Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikia vs. Playboy?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
What do you all think about Wikia's terms of service:

Any use you make of content hosted by Wikia, Inc. must be in line with the terms of that wiki's license. All Wikia are available under the GNU Free Documentation License. Memory Alpha is available under a Creative Commons license.

Any content you upload or post to any Wikia, Inc. wiki must be compatible with the relevant license (for example, the GFDL for any Wikia, or the relevant CC license for other wikis), not violate another person's intellectual property or infringe on any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, or other proprietary rights. No content shall be added which violates any applicable law, including local, state, national, and international laws.

...specifically, how they relate to these pages:

Quarterbacks: Who Has the Hottest Girlfriend?

25 Hottest Sports Wives

Do you think the images being used there might infringe on any copyright? I think so. But, since this is just a harrassment and attackkkkkk site, nobody over at Wikia could possibly benefit from my pointing it out to them.

Greg

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 2nd November 2007, 12:56pm) *

Any use you make of content hosted by Wikia, Inc. must be in line with the terms of that wiki's license. All Wikia are available under the GNU Free Documentation License. Memory Alpha is available under a Creative Commons license.

Any content you upload or post to any Wikia, Inc. wiki must be compatible with the relevant license (for example, the GFDL for any Wikia, or the relevant CC license for other wikis), not violate another person's intellectual property or infringe on any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, or other proprietary rights. No content shall be added which violates any applicable law, including local, state, national, and international laws.

25 Hottest Sports Wives

Do you think the images being used there might infringe on any copyright? I think so. But, since this is just a harrassment and attackkkkkk site, nobody over at Wikia could possibly benefit from my pointing it out to them.

Greg

That is the first I've heard of Memory Alpha. It must be a site acquired by Wikia after they committed to a license. It is not correct that CC licenses do not permit commercial uses. There are many variants of the CC license, some of do permit commercial uses. This flexibility stand in sharp contrast to the rigid nature of GNU. Probably Memory Alpha's variant does not permit commercial use. Perhaps there should be an Mammary Alpha.
guy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 2nd November 2007, 6:56pm) *

Where's Louise Redknapp?
blissyu2
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 3rd November 2007, 5:56am) *

25 Hottest Sports Wives

Greg

Actually I should correct you that as of the findings in the recently concluded Wikipedia Arbitration case on Attack Sites, Wikipedia Review is no longer considered to be an attack site. Depending on what happens with their new policy Wikipedia: Linking to external harassment we may be considered to be a harassing site however, but who knows.

The photos come from all over the place, not just from Playboy (perhaps 2 or 3 at most are from Playboy). But you are right that few of them seem to be free images.

Wikia might need to check the copyright status of a lot of their projects for this kind of thing.

What kind of legal trouble could Wikia be in if they don't deal with it?
Robster
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 2nd November 2007, 3:19pm) *

That is the first I've heard of Memory Alpha. It must be a site acquired by Wikia after they committed to a license. It is not correct that CC licenses do not permit commercial uses. There are many variants of the CC license, some of do permit commercial uses. This flexibility stand in sharp contrast to the rigid nature of GNU. Probably Memory Alpha's variant does not permit commercial use. Perhaps there should be an Mammary Alpha.

From the history on the site... Memory Alpha was founded in 2003 as a subsite of Trek fan site "Star Trek Minutiae", moved to server space donated by Erik Moeller in 2004 (shortly after a Mediawiki upgrade wiped out the live database and a 6-week-old backup was restored), and then moved again to Wikia in early 2005.

I think your theory is right - since Memory Alpha existed for 14 months prior to moving to Wikia, they had already established a lot of content under the CC license. Would they have been able to switch from CC to GFDL in mid-stream?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Robster @ Fri 2nd November 2007, 7:29pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 2nd November 2007, 3:19pm) *

From the history on the site... Memory Alpha was founded in 2003 as a subsite of Trek fan site "Star Trek Minutiae", moved to server space donated by Erik Moeller in 2004 (shortly after a Mediawiki upgrade wiped out the live database and a 6-week-old backup was restored), and then moved again to Wikia in early 2005.

I think your theory is right - since Memory Alpha existed for 14 months prior to moving to Wikia, they had already established a lot of content under the CC license. Would they have been able to switch from CC to GFDL in mid-stream?

I don't see how. It would upset the expectations of the editors who contributed in the belief that no commercial use would be permitted. Maybe they could change the rules for brand new articles. Maybe they could get releases permitting commercial use from all editors of some of the previous articles. It would basically be a nightmare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.