Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A response to Giano's letter to Greg K
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
I'm posting this here instead of in the "editors" forum because of the broader implications.

Giano posted this as a response to Greg K's call to write letters to the Editor on Kelly Martin's Blog:

Gregory,

I don't mean this rudely although it will probably sound it but it saddens me that you appear to want to bring down Wikipedia because you don't like Jimbo et al. It seems that you forget all the thousands of people who enjoy editing Wikipedia and the many millions more who use it free of charge on a daily basis. Kids all over the world in schools that can't afford the luxury of membership to expensive educational sites and libraries. Have you any idea of the cost of a set of Encyclopedia Britannica - and Wikipedia is better than that. Yes it has its faults and some rubbish on it but it also has some things of huge value, at very high academic level plus the content is improving all the time.

There is little point bringing down Wikipedia when there is nothing to replace it, citizendum is in it's infancy, and I suspect won't take off so long as it has it's strict rules which prevent even the most eminent editing anonymously. So please don't try and deter people from funding because in spite of all you may think. Wikipedia is succeeding in its mission "to provide free and open dissemination of knowledge to the world, in many languages".

So please whatever you think of the leadership don't keep trying to and discredit and destroy the project. There is freedom of speech and opinion there - look at me, I'm still there (just) and there are many others all working hard to fulfil that mission statement. I really ask you and your colleagues at Wikipedia Review to take a look at the larger global picture. It seems to me you are extending your dislike and mistrust of Jimbo into the project itself - and that really is not fair. A a child, every meal time, I was always told to think of the starving millions could we not extend that to the impoverished millions around the globe who truly need Wikipedia.

Bearing that in mind, I ask you to back off a little - who knows you may find it gives you a warm glow inside.

Sincerely

Giano

Giano,

I can't speak for everybody here, but I certainly have plenty of respect for you. I must say, however, that your idea that we aren't thinking of the impoverished millions around the globe is simply not true. We are thinking of them. However, there's one simple problem.

They deserve much better than the sham of knowledge that is Wikipedia. Wikipedia just isn't good enough. And the fact that it pretends that it is not only good enough, but the means of solving the World's problems means that it creates many more problems than it could ever fix.

So, in my humble opinion, it needs to go. If it is ever replaced, I would hope that it be replaced by a structure that would favor professional scholars, allow for peer review, original research and serious academic discussion. I would also hope that it would be replaced by an organization which is run by a reputable not-for-profit structure, not one that is hopeless entangled in a shadow for-profit controlling organization.

So, I hope that you will forgive us if we continue our work...and you continue yours. We hope that when you see what we have come to understand that you will join us here.

tfa
everyking
I think Giano is working off of some assumptions that originate from the anti-WR feelings of others. How many people here actually want to "bring down" Wikipedia? Does Kohs himself want that to happen? There are some people here who think WP is hopeless, yes, but I think most just want to see a greater or lesser degree of reform (myself favoring a lesser degree, comparatively speaking).
Moulton
I dunno that Wikipedia is hopeless, but based on the events of the past week, I'd say the vector is clearly in the wrong direction.

It will take new leadership to turn it around.

Whether that's a realistic possibility is beyond my powers to predict.
Jonny Cache
The usual brand of We Admins Are Wikipedia (WAAW) baby bawling that conveniently and persistently ignores what just about every critic of Wikipedia has been saying from square 1.

To Wit, Or Not, You Twits —

«You Are Not The Window, You Are The Blinds».

Jon Awbrey
anthony
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 27th November 2007, 5:23pm) *

I dunno that Wikipedia is hopeless, but based on the events of the past week, I'd say the vector is clearly in the wrong direction.

It will take new leadership to turn it around.

Whether that's a realistic possibility is beyond my powers to predict.

I've been thinking about this, and I think it'll take more than just new leadership, it'll take an entirely new structure. And it's probably going to take an entirely different fundraising mechanism to afford that new structure.

