Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid statement by Mitt Romney
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Daniel Brandt
Associated Press, 2007-09-24:
During the town-hall meeting, Romney played to the Silicon Valley crowd, some of whom work at nearby Google, Cisco Systems and Apple Inc.

At one point, the former Massachusetts governor spoke of his effort to provide every sixth-grader and beyond with an inexpensive laptop.

"I want our kids to know how to Google and Yahoo and everything else, so that when they do a report on George Washington, they don't have to go to the encyclopedia but they can go to Wikipedia and they can learn what's happening on an online basis as kids around the world are doing," he said.

The remark brought chuckles from the crowd, since Wikipedia has been criticized for the accuracy of some of the public contributions to its information-sharing Web site.

"Daddy, daddy, I found George Washington on Wikipedia!"

George Washingtion on Wikipedia, as reported by Google, 2007-05-16:
FORUM Image

Jonny Cache
Pretty Φunny, but maybe in the interests of avoiding n00blear proliferation we should have a generic "St00pid Statement By ____" thread.

Jonny cool.gif
Joseph100
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 24th September 2007, 11:07pm) *

Pretty Φunny, but maybe in the interests of avoiding n00blear proliferation we should have a generic "St00pid Statement By ____" thread.

Jonny cool.gif

Was the stick made of cherry wood?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Joseph100 @ Tue 25th September 2007, 1:18am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 24th September 2007, 11:07pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

Was the stick made of cherry wood?

Not sure, but they did have a lot virgin forest back then.

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Tue 25th September 2007, 1:01am) *

Associated Press, 2007-09-24:

During the town-hall meeting, Romney played to the Silicon Valley crowd, some of whom work at nearby Google, Cisco Systems, and Apple Inc.

At one point, the former Massachusetts governor spoke of his effort to provide every sixth-grader and beyond with an inexpensive laptop.

"I want our kids to know how to Google and Yahoo and everything else, so that when they do a report on George Washington, they don't have to go to the encyclopedia but they can go to Wikipedia and they can learn what's happening on an online basis as kids around the world are doing", he said.

The remark brought chuckles from the crowd, since Wikipedia has been criticized for the accuracy of some of the public contributions to its information-sharing Web site.

I'm guessing that Mitt (¬2b≈ MIT) Romney will get better educated about Wikipedia PDQ when the usual Boys In The Hall start Going to Town on his BiosFear.

Jonny cool.gif
Daniel Brandt
Romney's campaign doesn't monitor Wikipedia:
Other campaigns, including Clinton's and Romney's, said they do not monitor their pages.

So it won't bother Romney that I installed the AP quotation that starts this thread, and the screen shot, as part of the cartoon rotation at Scroogle. (Keep refreshing that page, and it will eventually show up.) It will be seen by something like a thousand people per day.
Kato
This story really did the rounds. And each time it showed up, it ran with that great line:
Give it a year and those won't be chuckles, it'll be like this...
FORUM Image
WhispersOfWisdom
The irony is that Apple is already making sure all the sixth graders get computers. They do not need the jerks in Washington to do what they have been doing for 20 years. My daughter received her Apple laptop this year; she is in 6th grade. The kids are not allowed to use Wikipedia and they cannot get on any of the social sites. biggrin.gif

Edit: all of the 6th graders received the same computers...Apple laptops.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.