Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WikiPedia = WikiPlagiarism ¤ WP:Deny Attribution
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Jonny Cache
I am setting aside this thread for recording individual cases of plagiarism under Wikipedia's de facto policy to Deny Attribution.

This will provide a compact record for external observers of cases that may be discussed in further detail on one of the other threads that deal with this revolting devolution in Wikipediot ethics.Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
Systematic Administrative Plagiarism (SAP) @ Wikipedia

The Hostile Merger Maneuver

The Simplest Mathematics ¤ Merge ¤ Delete

Kaina Stoicheia ¤ Merge ¤ Delete

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache

The content of four (4) articles on Peirce's Logic of Relatives and Theory of Categories that I had previously written as spin-offs from the main Peirce article had gradually been feathered back into the main article over the past few months. That being accomplished, Admin Kaldari put the coup de ¬grace on the Wiki-Plagiarism by finishing off the merge and deleting the separate articles.

Logic of relatives ¤ Merge ¤ Delete

Logic of Relatives (1870) ¤ Delete

Logic of Relatives (1883) ¤ Delete

On a New List of Categories ¤ Delete

Finishing Off The Merger Of Several Articles

In order to gauge how much of the content from the several spin-off articles was spliced back into the main Peirce article, the reader may find it helpful to compare the current Wikipedia artcle on Peirce with the version that I forked over to the Wikinfo site on 05 Sep 2006.

Here is the 05 Sep 2006 Wikinfo version of the relevant section on Peirce's Works.

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache

Let me use this page as a worksheet to develop a Documentation Scheme for WP:IP (Internal Plagiarism).

Internal Plagiarism is not Your Indefinitely Gendered Parent's — wait, that sounds kinda bad somehow — brand of «Oops, I Didn't Know It Was A Bad Thing To Copy It All Out Of A Real Encyclopedia».

No, Internal Plagiarism requires Administrative Access since the Perp has to be able to delete the evidence of copying material from a place where the software automatically creates adequate attributions to a place where the software's functions are defeated and manipulated into creating fraudulent attributions.

One of the easiest ways for a Wikipedia Admin to SAP some poor sap's due credit is via the Hostile Merger Maneuver (WP:Hmm).

Anyone who ever sweated out a significant number of days as an ordinary Wikipeon will know that there are Procedures for Deleting, Merging, and Moving or Renaming articles that the ordinary Wikipeon will be severely castigated, lambasted, and whipped, if not excommunicated for ignoring. There is even rumored to be an administrative tool for merging articles while preserving their revision histories, though I can't say for sure since I've never seen it actually happen myself. The casual observer will notice a curious lack of any such nonsense about Due Process or Preserving Attribution in any of the examples below.

Generally speaking, Wikipediots appear to rest content with a Cut-&-Paste of content from one article to another that leaves a redirect from the article plundered to the article enriched. Even that wikist link, that minimal token of gratitude and respect for the contributions of the original authors, is of course defeated if the Administrative Pirate deletes the article pirated.

If the SAPee has had the foresight or the just plain dumb luck to have previously contributed his or her work to a more reputable‡ website or wikisite, then the fraudulent conversion of content by Wikipedian Admins will be easy to demonstrate.

(‡ «Reputable» may be thought tricky to define, but a first approximation to a definition is easy enough — any site where Guy Chapman does not operate, especially as a sysop.)

In order to gauge how much of the content from the several spin-off articles was spliced back into the main Peirce article, the reader may find it helpful to compare the current Wikipedia artcle on Peirce with the version that I forked over to the Wikinfo site on 05 Sep 2006.

Here is the 05 Sep 2006 Wikinfo version of the relevant section on Peirce's Works.
Jonny Cache
History-Destroying Merges Are Plagiarism

In view of recent demonstrations that Wikipediot Administrators really do have the ability to carry out article merges in ways that preserve their contribution histories — of course, they do that only when it serves the purpose of this or that Cabal Vendetta, all in accord with their one and only rule, WP:DUI (Damn U, Iwanna) — there is really no technical excuse for their engaging in the brands of Internal Plagiarism that I've been documenting above.

Still, WP:DUI rules over all.

Prescisive abstraction ¤ AfD ¤ Merge

Jon Awbrey
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 18th December 2007, 10:04pm) *

History-Detroying Merges Are Plagiarism

In view of recent demonstrations that Wikipediot Administrators really do have the ability to carry out article merges in ways that preserve their contribution histories — operating in accord with their one and only rule WP:DUI (Damn U, Iwanna) — there is really no excuse for their engaging in the brands of Internal Plagiarism that I've been documenting above.

