Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hermenauts Unmoored In Semiotic Storms
> Wikimedia Discussion > Meta Discussion
Jonny Cache
Moulton mentions several themes that I've mentioned several times myself. Analyzing system dysfunctionalities is one of the things that systems analyzers, designers, engineers, modelers, and theoreticians are supposed to do, so maybe that would be a good thing to think about under this heading.

Gotta run to a meeting …

Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 14th November 2007, 10:23pm) *

A couple of generations ago, Marshall McLuhan observed that "the medium is the message".

Behind the mainspace articles at Wikipedia there is the medium of the process in the talk pages, in the policy pages, and in the noticeboard pages.

To my mind, the product is less significant than the process. After all, Wikipedia is hardly the only source of encyclopedic information. But it's one of the best sources of the otherwise hidden processes.

The process is a political one, often erratic, at times contentious and corrosive. For some of us, the process is disappointing, dispiriting, and alienating.

But the saddest part of all is that the manifest dysfunctionality also appears to be hopelessly irremediable.

Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 15th November 2007, 10:10am) *

Moulton mentions several themes that I've mentioned several times myself. Analyzing system dysfunctionalities is one of the things that systems analyzers, designers, engineers, modelers, and theoreticians are supposed to do, so maybe that would be a good thing to think about under this heading.

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 14th November 2007, 10:23pm) *

A couple of generations ago, Marshall McLuhan observed that "the medium is the message".

Behind the mainspace articles at Wikipedia there is the medium of the process in the talk pages, in the policy pages, and in the noticeboard pages.

To my mind, the product is less significant than the process. After all, Wikipedia is hardly the only source of encyclopedic information. But it's one of the best sources of the otherwise hidden processes.

The process is a political one, often erratic, at times contentious and corrosive. For some of us, the process is disappointing, dispiriting, and alienating.

But the saddest part of all is that the manifest dysfunctionality also appears to be hopelessly irremediable.

I was going to accuse Rue Moulton of wikiplaugerism, but really, it's only Wikipediots who have those kinds of elusions about my ORiginality. Every one of these themes has been harped on, often bluely, and even harpooned on, for many moons, often blue.

Medium/Message

Process/Product

Reality/Popularity

So what can we do to epistem off — this time — Baaabeee !?

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
If the manifest dysfunctionality is hopelessly irremediable, then about all I can imagine to do with the lamentable situation is to artlessly croon about it in poignantly vogonic Dithyrambic Vexameter.
Jonny Cache

I open my scuttle at night and see the far-sprinkled systems,
And all I see, multiplied as high as I can cipher, edge but
    the rim of the farther systems.

— Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, p. 81
— Cf. Jon Awbrey, "Differential Logic and Dynamic Systems"

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 16th November 2007, 12:53pm) *

If the manifest dysfunctionality is hopelessly irremediable, then about all I can imagine to do with the lamentable situation is to artlessly croon about it in poignantly vogonic Dithyrambic Vexameter.

No, I have seen a great many systems go belly↑ in φishbowls both practical and theoretical, and sure, we can get some jollies writhing Dunious Elegies to the Dearly Departed or the Gratefully Dead, as the case may be, but there is more to do about their Suite Nadas, and that is to learn from What Went Wrong (W³).

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
To my mind, what went wrong is that the current generation of Homo Schleppians once again reprised Humanity's Oldest Logic Error (HOLE) in the process of trying to craft a workable regulatory system.

So, the Powers that Pee have a HOLE in their head.

What else is new under the glum?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 16th November 2007, 2:06pm) *

To my mind, what went wrong is that the current generation of Homo Schleppians once again reprised Humanity's Oldest Logic Error (HOLE) in the process of trying to craft a workable regulatory system.

So, the Powers that Pee have a HOLE in their head.

What else is new under the glum?

I have another theory.

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 16th November 2007, 1:07pm) *
I have another theory.

Cool.

Let's array our respective theories side by side and see if we can NP:Synthesize a functional model of Wikipedia's Woeful Waywardness.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 16th November 2007, 2:27pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 16th November 2007, 1:07pm) *

I have another theory.

Cool.

Let's array our respective theories side by side and see if we can NP:Synthesize a functional model of Wikipedia's Woeful Waywardness.

Zounds Goot !!!

Jonny cool.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 16th November 2007, 1:56pm) *

— Cf. Jon Awbrey, “Differential Logic and Dynamic Systems”

Summer Re*Runs Already !?

Jon noooo.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 27th May 2010, 2:11pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 16th November 2007, 1:56pm) *

— Cf. Jon Awbrey, “Differential Logic and Dynamic Systems”

Summer Re*Runs Already !?

Jon noooo.gif

That is an interest quote. I don't believe that science could have known at that time that what Whitman said was true, or was astronomy more advanced at that time than I thought?
ulsterman
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 27th May 2010, 9:49pm) *

That is an interest quote. I don't believe that science could have known at that time that what Whitman said was true, or was astronomy more advanced at that time than I thought?

I'm far from clear what Whitman means. If he's saying that there are galaxies going off into the forever then he was out of date. It was a view that was espoused by Kant. However, it was out of fashion in Whitman's time and only revived in the 1920s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.