Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo starts the push to 3,000,000!
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Pages: 1, 2, 3
WhispersOfWisdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...Mzoli%27s_Meats

^ Jimmy Wales has a new restaurant article and I think this is a step toward letting anything and everything in. More of a news source and inclusion of news that is "fit to print."

I actually like the general idea of, "why not?"

Is it not better to have some information than no information? That is the question. I think Jimbo is telling us his opinion with his new article. A Google/WP team approaches, I think.

The article is up for deletion but the consensus is strong toward "Keep." rolleyes.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 7:13pm) *

^ Jimmy Wales has a new restaurant article and I think this is a step toward letting anything and everything in. More of a news source and inclusion of news that is "fit to print."

Is it not better to have some information than no information? That is the question. I think Jimbo is telling us his opinion with his new article. A Google/WP team approaches, I think.

The article is up for deletion but the consensus is strong toward "Keep." rolleyes.gif

When Mr. Wales writes a stub it as stubby as the hair on his chinny chin chin. He never did get around to that promised photograph for the article.
everyking
It's actually quite surprising because Jimbo has been turning pretty strongly towards deletionism in recent years. I wouldn't have thought by this point he'd want Wikipedia to have an article like this, and actually go to the trouble to create it himself (thereby effectively shielding it against deletion). Does anyone know if he has some kind of personal involvement with the restaurant?

But anyway, it's definitely a good thing; even if it doesn't mean Jimbo is moving back towards inclusionism, at least it can be pointed to as an example of a subject with minor, local notability that is endorsed by Jimbo, which could help swing other debates.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 18th September 2007, 7:42pm) *

It's actually quite surprising because Jimbo has been turning pretty strongly towards deletionism in recent years. I wouldn't have thought by this point he'd want Wikipedia to have an article like this, and actually go to the trouble to create it himself (thereby effectively shielding it against deletion). Does anyone know if he has some kind of personal involvement with the restaurant?

But anyway, it's definitely a good thing; even if it doesn't mean Jimbo is moving back towards inclusionism, at least it can be pointed to as an example of a subject with minor, local notability that is endorsed by Jimbo, which could help swing other debates.

Just another exercise in dysfunctional social networking. It means nothing other than encourages further lawlessness. The "keeps" (apart from Everyking who sincerely believes in such inclusion) are sniveling ass kisser seeking ingratiation points.

It won't help a "inclusionism" a bit next time a "more equal" community elite seeks to delete an article and the "keeps" get consensus mugged.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 18th September 2007, 8:42pm) *

I believe this is a very strong political statement, even if not fully subconscious and / or subliminal, that the Jimmy Wales story will help the world gain full employment, end starvation, and help give peace a chance. I say if one family eats and one child is educated because of the publicity to Jimmy's new restaurant, he did a good deed. Now let this be a lesson to all of the deletionists that have taken such a strong hold on the encyclopedia.

In law, we call this a "precedent case." From now on re: notability, WP should use the term, "Jimbo's Meat." (e.g., I vote keep, citing "Jimbo's Meat.")
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 8:07pm) *

I believe this is a very strong political statement, even if not fully subconscious and / or subliminal, that the Jimmy Wales story will help the world gain full employment, end starvation, and help give peace a chance. I say if one family eats and one child is educated because of the publicity to Jimmy's new restaurant, he did a good deed. Now let this be a lesson to all of the deletionists that have taken such a strong hold on the encyclopedia.

In law, we call this a "precedent case." From now on re: notability, WP should use the term, "Jimbo's Meat." (e.g., I vote keep, citing "Jimbo's Meat.")

Your blinded by the the stare decisis in your eyes.
BobbyBombastic
maybe they offered the WMF free catering?

but seriously, how many here think your stub would have a chance of not being speedy deleted if you wrote it like this. watching Jimbo bumble around and do stuff like this is evidence to me that he has no idea what he has created and isn't all that interested in it, at least in the way his devoted "editors" are.
Somey
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Wed 19th September 2007, 12:16am) *
maybe they offered the WMF free catering?

I dunno... we shouldn't underestimate the intelligence of these WMF people. Anyone who's spent any time on the outskirts of Cape Town knows that the local meats are not quite Grade A, if you know what I mean. Ostriches, crocodiles, even certain types of insects... anything goes there meat-wise, apparently. Smart foundation-staffers know that it's best to stick with lentils, wild asparagus, and Indian-style vegetable curries, at least until you reach Johannesburg.
Kato
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 19th September 2007, 6:52am) *

Ostriches, crocodiles, even certain types of insects... anything goes there meat-wise, apparently.