Prescisive_Abstraction ¤ Merge ¤ Delete

Jon Awbrey

Jonny,

I believe that in spirit you are absolutely right, but in terms of the GFDL license, I don't see how can you legally complain about this.

Anyone who contributes ANYTHING on WP is saying "you can do what you want with my work, as long as my work is cited in the article history".

So, is your problem the fact that your name is NOT cited in the article history?

If this is the case, they are in violation of the license and you could sue them for copyright violations.

However, you wouldn't be able to get back anything much more than your court costs because you couldn't easily prove that you had sustained a financial loss due to this action.

In terms of the paragraphs of tightly written, brilliantly reasoned prose that you've contributed above....well, consider your audience....

They're not worth it.
Emperor
We've been over this. Legally, Wikipedia will probably get away with ignoring the license, at least until large sums of money become involved.

In the court of public opinion, however, it's highly relevant that Wikipedia management be exposed as liars who can't honor a simple deal, i.e. to receive free content and to credit the author with a line in the article history.

QUOTE(Wikimedia Foundation Privacy Policy)
When you edit any page in the wiki, you are publishing a document. This is a public act, and you are identified publicly with that edit as its author.
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php...icy&oldid=21716)

The GFDL is very clear as well. The five primary authors should be credited.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 18th December 2007, 4:22pm) *

Jonny,

I believe that in spirit you are absolutely right, but in terms of the GFDL license, I don't see how can you legally complain about this.

Anyone who contributes ANYTHING on WP is saying "you can do what you want with my work, as long as my work is cited in the article history".

So, is your problem the fact that your name is NOT cited in the article history?

If this is the case, they are in violation of the license and you could sue them for copyright violations.

However, you wouldn't be able to get back anything much more than your court costs because you couldn't easily prove that you had sustained a financial loss due to this action.

In terms of the paragraphs of tightly written, brilliantly reasoned prose that you've contributed above … well, consider your audience …

They're not worth it.

I have always been talking about the Ethics of Scholarship. An organization that pretends to have an educational mission cannot be in the business of promoting bad ethics. It is really no more complicated than that.

Wikipediots have gotten into the habit of routinely falsifying their records. That violates the passive reader as much as it violates the active contributor. It is just plain wrong on numerous scores to deform and distort the database history in the ways that they are doing.

Jon Awbrey
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 18th December 2007, 9:52pm) *

I have always been talking about the Ethics of Scholarship. An organization that pretends to have an educational mission cannot be in the business of promoting bad ethics. It is really no more complicated than that.

It's plagiarism, it's unethical, and it violates the license and Wikipedia's guarantees to its volunteer contributors.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 18th December 2007, 11:19pm) *

It's plagiarism, it's unethical, and it violates the license and Wikipedia's guarantees to its volunteer contributors.

Yes, we're all in agreement about that.

but the question remains: what can one legally do about it?

Quite frankly, I don't believe that much can be done in the US legal system. In Europe, where the notion of moral rights has much more validity, you'd probably have a case....but you'd spend a fortune trying to win it.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 18th December 2007, 5:41pm) *

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Tue 18th December 2007, 11:19pm) *

Yes, we're all in agreement about that.

But the question remains: what can one legally do about it?

Quite frankly, I don't believe that much can be done in the US legal system. In Europe, where the notion of moral rights has much more validity, you'd probably have a case … but you'd spend a fortune trying to win it.

The legal question is one that some people find fascinating, but it's just not my primary concern.

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
The problem as I see it is that those of us in academia operate on the basis of professional and ethical standards appropriate to a career in academia, where personal reputation matters. The same kind of consideration applies to journalists who prepare bylined stories for the popular press about topics from academic research.

Wikipedians do not seem to subscribe to comparable standards, nor is there any incentive for them to do so, given their anonymity and volunteer status.

As a result, about the best we can do is to point out that Wikipedia defines itself as an enterprise apart from either journalism or scholarship when it comes to normative professional and ethical standards.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 18th December 2007, 6:09pm) *

The problem as I see it is that those of us in academia operate on the basis of professional and ethical standards appropriate to a career in academia, where personal reputation matters. The same kind of consideration applies to journalists who prepare bylined stories for the popular press about topics from academic research.

Wikipedians do not seem to subscribe to comparable standards, nor is there any incentive for them to do so, given their anonymity and volunteer status.

As a result, about the best we can do is to point out that Wikipedia defines itself as an enterprise apart from either journalism or scholarship when it comes to normative professional and ethical standards.

