Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Academic Perspectives On Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
I tagged along to a conference on college and university teaching that was hosted in Traverse City, Michigan last week and naturally couldn't resist dropping in on a session entitled "Using Wikipedia To Teach Critical Thinking Skills". The speaker, Michael Lorenzen, is affiliated with the Park Library of Central Michigan University and is currently the Editor of the Michigan Library Association Forum.

I will reserve my specific remarks on Michael's talk until I am prepared to do a formal style of review, perhaps saving it for the blog — when and if I get around to it. And you all know how that is.

As a generic observation, however, this talk made me slightly more aware than I was before of just how many myths about Wikipedia persist among a population whose critical thinking skills we might have expected to be rather better honed than the average member of the public. It now seems likely to me that I have been spoiled by the level of e-street savvy that prevails in my own local circle. No doubt on account of my own e-fluence. No doubt.

No matter — honing the hone-challenged is what we do.

With regards to his own experience, Michael asserted that he created over 200 articles on Wikipedia. I did not think to ask whether he edited under his own name or not and I cannot find a User:Michael Lorenzen, so maybe we can find his contributions under some other mutation of his nom réel. Or not.

There is, perhaps not incidentally, an AFD that ended in deleting an article on a person who appears to be the same Michael Lorenzen.

In his talk, Michael referred in passing to an article of his in the Michigan Library Association Forum, entitled "Vandals, Administrators, and Sockpuppets, Oh My! An Ethnographic Study of Wikipedia’s Handling of Problem Behavior".

I haven't gotten around to reading this yet, and I'm a few days behind in my other work, but it may be worth a look, if only to give us further insight into the breadth and depth of the information gap that we are charged to cross, so to spark.

I emailed Michael and invited him to join the discussion and give his perspective.

Jon Awbrey
Somey
Mr. Lorenzen is known on Wikipedia as User:Wikilibrarian. His user page says he "took an extended vacation from Wikipedia after being harassed by a now banned user." The user in question was User:Gzornenplatz, later banned as a sock puppet of User:Wik.

Lorenzen also seems to have a nice blog called "The Information Literacy Land of Confusion." He appears to be a real stand-up guy, actually!

I'd be a little surprised that he hadn't heard of us before, but it's an awfully big web out there...
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:43pm) *

User:LarryQ? He voted to keep the article, lives in Michigan and has created quite a few articles [and claims to be a historian and scholar, and mentions marking his student's papers …]

Yes, that sounds like a good guess — going by the "Living in Michigan in a Similar Way Litmus Test", also known as the "Petoskey Touchstone". For the moment, however, I will not pursue the question of the speaker's Un-Real Life (URL) unless some facet of it becomes essential to my present focus.

For the present purpose, Michael's talk served as a bellwether, a sleeping dogma waker. He was clearly more familiar with Wikipedia than the rest of the session attendees — this Reporter excepted, of course — and so the fact that I heard him echoing so many Tenets Of Wikipedism with only the barest hints of reflective critique told me that the upper bound of Wikipedia wariness in Academe was fearfully lower than I had previously guessed.

That is a presenting symptom that presents a clear and present challenge to this Review. We simply must exert ourselves to do a better job of Critique, not to mention Hue and Cry, than we have here-2-4 done.

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 9th October 2007, 2:22am) *

Mr. Lorenzen is known on Wikipedia as User:Wikilibrarian. His user page says he "took an extended vacation from Wikipedia after being harassed by a now banned user". The user in question was User:Gzornenplatz, later banned as a sock puppet of User:Wik.

Lorenzen also seems to have a nice blog called "The Information Literacy Land Of Confusion". He appears to be a real stand-up guy, actually!

I'd be a little surprised that he hadn't heard of us before, but it's an awfully big web out there …

Well, I am shocked to learn that there are ≥ 2 people in Michigan who still know what a library is, much less "mark" student "papers", but I do hope to see … maybe ¬2day, maybe ¬2morrow, but soon … many old myths about sundry subjects sink beneath our wisdom like a Petoskey stone.

Wow !!! — Wik, at least, is famous, even y'know, ¬orious …

At any rate, anyone who fosters pronounceable acronyms like TILLOC (The Information Literacy Land Of Confusion) can't be all good, which is to say, a man after my own ♥ …

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 8th October 2007, 1:47pm) *

In my experience in the real world, teachers I've spoken to are increasingly distressed, irritated, and exhausted with Wikipedia. Whittling away the plagiarised Wikipedia passages from written work and having to counter falsehoods gleaned from Der Jimbo's grand folly places another unwelcome burden on what is already a difficult task.