Jimbo lives in Florida. That's his breakfast.
jorge
QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 19th September 2007, 6:55am) *

Ostriches, crocodiles, even certain types of insects... anything goes there meat-wise, apparently.

Do they serve pasta?
thekohser
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 9:13pm) *

I love how Mzoli's Meats is notable and keepable, since it's written by Der Jimbo, but Norman Technologies was not, since it was written by Wikipedia Review.

Oh, Jimbo, you keep us so entertained with your meddling.

Greg
SqueakBox
QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 19th September 2007, 5:55am) *

That is alligators not crocs who live in Florida (saw it on Bear Grills lasty night), Squeak ph34r.gif Box

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Wed 19th September 2007, 1:13am) *

We have such poor coverage of Africa and such bloated coverage of America that one can only assume the person who started this afd was trolling. The Kate tool should let us know how many new articles individuals create, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
^demon
I AFD'd it. Trolling? Not hardly.
Jaranda
Some people should excuse themselves from the project and find a new hobby.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] 19:25, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

Jimbo told me and ^demon to leave the project, I followed his command, I'm gone until I hear an apology from Jimbo
guy
QUOTE(^demon @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:12pm) *

I AFD'd it. Trolling? Not hardly.

Welcome ^demon.
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:23pm) *

Jimbo told me and ^demon to leave the project, I followed his command, I'm gone until I hear an apology from Jimbo

Fair enough.
The Joy
This comment is getting more than a few angry at Jimbo.

It's only going to get more "interesting" from here on out. Put it on your watchlists, those not banned!

Remember, this is the man that insulted and made Zoe leave. Zoe could be rude but she didn't deserve the comment Jimbo gave her!

Anyone that opposes him is against the WikiWay! Or rather his WikiWay.
thekohser
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 4:23pm) *

Some people should excuse themselves from the project and find a new hobby.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] 19:25, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

I could not think of a better thing for Der Jimbo himself to do!

Oh, were it that easy.

Welcome to Wikipedia Review, you guys. As with a handful of others within this community, you probably now have the opinion that Wikipedia itself is a pretty cool idea, if only the boob named Jimbo Wales weren't participating in it. Sincerely, I think his decisions (and the power of his influence) account for 90% of the troubles on Wikipedia.

Greg
Jaranda
I just deleted the page, it was obviously restored, but I got insulted from Jimbo himself, no way I'm coming back to the project.
SqueakBox
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 8:23pm) *

But why delete the article. That was highly disruptive as I was about to add another ref and found you had deleted. Perhaps you owe him an apology first. Admins should be held to high ustandards and it strikes me you abused that authority to make a point and disrupted innocent bystander users in the process, Squeak ph34r.gif Box

QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Wed 19th September 2007, 8:56pm) *

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 8:23pm) *

But why delete the article. That was highly disruptive as I was about to add another ref and found you had deleted. Perhaps you owe him an apology first. Admins should be held to high ustandards and it strikes me you abused that authority to make a point and disrupted innocent bystander users in the process, Squeak ph34r.gif Box

And disruption by an 18 year old US schoolkid at that cached user page. Sigh, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
Jaranda
He should own me an apology, if another editor tells a person to leave the project, they would be blocked. Jimbo told me and ^demon, (and possibly others) two editors who have been admins for over a year to leave the project, literally saying that we aren't wanted here. I been in the project for over two years, wrote hundreds of articles, only to get that treatment here from the founder. I know I "left" many times before, but seriously this is special circumstances.
Unrepentant Vandal
He's never going to apologise.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 3:06pm) *

He should own me an apology, if another editor tells a person to leave the project, they would be blocked. Jimbo told me and ^demon, (and possibly others) two editors who have been admins for over a year to leave the project, literally saying that we aren't wanted here. I been in the project for over two years, wrote hundreds of articles, only to get that treatment here from the founder. I know I "left" many times before, but seriously this is special circumstances.

I hope this is a radicalizing experience for you (both Jaranda and ^demon. ) You know a lot about the project. This knowledge can be put to good use in developing a thorough-going critique of the project. This is really the best way to advance those aspects of the project that attracted you in the first place.

