Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The view from Wikinfo
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Taxwoman
At least one person on Wikinfo would agree with many here:

How did they do it? My opinion - it might be likened to politics, where an editor calls up a friend, and calls in a favor. His method - he uses several screen names and is careful not to use more than one in a single article. He encourages friends of his several screen names to get involved in an AfD. Some have called wikipedia a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game (MMORG) where you win when your point of view overwhelms your opponent who shouldn't have volunteered his opposition, anyway. You use communication lines outside of discussion pages. For a high school student, it is a big win to overcome your adult (or expert) opponent. You have raised your voice higher than an adult or expert. The validity of the information is trivial compared to winning against an adult / expert. I think I would characterize it as a Massive Multiplayer Online Political Game. In a game like that, it only makes sense to maintain several screen names, each with a circle of friends, else how can you quash your opponents? Terryeo 06:41, 30 October 2007 (EDT)

http://www.internet-encyclopedia.org/index...es_at_Wikipedia
LamontStormstar
I clicked on this thread earlier and it vanished. Appeared to be deleted. I then asked Somey what was in it. Well now it's back.

Kato
This comment made me laugh:
QUOTE(Terryeo)
Boy do I agree with you, Fred! Every gram of knowledge is somebody's opinion, or an agreement of opinions. Even the Supreme Court of the USA, arguably a most reputable opinion, has changed interpretation of their fixed document, the Constitution, a time or two.

Is that true? Is every gram of knowledge simply "somebody's opinion" and an "agreement of opinions"? (rhetorically asked of course)

And is the Supreme Court of the USA, "arguably a most reputable opinion"? Not being particularly familiar with the various U.S. constitutional habits, I was quite surprised to learn that people considered this political institution to be reputable at all, let alone that it represented some notion of authority on the Universe.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 3rd November 2007, 5:53pm) *

QUOTE(Terryeo)

Boy do I agree with you, Fred! Every gram of knowledge is somebody's opinion, or an agreement of opinions. Even the Supreme Court of the USA, arguably a most reputable opinion, has changed interpretation of their fixed document, the Constitution, a time or two.

Is that true? Is every gram of knowledge simply "somebody's opinion" and an "agreement of opinions"? (rhetorically asked of course)

And is the Supreme Court of the USA, "arguably a most reputable opinion"? Not being particularly familiar with the various U.S. constitutional habits, I was quite surprised to learn that people considered this political institution to be reputable at all, let alone that it represented some notion of authority on the Universe.

Knowledge is not measured in grams, but many opianions are measured in gram-atoms, except for the opianions of the ArbCom, which are measured in tetra-gram-atoms, ¬2b≈ neon-tetra-gram-atoms, which is another kettle of φish entirely.

Jonny cool.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 3rd November 2007, 3:53pm) *

QUOTE(Terryeo)

Wiki-Wiki-Bill-of-Rights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.