I do declare, it's a little strange for me, having spent a lifetime criticizing establishment ways of doing just about everything, gleaning the harvest that no one else wanted in Good Farmer Academus' Field, "asking only workman's wages" like some wandering In-Again Out-Again Finnegan, to find myself suddenly presented with something that actually works worse.

But there it is.

If those kids could live in Kid Nation forever, they might just survive, but an educational facility is supposed to be teaching them how to live in the Real World. And there, I fear, Wikipedia is proving itself to be a genuine disservice provider.

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
Nota Bene. Mistakes in typing the article name led me to get the sequence of events wrong. In this case they conducted an AfD, after which the closer redirected the Prescisive Abstraction article to the CSP article and pasted the content of the article on the talk page of the CSP article, suggesting that editors who know the subject merge it into the main article. Of course, the CSP article already has a TL;DR tag on it, and so a year of Admin Monkey Biz simply undoes a previous directive to break out pieces of the CSP article.

I think you all know what happens next —

Rinse and repeat — that's how the attribution laundry goes.

Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 18th December 2007, 4:04pm) *

History-Destroying Merges Are Plagiarism

In view of recent demonstrations that Wikipediot Administrators really do have the ability to carry out article merges in ways that preserve their contribution histories — of course, they do that only when it serves the purpose of this or that Cabal Vendetta, all in accord with their one and only rule, WP:DUI (Damn U, Iwanna) — there is really no technical excuse for their engaging in the brands of Internal Plagiarism that I've been documenting above.

Jon Awbrey

Jonny Cache
User:Would Goods removed several instances of Systematic Administrative Plagiarism (SAP) that I documented above. Naturally, the usual suspects insist on continuing their shady practices.

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
User:Kato9Tales has again removed the plagiarized content that I documented above from the Wikipedia article on Charles Sanders Peirce, placing the following notice on the discussion page:

Removing Plagiarized Content

I have removed several instances of plagiarized content from the Peirce article. The violations of due attribution have been documented at this location. Kato9Tales (talk) 17:36, 19 December 2007 (UTC)

Jon Awbrey
The Joy
Jonny, did you see this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=83460559

That's unbelievably cruel and below the belt of JzG to ask that you can make comments to the article's discussion when he knows full-well that you are banned.

The cruelty of these people never ceases to amaze me.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 19th December 2007, 3:18pm) *

Jonny, did you see this?

User Talk:Jon Awbrey&diff=177503579&oldid=83460559

That's unbelievably cruel and below the belt of JzG to ask that you can make comments to the article's discussion when he knows full-well that you are banned.

The cruelty of these people never ceases to amaze me.

Oh, that's just zis guy's sins of humer.

Of course, nothing can compare with the cruel joke that Wikipedia already is.

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
JustZeFaxMaam has removed the plagiarized content that I documented above from the Wikipedia article on Charles Sanders Peirce, placing the following notice on the discussion page:

I have removed several instances of plagiarized content from the Peirce article. This material was copied from several articles that were deleted along with their contribution histories. Using work without proper attribution is plagiarism. These violations are documented in the corresponding deletion logs and also at this location. JustZeFaxMaam (talk) 04:12, 21 December 2007 (UTC)

Jon Awbrey
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 4:28am) *

JustZeFaxMaam has removed the plagiarized content that I documented above from the Wikipedia article on Charles Sanders Peirce, placing the following notice on the discussion page:

I have removed several instances of plagiarized content from the Peirce article. This material was copied from several articles that were deleted along with their contribution histories. Using work without proper attribution is plagiarism. These violations are documented in the corresponding deletion logs and also at this location. JustZeFaxMaam (talk) 04:12, 21 December 2007 (UTC)

Jon Awbrey

Lucasbfr restores the plagiarized material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=179329472

and blocks your sockpuppet (inaccurately) as a "troll":

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...r:JustZeFaxMaam

Luna Santin protects the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=179329655

They see the one problem - that you're socking - clearly enough, but the other - that they're plagiarizing you - is lost on them.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Thu 20th December 2007, 11:47pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 4:28am) *

Jon Awbrey

Lucasbfr restores the plagiarized material:

Charles Peirce&diff=179329655&oldid=179329472

and blocks your sockpuppet (inaccurately) as a "troll":

Special:Log&type=block&page=User:JustZeFaxMaam

Luna Santin protects the article:

Charles Peirce&diff=179330446&oldid=179329655

They see the one problem — that you're socking — clearly enough, but the other — that they're plagiarizing you — is lost on them.

