Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andrew Keen on Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Daniel Brandt
Andrew Keen talks about Wikipedia (he speaks truth):

Q: Wikipedia-- the online encyclopedia written and edited by users-- is another of your favorite topics. What's your problem with that?

A: In the book I focused on the fact that Wikipedia was riddled with errors. I think it probably is. To me there is a more important problem with Wikipedia: It has no context. I was on the (Stephen) Colbert show (on Comedy Central) recently. He asked me about Wikipedia. If you go to Wikipedia, the entry on "truthiness"-- Colbert's sort-of very funny play on "truth"-- has almost as long and as carefully and meticulously footnoted entry as on "truth," the corner stone of the Western philosophical tradition. Tradition which has spawned thousands, tens of thousands of books. It represents the foundation of Western academy, everything, for the last 2,000 years.

The problem with Wikipedia is there is no one determining when something is more important than something else. So, Wikipedia just reflects our own obsessive 24 hour news cycle. The entry on Pamela Anderson is as carefully footnoted and meticulously researched as the entry on Marie Curie or Joan of Arc.

There is no one in charge. There are no grown ups there. It's just kids. So you have a lot of garbage. You have entries on irrelevant footnotes of footnotes. Popular media stars in a few days or a even few minutes often get forgotten.

I'm sure the entry on OJ Simpson is incredibly complex. People don't understand that if you want to have a really valuable encyclopedia, you have to escape from today, from this month, from this year. You've got to have some perspective.

WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Sun 14th October 2007, 8:09am) *

Andrew Keen talks about Wikipedia (he speaks truth):

Q: Wikipedia-- the online encyclopedia written and edited by users-- is another of your favorite topics. What's your problem with that?

A: In the book I focused on the fact that Wikipedia was riddled with errors. I think it probably is. To me there is a more important problem with Wikipedia: It has no context. I was on the (Stephen) Colbert show (on Comedy Central) recently. He asked me about Wikipedia. If you go to Wikipedia, the entry on "truthiness"-- Colbert's sort-of very funny play on "truth"-- has almost as long and as carefully and meticulously footnoted entry as on "truth," the corner stone of the Western philosophical tradition. Tradition which has spawned thousands, tens of thousands of books. It represents the foundation of Western academy, everything, for the last 2,000 years.

The problem with Wikipedia is there is no one determining when something is more important than something else. So, Wikipedia just reflects our own obsessive 24 hour news cycle. The entry on Pamela Anderson is as carefully footnoted and meticulously researched as the entry on Marie Curie or Joan of Arc.

There is no one in charge. There are no grown ups there. It's just kids. So you have a lot of garbage. You have entries on irrelevant footnotes of footnotes. Popular media stars in a few days or a even few minutes often get forgotten.

I'm sure the entry on OJ Simpson is incredibly complex. People don't understand that if you want to have a really valuable encyclopedia, you have to escape from today, from this month, from this year. You've got to have some perspective.

Andrew’s philosophy is "spot on." I love his works. I caught his segment with Colbert.

“Cult of the Amateur” is a brilliant piece of work.
I want him to expound more on what he believes we should do as a people wanting and willing to make changes. He talks about what parents can do; that is a good thing, albeit everyone on earth is involved.

It appears that his philosophy is becoming more widely understood and accepted.

As a parent of three daughters, I fear for their mental health and well being more now than ever before. I do not want my children learning how to be experts on “guitar hero” while they fail to learn how to read and play real music.

Our children are exposed to a lifestyle founded on how not to learn about life and the miracle of free thinking, creativity, silence, solitude, and philosophy. A 30 second attention span accompanied by a selfish state of the “me disease” is permeating our culture.

During my limited observance / experience with WP, it showed me that without a leader, the youthful insanity and chaos of that site, will ultimately creat articles that default to average and mediocre at best; often lacking any real worth. In its path, WP creates addictions and mental illness. It is “Lord of the flies” in real life.

Lee Nysted 10-14-07
JoseClutch

A: In the book I focused on the fact that Wikipedia was riddled with errors. I think it probably is. (snipped)

Uhm - I can't help but notice that this is easily paraphrased as: "I wrote a book about how Wikipedia's filled with errors. I have no idea whether or not what I wrote is true, because I didin't bother to check, but I'd guess it is. I mean, anything's possible, right?"
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Sun 14th October 2007, 9:21am) *

A: In the book I focused on the fact that Wikipedia was riddled with errors. I think it probably is. (snipped)

Uhm - I can't help but notice that this is easily paraphrased as: "I wrote a book about how Wikipedia's filled with errors. I have no idea whether or not what I wrote is true, because I didin't bother to check, but I'd guess it is. I mean, anything's possible, right?"