Welcome (back) to WR.
SqueakBox
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:06pm) *

I am not commenting on your and Jimbo's dispute just that your disruptive actions afterwards led to disruption for others and there are much better ways of coping with your frustration (such as posting on WR) or if you need to make a point edit Jimbo user page as that would only make your point to him not the rest of us. I happen to think the deletion was a bad call and demon's initial speedy a terrible call, as I said before we lack coverage of Africa and have a bloated coverage of America and deletionists should surely work to reverse that trend by deleting the many unnotable US articles before going after one of the few articles about African culture that we have, Squeak ph34r.gif Box

QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:17pm) *

Any bets? (and I do agree, and think it unliekly he'll strike his comments either as arbcom clerk newyorkbrad requested, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Wed 19th September 2007, 10:31pm) *

QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:17pm) *

Any bets? (and I do agree, and think it unliekly he'll strike his comments either as arbcom clerk newyorkbrad requested, Squeak ph34r.gif Box

A weasel apology is possible if those with guts go on about it enough, of course. But not a full, unconditional, apology. He can always argue he wasn't aiming it at Jaranda anyway.
Jaranda
I saw his comment on my talk page, he says it wasn't aiming on me, why the "some" people comment, the only people who argrued heavily for deletion was me and ^demon. He should clafify it better, anyways I'm not coming back.
everyking

What did I say during your last admin nom? Do you remember?

Jimbo says and does cruel things all the time. He's treated me like shit on more than one occasion (and much more directly than here). If you need the project founder to be a nice guy, then yeah, you do need to find a new project.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:45pm) *

I saw his comment on my talk page, he says it wasn't aiming on me, why the "some" people comment, the only people who argrued heavily for deletion was me and ^demon. He should clafify it better, anyways I'm not coming back.

Oh for the love of Wikipedia. Jimbo should tell that fella to get a new hobby too. I just imagine this poor soul walking around saying "Oh for the love of Wikipedia" and "Sweet Wikipedia help us" when something goes wrong.

BTW, the title of this thread doesn't seem so far off now. That's Lamont for you though...he's just got an eye for these things!

Derktar
Well I daresay Jimbo does a good job boosting our membership.

I wonder how many more he will push off after this debacle is over.

And poor Scientizzle, his effort to stem the flames from rising is assuredly futile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=159041525
Kato
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 20th September 2007, 5:42am) *

What did I say during your last admin nom? Do you remember?

Jimbo says and does cruel things all the time. He's treated me like shit on more than one occasion (and much more directly than here). If you need the project founder to be a nice guy, then yeah, you do need to find a new project.

Indeed. The guy is just an ignorant oaf. No getting away from it. mad.gif

Jaranda is in good company here.

I'm sharpening my quill for a major lambasting of the man and his attitude which I hope will help me exorcise my own personal loathing. I just wish Der Jimbo - rapidly resembling Duh Jimbo - would excuse himself from the whole damn internet and find a new hobby. We'd all be better off for it.
everyking
QUOTE(Derktar @ Thu 20th September 2007, 5:51am) *

Well I daresay Jimbo does a good job boosting our membership.

I wonder how many more he will push off after this debacle is over.

And poor Scientizzle, his effort to stem the flames from rising is assuredly futile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=159041525

Honestly, if it only bothers the deletionists, Wikipedia may be better off. Many of them destroy more than they create. As it is, though, it looks like it's just Jaranda leaving, and of course he'll come back soon enough, as he always does.

Kelly Martin continues her recent streak of incongruously displaying intelligence and good judgment with her comment to the debate.
Kato
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 20th September 2007, 6:13am) *

Kelly Martin continues her recent streak of incongruously displaying intelligence and good judgment with her comment to the debate.

In support of keeping Der Jimbo's little folly, Martin writes:
Most other stubs about perfectly notable topics will not be saved, not because they shouldn't be in the encyclopedia, but because Wikipedia's community has become so rushed, so immediatist, that it is not willing to allow embryonic articles even a tiny modicum of time to incubate, to become real articles. If Wikipedia had been run in 2003 the way it is today, it would be lucky to have 10,000 articles.

This confuses me. So she's talking about something called an encyclopedia. She then states with apparent horror that this encyclopedia could have had a mere 10,000 articles. She also talks about something she calls notability.

Nope. Completely lost me. Don't see no intelligence or judgement there. Just someone deluded into thinking they were creating a grand body of work worthy of being called an encyclopedia. When in fact, it's some tatty mess, where people are creating whole articles on subjects less "notable" than my morning stools.
FORUM Image

"Can I write an article about you?"
The Joy
Isn't Jimbo's apology more of a non-apology apology? He's not really saying sorry, he's just saying I wasn't referring to you when I said get off the wiki! I mean, he calls demon and Jaranda "immature" here.

