Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MichaelMoore.com: Attack Site?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
SenseMaker
Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents#Attack_site

It seems that a paid shill of the pharmaceutical companies has been trying to slant the Wikipedia article of Sicko. Michael Moore has responded by pointing this out on his website. The pharma shill has responded by saying that MichaelMoore.com is an attack site and now should be completely removed from all Wikipedia articles.

You have to check out http://www.michaelMoore.com , it features a 30 point font exposure of this pharma shill.
blissyu2
Heh. Everyone is an attack site.

This is becoming stupid. "Thou art a witch!"

Its becoming like the old sock puppet accusations, but using web sites instead of users.

I think I might e-mail Michael Moore and see if he wants to write here. He is a critic of practically everything, so surely he's a critic of Wikipedia too.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:17am) *

I think I might e-mail Michael Moore and see if he wants to write here. He is a critic of practically everything, so surely he's a critic of Wikipedia too.
smile.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 12:35pm) *

smile.gif

You just got to love Michael Moore. I mean unless your Mongo, Morty, Team America or something.
SenseMaker
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 6:42pm) *
smiling.gif
You just got to love Michael Moore. I mean unless your Mongo, Morty, Team America or something.

Michael Moore is a rablerouser. Myself, I'm not a major fan and I haven't seen Sicko. I just noticed that Proabivouac/Timothy Usher must be reading this site as he just started to back up THF on an AfD, the guy Michael Moore was criticizing.

badlydrawnjeff
Michael Moore is a douchebag. I'm glad he's getting his rocks off.
SenseMaker
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 7:24pm) *

It's funny don't you think?

This THF is one ballsy guy: Here he reverts an edit Raul654 as vandalism using TW.

It looks like THF is revert warring with a lot of Wikipedian on this article including Viridae. THF mostly seems concerned about maintaining some tag, either {{unbalanced}} or {{pov}}, at the top of the page. His last 20 edits to Sicko appear to deal with adding back these tags. He isn't getting much support from other contributors.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(SenseMaker @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 3:32pm) *

[Name Redacted — No, The Other Name Redacted] is a douchebag. I'm glad he's getting his rocks off.

This THF is one ballsy guy: Here he reverts an edit Raul654 as vandalism using TW.

Michael Moore has got ∑thing like 100 times the credibility of all of Wikipedia put together.

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 1:40pm) *

QUOTE(SenseMaker @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 3:32pm) *

[Name Redacted — No, The Other Name Redacted] is a douchebag. I'm glad he's getting his rocks off.

Michael Moore has got ∑thing like 100 times the credibility of all of Wikipedia put togteher.

Jonny cool.gif

Let them piss Mikey off. I think the WP harassment would make a nice little short subject. Maybe an animation like the American History thing in Bowling for Columbine.
blissyu2
It looks like we are pretty much divided in opinion on Michael Moore, making him a perfect person to come here. I hope that he does, or someone involved with him. Now that he has an interest in Wikipedia, he may find this discussion board quite interesting.

Personally, I've only read one of his books and seen one of his movies (separate subjects), but he seems to be mostly pretty good. I have considered the possibility that he may be doing it at least partially for publicity, but I don't know really. My family (on my Dad's side), all of the protestors and such, love Michael Moore to bits, but my mum's side couldn't give two hoots about him. So I am one half love him, one half couldn't care less. LOL. That's about it for me.
Kato
QUOTE(SenseMaker @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 7:45pm) *

smile.gif

Michael Moore is a rablerouser. Myself, I'm not a major fan and I haven't seen Sicko. I just noticed that Proabivouac/Timothy Usher must be reading this site as he just started to back up THF on an AfD, the guy Michael Moore was criticizing.

You obviously haven't checked our latest member at the foot of the page.

Welcome Proabivouac.
badlydrawnjeff
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 7:40pm) *

Michael Moore has got ∑thing like 100 times the credibility of all of Wikipedia put together.

Somewhat ironic, because it's interesting to see the types who defend Moore on WP also be so voracious about fact-checking. A significant disconnect.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:17pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 7:40pm) *

Somewhat ironic, because it's interesting to see the types who defend Moore on WP also be so voracious about fact-checking. A significant disconnect.

I didn't say he had a LOT of credibility — I just said he had ∑thing like 100 times the credibility of all of Wikipedia put together.

Jonny cool.gif
Ashibaka
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 5:17pm) *

Heh. Everyone is an attack site.

