Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: History of West Eurasia
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
Well, that's settled.

North Africa is a part of West Eurasia.

Within this article, you will be exposed to nuggets of the sum of all human knowledge, such as:

In the wake of the Teutoburger Wald disaster, Augustus faced reality and gave advice to his successors to stick to the borders he had achieved. That advice was in the main kept until the reign of Claudius. Under Claudius a number of vassel states were annexed and in 43 CE the island of Britain was invaded. The empire reached its maximum extent under Trajan who had completed his conquest of the Thracian kingdom of Dacia in 106 and in 113 launched a war against Parthia conquering Mesopotamia and placing the pliable Parthamaspates on the Parthian throne. On Trajan's death, however, Hadrian withdrew from Mesopotamia.

and this:

In the north west the realm of the Franks under the Merovingians had become the dominant power but as it was often divided this did not have much wider impact.

Byzantine forces secured the Sassanid throne for Khosrau at the Battle of Zab in 591. Khosrau was now personally indebted to the Byzantine emperor Maurice and so with his rear secure <sorry, I just had to highlight that one> he concentrated on defeating the Avars. However his stern discipline provoked a mutiny and he was murdered by the usurper Phocas. Khosrau then declared a war of vengeance against the murderer of his benefactor bringing Byzantium close to disaster so enabling Heraclius to overthrow Phocas. In a war of two decades Heraclius took Byzantium from the brink of collapse to the point where the Sassanids were forced to make terms in 628. These long years of warfare had almost no significant result - except to leave both the Sassanid and the Byzantine Empires exhausted.

but wait, there's more:

At least the Byzantines no longer had to worry about the Avars who had lost control over their Slav vassals but as these Slav tribes had overrun all the Balkans (including most of Greece) this did not help the Byzantines much and their only really sizable territory was Anatolia.

Though the Byzantine Emperor's rule over Rome was becoming more and more nominal he still expected the pope to jump as if he had. When Leo the Isaurian fearing that Arab victories could be due to their abhorrence of idolatry ordered the destruction of icons around 730.

don't donate to Wikipedia just yet, we have more to offer:

The decline of the Seljuks proceeded sufficiently that the Abbasid Khalifate managed to establish secular rule in Mesopotamia. The defeat of the Fatamid Caliph would have made the Abbasids sole Khalifs were it not that Almohads had replaced the Almoravids in the west and had proclaimed themselves as a Khalifate. The change in rulers might have had an effect on the lives of Berber women (amongst the Berbers the Koran had not been interpreted as insisting on the veil - the Almohads disagreed) but had little effect in Spain where the Christian kingdoms continued to advance towards the South. They were however notable patrons of philosophers and of Averroes in particular who is said to have sown the seeds of the Renaissance.

Just when the article peters out around the year 1380, there is hope for more knowledge to be written about the History of West Eurasia:

Industrial Revolution
This short section requires expansion.

Modern times
This short section requires expansion.

Thank God this article was saved. It brings new meaning to information that craves freedom!

Greg

LamontStormstar
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 7:07am) *

According to popular culture, "Asia" only refers to where people who ethnically Mongloid/Oriental originate, which is Southeast Asia and various islands along there. And that every thing else like USSR's area, middle east, west asia, south asia, etc. are not part of Asia.
thekohser
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 11:31am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 7:07am) *

According to popular culture, "Asia" only refers to where people who ethnically Mongloid/Oriental originate, which is Southeast Asia and various islands along there. And that every thing else like USSR's area, middle east, west asia, south asia, etc. are not part of Asia.

Don't miss the forest for the trees, Lamont.

Have you read the excerpts? Read 'em. Do you think they're well-written, or do they look like the meanderings-cum-junior-high-book-report of a single-track mind who doesn't have much experience with English?

Do you think that most of this tripe could be sufficiently included with the already-existing Histories of the Mediterranean region, or Europe, or Middle East, or North Africa?

Honestly, I'm glad this article stayed put -- it will make good fodder for Mimbo Jimbo.

Greg
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 8:07am) *

Thank God this article was saved. It brings new meaning to information that craves freedom!