The book really does speak to many of the failings of WP and the issues at hand, herein; with sufficient transparency to his resources (enough even for young souls that lack any wisdom) so as to ascertain the truth about same.

The book is not about Wikipedia, although Wikipedia is covered under the broad spectrum of his main thesis. smile.gif
everyking
I would say that Keen's criticism--that Wikipedia lacks regulation according to the ascribed importance of subjects, and simply builds up content on all notable subjects to a comprehensive level--is perhaps its greatest strength. Nobody is saying "truth" does not deserve a rich and deep level of coverage--as an inclusionist, I want Wikipedia's coverage on that subject expand far beyond what you could find in any single book, to represent volumes worth of thought and the history of it--but our content on "truth" is not to the slightest degree harmed by our content on "truthiness". Hurt the content on "truthiness", and you only hurt the people who want to learn about "truthiness". Deletionists fail to appreciate the true value of information; they have an essential contempt for both the idea of a comprehensive collection of knowledge and for the readers who want to learn from it.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 14th October 2007, 1:42pm) *

I would say that Keen's criticism--that Wikipedia lacks regulation according to the ascribed importance of subjects, and simply builds up content on all notable subjects to a comprehensive level--is perhaps its greatest strength. Nobody is saying "truth" does not deserve a rich and deep level of coverage--as an inclusionist, I want Wikipedia's coverage on that subject expand far beyond what you could find in any single book, to represent volumes worth of thought and the history of it--but our content on "truth" is not to the slightest degree harmed by our content on "truthiness". Hurt the content on "truthiness", and you only hurt the people who want to learn about "truthiness". Deletionists fail to appreciate the true value of information; they have an essential contempt for both the idea of a comprehensive collection of knowledge and for the readers who want to learn from it.

I guess you don't see the problem that the article on South Park is longer longer than the article on the Upanishads, or that while every aspect of characters of South Park are analyzed in depth, with links to separate articles on each character, the bulk of the article on the Upanishads is nothing more than a list of the texts that comprise the cannon, usually with no corresponding link to a separate article?
JoseClutch
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 14th October 2007, 4:04pm) *

I guess you don't see the problem that the article on South Park is longer longer than the article on the Upanishads, or that while every aspect of characters of South Park are analyzed in depth, with links to separate articles on each character, the bulk of the article on the Upanishads is nothing more than a list of the texts that comprise the cannon, usually with no corresponding link to a separate article?

The point is that it's an irrelevant comparison - Wikipedia is (supposed to be) a work in progress, it's just progressed farther on South Park than the Upanishads ...
In a finished state, the total material on the Upanishads should be larger than that on South Park, but the South Park stuff is easier to write for most current editors, so it's been written first. Is this really a big deal? Is there any reason why Wikipedia should limit its coverage on any topic because of the length of something unrelated? I don't see it.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Sun 14th October 2007, 2:18pm) *

The point is that it's an irrelevant comparison - Wikipedia is (supposed to be) a work in progress, it's just progressed farther on South Park than the Upanishads ...
In a finished state, the total material on the Upanishads should be larger than that on South Park, but the South Park stuff is easier to write for most current editors, so it's been written first. Is this really a big deal? Is there any reason why Wikipedia should limit its coverage on any topic because of the length of something unrelated? I don't see it.

Hardly irrelevant. Article length and citation numbers is an objective means of measuring relative importance. This demonstrates why WP should not be seen as a serious endeavor. And it is not getting better. With each new episode the South Park article gets longer while serious articles do not. It is as much a "work in regress" as anything else. WP has no editorial restraint and no capacity to get any. Do you anticipate any improvement in the quality, or even the interests, of your "current" editors, who by your own description, are immature and intellectually stunted?
alienus
You're right. Any idiot can edit about South Park, and many do. Most people (in the USA, anyhow) have never even heard about the Upanishads so they're not going to be interested in (or, not that it matters, capable of) contributing to that article.

WP is about popularity, not importance. Consider Ayn Rand, who isn't philosophically important in the least bit and is barely even considered a philosopher at all. Because she wrote popular novels that have her "philosophy" imbedded, she has tons of detailed articles on every aspect of her output. Moreover, because she has rabid fans, including Jimbo, these articles are puff pieces that make her sound like the second coming of Aristotle, and anyone who disagrees is setting themselves up for bans.