Think about what would happen if Facebook or Youtube had admins participating in amateur investigations on a similar secret mailing list hosted on Wikia servers. It would be outrageous, yet Facebook and Youtube are on the same magnitude in terms of website traffic.

People defending the secret mailing lists are saying that you can't ban admins from sending e-mail to each other, and they're right. To fix this, the Wikimedia Foundation is going to have to take charge of running Wikipedia, and they're going to have to install paid employees to oversee it. Maybe volunteer admins can still help, but a real legal entity needs to be in charge, and volunteer admin powers should be limited. The idea of giving "checkuser" and "oversight" access to volunteers working from home is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Fixing this is going to cost money. A lot of money. Much more than the million dollars they've raised so far in their latest fundraising campaign.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 27th November 2007, 11:07am) *

I'm posting this here instead of in the "editors" forum because of the broader implications.

Giano posted this as a response to Greg K's call to write letters to the Editor on Kelly Martin's Blog:

Where is this? When I go to nonbovine ruminations, and look at her "on durova" blog, i see 6 comments which are one-liners about her playing with socks. huh.gif
Moulton
The structure is operating way too low on the Kohlberg-Gilligan Ladder, which is a polite way of saying that it's not operating with sufficiently mature ethical principles to succeed in the long run.

It's not at all clear to me if Wikipedia could ever reform itself enough to ascend to the fifth rung on that ladder, which (to my mind) is where it needs to be to succeed in the long run.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 27th November 2007, 11:56am) *

it's probably going to take an entirely different fundraising mechanism to afford that new structure.

Cleverest post I've seen all week.

Think about what would happen if Facebook or Youtube had admins participating in amateur investigations on a similar secret mailing list hosted on Wikia servers. It would be outrageous, yet Facebook and Youtube are on the same magnitude in terms of website traffic.

People defending the secret mailing lists are saying that you can't ban admins from sending e-mail to each other, and they're right. To fix this, the Wikimedia Foundation is going to have to take charge of running Wikipedia, and they're going to have to install paid employees to oversee it. Maybe volunteer admins can still help, but a real legal entity needs to be in charge, and volunteer admin powers should be limited. The idea of giving "checkuser" and "oversight" access to volunteers working from home is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Fixing this is going to cost money. A lot of money. Much more than the million dollars they've raised so far in their latest fundraising campaign.

Right you are Anthony, and frankly, 1 million dollars is peanuts in this business. The reason *why* some people want to take down the current structure has to do with what you are getting at:

* The main evangelist, Jimbo, has another focus, to which his fundraising efforts are directed.
* Wikipedia is a launchpad for Wikia
* Wikia has several times more money than Wikipedia ever had because
* Jimbo can make a profit off it
* If he wants to make a profit off Wikia, great - but then hand off Wikipedia, and stop the duality and
* Let someone else serious manage it - and that means giving up your dictator powers - jimbo.

Jimbo is a fool. He would have been better to make Wikipedia a well-run, professional entity, which managed millions of volunteers, or trained volunteers to manage volunteers. That would have worked. Instead, he let the idea flounder, and moved on immediately, to strike while the iron was hot. OK, that too wasn't foolish, but he did it half assed. He could have let someone else take over the helm at Wikipedia, and did his Wikia thing (and continued to milk the Wikipedia name, which no one denies him the right to do) but let someone else strong and focused do the Wikipedia work, and restructure the thing, and not make it into some little shack office in St. Petersburg that basically hangs up on the hundreds (if not thousands) of people who have problems with the thing, ranging from libel, to unfair bannings, defamation, to whatever else.

Kicking jImbo out (which is what a lot of people think is a good idea) isn't the sole solution to the problem. They need a real organization, with a real founder, with management plans, goals, strategies, who is interested in building relationships that are stronger than the free server service they get from Yahoo.

