Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Son of BADSITES
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Herschelkrustofsky
Has anyone heretofore commented on Wikipedia: Linking to External Harassment?
The Joy
I can't remember specifics, but I have seen some comments removed and editors blocked under that "proposed" policy.

I thought it was a real policy, though, not just a proposal. Of course, some already think it's policy anyway.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 20th November 2007, 8:01pm) *

It is a complex multifaceted approach. In an intellectually honest context that would be good. On WP it will be subject to manipulation and the distortion from the hidden calculus of influence in the dysfunctional social networking environment.
Somey
Well, I guess it's nice that they provide their internal definition of the word "harassment" (boldface mine):
...information that is offensive, aggressive, or contrary to our policies and guidelines.
Of course, most traditional dictionaries define the word somewhat differently. However, true to form, Wikipedia's definition is the broadest:
Harassment refers to a wide spectrum of offensive behavior.
Good ol' Wikipedia - always ready with the vague and equivocal when the cabal's gotta have it!
Amarkov
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 20th November 2007, 5:10pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 20th November 2007, 8:01pm) *

It is a complex multifaceted approach. In an intellectually honest context that would be good. On WP it will be subject to manipulation and the distortion from the hidden calculus of influence in the dysfunctional social networking environment.

There's really no need to manipulate anything with this. It's easy enough to just cite things that appear to uncritically support your view, when the context is ignored.
Herschelkrustofsky
And now there's this discussion on the wikien-l list. JzG is encountering a surprising number of skeptics.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 21st November 2007, 1:01am) *

Note how they have to qualify "external," harassment of regular editors by administrators and arbitrators being not only acceptable, but laudable.

Seriously, if outing someone and hosting attacks on them is harassment, then arbitrators should stop doing it. Otherwise, all they're really saying is that who gets harassed should rightly be up to them.
Viridae
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 29th November 2007, 6:38pm) *

And now there's this discussion on the wikien-l list. JzG is encountering a surprising number of skeptics.

Well said by Mangoe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.