However, when I went online and into the Richard Dawkins site to canvass opinions from the Dawkinsians, I found myself defending the evidence of Wikipedia's damage against some really naive arguments. I think I did a pretty good job, but it was apparent that even amongst computer literate "free-thinkers", Wikipedia's wreckless processes are still trusted way more than they deserve to be. One poster insisted that errors are removed almost immediately, seemed to be confident that a "team of overseers" are there on hand to constantly improve content, sceptically demanding that I show evidence of WP carrying falsehoods. Another naive poster, who again knew little about it, admired WP's "scientific method of improvement". laugh.gif

There is a factor that we encounter with novice computer science students and people who learned their bits of programming theory on the fly. I am talking about the not-so-recent-anymore revival — complete with snakes and tents — of a whole spate of all too wishful dreams about Self-Organizing Connectionist Knowledge Systems (SOCKS). This paradigm was all the rage in the 40's, whimpered out in the 60's, revived again with a vengeance in the 80's, and after that I personally quit paying attention to the fads of this fashion.

There is that Willing Suspension Of Disbelief that lards in the catalytic yeast giving rise to all pleasant fixions, and it's damn near impossible to counteract by any means short of the recalcitrantly deflating hard knocks of real world experience.

Response to the on-topic portions of this post by the Schock Artiste formerly known as Revision —

Most of the Library And Information Science folks that I know are fairly well-attuned to the problems of bringing their clientele up-to-snuff with the skills of Information Literacy that are demanded by the duties of responsible citizenship in our post*modern day and age.

Like any other discipline, however, some disciples are more hip to theory than to practice, some disciples are bent just the opposite way, and there is frequently a gap between the two inclinations that makes for a lack of power in action.

That would be my first guess as to what I observed in the particular session that I attended.

Jon Awbrey
Revision
^ This is exactly why I do like Wikipedia. ^

Purple pose is best left to the "clubs" over Claret. Scientific responses to internet clap trap, is a wrong approach. The internet is an asylum, that even Freud (or Jung) couldn't begin to diagnosis and "cure" with talk -- or a strait-jacket. tongue.gif
Jonny Cache
I wanted to give Michael a couple of days to catch up with the kind of email — and me to catch up with the kind of laundry — that tends to pile up after a week-long conference. Then, of course, all aside from the 50-50 odds that email from a cold address gets robo-shunted to the re*circular dev-ø folder, he may decide, quite understandably, not to risk the Critic Of Puerile Reason with which our merry banned of reprobates tends to fill the rowdy red 1-room schoolhouse of The Wikipedia Review.

Failing that, I can use the printed handouts from Michael's simulated PowerPoint presentation to fund our own discussion of the points occasioned by it.

In the meantime, I did notice one persistent point of confusion that kept arising in the discussion so far. The title of the talk was "Using Wikipedia To Teach Critical Thinking Skills". That rather carefully and deliberately avoids suggesting that the Wikipedia editing process itself necessarily involves any degree of critical thinking — no doubt you'd get a many-splintered opinion about that point depending on whom you ask — it merely suggests that the material and the process espied in Wikipedia affords a springboard for reflective critique.

And that, I think, is indisputable.

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
Dynamic Page — Excerpts From Michael Lorenzen's Talk

I was hoping that ML himself would turn up and save me the tedium of typing, and maybe even post his talk on our editorial blog, but just in case that doesn't happen I'll begin transcribing excerpts from the printed handouts of his PowerPoint slides.

Jon Awbrey

Conference Title and Theme —

7th Annual Lilly Conference on College Teaching
Blueprints for Student Learning
Traverse City, Michigan
October 4–7

Abstract of Michael Lorenzen's presentation in the conference program —

QUOTE(Michael Lorenzen @ Lilly North 2007 Conference Program)

Using Wikipedia to Teach Critical Thinking Skills
Michael Lorenzen — Park Library, Central Michigan University

Students are increasingly using Wikipedia to conduct research. The fact that anyone can edit Wikipedia has raised concerns from many academics and many of them have banned the use of Wikipedia in their courses. However, Wikipedia can be used as a tool for teaching students how to evaluate sources and think critically. This presentation will show how Wikipedia works, demonstrate how Wikipedia articles are edited, and give tips on how Wikipedia can be used in teaching college students.

QUOTE(Michael Lorenzen @ 06 Oct 2007)
«1»

Michael Lorenzen
Central Michigan University
6 October 2007

«2»

Wikipedia
  • Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that allows anyone to edit. Launched in 2001, it has over 6 million articles in 250 languages. A volunteer foundation runs it. Google loves it. It ranks high for lots of searches. (World War Two, Biology, Charles V. Park.) Your students use it.