That's why people say "stop giving them money". What they mean is "force them to change, via shutting off the faucet which is basically being used to fund a for-profit venture"

DL
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 27th November 2007, 12:07pm) *

Gregory,

I don't mean this rudely although it will probably sound it but it saddens me that you appear to want to bring down Wikipedia because you don't like Jimbo et al. It seems that you forget all the thousands of people who enjoy editing Wikipedia and the many millions more who use it free of charge on a daily basis.

I'm not prepared to respond to this fully now. But, I will say these short blurbs that come to mind:
  • Only a fool would think that Wikipedia could ever be "brought down". At best, it could be fundamentally changed. I seek fundamental change.
  • I don't forget the people who enjoy editing and those who freely read Wikipedia daily. After all, I am very much one of those people!
  • Jimmy Wales is about 60% of the problem. If you look at the major foul-ups over the past 24 months, he's either created or exacerbated just about all of them. His insults to Larry Sanger; the impromptu "concordat" with Wikipedia Review that he later reneged on because it was a flawed design to begin with; his order to turn on "nofollow" on external links (which didn't apply to many links to Wikia), and his later denial of having given the order; the Essjay scandal; the unfulfilled promise to be open and transparent about the Jayjg affair; the ham-handed creation of Mzoli's Meats; the creepy fund-raising video; the Miltopia/Zscout370 affair; the hosting of and participation in secret "wiki sleuth" mailing lists on his for-profit Wikia servers; his offensive tone to Giano (who should have been praised); his failure to allow Sue Gardner and Florence Devouard to graduate to roles of leadership; the ongoing distraction of his "Wikia Search" that will compete with Google... need I discover more? How, exactly, would Wikipedia be worse off without Jimmy Wales now? Do we really suppose that Wikipedia would collapse within a week or a month of Jimbo's untimely demise in a freak yachting accident? Of course not. Then, why not try having him step away -- completely away -- from the project for a year, and see how things work out?
  • The policy and process are about 20% of the problem. If this is supposedly a free and open encyclopedia, then anyone with the ability to write encyclopedic content (with factual sources, whether original, primary, or secondary -- just verifiable and cited) should be welcomed to participate. It shouldn't matter if they are white people or black people, paid or unpaid, Catholic or Buddhist, college degreed or high-school dropout. Ability to contribute to and improve the database is the only factor. NPOV doesn't have to result in edit wars -- what it's supposed to command is tolerance of and space for all documented viewpoints.
  • The anonymous administrators are perhaps the remaining 20% of the problem. People should not be given technical control of other people's creative output and their access rights, if the administrator can't even identify him/herself in real-life to the accused. I'll take 10 self-identified Guy Chapmans for every SlimVirgin, Jayjg, or pre-Lise Durova, any day. (I can't believe I just wished for 10 Guy Chapmans, but there you have it.)
  • Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Foundation needs to re-brand Wikipedia as something other than an "encyclopedia". Encyclopedias are published. Encyclopedias are written and (more importantly) edited by accountable editors. Encyclopedias take responsibilty for what they disseminate. Just call Wikipedia a "dynamic information experiment" or a "fluid data loop", and I think a lot of complaints would disappear.

Now, here's the big catch. Most of the people who know Wikipedia really well -- that is, the real Wikipedia -- understand that there's about a 0.06% chance that even half of these fundamental reforms will come about... especially the one about Jimbo leaving the project. If the project has therefore become so inextricably addicted to ONE PERSON'S governance, what does that say about the "community" aspects of disseminating information to poor Africans (who generally don't have access to clean water and sewer facilities, much less an Internet browser)? Is third-world philanthropy really Wikipedia's purpose, or is that just a soothing mantra to repeat to one's self as one volunteers more and more time and effort to ONE PERSON'S fiefdom? If third-world philanthropy is the purpose, why are there 150,000 outbound links from Wikipedia to Amazon web properties? I didn't know you could have "High School Musical" DVDs shipped to rural Darfur. But I do know that Amazon invested $10,000,000 in Jimbo's Wikia venture. Hey, that would be 7 or 8 years' worth of Wikimedia Foundation budget! Why is Jimbo so good at drumming up money for his entrepreneurial project, but so pathetic at drumming up money for this third-world philanthropy that he won't let go of?