After deleting JustZeFaxMaam's notification of plagiarism, Lucasbfr and Luna Santin make up for it by entertaining the viewer with the following bit of comedy:

Merging and GFDL

Usual reading of the GFDL is that there is no violation since the full list of authors remains stored in the database. The list of authors from any particular deleted article can be asked at the Administrator Noticeboard, if needed. Please do not disrupt Wikipedia to prove a point. — lucasbfr talk 04:24, 21 December 2007 (UTC)

Note that Prescisive abstraction is not deleted, and its history is readable. I have undeleted Kaina Stoicheia and The Simplest Mathematics, and their history is now readable too. — lucasbfr talk 04:37, 21 December 2007 (UTC)

A specific explanation of any other problems would be appreciated, should there be any. — Luna Santin (talk) 04:38, 21 December 2007 (UTC)

Source. Talk:Charles Peirce&oldid=179333215#Merging and GFDL

Jonny Cache

The Rap Sheet So Far —

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
Systematic Administrative Plagiarism @ Wikipedia (WP:SAP)

And, of coarse, of coarse, JustZapitGuy resolves the ethical issue in his usual fascism.

Jon Awbrey
Rootology
Jon, can I make a suggestion? I know this really bugs you, that they're dicking about with your writing. Easy permanent fix.

Detail this all--the chain of attribution for your GFDL material, and where they broke the chain, and in the plainest (I mean *REALLY* stupid and dumb it down) language, write this all out that any halfwit could understand it and follow it. Make it so a moron could see the plagiarism, and use no fancy language or made up words. Then...

1. Post it here.

2. Mail it into OTRS (again, keeping it simple/plain).

3. Right after mailing it, call the Wikimedia Foundation, and explain, point blank, that they are plagiarizing you and will be taking legal action based on this. Tell them if they don't take down the offending material, you will file a DMCA takedown.

4. They'll take it down--they have to.

5. If they don't, put in a weekly update to OTRS with that same plain jane documentation, and fax it to the Office as well.

6. By now, Cary Bass will be dealing with anyone fucking with you, as legal action is involved. Cary if needed will be required to tell Guy to back off.

7. If they don't back off, you file a formal DMCA take down notice, faxed, snail mailed, and e-mailed back into OTRS, and then call Cary again.

8. If they STILL won't take it down, guess what? They're in breach of the law unless they counter notice you, and if they do, bickety-bam, post a PDF of the notice here, and Daniel Brandt laughs his way to the Section 230 lawsuits.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Rootology @ Fri 21st December 2007, 1:03pm) *

Jon, can I make a suggestion? I know this really bugs you, that they're dicking about with your writing. Easy permanent fix.

Detail this all — the chain of attribution for your GFDL material, and where they broke the chain, and in the plainest (I mean *REALLY* stupid and dumb it down) language, write this all out that any halfwit could understand it and follow it. Make it so a moron could see the plagiarism, and use no fancy language or made up words. Then …
  1. Post it here.
  2. Mail it into OTRS (again, keeping it simple/plain).
  3. Right after mailing it, call the Wikimedia Foundation, and explain, point blank, that they are plagiarizing you and will be taking legal action based on this. Tell them if they don't take down the offending material, you will file a DMCA takedown.
  4. They'll take it down — they have to.
  5. If they don't, put in a weekly update to OTRS with that same plain jane documentation, and fax it to the Office as well.
  6. By now, Cary Bass will be dealing with anyone fucking with you, as legal action is involved. Cary if needed will be required to tell Guy to back off.
  7. If they don't back off, you file a formal DMCA take down notice, faxed, snail mailed, and e-mailed back into OTRS, and then call Cary again.
  8. If they STILL won't take it down, guess what? They're in breach of the law unless they counter notice you, and if they do, bickety-bam, post a PDF of the notice here, and Daniel Brandt laughs his way to the Section 230 lawsuits.

Joe,

Let me try to explain what I'm doing here. I'm sure I've said all this before, but maybe it will help to write it out in a less "distributed" fashion.

My reason for getting involved in the Wikipedia project was to further education and scholarship, and my reason for being here is exactly the same. The task has taken on a different character now, but that is only because Wikipedia turned out to be more obstructive than instructive in the ways of the human knowledge enterprise.

Our job here — my job at least — is to be a Critic not a Cop.

I am not trying to engage in dialogue with the Hive Mentality — I have already gone far above and beyond the call of duty in trying to do that, and Wikipedians as a Body of the Whole have shown themselves time and time again to be no longer capable of rational dialogue. Even those few individuals who make token efforts to act like individuals have so far allowed themselves to be stymied into wiki-wimpitude by the Bully Amplification Device (WP:BAD) that is Wikipedia today.

