Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So is this where the drama is?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
east.718
I figured since I'm getting mentioned here I've earned my admin stripes and might as well join.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sat 24th November 2007, 2:03pm) *

I figured since I'm getting mentioned here I've earned my admin stripes and might as well join.

So this thread is about you joining WR?
east.718
Now it is. I guess someone should bounce this over to Editors.
Derktar
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sat 24th November 2007, 11:07am) *

Well, points for the SNES controller avatar.

Also, welcome to the Review.
D.A.F.
And point for this.

Is there someone who is keeping with the admin counts? How many are now members of WR?
Derktar
QUOTE(Xidaf @ Sat 24th November 2007, 1:03pm) *

And point for this.

Is there someone who is keeping with the admin counts? How many are now members of WR?

I remember counting up one rainy day and there are at least 15, but I'm sure there are many more than that that I haven't bothered to check (the number includes those that are admins and those that have been desysopped).
KamrynMatika
No, the drama is here, here and right now here-ish.
Selina
Plenty more covert I'm sure, Wikipedia has a history of persecuting anyone even vaguely associated with this site. I think somewhere we have a warning about that...

See former admins Everyking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...nship/Everyking
James sometimes comments on Wikipedia Review, a forum for criticism and discussion of Wikipedia, frequented by a number of people banned from Wikipedia as well as some Wikipedians in good standing. Though critical of many aspects of Wikipedia administration, James's main contribution to that forum has been in defending Wikipedia and correcting misconceptions on how it works. In one thread on the forum a person was curious about the contents of a deleted revision of an article. James responded saying he didn't see anything interesting about that revision but suggested he might post it. The person in question then asked for the revision but James, realizing he had made a mistake in offering it, didn't post it and let the matter drop. Some days later the Arbitration Committee was informed of the exchange and decided to desysop James for it. Though naturally disappointed with the result, James has not let it stop him from continuing his usual sterling encyclopedic work on subjects such as contemporary African politics and early Anglo-Saxon history.

, Karmafist and I think a few others, I can't really remember I haven't really been involved much for a while

So yeah just be careful that's all I'm saying. It's probably better to make a new account and not reveal who you are if you want to say anything even slightly dissenting from the group mind's views.
jorge
QUOTE(Derktar @ Sat 24th November 2007, 7:11pm) *

That's Super Famicom for our non European readers.
Selina
FORUM Image
Derktar
QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 24th November 2007, 1:38pm) *

Ah quite right, apologies!
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sat 24th November 2007, 1:07pm) *

No sorry! (and welcome)

You only get your own editor section if you make lots of trouble and abuse people. smile.gif

Try harder. wink.gif Just kidding.
jorge
QUOTE(Derktar @ Sat 24th November 2007, 9:43pm) *

QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 24th November 2007, 1:38pm) *

Ah quite right, apologies!

Actually I was wrong sad.gif It is very confusing as the USA version was also called Super Nintendo Entertainment System/SNES but had a different square body. The japanese had the same more attractive curved body of the European version but was called the Super Family Computer/Super Famicom. wacko.gif
Derktar
QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 24th November 2007, 2:36pm) *

Actually I was wrong sad.gif It is very confusing as the USA version was also called Super Nintendo Entertainment System/SNES but had a different square body. The japanese had the same more attractive curved body of the European version but was called the Super Family Computer/Super Famicom. :wacko:

No, you were right, it is known as the Super Famicom (Family computer) in Japan, and a different name in Korea as well.
jorge
QUOTE(Derktar @ Sat 24th November 2007, 10:40pm) *

No, you were right, it is known as the Super Famicom (Family computer) in Japan, and a different name in Korea as well.

Ah yes the "Super Comboy " laugh.gif
Somey
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sat 24th November 2007, 1:03pm) *

Might as well. Why postpone the inevitable?

Dang, THAT was the blurb phrase I was trying to think of! blink.gif
WhispersOfWisdom
I do believe this is the place all over the place! Welcome and thank you for being a human being.

I came here for my true and humble respect for the brainpower behind the individuals here and their collective consciousness. I have not been disappointed.

You have some of the best of the best from WP, excluding me, because I was never smart enough to be a contributing editor there. Whoops, I did write about alcoholism (using my album name) albeit, then I was banned as a puppet of myself, even though I was never there personally as myself. Someone by the name of Isotope23 deleted me after I wrote to Jimmy and requested that they get the person that was impersonating me off the air.

