Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HONEST QUESTIONS GET NO ANSWERS (re:Oops)
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Durova
Disillusioned Lackey
Unanswered questions

This RFC is MOSTLY about transparency -vs- secrecy. There are some unanswered questions that I think the community has the need (and the right) to know.

1. What was the "secret evidence" that was emailed?

This is relevant to considering Durova's behavior. If the evidence was generally sound, it's less of a big deal. If the evidence was completely tenuous, it's a reason to question her judgment. The community has a right and a need to know which it is. The Enemies of the Project already have a copy, so there's no harm in letting the rest of us see it to-- either post it here, or people will wind up going to look for it at the BADSITES, and nobody wants that.

2. Precisely who was the secret evidence emailed to?

A full list of the names that the evidence was emailed to should be furnished. If Durova picked a representative sample of unbiased, respected admins, then that speaks to her credit. If she picked a select group which seemed predisposed to have an opinion, that suggests her judgment might be poor. The community needs to know which it is.

3. Person by person, what were the responses that Durova received back?

If everyone emailed back endorsing the block, Durova had good reason to suspect her logic was correct. If everyone emailed back opposing the block but Durova ignored them, that points to poor judgment. The community needs to know what the feedback was.

Relatedly, if anyone noticed the evidence was erroneous, they should be commended. If anyone endorsed the block, failing to see that the evidence was in error, we should know it, so that the community can devote a little more scrutiny to their judgment in the future, to prevent this sort of thing happening again.

These should be non-controversial requests for information. I trust answers will be forthcoming. Let me reiterate-- I see this more as what NASA does after a shuttle explodes-- not trying to question motives or assign blame, so much as seeing where the system broke down, and how it can be fixed. --Alecmconroy (talk) 13:07, 24 November 2007 (UTC)

(An aside- Hi Alec, just to say that that's not necessarily wholly what it's about, personally I just don't like someone acting as if they are above the rules, above using the huge amount of facilities we have for dispute resolution. Not just this block, but over several blocks. What went on behind the scenes isn't so important to me as how the other editor was treated. Although of course it was also a huge lack of assumption of good faith and a perceived belief that there are some editors who don't deserve civility, even if they aren't vandals or anything. I also wonder why Durova chose !! to pick on, was it just his name? If he were a sophisticated sleeper troll, he would have chosen a more insipid name. Anyway, everyone please answer Alec's questions.) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Merkinsmum (talk • contribs) 14:01, 24 November 2007 (UTC)

* Names? I know who some of those who received the "evidence" were, am I allowed to say? or will I be blocked again. Giano (talk) 14:18, 24 November 2007 (UTC)

It'd be better for Durova to do that, honestly, insofar as it will help us assess her stance on the whole opacity-vs-transparency. --Alecmconroy (talk) 14:30, 24 November 2007 (UTC)

Tick Tick Tick Tick

That was over 12 hours ago folks

Perfectly normal questions, that could be answered without any loss of privacy. Loss of face to Durova? Sure. But don't hold your breath for the answer. As in all of the Durova story, most of the discussion is taking place without her participation.
Moulton
A Fish Rots From the Head Down

In all likelihood, this is not the first time administrative actions have been coordinated back-channel rather than in the light of day, with a fair and open process.

If Durova is induced to come clean on the scope of her back-channel machinations, I expect other instances (involving other admins and other targeted editors) will also become subject to similar open airing.

I know there was back-channel traffic in my case, too. Very likely it was routine practice. But it's an inherently unfair practice, and one historically associated with corrupt regimes.

Eventually someone on the inside will have a pang of conscience and spill the beans.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 25th November 2007, 2:03am) *

Eventually someone on the inside will have a pang of conscience and spill the beans.

I almost wonder if the goal isn't to allow administrators to run afoul of the new zero-privacy policies, just to have something to hang over their heads in case they ever break ranks. Several otherwise decent and honorable people are probably far too concerned about their own precarious situations to stick their necks out too far for anybody else.

Less cynically, Durova's mind-numbingly stupid troll hunt is part of a broader campaign to fight back against banned editors who have done more than their fair share of sockpuppeting and trolling as well as serious violations of various administrators' privacy (for example, welcoming the likes of Amorrow, a mistake which led to understandable vilification of this site, and well-earned a permanent and influential enemy(s) in his victim(s).) Many members of the old guard, who feel victimized by this site, are loathe to show disloyalty to one who, however ineptly, has fought what to them is the good fight.

I find it impossible to believe that MONGO, Tom Harrison, Elinor D and SlimVirgin, for example (I leave out JzG as he seems be losing his sanity) think Durova's behavior is anything other than laughable and disgraceful. Yet, each of them have defended her, or downplayed her spectacular fuck-ups.

What they don't appreciate is that the damage to their collective credibility and influence far outweighs any good that Durova was doing them, or any sentiment she might be rightly owed. Thanks to Durova, the struggle against Wikipedia Review is seriously, possibly permanently, discredited, while anti-"attack sites" editors such as Dan Tobias, Alecmconroy and Cla68 (to name just a few) look more reasonable then ever.
Miltopia
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 25th November 2007, 8:05am) *

I find it impossible to believe that MONGO, Tom Harrison, Elinor D and SlimVirgin, for example (I leave out JzG as he seems be losing his sanity) think Durova's behavior is anything other than laughable and disgraceful. Yet, each of them have defended her, or downplayed her spectacular fuck-ups.

I don't know SlimVirgin very well, she just seems like a weepy histrionic pissy woman of little consequence, but (don't shoot!) general reasonableness, even if she is inept at fighting "trolling and harassment" and has a mired background. Tom harrison is also probably defending Durova for the reasons you're getting at, because he is a follower if there ever was one on Wikipedia. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an original thought from him.

But MONGO really is bonkers. I have no doubt he thinks Durova is some kind of hero - or worse, some kind of victim. I'm sure he means every word in her defense he says, even if he is bugging at the eyes and foaming at the mouth while typing it. Make no mistake, MONGO is fully on Durova's side, and anyone else who fuels his basket case semi-retarded crusading.
Moulton
The Sum of All Fears

As I model the two camps in this Agonistic Drama, one camp emulates Cain (Fear of Humiliation) while the other camp emulates Abel (Fear of Annihilation). As we all know, this classic drama invariably runs to tragedy, with both characters getting what they don't want.

Bloody Hell.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 25th November 2007, 3:03am) *

Gianno has already said that he knews the answers to all of the questions that he's asked (not these ones, but ones quite similar), but he's holding his cards until it's time to play 'em....

So, yes, the news will get out eventually....if Jimbo doesn't ban him first.
Moulton
There is an interesting word that comes to us from a language spoken in New Guinea.

Mokita means "the truth that every knows, but no one dares speak."

Eventually the mokita will come out into the light of day, with or without the assistance and rapt attention of the contributors here on WR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.