Rather, has Wikipedia's purpose been co-opted by ONE PERSON to be a personal staging ground for all his other pursuits in life? Think about it. Would this be an entity you'd like to see perpetuated? Or would you rather see it rebuilt, even if that rebuilding process first requires near-destruction of the previous unworkable construct? Giano, I turn resolutely away from the former and emphatically opt for the latter.

Phew -- now that I wrote all that, I'm thinking I've actually said everything I need to say on the subject!

Greg
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 27th November 2007, 3:36pm) *

Gregory,

I don't mean this rudely although it will probably sound it but it saddens me that you appear to want to bring down Wikipedia because you don't like Jimbo et al. It seems that you forget all the thousands of people who enjoy editing Wikipedia and the many millions more who use it free of charge on a daily basis. …

I'm not prepared to respond to this fully now. But, I will say these short blurbs that come to mind:
  • Only a fool would think that Wikipedia could ever be "brought down". At best, it could be fundamentally changed. I seek fundamental change.
  • I don't forget the people who enjoy editing and those who freely read Wikipedia daily. After all, I am very much one of those people!
  • Jimmy Wales is about 60% of the problem. If you look at the major foul-ups over the past 24 months, he's either created or exacerbated just about all of them. His insults to Larry Sanger; the impromptu "concordat" with Wikipedia Review that he later reneged on because it was a flawed design to begin with; his order to turn on "nofollow" on external links (which didn't apply to many links to Wikia), and his later denial of having given the order; the Essjay scandal; the unfulfilled promise to be open and transparent about the Jayjg affair; the ham-handed creation of Mzoli's Meats; the creepy fund-raising video; the Miltopia/Zscout370 affair; the hosting of and participation in secret "wiki sleuth" mailing lists on his for-profit Wikia servers; his offensive tone to Giano (who should have been praised); his failure to allow Sue Gardner and Florence Devouard to graduate to roles of leadership; the ongoing distraction of his "Wikia Search" that will compete with Google... need I discover more? How, exactly, would Wikipedia be worse off without Jimmy Wales now? Do we really suppose that Wikipedia would collapse within a week or a month of Jimbo's untimely demise in a freak yachting accident? Of course not. Then, why not try having him step away -- completely away -- from the project for a year, and see how things work out?
  • The policy and process are about 20% of the problem. If this is supposedly a free and open encyclopedia, then anyone with the ability to write encyclopedic content (with factual sources, whether original, primary, or secondary — just verifiable and cited) should be welcomed to participate. It shouldn't matter if they are white people or black people, paid or unpaid, Catholic or Buddhist, college degreed or high-school dropout. Ability to contribute to and improve the database is the only factor. NPOV doesn't have to result in edit wars — what it's supposed to command is tolerance of and space for all documented viewpoints.
  • The anonymous administrators are perhaps the remaining 20% of the problem. People should not be given technical control of other people's creative output and their access rights, if the administrator can't even identify him/herself in real-life to the accused. I'll take 10 self-identified Guy Chapmans for every SlimVirgin, Jayjg, or pre-Lise Durova, any day. (I can't believe I just wished for 10 Guy Chapmans, but there you have it.)
  • Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Foundation needs to re-brand Wikipedia as something other than an "encyclopedia". Encyclopedias are published. Encyclopedias are written and (more importantly) edited by accountable editors. Encyclopedias take responsibilty for what they disseminate. Just call Wikipedia a "dynamic information experiment" or a "fluid data loop", and I think a lot of complaints would disappear.
Now, here's the big catch. Most of the people who know Wikipedia really well — that is, the real Wikipedia — understand that there's about a 0.06% chance that even half of these fundamental reforms will come about … especially the one about Jimbo leaving the project. If the project has therefore become so inextricably addicted to ONE PERSON'S governance, what does that say about the "community" aspects of disseminating information to poor Africans (who generally don't have access to clean water and sewer facilities, much less an Internet browser)? Is third-world philanthropy really Wikipedia's purpose, or is that just a soothing mantra to repeat to one's self as one volunteers more and more time and effort to ONE PERSON'S fiefdom? If third-world philanthropy is the purpose, why are there 150,000 outbound links from Wikipedia to Amazon web properties? I didn't know you could have "High School Musical" DVDs shipped to rural Darfur. But I do know that Amazon invested $10,000,000 in Jimbo's Wikia venture. Hey, that would be 7 or 8 years' worth of Wikimedia Foundation budget! Why is Jimbo so good at drumming up money for his entrepreneurial project, but so pathetic at drumming up money for this third-world philanthropy that he won't let go of?

