Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O'Reilly Book on Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
GlassBeadGame
An O'Reilly book on Wikipedia is coming out in December. There is some uninteresting talk on wikien-l. The book is not likely to have any discussion of criticism. To my knowledge this is the first book directly on the site although some previous books on MediaWiki software or Wikis in general have been published.
Kato
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 22nd October 2007, 3:25am) *

An O'Reilly book on Wikipedia is coming out in December. There is some uninteresting talk on wikien-l. The book is not likely to have any discussion of criticism. To my knowledge this is the first book directly on the site although some previous books on MediaWiki software or Wikis in general have been published.

There's a book coming out next year, apparently called "Mimbo-Jimbo: The creation of the World's most irresponsible encyclopedia".

Anyone know anything about that? FORUM Image

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 21st October 2007, 8:31pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 22nd October 2007, 3:25am) *

There's a book coming out next year, apparently called "Mimbo-Jimbo: The creation of the World's most irresponsible encyclopedia".

Anyone know anything about that? FORUM Image

I read that somewhere.
Nathan
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 21st October 2007, 10:25pm) *

If it was instead a book on MediaWiki, I'd download an ebook version for my own reference.
But a book on Wikipedia? Ho hum.
alienus
QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 21st October 2007, 10:36pm) *

If it was instead a book on MediaWiki, I'd download an ebook version for my own reference.
But a book on Wikipedia? Ho hum.

You'd think t hat the proper medium to something about WP would be a wiki.

Al
Jonny Cache
Yeah, I clicked on that — the title was something like Wikipedia : The Missing Manure — and the abstract was enough to pindown the all too familiar genre:

Yet Another Clueless Kibitzer's Observations From A Distance

YACKOFAD

All this sort of stuff does is reconfirm my increasing conviction that The Wikipedia Review has to get a whole lot better at focusing our criticism and tightening our documentation of Wikipedism's danger to society.

Jonny cool.gif
The Joy
If someone actually did write a very well-done critique of WP, would some on WP create an WP:BADBOOKS policy?

A shame that this book will lack reference to the more negative points of WP.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 21st October 2007, 9:16pm) *

If someone actually did write a very well-done critique of WP, would some on WP create an WP:BADBOOKS policy?

If this book does well it may make getting publishers interested in a critical book much easier.
Yehudi
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 22nd October 2007, 3:31am) *

Anyone know anything about that?

A Google search shows nothing. Anyway, surely any halfway competent researcher would have approached someone here about it.
w.marsh
Karmafist was supposed to be writing the first book on Wikipedia a year ago... did that ever materialize?
D.A.F.
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 21st October 2007, 11:26pm) *

If this book does well it may make getting publishers interested in a critical book much easier.

Yeah, it could boost a critical book, most probably publishers will be all over making offers.

What about we all contribute in writting such a book in preparation, the collected money could go in a found to build a credible encyclopedia.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 3:59pm) *

Yeah, it could boost a critical book, most probably publishers will be all over making offers.

What about we all contribute in writting such a book in preparation, the collected money could go in a found to build a credible encyclopedia.

I don't speak for anybody else put if I participate in writing a book and it gets published I'm looking for a payday.
D.A.F.
Are we not ex-Wikipedian? Working for free should not be something so alien to us. smile.gif

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 9:41pm) *

QUOTE(Xidaf @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 3:59pm) *

I don't speak for anybody else put if I participate in writing a book and it gets published I'm looking for a payday.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.