It makes you think... maybe their definition of "attack site" is a little wrong?
D.A.F.
I lost part of my estime for him after his depiction of the Canadian Healt care system which he depicted much better than it really is and then his uninformed comment on the situation here in Quebec during an interview to a Quebec news channel. I think he should just remove the direct link to the editing page from his site, it is an open invitation to meatpuppet. But given that he probably does not edit he has no real knowledge of Wikipedia policies, someone has to tell him.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 3:19pm) *

I lost part of my estime for him after his depiction of the Canadian Healt care system which he depicted much better than it really is and then his uninformed comment on the situation here in Quebec during an interview to a Quebec news channel. I think he should just remove the direct link to the editing page from his site, it is an open invitation to meatpuppet. But given that he probably does not edit he has no real knowledge of Wikipedia policies, someone has to tell him.

Come on down and get your health care in the U.S.A. Bring your wallet.
D.A.F.
This Crockspot is a real idiot.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 5:23pm) *

I am not saying it is better in the US, I am saying that he depict our system much better than it actually is. Come up here in Montreal and wait a day in the waiting list, or come in our hospital bedroom's with 6 people packed in a small area without climatisation. Or all those beds on the hallways because there is no other places to put them.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 5:19pm) *

I lost part of my estime for him after his depiction of the Canadian Health care system which he depicted much better than it really is and then his uninformed comment on the situation here in Quebec during an interview to a Quebec news channel. I think he should just remove the direct link to the editing page from his site, it is an open invitation to meatpuppet. But given that he probably does not edit he has no real knowledge of Wikipedia policies, someone has to tell him.

Yes, Health Canada has declined from the more admirable condition that it was in 10 years ago, but try to live in the US without health insurance before you judge it too harshly. And as far as Talking To Americans goes, I'm guessing that MM is ∑thing like 100 times better informed about Canada than the average US'er.

Jonny cool.gif
D.A.F.
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 5:30pm) *

QUOTE(Xidaf @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 5:19pm) *

I lost part of my estime for him after his depiction of the Canadian Health care system which he depicted much better than it really is and then his uninformed comment on the situation here in Quebec during an interview to a Quebec news channel. I think he should just remove the direct link to the editing page from his site, it is an open invitation to meatpuppet. But given that he probably does not edit he has no real knowledge of Wikipedia policies, someone has to tell him.

Yes, Health Canada has declined from the more admirable condition that it was in 10 years ago, but try to live in the US without health insurance before you judge it too harshly. And as far as Talking To Americans goes, I'm guessing that MM is ∑thing like 100 times better informed about Canada than the average US'er.

Jonny cool.gif

I agree, I believe our health system is better than the US, but it is much worst than what Moore depict it.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 3:30pm) *

This Crockspot is a real idiot.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 5:23pm) *

I am not saying it is better in the US, I am saying that he depict our system much better than it actually is. Come up here in Montreal and wait a day in the waiting list, or come in our hospital bedroom's with 6 people packed in a small area without climatisation. Or all those beds on the hallways because there is no other places to put them.

I didn't mean to sound so sharp. There are probably many progressive reasons for criticizing Canada's health care system, just like America's VA health care needs to be criticized. But in America (I hear Team America gathering now) millions die simply for the want of any access to health care at all. They might die in a hospital, as urgent care cannot be refused, the but health care that would have kept them alive is denied.

This is a situation without parallel in the developed world. So I can see why Moore might have been willing to overlook some of Canada's short comings.
blissyu2
I've been told that Canada's welfare system is similar to Australia's, and Australia's is regarded as one of the best in the world (if not the best). I am proud of our health care system, and consider it to be excellent. Sadly, since John Howard was elected Prime Minister in 1995, and managed to weasel his way in to multiple additional terms on the false argument that the person that couldn't possibly have done PA actually did it because of loose firearms control, and as a result he has Americanised our economy in every respect. One of the Americanisations is to privatise health care. We still probably have one of the best health care systems in the world, but it is currently on a knife edge, and one more slash and it will be as bad as USA's. Hopefully the latest opposition, Kevin Rudd, doesn't fail in the wake of strippergate (he was found to have visited a strip joint recently).

I don't know the exact standard of Canada's health care, and if they are either better or worse than Australia's right now. The last time that I was told about Canada's standards, they were, like Australia's, one of the best in the world.
Nathan
Well, it can't be beat except for the long waits - and it unfortunately doesn't cover dental, as some countries do cover that.
Infoboy
So Michael Moore basically disclosed and revealed that an employee of a given pharma company is maliciously editing articles related to that pharma company to put them in a better light, and to put the critics of the pharma company and their work in a negative light.

Well done. When is THF getting a topic and article ban handed down to him on the Community Sanction Noticeboard?