Rather, has Wikipedia's purpose been co-opted by ONE PERSON to be a personal staging ground for all his other pursuits in life? Think about it. Would this be an entity you'd like to see perpetuated? Or would you rather see it rebuilt, even if that rebuilding process first requires near-destruction of the previous unworkable construct? Giano, I turn resolutely away from the former and emphatically opt for the latter.

Phew — now that I wrote all that, I'm thinking I've actually said everything I need to say on the subject!

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for that very elegant summary of things that all people of good will and responsible critics of Wikipedia have been saying for over a couple of years now.

And we know in advance the kind of response it will receive.

The Wikipediot Elite will continue to wrap themselves in the flag of Wikipedia's content, as if they were somehow identical with it, and act like every call for their reform or removal is a threat to very ideals of the project.

It's the same old line you get from every gang of hostage-takers — «Do as we say and nobody gets hurt!»

Jon Awbrey
the fieryangel
DL, the post is here, at the end of comments

Greg,

WP can and will be brought down, once the EU realizes the propaganda machine that it is for the US State department. I have solid EU intelligence sources with whom I am in contact who already know this. This is only a matter of time.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 27th November 2007, 3:26pm) *

Greg,

WP can and will be brought down, once the EU realizes the propaganda machine that it is for the US State department. I have solid EU intelligence sources with whom I am in contact who already know this. This is only a matter of time.

No way, really?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Tue 27th November 2007, 10:27pm) *

Greg,

No way, really?

Yup, really. And that's all I'm going to say. Somebody's already on this, actually.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 27th November 2007, 5:36pm) *

Greg,

No way, really?

Yup, really. And that's all I'm going to say. Somebody's already on this, actually.

EUthanasia 4 Wikipedia !!!

Jonny cool.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 27th November 2007, 10:41pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 27th November 2007, 5:36pm) *

Greg,

No way, really?

EUthanasia 4 Wikipedia !!!

Jonny cool.gif

Wouldn't that be convenient. Unfortunately, it's not so easy...

All I want to do is to stop them from getting EU funding. The fact that they mention this Commonwealth Educational thing on their blog is bad enough....
GlassBeadGame

So please whatever you think of the leadership don't keep trying to and discredit and destroy the project. There is freedom of speech and opinion there - look at me, I'm still there (just) and there are many others all working hard to fulfil that mission statement.
Giano

I look forward to the completion of Giano's education. He still appears stuck on remedial materials.
Somey
Yeah, and Encyclopedia Britannica on DVD only costs what, $34.95 US?
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 27th November 2007, 5:36pm) *

And also consider Chinese piracy. I mean the Great Firewall of China might not be the friend of free information but Chinese DVD chop shops certainly weigh in on the side of very reasonably priced information.
jorge
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 27th November 2007, 10:36pm) *

Many people in the U.S. and U.K. can access it for free using their library card.
Amarkov
I don't think anyone here has such a problem with the basic idea of a user contributed encyclopedia that no solution but destruction of Wikipedia would satisfy them. At least, I hope not. But can the myriad of problems that the site has be solved while keeping Wikipedia? Seeing what happened to the Spanish version, it's unclear that they can.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Tue 27th November 2007, 9:34pm) *

I don't think anyone here has such a problem with the basic idea of a user contributed encyclopedia that no solution but destruction of Wikipedia would satisfy them. At least, I hope not. But can the myriad of problems that the site has be solved while keeping Wikipedia? Seeing what happened to the Spanish version, it's unclear that they can.