Enough said. Welcome.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 24th November 2007, 11:54pm) *

I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about.
thekohser
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sat 24th November 2007, 2:03pm) *

I've had my eye on you for a few days, east.718. I was building a case that you were a Durova sycophant/meatpuppet. Either that, or a process uber-wonk. Am I basically correct, or have you changed your stripes in the past 24 hours?

Regardless, I'm always willing to listen and talk to someone brave enough to enter here at WR. Welcome!

Greg
Jonny Cache
Welcome,

As the Anti-Janitor In Chief of The Wikipedia Review I'll be the one with the vacuum cleaner switched on reverse — I make The Wikipedia Review not suck, as it were — hurling a constant stream of chalk dust, cigarette butts, dust bunnies, and used condoms in yer face. Don't take it personal, it's just so yer buddies back in Wikipukia don't feel like yer getting too cozy with us. It's a dirty job, but somebuddy's gotta do it.

Jonny cool.gif
Derktar
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 24th November 2007, 5:58pm) *

Ah yes the "Super Comboy " laughing.gif

I temporarily derailed the thread, and at the risk of doing so again I'll answer your question briefly. The controller in his avatar is a part of a video game console known as the Super Famicom in Japan, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in America (and Europe I believe), and the Super Comboy in Korea.

Welcome,

As the Anti-Janitor In Chief of The Wikipedia Review I'll be the one with the vacuuum cleaner switched on reverse — I make The Wikipedia Review not suck, as it were — hurling a constant stream of chalk dust, cigarette butts, dust bunnies, and used condoms in yer face. Don't take it personal, it's just so yer buddies back in Wikipukia don't feel like yer getting too cozy with us. It's a dirty job, but somebuddy's gotta do it.

Stick close with Jonny and you'll be safe on Wikipedia.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Derktar @ Sat 24th November 2007, 11:13pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 24th November 2007, 5:58pm) *

I temporarily derailed the thread, and at the risk of doing so again I'll answer your question briefly. The controller in his avatar is a part of a video game console known as the Super Famicom in Japan, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in America (and Europe I believe), and the Super Comboy in Korea.

Welcome,

As the Anti-Janitor In Chief of The Wikipedia Review I'll be the one with the vacuuum cleaner switched on reverse — I make The Wikipedia Review not suck, as it were — hurling a constant stream of chalk dust, cigarette butts, dust bunnies, and used condoms in yer face. Don't take it personal, it's just so yer buddies back in Wikipukia don't feel like yer getting too cozy with us. It's a dirty job, but somebuddy's gotta do it.

Stick close with Jonny and you'll be safe on Wikipedia.

I'm glad you explained that, cause I was busting my brain in a Sleuth Of Despond over the Mystical Magdalenesque Meaning of an avatar that looks like a Home Pregnancy Test that came out +

Jonny cool.gif
east.718
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 24th November 2007, 9:52pm) *
I've had my eye on you for a few days, east.718. I was building a case that you were a Durova sycophant/meatpuppet. Either that, or a process uber-wonk. Am I basically correct, or have you changed your stripes in the past 24 hours?

Regardless, I'm always willing to listen and talk to someone brave enough to enter here at WR. Welcome!

Greg

Considering I've been going for Durova's head, I would hardly consider myself her sycophant. I am but a humble admin with a silly userpage who rides alone.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sat 24th November 2007, 7:03pm) *

More and more Wikipedia editors are joining Wikipedia Review. The first reason is because this site has a higher profile and as it's read more, it has a greater influence on what goes on at Wikipedia. Just last night, I found a scathing post of mine quoted there (though without attribution) within hours. Another aspect is that discussion is a lot more tightly regulated at Wikipedia than it used to be. It's commonplace now for editors to be blocked for opposing RfAs, questioning administrators' actions, expressing contrary opinions on policy pages, and other things which when I joined in 2004 would have been considered part of what made the Wikipedia experience feel relatively liberal and enlightened.

Finally, Wikipedia's leadership has made it a perverse point of principle to never under any circumstances admit error or offer credible paths for the redress of its excesses.