I sometimes wonder if Jimbo regrets founding WP and despairs at the way things are. I'm surprised he's back after being away mainly to tend to Wikia. I wonder if this is a test to confirm his own suspicions about where WP has gone in six years? And what if WP has failed his test?

I've only participated in maybe 3 AFDs (2 being Daniel Brandt's) and I've found that I'm not really a deletionist but more of a mergist (or integrationist?) as I don't like information being swept away. However, I usually think that information could be merged or placed into one central article. But if someone can assure me that an article can be well-written and well-sourced without being likely minimized and merged, then I say more power to them and I won't get in their way (I might even help them if they're polite).
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 9:07pm) *

When I was a little kid, I learned a powerful lesson whenever I went to the park for playtime:

The kid with the ball always gets to choose the game. "Because it is my ball!" I would hear.

BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 20th September 2007, 2:20am) *

I sometimes wonder if Jimbo regrets founding WP and despairs at the way things are. I'm surprised he's back after being away mainly to tend to Wikia. I wonder if this is a test to confirm his own suspicions about where WP has gone in six years? And what if WP has failed his test?

If he knew what was going on he would probably regret it. Actually, most people that I know that have ran "big websites" have regretted it, in one form or another. Jimbo builds up a wall to most of this, which is a big reason Wikipedia has existed for so long. If he was engaged and knew what was going on "at the ground level" he would probably be tempted to pull the plug. I welcome the argument that says Jimbo knows what is going on and approves of it, but I think no such thing is happening. Whatever Jimbo, Larry, and the first influential members had in mind is nearly gone and it has been trending that way for quite a while.

Edit:
Moreover, the "find a new hobby" comment is actually a little anachronistic, meaning that it would have just gotten a passing glance in the early days. The patronising pseudo civility is a rather new construct, according to some of the things I have looked at.

Which leads me to my next point: Jaranda and ^demon, you didn't actually think this was an encyclopedia and therefore worthy of your time, did you? It is a lot of things, but a serious project it is not. Jimbo has stated this in a round about way with his comments on that AfD. "Find a new hobby, this really isn't worth your time," is basically what he said. The community would be better off realizing that this is not an encyclopedia, both for their mental health and to clarify what motivates them to be on WP, but the Foundation will never face this fact, due to obvious reasons. Why did you two contribute for so long, only to be told be the sole flounder you should find a new hobby?
Jaranda
I just read jimbo comment, I'm asking for desyropping, purging my password to random letters, and disabling email. I told a couple of people in IRC that I may be back, as I was just upset, but after his comment, fuck that. Bye Jimbo, nice seing you.
Jaranda
Note I'm also going to be more active here.
anthony
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 20th September 2007, 6:20am) *

I sometimes wonder if Jimbo regrets founding WP and despairs at the way things are.

Probably. According to Alex, the lawyer who helped Jimmy write the initial bylaws, he has said that he regrets turning Wikipedia into a non-profit instead of keeping it as a for-profit.

Of course, I kind of have to agree with him that that was a big mistake.

I'm surprised he's back after being away mainly to tend to Wikia. I wonder if this is a test to confirm his own suspicions about where WP has gone in six years? And what if WP has failed his test?

I suspect some big changes are coming to Wikipedia pretty soon, and they're going to need a strong push from Jimbo to gain acceptance. Namely, some sort of "stable versions" feature is forthcoming. I haven't been able to check it out yet. Depending on the implementation it could be a good thing or a really bad thing. Maybe the "good thing" part is wishful thinking, though. As long as certain admins stay in power I'm sure they'll find a way to ensure that their screwed up version of history remains the only accepted one.

I've only participated in maybe 3 AFDs (2 being Daniel Brandt's) and I've found that I'm not really a deletionist but more of a mergist (or integrationist?) as I don't like information being swept away. However, I usually think that information could be merged or placed into one central article.

Personally I think there's too much merging in Wikipedia already. What's wrong with a five to ten line article?

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 20th September 2007, 5:17pm) *

I just read jimbo comment, I'm asking for desyropping, purging my password to random letters, and disabling email.

Nah, don't do that. Just PM your password to me. smile.gif
Emperor
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 3:23pm) *

Welcome! ^demon revolting against the god-king... we need some of our creative writers to address this, i.e. when we get 1/3 we go back and make war.