This isn't a weird exception; it's just how things work. WP is intentionally hard to edit and hostile towards experts, so only the most insane of amateurs get their way.

Al

thekohser
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Sun 14th October 2007, 4:18pm) *

It becomes relevant when the "culture" of the editors who lovingly tend to the South Park article begins to bleed over into areas that are well outside the milieu of South Park. That's when you get people like Samuel Blanning (an admin with over 20,000 edits to his name) uttering daft nonsense in a deletion debate about the Arch Coal company. (Blanning questioned whether Arch Coal was an encyclopedic topic because it "seemed weak" that it is the second-largest coal-mining operation in the United States).

That, I feel, is the problem with the imbalance between pop culture trivia and actual real-world history, science, and business.

Greg
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 14th October 2007, 9:22pm) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Sun 14th October 2007, 4:18pm) *

The point is that it's an irrelevant comparison — Wikipedia is (supposed to be) a work in progress, it's just progressed farther on South Park than the Upanishads …

It becomes relevant when the "culture" of the editors who lovingly tend to the South Park article begins to bleed over into areas that are well outside the milieu of South Park. That's when you get people like Samuel Blanning (an admin with over 20,000 edits to his name) uttering daft nonsense in a deletion debate about the Arch Coal company. (Blanning questioned whether Arch Coal was an encyclopedic topic because it "seemed weak" that it is the second-largest coal-mining operation in the United States).

That, I feel, is the problem with the imbalance between pop culture trivia and actual real-world history, science, and business.

Greg

Yes, we've all been saying this time and time again. I couldn't care less if Ryulong has 100,000 edits on Power Ranger and TMNT articles, and it would never have occurred to me to mess with his toys except to fix the random formatting or spelling error that I'd run across by chance. But that never stops the average 8 year old Admin on crack with the mindset of RoboCop 2.5 who never cracked — if you'll excuse the expression — a book on philosophy in his life from enforcing his sense of gangsta turf ownership on articles that he neither cares nor knows JimBo Diddley about.

Jonny cool.gif
badlydrawnjeff
Wikipedia's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, currently.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Sun 14th October 2007, 11:02pm) *

Wikipedia's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, currently.

{{↑DOUBLE THINK↑}}

Jonny cool.gif
dtobias
Is this Andrew Keen character any relation to Commander Keen in the computer games?
Somey
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 14th October 2007, 10:22pm) *
Is this Andrew Keen character any relation to Commander Keen in the computer games?

Hasn't he been promoted to Admiral by now? Talk about an underachiever...

Anyway, I should think you'd be more interested in much of what Keen is writing about than most, Mr. Tobias... His background is actually in the music business, and while he doesn't mention Tiffany by name, I'd have to say after reading the book that he's actually more pessimistic about the future of pop music than he is about encyclopedias, the news media, or the movie industry. I guess the simple way of looking at it is that he's bitter about music file-sharing and downloading, particularly of the copyright-infringing variety, but at the same time he thinks DRM is a bad idea (he likes eMusic, as does yours truly), mostly since it's nearly always defeatable and only serves to piss off the customer. He also realizes that the record labels and the RIAA are shooting themselves in the foot with that and the high prices still being charged for new CD's.

So the big question is, how does someone like Tiffany survive in this kind of commercial environment? I mean, other than by marrying a rich CEO or something... I noticed that Dust Off and Dance is on eMusic, along with the Cleopatra reissue of "I Think We're Alone Now," but other than that, doodley squat.

This calls for further investigation!
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 14th October 2007, 4:04pm) *

I kinda get what I think everyking is saying here. To me this comes right back around to the whole Wikipedia is taken far too seriously argument. And from there I go to where I've been stuck on lately, "Whose fault is it that it is taken seriously?"

In another post i read tonight blissy did a good job outlining Jimbo's early attitude towards banning. He just didn't want to do it. That suggests to me that he took it was I think it should have always been taken: Just sort of a neat website. Not anything more serious than that.

I long for those days when it really wasn't considered serious and people weren't treating it as if it was a full time job. I think that is why i tend towards inclusion, hoping that it will help return to that. I reject the idea that wp should be considered anything serious at all.
dtobias
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 15th October 2007, 12:25am) *

So the big question is, how does someone like Tiffany survive in this kind of commercial environment? I mean, other than by marrying a rich CEO or something... I noticed that Dust Off and Dance is on eMusic, along with the Cleopatra reissue of "I Think We're Alone Now," but other than that, doodley squat.