It's natural, then, that we gather here, where we're outside of the control of an increasingly unbearable, unaccountable, incompetent and morally bankrupt leadership.
thekohser
QUOTE(east.718 @ Sun 25th November 2007, 12:40am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 24th November 2007, 9:52pm) *

Greg

Considering I've been going for Durova's head, I would hardly consider myself her sycophant. I am but a humble admin with a silly userpage who rides alone.

Okay. I'm no "wiki sleuth" (more of a "sloth", really), so I'll buy your argument. I guess I was just thinking that you were kind of hiding things, and you aligned yourself with the "it was one mistake, let's move on" camp.

Anyway, I can't hold a grudge, since I'm laughing so hard at Guy Chapman's activity on the Swalwell article. That Guy literally is a laugh an hour.

Greg
Miltopia
Just a laugh an hour? Shame on you for not giving Guy the full credit he deserves ;-)

You make a good first impression, east. I like your userpage, and this is quite clever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:East718/NaCl

Would that all Wikipedia admins could demonstrate a little wit, or take themselves as seriously...
Moulton
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 25th November 2007, 1:21am) *
It's commonplace now for editors to be blocked for opposing RfAs, questioning administrators' actions, expressing contrary opinions on policy pages, and other things which when I joined in 2004 would have been considered part of what made the Wikipedia experience feel relatively liberal and enlightened.

Finally, Wikipedia's leadership has made it a perverse point of principle to never under any circumstances admit error or offer credible paths for the redress of its excesses.

The absence of a functional process for the correction of errors and the redress of grievance could well be a fatal flaw in Wikipedia. Nor is there any evidence that the problem is being addressed in a responsible manner. Yesterday's episode with Jimbo vs. Giano indicates a regression toward increasingly immature and unbecoming regulatory practices.

It's natural, then, that we gather here, where we're outside of the control of an increasingly unbearable, unaccountable, incompetent and morally bankrupt leadership.

The flip side of that lament is that Wikipedia offers the world a remarkble fishbowl where we can observe, chronicle, and measure the systemic dysfunctionality arising from a regressive dominance hierarchy operating at the lower rungs of the Kohlberg-Gilligan Ladder of Moral Reasoning.
dtobias
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 25th November 2007, 7:51am) *

The flip side of that lament is that Wikipedia offers the world a remarkble fishbowl where we can observe, chronicle, and measure the systemic dysfunctionality arising from a regressive dominance hierarchy operating at the lower rungs of the Kohlberg-Gilligan Ladder of Moral Reasoning.

Gilligan? Has it got an island then?

Moulton
We're the Castaways.
Robster
OK, let's send this thread off to the giggle works...

We can cast Selina as Ginger and Jonny Cache as the Professor... I guess Somey would be the Skipper...

...but there's no way I'm going to cast anyone as Gilligan. smile.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 25th November 2007, 12:21am) *
More and more Wikipedia editors are joining Wikipedia Review. The first reason is because this site has a higher profile and as it's read more, it has a greater influence on what goes on at Wikipedia. Just last night, I found a scathing post of mine quoted there (though without attribution) within hours...

Y'know, to some extent this is actually somewhat inevitable. As Wikipedia becomes more insular and cultish, it becomes more difficult to gain the trust of their inner circle, and a lot easier to become disaffected - or even an enemy. Whereas it's fairly easy to join WR, and while we do seem to have an inner circle of sorts, why would anyone feel compelled to gain the trust of such a group? It's not like you can get big discounts on car insurance, like you can as a WP cabal member.

Nobody ever really makes note of this point, but there's almost unlimited growth potential in Wikipedia criticism, or if you prefer, Wikipedia-bashing. I don't think that's true of what Mr. Cache refers to as the ASOTAC* or what I call the "hard-core WP'ers." They would be wise to try and understand that, rather than set themselves apart further from their base constituency by lying and generally making up stupid shit all the time.

* Activist Subcabal Of The Administrative Cabal, in case you missed that one in the sea of acronyms
Moulton
The Alienation and Disaffection Program Pogrom of the WP Inner Power Cabal is in full swing, casting away a lot of tired, poor, huddled masses, many of whom wash up (or wash out) here.
wikiwhistle
Hi East 17, (sorry that's what I see when I read your name, smile.gif )

I'm new too, hope you enjoy your stay. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.