«3»

Judges use it — From the NYT, 29 January 2007
  • A simple search of published court decisions shows that Wikipedia is frequently cited by judges around the country, involving serious issues and the bizarre — such as a 2005 tax case before the Tennessee Court of Appeals concerning the definition of "beverage" that involved hundreds of thousands of dollars, and, just this week, a case in Federal District Court in Florida that involved the term "booty music" as played during a wet T-shirt contest.

«4»

More Courts and Wikipedia
  • More than 100 judicial rulings have relied on Wikipedia, beginning in 2004, including 13 from circuit courts of appeal, one step below the Supreme Court. (The Supreme Court thus far has never cited Wikipedia.)
  • "Wikipedia is a terrific resource", said Judge Richard A. Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, in Chicago. "Partly because it is so convenient, it often has been updated recently, and is very accurate."
Jonny Cache
Amusing → Bemusing incidents from the early history of Wikilibrarian —Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
I'll continue adding facsimiles of Michael Lorenzen's slides to the dynamic page above and discuss them as I go along. I know we incline toward the informal in this Forum, but Michael's talk was a welcome attempt to address a serious subject in a critical and reflective way, and so I will endeavour to maintain a bubble of temporary sanity around it.

Conference Title and Theme —

7th Annual Lilly Conference on College Teaching
Blueprints for Student Learning
Traverse City, Michigan
October 4–7

Abstract of Michael Lorenzen's presentation in the conference program —

QUOTE(Michael Lorenzen @ Lilly North 2007 Conference Program)

Michael Lorenzen — Park Library, Central Michigan University

Students are increasingly using Wikipedia to conduct research. The fact that anyone can edit Wikipedia has raised concerns from many academics and many of them have banned the use of Wikipedia in their courses. However, Wikipedia can be used as a tool for teaching students how to evaluate sources and think critically. This presentation will show how Wikipedia works, demonstrate how Wikipedia articles are edited, and give tips on how Wikipedia can be used in teaching college students.

«1»

Michael Lorenzen
Central Michigan University
6 October 2007

«2»

Wikipedia
  • Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that allows anyone to edit. Launched in 2001, it has over 6 million articles in 250 languages. A volunteer foundation runs it. Google loves it. It ranks high for lots of searches. (World War Two, Biology, Charles V. Park.) Your students use it.

The distinction between doing critical thinking within the fold of the Wikipedia environment and using Wikipedia to teach critical thinking skills ought to be clear. Even if Wikipedia process and Wikipedia product afforded nothing but bad examples of critical thinking — a limit that Wikipedia lies nigh on its parliamentary and policy pages — suitably reflective learners and teachers could still make instructive use of The Wikipedia Experience, through the detection of its defects and the diagnosis of its disorders.

Ripeness is all in that regard.

Jon Awbrey
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 9th October 2007, 12:08pm) *

• A simple search of published court decisions shows that Wikipedia is frequently cited by judges around the country, involving serious issues and the bizarre — such as a 2005 tax case before the Tennessee Court of Appeals concerning the definition of "beverage" that involved hundreds of thousands of dollars, and, just this week, a case in Federal District Court in Florida that involved the term "booty music" as played during a wet T-shirt contest.

Here is the text of the relevant part of FRE 201 which govern the use of references in Federal court cases, most state rules of evidence are based on this:

( b ) Kinds of facts.

A judicially noticed fact must be one not subject to reasonable dispute in that it is either (1) generally known within the territorial jurisdiction of the trial court or (2) capable of accurate and ready determination by resort to sources whose accuracy cannot reasonably be questioned.
---emphasis added

No judge that was informed of the manner in which WP articles "develop" would allow the their use.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 11th October 2007, 10:08am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 9th October 2007, 12:08pm) *

«3»

Here is the text of the relevant part of FRE 201 which govern the use of references in Federal court cases, most state rules of evidence are based on this:

( b ) Kinds of facts.

A judicially noticed fact must be one not subject to reasonable dispute in that it is either (1) generally known within the territorial jurisdiction of the trial court or (2) capable of accurate and ready determination by resort to sources whose accuracy cannot reasonably be questioned.
— emphasis added

No judge that was informed of manner in which WP articles "develop" would allow the their use.

Thanks for that gloss, Glass. I had a nagging sense that there was something terribly wrong at this point, and I kept thinking of all those recent newspaper stories about some BADCITY where tons and tonnes of old cases were being reviewed and tossed out on account of the BADCITES that some court officers had used.

Michael mentioned in his talk that he had an interest in political history and especially the biographies of lesser known political figures from the 1800's, but he did not claim any particular judicial or legal expertise.

Jon Awbrey
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.