The funny thing to me is, Jimbo looks good to me when he contributes. At least he's pitching in and generating some content. If he had just started the article and walked away without saying anything rude, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. Also seeing him get some of the same aggravation that an anonymous nobody would get is nice to see.

I don't know you two, but as a general statement what he said about people finding new hobbies is 100% true. Maybe he's thinking about doing something to reduce the MMORPGing that's been disrupting the project and driving so many people away.

Maybe he's listening, or he's spot-checked the contribs of some of his heavy-players and realized that they are essentially deleting more useful content than they are generating.

The problem for Jimbo is that he's discovered firsthand that it's way way harder to create content than it used to be. Without new content, his site does not thrive, and this is worrying him.

Anyway I applaud ^demon and Jaranda for standing up for their principles. It's nice to see that even the admins play by the rules sometimes.
Jaranda
Reading though some of the comments said about me in wikipedia, Now I'm being treated like I'm a bad banned troll, just for one deletion that I did that I don't regret at all.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 20th September 2007, 9:20pm) *

Reading though some of the comments said about me in wikipedia, Now I'm being treated like I'm a bad banned troll, just for one deletion that I did that I don't regret at all.

Of course you only did what was clearly right according to what they pretend to be the rules. But underneath those rules is an ugly social networking environment based only on status and power. You have ran rather seriously afoul of this other order.
Jaranda
I'm been thinking about writing book about wikipedia for a while. After the incident that happened, I'll likely write one.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 4:23pm) *

Some people should excuse themselves from the project and find a new hobby. [[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] 19:25, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

Jimbo told me and ^demon to leave the project, I followed his command, I'm gone until I hear an apology from Jimbo.

Take a number and sit down.

And say Hello, Larry! for us.

Jonny cool.gif
Derktar
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 20th September 2007, 8:39pm) *

I'm been thinking about writing book about wikipedia for a while. After the incident that happened, I'll likely write one.

Hell, I'm sure most of us would love to help edit, proofread it, and collect evidence for you. Oh and get Jonny to write the forward and throw some cache-isms throughout and you got yourself a bestseller there.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Derktar @ Thu 20th September 2007, 9:51pm) *

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 20th September 2007, 8:39pm) *

Hell, I'm sure most of us would love to help edit, proofread it, and collect evidence for you. Oh and get Jonny to write the forward and throw some cache-isms throughout and you got yourself a bestseller there.

Don't forget the chapter on Handles, Scandals and Vandals.
Jaranda
Yea I'm likely the best candidate to write a book about the site, as I was long-respected, long-standing admin until yesterday and know everything you need to know about the site. A current admin, with the exception of a couple users (like JzG) is too bias for wikipedia to write a book, while most of you guys made too much enemies, or don't know as much as I do, and several are way too bias against the site.
Derktar
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 20th September 2007, 8:59pm) *

Don't forget the chapter on Handles, Scandals and Vandals.

Very catchy!
Kato
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Fri 21st September 2007, 5:01am) *

Yea I'm likely the best candidate to write a book about the site, as I was long-respected, long-standing admin until yesterday and know everything you need to know about the site. A current admin, with the exception of a couple users (like JzG) is too bias for wikipedia to write a book, while most of you guys made too much enemies, or don't know as much as I do, and several are way too bias against the site.

Whoaaah. Hold yer horses J-man. Best man to write a book?

Bah!

I was so deep into that thing that when I came up for air one time, my head popped out of Jimbo's toilet bowl.

I'm opting for a book of short stories about WP, Conan Doyle style, each recounting a different strange case that unfolded. I made no real enemies there, at least not publicly, and my pipe and deerstalker proved the perfect disguise.

I'll race yer to the publishers, Doctor Watson.

Somey
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 20th September 2007, 10:39pm) *

Novel or fact-based exposé? I hope you get further than I did!

I got about a third of the way through a sort of alternate-universe novel-like thingy, which I fancied as a sort of David Sedaris-meets-Clive Barker sort of affair, or maybe a little like some of the early Jonathan Lethem novels. But I'm not that talented, I discovered. I got bogged down in minutiae and the inner thoughts of minor characters... and the sex lives too, of course. You've got to avoid the sex lives.
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 20th September 2007, 9:40pm) *

and the sex lives too, of course. You've got to avoid the sex lives.

So no sordid stories of what happens at WikiMania, stays at WikiMania? I'm sure that more than one Wiki-liaison occurred there.
Jaranda
I don't think a wikipedia nobel is a good idea, doesn't tell anything about the site.

I prefer to write a dummies book, I offered already.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.