Full Version: Good Sock Hunting
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
LamontStormstar
A wikipedian is debating whether someone named Sockpuppeto is a sock puppet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm..._User:Kaoruchan

User:Sockpuppeto & User:Kaoruchan
We may have a new sockpuppeteer.

[1] & [2]
User:Sockpuppeto had made similar edits on Dick Cheney and Condoleeza Rice then User:Kaoruchan during his block. Kaoruchan was blocked inserting inappropriate images and then 12 hours later may have evaded his block while creatin User:Sockpuppeto who has been blocked indefinitely for suspected sockpuppetry and similar vandalism to Dick Cheney and Condoleeza Rice.

Although looking at the Karouchan contributions I may suspect also that this account may have been compromised by another person and thus later himself may have created the block evasion accountJForget 17:29, 29 September 2007 (UTC).

PS: Mods feel free to make a better title
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sun 30th September 2007, 1:04am) *

PS: Mods feel free to make a better title

The present title seems pretty good to me.
Somey
I'm down with it...

It's a common enough thing that when someone feels like he or she has been blocked unfairly, he'll make a sock puppet account with a name that clearly states what he/she is doing. It's a form of defiance, actually - as in, "you can't stop me and you know it."

Having said that, it does look like someone got ahold of User:Kaoruchan's account somehow, and after 9 months of total inactivity, that account suddenly started editing articles about right-wing political and media figures yesterday, in a way that might be considered by some to be "vandalism" - for example, replacing the top-section image of the Ann_Coulter article with an engraving of the Medusa. And, of course, this and this, too...

These edits were presumably made in the interest of greater pictorial accuracy, but as we all know, Wikipedia is not so interested in this whole "accuracy thing."
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 30th September 2007, 8:08am) *

Having said that, it does look like someone got ahold of User:Kaoruchan's account somehow, and after 9 months of total inactivity, that account suddenly started editing articles about right-wing political and media figures yesterday, in a way that might be considered by some to be "vandalism" - for example, replacing the top-section image of the Ann_Coulter article with an engraving of the Medusa.

That's quite clever! The other two are too predictable. But the Medusa one should be added to that old thread we have socked away(!) that lists cases of amusing vandalism.
Derktar
From User:Kaoruchan's talk page
Looking at your contributions I may suspect also that your account may have been compromised by someone else. Make sure, when your block will be expired to prevent any of this to happen. One suggestion is to change your password for a more stronger one so to prevent someone of easily accessing to your account and make vandalism not to mention also to log out after you are done. JForget 17:34, 29 September 2007 (UTC)
Kato
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 30th September 2007, 4:19pm) *

That's quite clever! The other two are too predictable. But the Medusa one should be added to that old thread we have socked away(!) that lists cases of amusing vandalism.

Add to that this talk page comment from User:Thafadi Adahabou that tickled my funnybone:

== Trolls; watch this: ==
Any troll that will vandalise this page, is a bad person. I will watch the IP-adresses of those trolls, and than I will go and seek them. When I find them (and I '''will''' find them), I shall kill them. [[User:Thafadi Adahabou]] 09:58, 22 September 2007 (UTC)
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 30th September 2007, 9:08am) *

I'm down with it...

It's a common enough thing that when someone feels like he or she has been blocked unfairly, he'll make a sock puppet account with a name that clearly states what he/she is doing. It's a form of defiance, actually - as in, "you can't stop me and you know it."

WP ought to take a page from Scrabble. You know how you lose points if you challenge a word and it turns out to be a word. If an admin challenges a user as a sockpuppet of one user and it can be proved they are actually not the admin should be desyopped, or maybe just put on "sock probation" for awhile.

A new strategy would develop. I create a sock account intending to look like User:Innocent. User:Innocent gets accused by Admin:SockBuster. I then lay down the sacrifice and clearly indicate on my userpage that I am the sock and Innocent is innocent. SockBuster loses points. Oh wait that isn't a new game is it. The score keeping is just dishonest.

Or of course WP could simply disallow pseudonymous editing.
guy
Any troll that will vandalise this page, is a bad person. I will watch the IP-adresses of those trolls, and than I will go and seek them. When I find them (and I '''will''' find them), I shall kill them. [[User:Thafadi Adahabou]] 09:58, 22 September 2007 (UTC)

So you can be banned for making a legal threat, but not for threatening to murder people?
Piperdown
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 30th September 2007, 5:16pm) *

So you can be banned for making a legal threat, but not for threatening to murder people?

I think Qadaffi was trying to make a funny, not a literal.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 30th September 2007, 1:16pm) *

Any troll that will vandalise this page, is a bad person. I will watch the IP-adresses of those trolls, and than I will go and seek them. When I find them (and I will find them), I shall kill them. [[User:Thafadi Adahabou]] 09:58, 22 September 2007 (UTC)

Maybe's he's taking that Difficult Blocks bit a bit too far …

Jonny cool.gif
guy
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 30th September 2007, 6:18pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Sun 30th September 2007, 5:16pm) *

I think Qadaffi was trying to make a funny, not a literal.

I don't think that's a defence against a WP:NLT block.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.