Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paid to edit?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
LamontStormstar
I think we should start gathering some real solid evidence that people are being paid to edit.

One place to look is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...ris&namespace=3

See where Samiharris (Gary Weiss sock) first talks to Jayjg. They act like Jayjg knows Samiharris as an old friend, even though Samiharris is a new account. Perhaps Jayjg checkusered Samiharris, saw he was from Gary Weiss's IP, and then treated him as his old friend Gary Weiss. Or maybe Gary Weiss used a different IP range and just told Jayjg in email.

Then there's how WordBomb mailed complaints to SlimVirgin about Gary Weiss and she instead of reading them, forwarded then to Gary Weiss and then she lied about it.

In short, if we can get some good evidence that Wikipedia Administrators are being paid to edit, this be very good.

Jonny Cache
All Elaborate Gas Aside, do you honestly think anyone really cares?

Jonny cool.gif
Rochelle
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 24th September 2007, 5:42pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

Well it would be kind of interesting if they were.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 24th September 2007, 2:42pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

If it was an influential admin (e.g. SlimVirgin, Raul) or someone with power like oversight, checkuser, or on the board of directors then it would hit the media and create a scandal and it would then hurt donations to Wikipedia.
jorge
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 24th September 2007, 10:49pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 24th September 2007, 2:42pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

If it was an influential admin (e.g. SlimVirgin, Raul) or someone with power like oversight, checkuser, or on the board of directors then it would hit the media and create a scandal and it would then hurt donations to Wikipedia.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the paid to edit thing as I don't think anyone has found any evidence of that. We should work on what we can see with our own eyes which is that there are people who work in groups on Wikipedia to push certain POVs.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 24th September 2007, 3:35pm) *

I wouldn't get too hung up on the paid to edit thing as I don't think anyone has found any evidence of that. We should work on what we can see with our own eyes which is that there are people who work in groups on Wikipedia to push certain POVs.

Well as for POVs, there's Gary Weiss who is allowed to have tons of sock puppets and use them to edit war to go around using wikipedia to promote illegal, criminal activity: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=159876371
Piperdown
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Mon 24th September 2007, 10:48pm) *

QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 24th September 2007, 3:35pm) *

Well as for POVs, there's Gary Weiss who is allowed to have tons of sock puppets and use them to edit war to go around using wikipedia to promote illegal, criminal activity: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=159876371

Um, while you are enthusiastic, Lamont, and you have the bestest avatar ever ("yeah, we're gonna need you to come in on Saturday, m'kay?" - if you could get the shot of Lundbergh throwing the leg with coffee cup in hand from that dream sequence, that would be even better), you have some catching up to do with Dudley DoRight Moreland.

1) GW (called "lilGW" by Patrick Byrne and others on the net just to piss him off) is an old friend/Colleague of one Herbert Greenberg. Herbert and Patrick are staring down the barrel of an affidavit that Byrne is wielding in court. Lil'GW is first and foremost acting on behalf of Herbert in his online jihad (blog, WP, yahoo stock boards, etc). That is his #1 motivation

2) Lil GW is a Nortwestern U grad. Chi-town. Practically frat buddies with one Marc Cohodes, one of the collateral damage targets of Byrne's Jihad. This WildCat brother is also a longtime #1 source of Herbert. Marc's portfolio (almost all short) is the scorecard for Herbert's lifes' work. Look it up. SEC filings vs. articles. Not a co-inky-winky-dink.

3) Lil GW never worked for The Street.com, but Herbert, Jimmy Cramer, and David Rocker (ah-ha! Cohodes again!) did. They're tight. Very tight.

How did I learn all this? As a sock puppet for a WordBomb? As a meat puppet for Byrne? No. After some asshole and his sock bullied me off of the Naked short selling, I googled his username. Voila. There's a lot more.

And I really doubt WP gives a shit about Overstock stock or Byrne. Until they circled the wagons for Linda and Lil'GW. Wagon circle jerk. Hivemind classic.

Although.....jimmy wales did earn his bankroll on the Chicago Exchange, and one of Wiki's big Diki's is still there. And the Chicago Exchange hates Patrick Byrne and his lawyers. His lawyers once beat El Tabacco Grande. The only ones ever. And the Chitown boys are under their legal crosshairs too.

That brings us full circle on your technically false assertion that Nekkid shorting is ilegal. It ain't always. See, the Chitown boys (and any other market makers) can short stocks with a market makers' exemption, without locating the shares first. That makes it nekkied. Sammy Moreland knows this, because their script writers do it for a living. "They" are technically right in the WP naked shorting article on that point.

now I actually dont think samiharris=mantanmoreland. In my experience getting tag teamed (that's a nice way of saying wikimugged) by these 2 wikipillars of hypocrisy, I noticed that sami is batshit insane. And probably posting from Northwestern University (an IP edit timed right before his was from there). Sami also displayed some in-depth knowledge of 1980's Chicago Excahnge history. I say Samiharris is an old friend of Lil'GW's from Chitown. Works or worked on the exchange and teaches at NW. From whence he knows Lil GW from way back. That's my theory. Wordbomb's the expert though, and has said here he thinks sami does equal mantan. Could be right, but I got different vibes from those 2. How they get away with the crap they do without anyone else on WP calling them on it is just a-mazing. pride goeth before the wikifall.

But lil'GW is supporting a really amazingly brazen (and not publically voiced by many outside of the industry) leap of stupidity he takes in his book and in his 2003 business week article, the booolsh*t assertion that NSS'ing is the best way to vigilante justice the market to aid a weak SEC. Herbert also toes that party line that his Wisdom of Marc's Short Portfolio weekly "columns" also help the poor lil ol SEC do its job.

For an example, check out my article on WP, Anthony Elgindy. Notice how none of lil GW's sock army would touch that article. Why? Hmm. Lil GW used "Anthony@Pacific" Elgindy as a source. He even lamented the final downfall of Anthony (not the first two times Anthony got busted and jailed, that just gave him cred!).

No one else, save Rocker's own Copper River, wanted to touch the David Rocker bio, authored once again by yours truly. After my losing my wikicherry in March to SamiMoreland's Clockwork Orange act, I did oogles of googles and was amazed at the tangled web that has been weaved, and it took me all of a day or two of googling to go down the labyrinth. Fascinating stuff. The Byrne Affair will unfold as one of the great scandals of the ages, and i think it will open a San Andreas Fault right down wall street.

Thar's gold in them thar naked short hills. Billions. They ain't going down easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.