THF's edit history overview:

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~interiot/cgi-bi...n.wikipedia.org
SenseMaker
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 10:34pm) *

I've been told that Canada's welfare system is similar to Australia's, and Australia's is regarded as one of the best in the world (if not the best). I am proud of our health care system, and consider it to be excellent. Sadly, since John Howard was elected Prime Minister in 1995, and managed to weasel his way in to multiple additional terms on the false argument that the person that couldn't possibly have done PA actually did it because of loose firearms control, and as a result he has Americanised our economy in every respect. One of the Americanisations is to privatise health care. We still probably have one of the best health care systems in the world, but it is currently on a knife edge, and one more slash and it will be as bad as USA's. Hopefully the latest opposition, Kevin Rudd, doesn't fail in the wake of strippergate (he was found to have visited a strip joint recently).

I don't know the exact standard of Canada's health care, and if they are either better or worse than Australia's right now. The last time that I was told about Canada's standards, they were, like Australia's, one of the best in the world.

Wikipedia:Administrators'_noticeboard/Incidents#Attack_site

Over on AN/I MONGO and Crockspot are going nuts and arbitrarily removing links to MichaelMoore.com in support of THF again the consensus as they claim they are following policy. It's sort of funny how they are supporting each other in the AN/I thread like everyone isn't aware that they always reactively support each other and run around in teams.

But the big issue with this is THF WASN'T OUTTED. Many people already knew his identity especially since he hasn't tried to hide the fact that his Wikipedia Username is the initials of his real name.

EDIT: It's over on AN/I, too bad, it would have been fun to watch the fight continue and widen.
Infoboy
MONGO and Crockspot are now censoring Wikipedia by removing all links to michaelmoore.com from the entire encyclopedia.

BADSITES strikes again.
thekohser
QUOTE(Infoboy @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 6:44pm) *

Well done. When is THF getting a topic and article ban handed down to him on the Community Sanction Noticeboard?

THF's edit history overview:

The thing I love is that THF is supposedly on a Wikibreak. Awfully busy lately, for being on a break.

Greg
blissyu2
Good to see the spiffy new photo in TheKohser, it looks great with your posts.

One thing that I am seeing from this reaction here is that Crockspot is still very much keen on becoming an administrator.

Wait for Requests for Adminship: Crockspot 2. Next time he will make sure that he rigs the ballot boxes so that he wins.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Infoboy @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 4:47pm) *

MONGO and Crockspot are now censoring Wikipedia by removing all links to michaelmoore.com from the entire encyclopedia.

BADSITES strikes again.

I think it is incredible. Nothing like pissing off Michael Moore to get attention on Wikipedia flagrant abuses.

He's furious about badmouthing of Sicko, so maybe he'll pay attention to the Wikipedia propaganda machine we all know and love. Or something.
blissyu2
I really do hope that Michael Moore posts here. Or someone affiliated with him. I know that a lot of people think that he sucks, and that he goes too far, and is irrational, but he is high-profile, and the fact that half of us don't like him makes him the perfect person for this site, because it'll make us think, and we won't be mindlessly accepting him.

I don't know if anyone can remember the whole Andrew Orlowski deal. I think that that failed because we all loved him so much, and we should have been more critical of him. I also blew that somewhat by not responding directly to his e-mail and instead published it on the forum. He was going to interview me personally. Instead he ran the article on Wikitruth...

But it is interesting, and quite apt, that Michael Moore is now weighing in on Wikipedia criticism. Judging by the way that he has criticised everything else, I would be surprised if he limited it to criticism of just one person and just one incident. I think that he would want to go the whole hog and do a complete expose.

So all we want is credit, Michael Moore. Oh and a share of the movie rights perhaps.
Viridae
QUOTE(SenseMaker @ Fri 24th August 2007, 5:32am) *

It looks like THF is revert warring with a lot of Wikipedian on this article including Viridae. THF mostly seems concerned about maintaining some tag, either {{unbalanced}} or {{pov}}, at the top of the page. His last 20 edits to Sicko appear to deal with adding back these tags. He isn't getting much support from other contributors.

I am being revert warred with????????????
blissyu2
QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 24th August 2007, 7:24pm) *

QUOTE(SenseMaker @ Fri 24th August 2007, 5:32am) *

I am being revert warred with????????????

It took me a while, but I finally got what you were trying to say. So, Viridae, you weren't revert warring with THF?

I just looked at http://www.michaelmoore.com/ and I note that it no longer has reference to user THF on Wikipedia.

It seems that Michael Moore didn't like being regarded as an attack site.
thekohser
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Fri 24th August 2007, 3:50am) *

I really do hope that Michael Moore posts here.

Michael Moore getting involved on Wikipedia Review might inspire him for his next movie -- "Mumbo Jimbo".

Also, we'd then have three Michigan State aficionados here: Awbrey, Michael, and me!

