Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real Encyclopedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Unrepentant Vandal
I thought I should point out - anyone who lives in the UK can access Britannica online for free if they have a library card...

(Note for foreign users: to the best of my knowledge, anyone in the UK is freely entitled to one if they go to their nearest library, and also as far as I know need no proof of anything)
JohnA
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Sat 8th September 2007, 9:59pm) *

I thought I should point out - anyone who lives in the UK can access Britannica online for free if they have a library card...

(Note for foreign users: to the best of my knowledge, anyone in the UK is freely entitled to one if they go to their nearest library, and also as far as I know need no proof of anything)

I'm a member of two libraries in the UK. How do I get free access?
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(JohnA @ Sat 8th September 2007, 10:26pm) *

QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Sat 8th September 2007, 9:59pm) *

I'm a member of two libraries in the UK. How do I get free access?

Visit your library website at your council's website. Then you should be able to find a link somewhere to access EB using your library card number.
guy
Warning - everyone who does that will be branded a sockpuppet. Remember all those people convicted of being sockpuppets of Newport because they could all access Encyclopaedia Judaica with their library cards.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(guy @ Sat 8th September 2007, 6:13pm) *

Warning — everyone who does that will be branded a sockpuppet. Remember all those people convicted of being sockpuppets of Newport because they could all access Encyclopaedia Judaica with their library cards.

Warning — anyone found in possession of a library card from anywhere is subject to being ∑arily tried and burned at the stake by WikiPhireChief Jimbo Treehorn.

Jonny cool.gif
D.A.F.
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Sat 8th September 2007, 4:59pm) *

That's very interesting, but can they from home?
jdrand
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sat 8th September 2007, 4:50pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Sat 8th September 2007, 6:13pm) *

Warning — everyone who does that will be branded a sockpuppet. Remember all those people convicted of being sockpuppets of Newport because they could all access Encyclopaedia Judaica with their library cards.

Warning — anyone found in possession of a library card from anywhere is subject to being ∑arily tried and burned at the stake by WikiPhireChief Jimbo Treehorn.

Jonny cool.gif

An offtopic question: What is [i]sumarily?
guy
QUOTE(jdrand @ Sun 9th September 2007, 7:54am) *

An offtopic question: What is [i]sumarily?

summarily - "done without delay or formality; quickly executed"
LamontStormstar
People in the UK also get the benefit of being able to see all the old Doctor Who episodes and even the movie (which never came to DVD in the USA) which Americans like me try to find on Blockbuster Online and they have only 5% of the old Doctor Who episodes. And I don't want to buy each one for $40 online, just rent and watch.
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Sun 9th September 2007, 3:00am) *

QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Sat 8th September 2007, 4:59pm) *

That's very interesting, but can they from home?

Yep - I just did it with a five year old library card from somewhere I don't even live anymore!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.