Greg

The article passages are densely populated with [[wp:admin |pretense]] as the population of [[rice]] cultivating [[delta]] regions of [[South East Asia]] whose culture climaxed in the [[Khmer Dynasty]]. Vocabulary is showcased in the fashion bringing to mind the intrusive nature of the technology utilized by some antiquity archives which provide gadgetry and artifact that overshadows the presentation of most fundamental of our founding documents as documented in the popular [[2004]] [[Hollywood]] film [[National Treasure]] in which [[Nicolas Cage]] the nephew of [[Francis Coppola]] of [[It’s a Wonder Life]] fame. The passage in constantly [[punctuation | punctuated]] with side references of no apparent value other than the [[masturbation]]-like<ref>see our fine selection of articles on auto-erotic and other partner-less sexuality topics</ref> gratification of the editor at the cost of coherent [[narrative structure]].
thekohser
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 3:46pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 8:07am) *

Greg

The article passages are densely populated with [[wp:admin |pretense]] as the population of [[rice]] cultivating [[delta]] regions of [[South East Asia]] whose culture climaxed in the [[Khmer Dynasty]]. Vocabulary is showcased in the fashion bringing to mind the intrusive nature of the technology utilized by some antiquity archives which provide gadgetry and artifact that overshadows the presentation of most fundamental of our founding documents as documented in the popular [[2004]] [[Hollywood]] film [[National Treasure]] in which [[Nicolas Cage]] the nephew of [[Francis Coppola]] of [[It’s a Wonder Life]] fame. The passage in constantly [[punctuation | punctuated]] with side references of no apparent value other than the [[masturbation]]-like<ref>see our fine selection of articles on auto-erotic and other partner-less sexuality topics</ref> gratification of the editor at the cost of coherent [[narrative structure]].

Thank you, GBG. You fully understand the horror.

I have a new policy for editing new content in Wikipedia -- I'm going to run it through a web-based English-to-French (or Spanish, or German) translator, then back again to English. Only that by-product will be allowed into Wikipedia.

To mimic from scratch the [[History of West Eurasia]] prose would be too laborious. The translator will be simple and effective.

Greg
guy
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 23rd October 2007, 4:31pm) *

Not in Europe. People keep saying that we can't admit Turkey to the European Union because it's mostly in Asia. And indeed, that area is often known as Asia Minor.
The Joy
I used to edit articles on the Indian military. They were usually done in such a way that they had to have been put in a Indian-to-English translator. The article was so confusing as to who was who and where the divisions were based, I just threw my hands up in despair. Almost every paragraph on one article kept saying "The General of the Army is General Ramalamadingdong (I can't remember the man's name)." After a while, I got sick of that general. I imagine some in the Indian government are weary of him too!

Having a degree in History, I am often taken aback by WP articles like History of West Eurasia.
thekohser
I have to say that this editor summed up the problem rather nicely:

So, is everyone agreed that North Africa (note, on the continent of Africa) is certainly a part of "western Eurasia" (Eurasia being the continents of Europe and Asia, but not Africa). Thus, Eurasia does not include any of Africa, but western Eurasia will be defined to include North Africa. This is a correct resolution to the problem? - Areateeth 17:58, 21 October 2007 (UTC)

I, too, have trouble understanding this apparent acceptance of a falsehood in Wikipedia. It would be like saying that Prince Edward Island is not a part of the United States, but Prince Edward Island is a part of the "Eastern United States".

Areateeth made an excellent point, and what did he get for his trouble? An indefinite block.

They really are idiots over on Wikipedia.

Greg
Moulton
I love dry humor.

That way I don't have to worry about peeing in my pants from uncontrollable laughter.
Emperor
This is top ten list type of material. Good stuff.
Cedric
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 17th December 2007, 2:50pm) *

I love dry humor.

That way I don't have to worry about peeing in my pants from uncontrollable laughter.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Did I miss something? Would not "West Eurasia" be, uh, well, Europe?

Sheer idiocy, or a brilliant "rebranding" ploy? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.