Wikipedia articles read like laundry lists of information gleaned from secondary sources and invariably lack context and deep, true understanding of their subject matter.

A recent (late 2006) study by Heather Hopkins from Hitwise demonstrates the existence of a pernicious feedback loop between Google, Wikipedia, MySpace, and Blogspot. Wikipedia gets 54% of its traffic from Google search results. The majority of Wikipedia visitors then proceed to MySpace or Blogspot, both of which use Google as their search service and serve Google-generated advertisements.
(excerpt)

blissyu2
Based on the common theme from WR that many people here criticise Wikipedia for being too young, I would suggest that WR members are generally somewhat older than WP members. I am not sure that that is true, but that would be my guess.
Derktar
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:53pm) *

Based on the common theme from WR that many people here criticise Wikipedia for being too young, I would suggest that WR members are generally somewhat older than WP members. I am not sure that that is true, but that would be my guess.

That's probably right, I'm 19 but I'm sure the vast majority of WR members are older with more experience about things. The average Wikipedia user in my experience is young, usually immature but probably means well and contributes only to topics they are familiar with or go around correcting puncuation and grammatical errors. It's often the older admins on Wikipedia who realize the power they can have and the influence they can weild over important subjects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.