Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another example of admin idiocy
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
KamrynMatika
On 1st October User:R.fiend blocked Ed Poor (a guy that used to contribute pretty heavily back in the early days of WP, but doesn't edit now) for 48 hours for no reason whatsoever (link).

And his response when queried?
Hmmm. Looks like a mistake. Oh well. No harm done. R. fiend 16:34, 3 October 2007 (UTC)

Yes, he 'accidentally' blocked the guy for 48 hours, didn't rectify it, and conveniently isn't responding to questioning on his talk page:
That's an odd mistake to make... so you meant to block another user then? Which user? --Jeffrey O. Gustafson - Shazaam! - <*> 17:59, 3 October 2007 (UTC)

Strangely enough, on the day he blocked Ed Poor he only made 4 edits, which were completely unrelated. It's not as if he was blocking vandals and went for the wrong person. Perhaps he decided to do it on a whim and thought nobody would notice. Reminds me of the case a few weeks ago where Ryulong blocked a random admin for not 'editing the encyclopedia constructively'. In both these cases the block has been lifted because the victim was fairly well known - but how many people get blocked randomly and don't have it lifted, because they don't edit much or aren't involved in wikipolitics?
Usually when admins block random long-standing contributors people assume that they're a compromised account and get them desysopped. But it seems like guys like R.Fiend and Ryulong are allowed to make incredibly obviously retarded blocks and it raises barely a murmur of dissent.

As a semi-interesting aside, my favourite admin ElinorD engaged in wheelwarring to protect this guy way back (linky). So I guess he's in with the 'cabal' (or whatever you would like to call it). Figures.
Derktar
The only link I can find is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:R._fiend...edia_comparison

Ed Poor is a sysop and pretty big contributor on Conservapedia now, why he blocked Ed Poor I still have no idea though.
KamrynMatika
QUOTE(Derktar @ Sat 6th October 2007, 9:26pm) *

The only link I can find is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:R._fiend...edia_comparison

Ed Poor is a sysop and pretty big contributor on Conservapedia now, why he blocked Ed Poor I still have no idea though.

You know for a minute there I confused Conservapedia with Citizendium. D'oh!

Well I think that's a pretty clear link - perhaps Ed Poor said something on CP that bothered him and he felt like making a (childish & spiteful) retaliation in the only place he has power? I don't know. It doesn't really matter what his personal reasons are - the fact that he does this and is still an admin is all that needs to be said.
Kato
Ed Poor was also a "contributor" -- for want of a better word -- on Citizendium, hence single handedly reducing the fledging credibility of that site to nil before it had even got off the ground. If I was an administrator of any site, I'd ban Ed Poor on the spot. In fact, if I bumped into him in the real world, I'd be seeking a restraining order. The guy is an absolute pain in the arse and a ludicrous meddler.

Of course the blocking was bogus, no doubt due to some conservapedia spat, but in this case the crooked admin has my heartfelt sympathies. dry.gif
LamontStormstar
Ed Poor used to block people on Wikipedia for no reason whatsoever.

No coincidence the people who go to his defense are WJBscribe and Jeffrey_O._Gustafson.

I'm not sure if Ed Poor blocked anyone on conservapedia recently who was R. Fiend

19:13, 1 October 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "StevenM (contribs)" with an expiry time of 2 hours (newbie hijinx)
08:49, 1 October 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Jenkins (contribs)" with an expiry time of 1 week (lying on talk page)
10:03, 28 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) unblocked Order (contribs) (email)
15:07, 27 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Order (contribs)" with an expiry time of 3 days (personal attack in debate)
16:33, 26 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Jenkins (contribs)" with an expiry time of 2 hours (2nd personal attack: "pretend")
14:16, 26 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Notabtard (contribs)" with an expiry time of 2 hours (Need a writing plan)
14:14, 26 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Das (contribs)" with an expiry time of infinite
13:54, 26 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Jenkins (contribs)" with an expiry time of 2 hours (using appeal to emotion fallacy on a talk page)
13:41, 26 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "Graham (contribs)" with an expiry time of 1 day (personal attack)
19:21, 25 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "FukConservative (contribs)" with an expiry time of infinite
19:20, 25 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "ConservativeIsAGirl (contribs)" with an expiry time of infinite
11:17, 19 September 2007 Ed Poor (Talk | contribs) blocked "JayW (contribs)" with an expiry time of infinite

Ed Poor is not sysop on Citizendium
blissyu2
Where are you quoting from LamontStormStar?

I never personally saw much of Ed Poor. I leapt to his defence as a presumably unfair desysopping, only to have many people here say that it was quite legitimate and should have gone further. I guess I will trust the judgement of others. Personally I have no firm opinion on it.
everyking
Ed Poor always seemed like a nice guy to me, albeit a guy with ridiculous far-right viewpoints (he's a Moonie). You could compromise with him, in my experience, and he didn't seem to hold grudges. R. fiend, on the other hand, is a complete jackass. I haven't come across him in a long time, but he was viciously uncivil and was the kind of deletionist who thinks Britannica is way too inclusive, and everything worth saying about the world could be fit into a small pamphlet. I don't believe for a minute this block was a "mistake".
SqueakBox
QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 7th October 2007, 4:51am) *

Ed Poor always seemed like a nice guy to me, albeit a guy with ridiculous far-right viewpoints (he's a Moonie). You could compromise with him, in my experience, and he didn't seem to hold grudges. R. fiend, on the other hand, is a complete jackass. I haven't come across him in a long time, but he was viciously uncivil and was the kind of deletionist who thinks Britannica is way too inclusive, and everything worth saying about the world could be fit into a small pamphlet. I don't believe for a minute this block was a "mistake".

I dont know fiend but I would fully agree with Everyking re Ed Poor, perhaps a bit odd but always nice and polite, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
blissyu2
A "Moonie"? Someone who believes that nobody really landed on the moon?
Kato
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sun 7th October 2007, 8:29am) *

A "Moonie"? Someone who believes that nobody really landed on the moon?

Just in case you weren't joking, no. They are followers of the strange movement founded by Reverend Moon. The movement is generally considered to be an absurd international cult. But this being wikipedia, his article is very deferential and at no point uses the word "cult", I suspect because his political goals suit the aims of certain people. And, of course, he is protected by the weird aura that is given to the "religious", who have carte blanche to spout any old nonsense they like. See the Mormon articles for instance.

Based on WP's tortured verifiability procedures, if anyone here wants to write that Moon is the leader of a cult, repeatedly on numerous articles, then they should be welcome to do so using the copious amounts of established sources available. But see how far you get before shadowy figures step in, revert and direct you away. On other topics, you can say what you like providing some two-bit journalist said it first.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sat 6th October 2007, 4:07pm) *

Where are you quoting from LamontStormStar?

Citizendium blog log of blocks by Ed Poor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.