Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: www.MyCommunityLink.com vs WP
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Kato
www.MyCommunityLink.com got the brush off recently, and their article speedily deleted amidst denouncements of "spam" and "incivility" from WP commissars. This editor's history tells the tale. And presumably it was the same person who went onto Linked in Answers to vent his spleen. The ubiquitous David Gerard "tries to give a helpful answer" to the poster's rage.

Here's MyCommunityLink's side of the story:
Today, my team visited Wikipedia's "free encyclopedia" and added www.MyCommunityLink.com to the known list of web-based social networking services. Afterall, MyCommunityLink.com is the patent-pending SSL-secure social networking service for neighborhoods since June of 2003 (pre Facebook, MySpace, Ning, etc.).

However, within moments, our entry was tagged for "speedy deletion". So, out of curiosity it was added it again and again by our team over a day... We witnessed each time it was added it was immediately tagged for "speedy deletion" by an anonymous "Wikipedia administrator" hiding in a dark censorship "backroom." After about ten deletes we received a threatening message about expected "Wikipedia civil behavior." I have these questions:

1) Has anyone encountered oxymoronic censorship tied to FREE "information?"
2) Does vested-interest exclusion of information discredit their "encyclopedia" claims?
3) Does providing a FREE service entitle the provider to "do whatever they want?"
4) Would you pay a small fee for complete information that has not been censored in any way?

Personally, I think this brute-level censorship is gutless, disturbing and red flags what the "powerful will dictate" once all competition is eliminated by their "FREE" offerings. What are your thoughts? I don't like "anonymous" censorship. I think it's dangerous. Please comment.
blissyu2
Interesting.
guy
Do we know who was doing the tagging and deleting? Was it always the same one or two people?
Viridae
2 different people tagged it and two different people deleted it. And frankly the text was very spammish. Sure they might be worth an entry, I don't know but if they are they need to checkout how other articles on similar topics are written - what they had looked like a popup ad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...ink&action=edit that shows the deletion history. I can't show the tagging history but suffice to say it is 2 more different people.
blissyu2
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...MyCommunityLink

That is the deletion history.

And don't show a deleted edit. Even suggesting that they might was enough to get a certain someone de-sysopped.

Whilst hypocritically Wikitruth isn't considered to be a BADSITE, even though it has deleted edits as the whole point of the site.
Viridae
Nah wasn't going to show the deleted edit, or say who did the tagging - its really not of interest. I wouldn't bother to use WP login as my name here if I was going to start revealing stuff. As I said a while back, I'll say nothing here that I wouldn't on WP.
Viridae
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 11th September 2007, 5:45pm) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...MyCommunityLink

That is the deletion history.

And don't show a deleted edit. Even suggesting that they might was enough to get a certain someone de-sysopped.

Whilst hypocritically Wikitruth isn't considered to be a BADSITE, even though it has deleted edits as the whole point of the site.

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 11th September 2007, 6:36pm) *

Yes I noticed that too, and that does help.

It seems even those people that wrote the article are acknowledging that it was spam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.