Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self-Promoting Right-Wing Blogger Whines About Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Avidor
Right-wing blogger Mitch Berg Complains about COI and Notability tags on his article about his radio show "The Northern Alliance Radio Network". The so-called network is really an afternoon show on Saturdays on one station in Minnesota.

This article was written in August of 2005. In over two years, there wasn't a single question about the article's notability.

The "notability" criteria as applied here (and as I noted in my remarks below) are fairly myopic. The Northern Alliance is a new media outlet, composed of new media figures. To say its references are primarily on blogs and forums - new media, by definition - doesn't establish notability ignores the context; the program has interviewed Presidential candidates (Mitt Romney), governors, A-list pundits, and so on.

As far as point of view goes - nobody has shown any examples of point of view or conflict of interest in the piece. Any luck so far?

Finally - as I noted below, I've largely abandoned Wikipedia; trying to edit anything remotely political draws a horde of Kossacks; Wikipedia is in the process of marginalizing itself, at least when anything remotely political is at issue. So it's interesting that after two years without a single comment, the"notability" and "conflict" tags pop up within weeks after a couple of regional leftybloggers wrote a tittery article about my Wikipedia edits.

I'd say that a radio network that has only one slot on one day is a problem as far as notability... especially when the website listed on the page for the so-called network no longer works.

But, Mitch Berg and the NARN is featured this month in a Brady Bunch parody in the radio station's magazine... so it has to be notable and there aren't any conflicts of interest... right?

FORUM Image

the fieryangel
What people don't realize is that it's actually better to be considered non-notable and to have your article axed, rather than to have to live with your article being full of nasty things about you.

If I were this guy, I'd get myself a sock and start my own AfD....
Yehudi
It's a classical syllogism:

- Wikipedia has no notable critics; only destructive trolls attack Wikipedia.

- This person has attacked Wikipedia.

Ergo:

- This person cannot be notable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.