What happened to the Spanish version?
Derktar
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 27th November 2007, 6:40pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Tue 27th November 2007, 9:34pm) *

What happened to the Spanish version?

There was a schism due to a proposal, something to do with ads and censorship, that basically tore the community up. Some stayed on the Spanish wiki, while the others formed another Spanish encyclopedia, Enciclopedia Libre.

More can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enciclopedia_Libre
Moulton
There is nothing wrong with the fundamental idea of an online encyclopedia with contributions drawn from the public.

But the concept was executed badly, due to the lack of a functional regulatory structure.
WhispersOfWisdom
Amnesty for editors that have been banned:

Keep up the good works Giano. I was very impressed by your strength and courage during
In Re: Durova vs. the world.

You were instrumental in stopping some of the true enemies of Wikipedia...yes, Durova, but more importantly, a lack of transparency and with that, the ability of a well known cabal of administrators and supervisors that have taken it upon themselves to rule as did the Gestapo during the Third Reich.

I believe your finest hour will come when you have proposed and succeeded, with Kelly Martin as a partner, to grant amnesty to all of the flock herein.

There is no question that Wikipedia needs brilliant minds and content providers.

Wikipedia does not need vandalism in the form of sockpuppets working in the shadows of their former positive contributing selves.

Kelly said it very well indeed. How much time could be saved if there was far less time spent fighting a fictional enemy?

Set up a section of Arbcom. to host an amnesty central station.

Probation works wonders in the civilized world. People can change and I must say, I am a walking miracle and proof that people can and do change for the good.

Think about it. smile.gif

This might sound silly, but WR could be a proving ground or a place for all great editors to congregate and have fun. I see a lot of wise people here; a lot of smart people at Wikipedia.

Actually, I see a few wise people at WP too.

I, for one, would never want to edit at WP because I am too lazy and I do not do well with computers, so this is not a push for anything about me. I am content to walk a beach, write some songs and give money away to a lot of very needy little kids in this world. wink.gif

Moulton
The "enemy" isn't WP or even a passel of misguided souls on WP.

The "enemy" is the descent into unfair, unwise, and unbecoming practices, including the erratic practices recently exposed, much to the chagrin and horror of more than a few people reading these pages.

I'd like to see those problematic practices reformed.

I'm willing to give the Wikipedians another chance to revisit their treatment of the many alienated and disgruntled editors who have found their way to these shores.

I don't know if that's a realistic goal, but I'm willing to engage in a scientific experiment to find out.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 28th November 2007, 12:19am) *

The "enemy" isn't WP or even a passel of misguided souls on WP.

The "enemy" is the descent into unfair, unwise, and unbecoming practices, including the erratic practices recently exposed, much to the chagrin and horror of more than a few people reading these pages.

I'm willing to give the Wikipedians another chance to revisit their treatment of the many alienated and disgruntled editors who have found their way to these shores.

I don't know if that's a realistic goal, but I'm willing to engage in a scientific experiment to find out.

Don't bother sending me a Consent Form unless it Extra Quiltedâ„¢.

Jonny cool.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 27th November 2007, 11:24pm) *
Don't bother sending me a Consent Form unless it Extra Quiltedâ„¢.

You are welcome to participate in any capacity that suits you.
Moulton
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 27th November 2007, 11:19pm) *

Credit where credit is due...

Mercury confronted one of those problematic practices and stood up for due process.

The experiment has begun.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 28th November 2007, 1:01am) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 27th November 2007, 11:19pm) *

Credit where credit is due …

Mercury confronted one of those problematic practices and stood up for due process.

The experiment has begun.

Consider the economy of research —

Are you really uncertain of the outcome?

Do you really want to go about dropping 100 pound rocks on your feet at every available opportunity just to see if gravity is still working?

