Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WP:CSN up for deletion!
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
Read all about it!

My favorite comment is :

Ban - I vote to ban it. WilyD 03:43, 6 October 2007 (UTC)

RfA was also nominated for deletion, but was speedily kept and refered to this RfC....

So, who gets to be Robespierre and when do they set the guillotine up for Jimbo and then Angela???

SqueakBox
Lets hope this time it falls, this is the most trollish page on wikipedia, Squeak sad.gif Box
guy
What, WP:CSI or WP:RfA? Neither is exactly a source of brotherly (or sisterly) love and harmony.
michael
CSI? CSN! I thought this was going to be about something like the Counter Vandalism Unit, or the Long-term abuse page, not the CSN.
Kato
QUOTE(michael @ Mon 8th October 2007, 12:38am) *

CSI? CSN! I thought this was going to be about something like the Counter Vandalism Unit, or the Long-term abuse page, not the CSN.

Title changed from WP:CSI to WP:CSN
The Joy
QUOTE(michael @ Sun 7th October 2007, 7:38pm) *

CSI: Wikipedia? Boy, CBS is starting to grasp at straws!

I have a feeling it will be kept, asked that reforms be done, and nobody does anything about it. We'll be back on this topic again in a few months and repeat.

Discussion leads to more discussion about nothing being done. That's how RFC's and MFDs like this one always turn out.
KamrynMatika
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 8th October 2007, 12:47am) *

QUOTE(michael @ Sun 7th October 2007, 7:38pm) *

CSI: Wikipedia? Boy, CBS is starting to grasp at straws!

I have a feeling it will be kept, asked that reforms be done, and nobody does anything about it. We'll be back on this topic again in a few months and repeat.

Discussion leads to more discussion about nothing being done. That's how RFC's and MFDs like this one always turn out.

Looks like it's heading for a straight delete/merge to me.
Kato
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 7th October 2007, 9:44pm) *
So, who gets to be Robespierre and when do they set the guillotine up for Jimbo and then Angela???

After the Reign of Terror, when Jimbo's Marie Internette-lasse faire-let-them-eat-cake attitude to public responsibility is at an end, at least we'll be free of merde such as this from Robespierre's biography.

QUOTE(Wikipedia biography of Robespierre)
Historians disagree on Robespierre's role in the Terror. Some say that he was a minor player in the Committee of Public Safety. Babeuf and Philippe Buonarroti have tried to absolve him by saying he acted only for reasons of practical expediency. However, Robespierre's role as a leader and mouthpiece of the Terror is clear. Robespierre is usually regarded as the dominant force on the committee. Louis-Sébastien Mercier coined the term "Sanguinocrat" to describe Robespierre. However, after his death many of his colleagues tried to save themselves by blaming him.

Robespierre was a minor figure of The Terror, a leader and mouthpiece of The Terror, and finally a scapegoat to blame for The Terror, all in one badly written paragraph.
Viridae
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 8th October 2007, 9:43am) *

When was it CSI in the first place?
The Joy
CSN topic: I never understood understood why there were two AN threads: AN and AN/I. Why not just have one big noticeboard? Most people just post to AN/I and seem to leave AN alone. I say the fewer boards, the better. WP is so huge that finding the right forum

Robespierre topic: As for Robespierre, I'd like to know who these "some historians" are. When I was in college and you made that kind of statement, you were supposed to provide citations and references alluding to who said it. It would be better to have said something like "that there is historical consensus that Robespierre was a major figure and leader of the Reign of Terror although a minority of historians (citation/s) such as [[so-and-so]] and [[whoever]] refute this belief."

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 7th October 2007, 9:34pm) *

I thought it was in the beginning simply the Community Noticeboard (WP:CN) for general announcements?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sun 7th October 2007, 2:44pm) *

Read all about it!

My favorite comment is :

Ban - I vote to ban it. WilyD 03:43, 6 October 2007 (UTC)

RfA was also nominated for deletion, but was speedily kept and refered to this RfC....

Meta-dysfunction.
the fieryangel

It's all my fault. I don't edit on WP, so I can't keep these things straight. You figured it out though.

blissyu2
This is just bizarre.

Mind you, I am of the belief that voting for administrators should be a straight-out vote, not a "consensus" crap, and the only people who should be able to vote are other administrators, and people above them. Whether they make it 70% required or 50% required, it should be a flat out vote, anonymous to boot. That's basically what we do here at WR, and I think its the way to go. The problem with Wikipedia's RFA is that its public. Because its public, if you vote "no" as the first person to vote "no" then people harass you, and they keep on harassing you until you change your mind. Ergo, you say yes, and keep on saying yes, unless someone else has said no at some point. Voting must be anonymous. If you personally want to say what your anonymous vote is, then you do so.

I mean in any election in the real world it is always anonymous. There are serious reasons why it needs to be anonymous. Yes, you might want to discuss it, but when it comes to the vote itself, its personal.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 7th October 2007, 9:34pm) *

the title here originally said CSI, kato changed it to CSN. He wasn't saying it was originally called CSI.
guy
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 8th October 2007, 2:49am) *

a minority of historians (citation/s) such as [[so-and-so]] and [[whoever]] refute this belief."

Nobody's refuted it (i.e. produced overwhelming evidence disproving it). They might deny it - a very different thing. The terms are often confused on Wikipedia (I don't believe something in this article, hence I've disproved it and am removing it).

KamrynMatika
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Mon 8th October 2007, 9:27am) *

This is just bizarre.

Mind you, I am of the belief that voting for administrators should be a straight-out vote, not a "consensus" crap, and the only people who should be able to vote are other administrators, and people above them. Whether they make it 70% required or 50% required, it should be a flat out vote, anonymous to boot. That's basically what we do here at WR, and I think its the way to go. The problem with Wikipedia's RFA is that its public. Because its public, if you vote "no" as the first person to vote "no" then people harass you, and they keep on harassing you until you change your mind. Ergo, you say yes, and keep on saying yes, unless someone else has said no at some point. Voting must be anonymous. If you personally want to say what your anonymous vote is, then you do so.

I mean in any election in the real world it is always anonymous. There are serious reasons why it needs to be anonymous. Yes, you might want to discuss it, but when it comes to the vote itself, its personal.

No only allowing admins to select other admins would be stupid. As only a small minority of admins are particularly active, you would be giving power over most of wikipedia to an incredibly small self selecting group.
Nya
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Mon 8th October 2007, 8:43am) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Mon 8th October 2007, 9:27am) *

This is just bizarre.

No only allowing admins to select other admins would be stupid. As only a small minority of admins are particularly active, you would be giving power over most of wikipedia to an incredibly small self selecting group.

I think, though, that the larger point is a good one. Voting should be anonymous, assuming there's some sort of check to ensure that people only vote once. The amount of harrassment people go through when they oppose any RfA is ridiculous.
JohnA
"Some say.." is a Wikipedian meme meaning "I believe..." or "This weblog that I like says.."

It is almost never properly cited. It's another weasel way to slant an article while remaining NPOV.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.