I've had correspondence with Michael Moore in the past (when he took exception to something I wrote about him in my blog -- before they were called blogs -- called American Cynic). We came to see the matter eye-to-eye. I'll try to send him a note today.

Greg
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 24th August 2007, 8:58am) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Fri 24th August 2007, 3:50am) *

I really do hope that Michael Moore posts here.

Michael Moore getting involved on Wikipedia Review might inspire him for his next movie — "Mumbo Jimbo".

Also, we'd then have three Michigan State aficionados here: [Name Redacted], Michael, and me!

I've had correspondence with Michael Moore in the past (when he took exception to something I wrote about him in my blog — before they were called blogs — called American Cynic). We came to see the matter eye-to-eye. I'll try to send him a note today.

Greg

Maybe we can tempt him to sign on with the offer of a Visiting Scowler position and the rites to use this fine Avatar:

http://www.enolagaia.com/SprtyMad80X80.gif

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 24th August 2007, 9:31am) *

Maybe we can tempt him to sign on with the offer of a Visiting Scowler position and the rites to use this fine Avatar:

Jonny cool.gif

There's no need for a character avatar. Moore's already caught frequently being his pro-Sparty self:
FORUM Image
FORUM Image
FORUM Image

(E)S(sjay) GO STATE!
FORUM Image

Greg

Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 24th August 2007, 9:55am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 24th August 2007, 9:31am) *

Jonny cool.gif

There's no need for a character avatar. Moore's already caught frequently being his pro-Sparty self:

[Mug Redacted]

(E)S(sjay) GO STATE!

[License Rescinded]

Greg

Nah, he looks way too friendly there for a Visiting Scowler. It'd make the rest of us look bad.

Oh wait —

Jonny cool.gif
Cedric
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Fri 24th August 2007, 6:21am) *

I just looked at http://www.michaelmoore.com/ and I note that it no longer has reference to user THF on Wikipedia.

It seems that Michael Moore didn't like being regarded as an attack site.

Nah, it's still there--just moved down from the headline. And Michael added a pic.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 23rd August 2007, 9:23pm) *

Or get lousy free care, it's your choice. I recall that Canadian Tom Green came to the states to have his testicular cancer treated because there was a 9 month wait to see an oncologist in Canada.

I also believe that if (for example) Michael Moore happened to trip down the stairs and tear his ACL while on a visit to England, the NHS would decline to fix it, since (a) it's partly his fault because he's fat, and (cool.gif since he's not an athlete it's not worth the taxpayer's money to fix.

There is a recent BBC story on how much lower cancer survival rates are in England than the rest of Europe. I'm too lazy to look up the link, but some of the comments are interesting too.
blissyu2
By the way, if you want to see a quick glance at all of THF's edits (especially seeing his edits to Sicko), try using wannabe kate:

It demonstrates that he's edited sicko more than any other article.

Talk about conflict of interest!
CrazyGameOfPoker
Especially considering that Mr. Frank recently wrote a rather scathing article on Moore.

And for the record, THF is definitely Ted Frank. Since there's been some talk of deletion of his userpage, it's been archived.

Correction, as I was typing this Sarah just deleted THF's user page and got rid of all the old diffs. You were *so* close, Sarah =P.
blissyu2
Yes, Sarah, that "good admin". LOL. Well, slightly better than Yamla!

His username was TedFrank until recently. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:TedFrank

No doubt whatsoever that he wasn't outed. He used his own real name as his Wikipedia name!! Duh!

I got the hint from his own talk page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:THF#Nelson_Frank

LOL. Some secret!
CrazyGameOfPoker
It just keeps getting better and better....

Apparently it's harassment now to link to the Wikipedia user rename logs.

Momma hide the children, a tornado's coming...
blissyu2
That ElinorD, just seems to like to protect the good name of all of Wikipedia's worst users.
Morton_devonshire

Dude, you're a little obsessed with us, I think. My guess is that you're that Librarian from Florida.
CrazyGameOfPoker
The moment we've all been waiting for...

Jimbo weighs in.
blissyu2
QUOTE(Morton_devonshire @ Sun 26th August 2007, 8:19am) *

Dude, you're a little obsessed with us, I think. My guess is that you're that Librarian from Florida.

I just watched Team America:World Police yesterday. Man that's an awesome movie.

"America! Fuck yeah!" I love the "Dick" speech.

Anyway, Morton Devonshire is far too reasonable to be in the group. I'm sorry, but I struggle to believe he is involved in anything sinister. And as for MONGO, he just seems to be completely clueless, so I can't see that he's doing anything serious. Maybe abusive, but he's more like Dubya than anything. Like a puppy dog.

However, it does help our reputation if we become anti-American. That's better than being described as antisemitic, so we should roll with that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.