I would not call this an experiment — I would call it «lending the legitimacy of ones good name and participation to what is clearly an illegitimate process».

Good luck with that —

Jonny cool.gif
Moulton
I'm less concerned about the outcome with respect to my standing than in observing the degree to which participants in the experiment reveal their standing on Kohlberg's Ladder.

Elsewhere, there has been commentary about "thuggery" which may or may not be distributed evenly within the ranks.

There may even be more than a few Wikipedians who decide to demonstrate initiative and leadership by ascending the ladder a rung or two.
D.A.F.
I am still amazed how you guys seem to think that the failure of Wikipedia will be caused by those abused administrators or all this drama serounding them.

The failure of Wikipedia will be mostly caused by the system itself. For the sake of it, all those good intentioned editors who work in projects not much affected by POV pushing would do better by creating an encyclopedia specific to the categories which are working.

Wikipedia can not work, like I said, the problem is that EVERYONE can edit. It has just too much potential for ill faithed editors who are using and will be using its popularity, and Wikipedia, the system can and will never be able to do anything about that until it restrict editing mainspace to responsable people who will have to take any responsability for their contribution by providing their full name. Anyone who want to keep anonymity behind alias could very well contiinue using talkpages and contribute by helping editors of articles with documentation.

But this will mean the end of the current system, the end for Wikipedia which is an encyclopedia that anyone can edit. THE IS THE MAIN PROBLEM, all those drama's serounding administrators which you guys waste so much energy about is secondary because the administrators could do a 100% good job and be more pefect than humanly possible, the project will still fail, because the problem is with Wikipedia and what it is supposed to be.

Just an analogy, is to think that any GNU software like blender could work if people download a version which codesource is in realtime modifiable on the web by whomever wants it and that it is compiled by the server without control and that product is the one released. Those GNU will fail, even thought they will even not have a percentile of the problem that Wikipedia has (see my above paragraphs).

In short, what Wikipedia is supposed to be is thet MAIN problem and this is why it will fail.
Jonny Cache
I, for one, have no illusions about that.

But it is the entire management system of Wikipedia, "Foundation", "Volunteers", and all the rest, that is dedicated to doing everything but addressing the real problems in the sort of rational, experience-based, problem-solving manner that many of us learned in our real world disciplines.

And there are specific reasons why the Controllers of the system refuse to do any of the things that sensible professionals in the relevant areas have been begging them to do on a continual basis. Those specific factors will have to be deconstructed in full before the root of the rot can be exposed.

Further, if you look at Citizendium, you will see that merely toggling the anonymity bit is not a sufficient fix of the fundamental flaws in the Sanger-Wales paradigm.

Even Ayn Rand would be appalled …

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
Wikipedia could fail for any number of reasons, not the least of which is running out of money to sustain operations.

The systemic problems may or may not be remediable.

To the extent they are not remediated, the site stands to lose both prestige and financial support.

I'd rather see the problems fixed.
Nathan
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 27th November 2007, 10:45pm) *

That's a wonderful (and fair) idea in theory but I'm afraid it would never happen.
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Nathan @ Wed 5th December 2007, 8:08pm) *

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 27th November 2007, 10:45pm) *

That's a wonderful (and fair) idea in theory but I'm afraid it would never happen.

Too bad it would get flooded by all the venomous nationalists who poison so many articles. Getting the Arbitration Committee to boot them in the first place causes enough trouble.
Nathan
I'm surprised to agree with you, for once. (No, pigs aren't flying, I checked)
wikiwhistle
As regards the original post, I'm surprised Giano wrote something which to me sounds rather cheesy. Maybe he's trying to regain some good will from the powers that be on wikipedia.
The Joy
QUOTE(Nathan @ Wed 5th December 2007, 11:19pm) *

I'm surprised to agree with you, for once. (No, pigs aren't flying, I checked)

User:Pigsonthewing keeps getting banned every year he comes back. He definitely ain't flyin'! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.