Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edwyn Collins dies
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Kato
I regretfully announce that Edwyn Collins, the critically acclaimed Scottish musician most famous for singing "Rip it up" and "A Girl Like You", who suffered a major cerebral haemorrhage in 2005, died on the 26th September 2007.
FORUM Image

1959 - 2007

Oh, hang on. Apparently he didn't, or perhaps he did and came back to life the following day. I don't know what is true anymore. Just as well wikipedia's biography of Collins is only second on a google search of his name, eh. His 7th LP has just been released this month for anyone who likes that type of thing. I don't particularly, by the way.
FORUM Image

1959 -
guy
Alas, that sort of vandalism is not uncommon.
Kato
QUOTE(guy @ Fri 28th September 2007, 8:00am) *

Alas, that sort of vandalism is not uncommon.

Yes, the case of "Sinbad", who had his death declared, has already been covered on this forum.

The problem is, people dismiss this kind of thing on WP all the time as mere vandalism. "Oh, it's just some vandal", "it was cleaned up the next day", "big deal".

Sorry, but that just ain't good enough. Especially not when it applies to a biography.

I've got a real horror story about a repeatedly proclaimed death on WP that makes me too mad to divulge in detail - involving a front page WP news story linking to a bio that they refused to protect - me howling relentlessly before they idiotically protected the "wrong version" - with all manner of potential implications in the real world. This wasn't a lesser known figure like Collins either. Far, far from it. When I complained again on the admins noticeboard I was told by patronising damn-fool-admins to "relax" and that I was "too precious about the article!" - "This kind of thing happens, it's a wiki, maaaan". And it sat at the top of the google search announcing the subject's false demise all the while. Shameful irresponsibility. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Another story to go into the book:
FORUM Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.