Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice things about Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Emperor
Someone just noted that we have 80 visitors now. Maybe it's a good time to reach out.

I'd like to use this thread to say only nice things about Wikipedia. Maybe we can get some participation from our Wikipedian friends and learn a few things. I'll start.

1) I like that you can edit anonymously, and without registering.

2) The MediaWiki software is great. I especially like the ability to get diffs quickly and easily, use the watchlist, and see other people's contributions.

3) Wikipedia doesn't cost anything and there are no ads.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 26th November 2007, 6:56pm) *

Someone just noted that we have 80 visitors now. Maybe it's a good time to reach out.

I'd like to use this thread to say only nice things about Wikipedia. Maybe we can get some participation from our Wikipedian friends and learn a few things. I'll start.

1) I like that you can edit anonymously, and without registering.

2) The MediaWiki software is great. I especially like the ability to get diffs quickly and easily, use the watchlist, and see other people's contributions.

3) Wikipedia doesn't cost anything and there are no ads.

Hey I know. Let's all get to know each other. As an icebreaker let's share our favorite Beatles in order of most to least favorite.

Mine: John, George, Ringo, Paul. You?
Emperor
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 26th November 2007, 7:02pm) *

Hey I know. Let's all get to know each other. As an icebreaker let's share our favorite Beatles in order of most to least favorite.

That's a pretty old question. I don't even know how to answer it. However I can tell you that my favorite Spice Girl is Posh.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 26th November 2007, 7:10pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 26th November 2007, 7:02pm) *

That's a pretty old question. I don't even know how to answer it. However I can tell you that my favorite Spice Girl is Posh.

Or Pokeman or Power Ranger. Oh darn it. I think I just said something bad about WP.
Derktar
People put a lot of time into the Military History articles, and it shows! I consider them among the best they have to offer.
Emperor
QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 26th November 2007, 7:29pm) *

People put a lot of time into the Military History articles, and it shows! I consider them among the best they have to offer.

I agree especially on some of the more obscure stuff you can occasionally find a gem that someone obviously poured a ton of effort into.
WordBomb
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 26th November 2007, 8:02pm) *

You dare rank Ringo ahead of Paul? Troll!
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 26th November 2007, 8:19pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 26th November 2007, 8:02pm) *

You dare rank Ringo ahead of Paul? Troll!

Paul? How can you sleep?
anthony
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 26th November 2007, 11:56pm) *

I'd like to use this thread to say only nice things about Wikipedia.

It's primarily free content.
Jonny Cache
Like I mentioned elsewhere, the English Wikipedia helps to heal the cultural rift between English-speaking peoples on both sides of the Pond by teaching us that the UK educational system cranks out just as many dimwits as the US educational system.

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
It doesn't try to make itself my homepage when I open it in Internet Explorer...? unsure.gif
D.A.F.
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 26th November 2007, 10:51pm) *

It doesn't try to make itself my homepage when I open it in Internet Explorer...? unsure.gif

Don't give them idea's. mad.gif smile.gif
thekohser
It provides an excellent reference point for other wikis who want to say, "We're like Wikipedia, except..."

D.A.F.

Yah, and some medical related articles too. I have assumed that a subject which is encyclopedic (very notable, not only Wikipedia notable) complex and has less potential of interesting POV pisher has the potential of being of better quality. This includes some science related article not involving pseudoscience potential or implying anything which could start another creationist evolutionist problems.

Complex enought to not attract ignorants and not having portential to attract editors who want to sell their sausage.

So any great works in this category is something positive for the project.
Moulton
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 26th November 2007, 7:38pm) *
I agree especially on some of the more obscure stuff you can occasionally find a gem that someone obviously poured a ton of effort into.

How would you rate the article on King John, the Magna Carta, and the ensuing battle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.