Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why an expert template?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
D. Impersonator
What is the function of [[template:expert]]? It is a request for an expert to review an article. I thought Wikipedia didn't believe in getting experts to improve articles?
The Joy
They want experts, but when an expert comes along and tries to correct an article, they're accused of having a "conflict of interest" and are "encouraged" to edit articles outside of their specialty.

The only way an expert's analysis on any given article can stand is if consensus agrees with him. But since consensus can change, it does make the exercise rather pointless.

Just ask Jonny about the C.S. Peirce article. He and others spent a considerable amount of time trying to get that article up to a high standard only for others to interfere and ruin everything.
Poetlister
Yes, experts are fine so long as nobody disagrees with them.
D.A.F.
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 8th November 2007, 5:54pm) *

They want experts, but when an expert comes along and tries to correct an article, they're accused of having a "conflict of interest" and are "encouraged" to edit articles outside of their specialty.

The only way an expert's analysis on any given article can stand is if consensus agrees with him. But since consensus can change, it does make the exercise rather pointless.

Just ask Jonny about the C.S. Peirce article. He and others spent a considerable amount of time trying to get that article up to a high standard only for others to interfere and ruin everything.

In paper, experts are needed for their enctclopedic knowledge of the subject, not their analysis tainting articles.
Amarkov
Wikipedia believes in getting experts to improve articles... just not so much actually listening to said experts. But without experts, who'd provide information for everyone else to argue over?
JohnA
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Fri 9th November 2007, 4:18am) *

Wikipedia believes in getting experts to improve articles... just not so much actually listening to said experts. But without experts, who'd provide information for everyone else to argue over?

I read Usenet a lot, so the answer would appear to be "teh voices in my head"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.