She's actually got a song on a Billboard chart now... "Higher" (a non-album track currently only released as a promo single) is on the "Hot Dance Club Play" chart. So I guess her current strategy involves getting the dance clubs to play her new music more than actually selling it.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Mon 15th October 2007, 4:59am) *

I long for those days when it really wasn't considered serious and people weren't treating it as if it was a full time job. I think that is why I tend towards inclusion, hoping that it will help return to that. I reject the idea that WP should be considered anything serious at all.

It's all Daniel Brandt's fault, of course, accountability ho dat e be. Brian Chase had the right attitude right from the start — he didn't think that Wikipedia was anything like a non-joke site — and it's all because of Ke-Mo Sah-Bee Dee-Bee that he got the laugh wiped off his face.

Good thang the rest of us still have a sense of hew-more.

Jonny cool.gif
anthony
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 14th October 2007, 8:04pm) *

Personally, I don't. In fact, I think South Park is a much more appropriate topic for a site written by amateurs.

I think Keen is dead wrong when he says that Wikipedia reflecting pop culture is a more important problem than it being riddled with errors.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 15th October 2007, 3:55pm) *

Personally, I don't. In fact, I think South Park is a much more appropriate topic for a site written by amateurs.

I think Keen is dead wrong when he says that Wikipedia reflecting pop culture is a more important problem than it being riddled with errors.

I would have less of problems if WP held itself out as a cartoon catalog instead of a proper encyclopedia. There is also the disruption caused by admin earning their buttons working on the cruft articles interfering with article writers on scholarly topics they know nothing about, as Jonny has explained so well.
guy
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 15th October 2007, 11:04pm) *

There is also the disruption caused by admin earning their buttons working on the cruft articles interfering with article writers on scholarly topics they know nothing about, as Jonny has explained so well.

Some admins don't only interfere when they don't know their subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_...schoolnet.co.uk

they fail to listen after it's explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=120586313
anthony
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 15th October 2007, 10:04pm) *

I would have less of problems if WP held itself out as a cartoon catalog instead of a proper encyclopedia.

I've never really liked the fact that WP calls itself an encyclopedia. I remember the first time I heard a Wikipedian seriously arguing that Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. Not a website trying to make an encyclopedia, not an encyclopedia-like wiki, but that Wikipedia actually is an encyclopedia. It's one of the many examples of Wikipedia newspeak.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 15th October 2007, 10:04pm) *

There is also the disruption caused by admin earning their buttons working on the cruft articles interfering with article writers on scholarly topics they know nothing about, as Jonny has explained so well.

Sure, there's that, but that's a totally separate issue.

To be fair, I think Keen does have a lot of good points. He says that "free culture is generally bad culture; free media is bad media" and that "the most corrosive thing about web 2.0 is this anonymity of many of its users." I think this explains a lot about the problems currently being experienced by Wikipedia. Unpaid content creators have a tendency to create content which blurs the line between useful content and advertising. Add anonymity in to the mix and you get a mess where not only is the content biased but even an educated reader has a difficult time sorting through the bias. Wikipedia's policies of NPOV, and using verifiable expert sources, was supposed to solve that, but when those who enforce the policies are themselves biased and anonymous the policies themselves do no good.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 15th October 2007, 6:04pm) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 15th October 2007, 3:55pm) *

I would have less of problems if WP held itself out as a cartoon catalog instead of a proper encyclopedia.

Absolutely agree there; we probably wouldn't be here if they just dropped that one absurd claim.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 14th October 2007, 3:52pm) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Sun 14th October 2007, 2:18pm) *

Hardly irrelevant. Article length and citation numbers is an objective means of measuring relative importance. This demonstrates why WP should not be seen as a serious endeavor. And it is not getting better. With each new episode the South Park article gets longer while serious articles do not. It is as much a "work in regress" as anything else. WP has no editorial restraint and no capacity to get any. Do you anticipate any improvement in the quality, or even the interests, of your "current" editors, who by your own description, are immature and intellectually stunted?

Whilst I take a break from looking at the peaks from LLAO LLAO... in Bariloche, Argentina alongside a lake that is 1200 feet deep:

I say..............troof! Well worded Glassbeadgame. Wisdom comes with age and experience. There are brilliant people of all ages but only experience brings us to any sort or sense of wisdom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.