Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "It's time for this thread to be archived."
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
LamontStormstar
When a thread grows too controversial......

"It's time for this thread to be archived." http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=167490093

Basically, burrying the thread and fooling themselves into thinking it won't come back.
zscout370
Another typical thing I am seeing lately is to make subpages on the noticeboards. In about 2 and a half weeks, about 4 or 5 discussions I was involved with was immediately put into a subpage after open for about a day or so. Two dealt with copyright issues, 1 dealt with mentorship, 1 dealt with editing issues and the last one dealt with Milotpia's block.
LamontStormstar
Sounds like making subpages is to hide them. But making subpages makes them linger on forever.
zscout370
Agreed. I even was asked to deal with one subpage, if it would be deleted or not. I frankly have no idea about what to do it with, but knowing some of the folks on the site, they will probably linger.
Amarkov
Making subpages can at least be defended; they are reducing the size of the noticeboard. There's no excuse for trying to force an end to a discussion by putting on a template.
Viridae
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Sun 28th October 2007, 3:09pm) *

Making subpages can at least be defended; they are reducing the size of the noticeboard. There's no excuse for trying to force an end to a discussion by putting on a template.

Reduction in the size of a ridiculously busy noticeboard is the reason they get moved to a sub page.
LessHorrid vanU
I think I might of started the trend of moving large topics to a subpage on WP(this one?). It certainly wasn't with the intention of hiding them. My only (unaddressed) problem is how to keep the marker active on the original page, for the benefit of infrequent visitors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.