Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Most Boring Thing You Can Do With A DVD
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
1==2, Or Is It ?

This thread might belong in the Articles Forum, since the inciting case is the AFD for Don Murphy's TIYL (This Is Your Life), but I'm really more interested in the general issue of Wikipedia Notability guidelines, especially the question as to whether there's any standard there at all.

A rule is not a rule unless it applies equally and fairly to every comparable case.

So let us consider the following rule:

The Old (1==2) Criterion Of Notability (The Old 1=2 CON):

QUOTE(Until(1 == 2) @ 07 Sep 2007 UTC 15:23)

Played A Major Role In Several Major Motion Pictures

Here is the context:

We only need a source that says "Don is famous" if we say "Don is famous". We are not, we are claiming he has done things that we consider to establish notability, internally. If we claimed he was famous then yes we need to source that. But if we claim he played a major role in several major motion pictures, then we don't need to source that he is famous, because we are not saying that. ((1 == 2) ? (('Stop') : ('Go')) 15:23, 7 September 2007 (UTC)

Until(1 == 2), WP:AFD/Don Murphy (2nd nomination)

Jonny cool.gif
Nathan
That's a crazy argument - "we don't need to source it because we say so". Am I reading that right?

Utter nonsense.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Nathan @ Fri 7th September 2007, 2:30pm) *

That's a crazy argument — "we don't need to source it because we say so". Am I reading that right?

Utter nonsense.

Yeah, it struck me as a new low in narcissistic self-jerk reason, but I have to say it gave me a clue —

Critique of Narcissistic Self-Jerk Reason ???

Hmmm … it sorta has a ring to it … anybody out there need a thesis title ???

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
Anywaaay, the reason I put needle to thread this time out — and I never would have been bored enough to do this if a power outage hadn't kicked me off the computer for a couple of hours on a rainy day — was to follow up on the (1=2) CON by going over to our DVD shelves and pulling out a random stack of DVD's from the most chaotic corner of the bookcase.

Then I wrote down all the names of producers that were listed on the back — BORING !!!

But here's how far I got before the power came back on —

One thing I noticed right off is that many people are listed as producers, co-producers, or executive producers on films that they acted, directed, or wrote. When a name like that lights up the marquee of my mental theater, I think it's fair to say that it will be for the acting role first, for the directing role second, and with the motley crue of various species of producers a distant third. At any rate, by way of taking this potential confound into account, I added a code to the names to indicate the other jobs they had on the same films.

A = Acted
D = Directed
W = Wrote

√ = has Wikipedia article or stub
… = has no Wikipedia article or stub
? = article, but may be different person

Dynamic List — so give me a while to sort them out …

Producers
  1. √ Anderson, Wes +D+W
  2. √ Bailey, Sean
  3. … Barden, Kerry
  4. … Bergman, Ram
  5. √ Bruckheimer, Jerry
  6. … Bryce, Ian
  7. … Canton, Mark
  8. √ Coen, Ethan +W
  9. … Doran, Lindsay
  10. … Feitshans, Buzz
  11. … Goldman, Bernie
  12. … Griffith, Ted
  13. √ Kennedy, Kathleen
  14. √ Lord, Peter
  15. … McCutchen, Bill
  16. √ Mendel, Barry
  17. … Nunnari, Gianni
  18. √ Park, Nick
  19. √ Rapke, Jack
  20. √ Rudin, Scott
  21. √ Scott, Ridley +D
  22. … Silver, Jeffrey
  23. √ Simpson, Don
  24. √ Spielberg, Steven +D
  25. √ Sproxton, David
  26. … Starkey, Steve
  27. ? Wilson, Colin
  28. √ Ziskin, Laura
  29. … LAST, FIRST
  30. … LAST, FIRST
  31. … LAST, FIRST
  32. … LAST, FIRST
  33. … LAST, FIRST
  34. … LAST, FIRST
  35. … LAST, FIRST

Associate Producers
  1. … Izaac, Raymond
  2. … LAST, FIRST
  3. … LAST, FIRST
  4. … LAST, FIRST
  5. … LAST, FIRST

Co-Producers
  1. √ Foster, Jodie +A
  2. … LAST, FIRST
  3. … LAST, FIRST
  4. … LAST, FIRST
  5. … LAST, FIRST

Line Producers
  1. … Cameron, John
  2. … LAST, FIRST
  3. … LAST, FIRST
  4. … LAST, FIRST
  5. … LAST, FIRST

Executive Producers
  1. √ Arad, Avi
  2. √ Bevan, Tim
  3. … Drake, Joe
  4. √ Fellner, Eric
  5. √ Guber, Peter
  6. … Kahane, Nathan
  7. … Kopeloff, Eric
  8. … Kramer, Cecil
  9. √ Lee, Stan +W
  10. √ Milius, John
  11. √ Peters, Jon
  12. ? Rose, Michael
  13. … Simmons, Rudd
  14. √ Wilson, Owen +A+W
  15. √ Zemeckis, Robert
  16. … LAST, FIRST
  17. … LAST, FIRST
  18. … LAST, FIRST
  19. … LAST, FIRST
  20. … LAST, FIRST

Jonny cool.gif
SqueakBox
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 7th September 2007, 6:10pm) *

1==2, Or Is It ?

This thread might belong in the Articles Forum, since the inciting case is the AFD for Don Murphy's TIYL (This Is Your Life), but I'm really more interested in the general issue of Wikipedia Notability guidelines, especially the question as to whether there's any standard there at all.

A rule is not a rule unless it applies equally and fairly to every comparable case.

So let us consider the following rule:

The Old (1==2) Criterion Of Notability (The Old 1=2 CON):

QUOTE(Until(1 == 2) @ 07 Sep 2007 UTC 15:23)

Played A Major Role In Several Major Motion Pictures

Here is the context:

We only need a source that says "Don is famous" if we say "Don is famous". We are not, we are claiming he has done things that we consider to establish notability, internally. If we claimed he was famous then yes we need to source that. But if we claim he played a major role in several major motion pictures, then we don't need to source that he is famous, because we are not saying that. ((1 == 2) ? (('Stop') : ('Go')) 15:23, 7 September 2007 (UTC)

Until(1 == 2), WP:AFD/Don Murphy (2nd nomination)

Jonny cool.gif

It strikes me that paper encyclopedias never had this problem, I guess because they werent open to being edited by the general public and thus susceptible to vandalism/libel (take your pic). I also wonder if a paper encyclopedia would consider Murphy notable, I suspect not as only a minority of people have heard of him, so if wikipedia opens itself to the general public and then lowers what a reasonable person might consider encyclopedic standards of notability then wikipedia is creating a problematic situation (though these privacy issues go far beyond wikipedia, its also about the internet as a whole) ohmy.gif
Rochelle
QUOTE(Nathan @ Fri 7th September 2007, 2:30pm) *

That's a crazy argument - "we don't need to source it because we say so". Am I reading that right?

Utter nonsense.

Excuse me, but - what?
guy
QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Fri 7th September 2007, 9:21pm) *

I also wonder if a paper encyclopedia would consider Murphy notable, I suspect not as only a minority of people have heard of him

How many people have heard of some Nobel Prizewinners or 1950s French prime ministers? Are they not notable? Notable is not synonymous with famous.
Jonny Cache
Initial results from my very casual pilot study indicate that producers on major motion pictures have about a 50% chance of getting any kind of recognition whatever from Wikipedia. It's actually a little lower than that, as there are several flicks that have 5 or 6 associate, co-, line, or executive producers that I got too yawny to write down, so I will have to go back and pick up their names some time later this weekend.

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.