Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Blake
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
I hear a lot about how Wikipedia is poorly written. I hadn't really prioritized that problem, until today. This is a fine example of horrible writing skills in what ought to be a highly-visible article (about the second-ranked American tennis player):

Literary Success and Controversy over racial Ambivalence (what?)

On July 3, 2007, Blake's book, "Breaking Back: How I Lost Everything and Won Back My Life" was released and debuted at #22 on (the?) New York Times bestseller list. His book discusses his comeback after his unlucky 2004 season. However, African American critic Toure (who is Toure? Maybe a wikilink to Touré would help) criticized the memoir in the New York Times book review (they must mean The New York Times Book Review) for ignoring the issue of racism in tennis. Toure highlights the 2001 US OPEN (interesting use of ALL CAPS, with no helpful wikilink) incident with white Australian tennis pro Lleyton Hewitt as a part of Blake's life that should of ("should of"? Really?) been explored in more detail in the memoir. Hewitt humiliated Blake by claiming a black linesman cheated for Blake due to his skin color. Toure viewpoint ("Toure viewpoint"? Maybe try "Touré's viewpoint", but the accent mark and apostrophe might be too challenging for the typical Wikipediot.) is Blake has psychological issues with success and his heritage (Wow, Toure/Touré is apparently an expert on the psyche of James Blake -- I'm glad Wikipedia is giving his theory so much space in the "Literary Success and Controversy over racial Ambivalence" section of the article!) and this is the reason he is afraid to become a tennis champion. ("Afraid to become a tennis champion"? Yeah, being ranked 6th in the world suggests a crippling psychological fear.) Blake is 1-10 in five set matches (Pity that Blake has put away so many opponents, needing only 2 or 3 sets to do so) he has the worst five set record ever for a top 10 male tennis player. [5](Fascinating run-on sentence)

This is just awful, awful, sixth- or seventh-grade-level writing, on both grammatical and editorial levels. If this paragraph is any indication, Wikipedia truly is a sloppy and irresponsible encyclopedia product.

P.S. Apparently, I was finishing my degree at Emory University the same year Touré matriculated as a Freshman.

P.P.S. There is no mention of Touré's theory about James Blake in Touré's Wikipedia article.

Greg
BobbyBombastic
I'm not the best writer, but prose like that makes my stomach hurt. For some reason it really depresses me. sad.gif The only thing more irritating than prose like this is trying to correct it and watching it get reverted. Which, in my experience, happens quite a bit.

I don't know if the majority of articles are written like this, but a good many are. Clicking random, more often than not, brings up a poorly written article. Sometimes it is obvious that the writer's first language is not English and those are not that hard to correct. The hard ones not only have bad writing, but are also arranged in no logical order. Making sense of disjointed thought and turning it into (at least) decent writing is impossible unless you have an understanding of the subject matter.

But like I said before, correcting this prose is not the hard part, the hard part is actually getting the better written version to remain! I've seen this happen with copy editors on Wikipedia, and I have no idea why or how they keep it up. In my opinion, this goes back to the whole "dysfunctional community" thing, when droves of incoherent trivia is preferred over legible prose.

Now that I think about it, Wikipedia was sort of founded on incoherent and random trivia, wasn't it? biggrin.gif
thekohser
Now that I read Touré's actual book review in the NY Times, I am even more convinced of how Wikipedia can botch, distort, and twist the actual truth, so that it becomes a more emotional, raw, and provocative untruth.

I hope some thoughtful Wikipedia Reviewers will take the time to read the book review. Do you come away with anything near the racial conflict that the Wikipedia article portrays? From Wikipedia, I would have thought that Touré had thoroughly chastised James Blake for "ignoring the issue of racism in tennis". From reading Touré's own essay, I get nothing of the sort.

My colleagues here have been saying it over and over again, and I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't paying close enough attention. But I am honestly beginning to see how Wikipedia can distort the truth in such harmful ways. This paragraph from the James Blake article is complete garbage.

Greg
Nya
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 3rd October 2007, 10:16am) *

I hear a lot about how Wikipedia is poorly written. I hadn't really prioritized that problem, until today. This is a fine example of horrible writing skills in what ought to be a highly-visible article (about the second-ranked American tennis player):

Literary Success and Controversy over racial Ambivalence (what?)

On July 3, 2007, Blake's book, "Breaking Back: How I Lost Everything and Won Back My Life" was released and debuted at #22 on (the?) New York Times bestseller list. His book discusses his comeback after his unlucky 2004 season. However, African American critic Toure (who is Toure? Maybe a wikilink to Touré would help) criticized the memoir in the New York Times book review (they must mean The New York Times Book Review) for ignoring the issue of racism in tennis. Toure highlights the 2001 US OPEN (interesting use of ALL CAPS, with no helpful wikilink) incident with white Australian tennis pro Lleyton Hewitt as a part of Blake's life that should of ("should of"? Really?) been explored in more detail in the memoir. Hewitt humiliated Blake by claiming a black linesman cheated for Blake due to his skin color. Toure viewpoint ("Toure viewpoint"? Maybe try "Touré's viewpoint", but the accent mark and apostrophe might be too challenging for the typical Wikipediot.) is Blake has psychological issues with success and his heritage (Wow, Toure/Touré is apparently an expert on the psyche of James Blake -- I'm glad Wikipedia is giving his theory so much space in the "Literary Success and Controversy over racial Ambivalence" section of the article!) and this is the reason he is afraid to become a tennis champion. ("Afraid to become a tennis champion"? Yeah, being ranked 6th in the world suggests a crippling psychological fear.) Blake is 1-10 in five set matches (Pity that Blake has put away so many opponents, needing only 2 or 3 sets to do so) he has the worst five set record ever for a top 10 male tennis player. [5](Fascinating run-on sentence)

This is just awful, awful, sixth- or seventh-grade-level writing, on both grammatical and editorial levels. If this paragraph is any indication, Wikipedia truly is a sloppy and irresponsible encyclopedia product.

P.S. Apparently, I was finishing my degree at Emory University the same year Touré matriculated as a Freshman.

P.P.S. There is no mention of Touré's theory about James Blake in Touré's Wikipedia article.

Greg

Interestingly, that's even after an attempt to clean it up somewhat - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=156165600. It used to say "NY TIMES book review", for example. Who writes like that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.