I am trying to engage the Public at Large in dialogue about Wikipedia. That is the way forward, and everything else is just distraction.

Jon Awbrey
Rootology
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 12:00pm) *

[I am trying to engage the Public at Large in dialogue about Wikipedia. That is the way forward, and everything else is just distraction.

Jon Awbrey

Jon,

Fair enough. I suppose I just always have more of a, "What is the best way to resolve and win this?" mindset about just about everything. I always try to look for a solution, rather than the critical ways of thought that go from an educational environment such as you came from. I'd guess that you generally will see things in the context of why and how can you get to your goal, where I see them in the context of how and when can I get to my goal.

Cheers.
Moulton
Winning a game may seem to be the obvious goal of a contestant.

But if you saw Man in the Moon, you might appreciate that edutaining the public is another, orthogonal, objective.
Rootology
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 21st December 2007, 12:14pm) *
But if you saw Man in the Moon, you might appreciate that edutaining the public is another, orthogonal, objective.

Oh, I assure you, I've seen it, and adore it. There just gets to be a point eventually where it wouldn't be fun to spin up drama and fun for the sake of it, I suppose.

Criticism, though, is quite different. The problem is that Wikipedia and it's 'managment' sees them as the same thing. Things are not righteous and fair for Wikipedia unless they are only criticized internally by trusted users.
Moulton
An alternative to criticism is parody or comic opera.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Rootology @ Fri 21st December 2007, 3:11pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 12:00pm) *

I am trying to engage the Public at Large in dialogue about Wikipedia. That is the way forward, and everything else is just distraction.

Jon Awbrey

Jon,

Fair enough. I suppose I just always have more of a, "What is the best way to resolve and win this?" mindset about just about everything. I always try to look for a solution, rather than the critical ways of thought that go from an educational environment such as you came from. I'd guess that you generally will see things in the context of why and how can you get to your goal, where I see them in the context of how and when can I get to my goal.

Cheers.

Of course I tried all that — the lion's share of what I learned in math, computer science, systems science was all about the problem-solving approach to the world — but I also learned to recognize intractable problems, at least, intractable relative to my personal resources. My last best effort to communicate with what I naively imagined would be the more responsible sub-community of Wikipedia was during my self-initiated Exit Interview on the Wikienlist in the summer of 2006. Dues paid.

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
How Did It Come To This?

From the character of recent comments and questions on this thread, it occurs to me that not everyone present may have been around or paying close attention when this particular episode got started. So let me provide a bit of background.

I was quite content to leave the material that I contributed to Wikipedia in place — right up until last month when Guy Chapman starting posting a series of calumnies against me on the Wikienlist and then again on Wikipedia.

Here is just one sample of his still continuing diatribe of absurd, defamatory, and false accusations:

QUOTE(Guy Chapman @ 10 Nov 2007 UTC 12:10)

In the case of Awbrey, the reason he was banned was because whatever he said, no matter how superficially reasonable, came down to "and this is why you should accept my original research rather than what the sources say". He was given months and months to reform or learn to play nice, and he obdurately refused to do so. After he was banned he carried on posting here in the same style until he was banned from here as well.

Source. Guy Chapman, Re:Featured Editors?, Wikienlist, 10 Nov 2007 UTC 12:10

It was in direct response to this series of attacks by Guy Chapman that I called for a Writers' Strike on 17 Nov 2007.

Aside from the fact that Guy Chapman cannot even get so much as the sequence of events straight — I completed my postings on the Wikienlist (18 Jun – 03 Jul 2006) well before they blocked my Wikipedia account (07 Sep 2006) — the very idea that I did not constantly campaign for the highest standards of fact checking and sourcing for all statements, no matter whether they occurred in articles, discussions, or policy pages, is nothing short of the exact reversal of the truth. And they damn well know it.

The crux of the matter is this. I contributed content to Wikipedia that to this day adds to the credibility of Wikipedia. Nobody but nobody has the right to use that credibility to discredit me. If Guy Chapman can get away with asserting unchecked lies on the Wikienlist and on Wikipedia and no one in that so-called community calls him on it, then Wikipedia as a whole has forfeited the right to continue using those contributions.

When Guy Chapman was asked to say what material he thought constituted the offending "original research", he simply deleted the question and blocked the user who asked it. To make vague and unsubstantiated claims that I foisted original work on Wikipedia is then to cast suspicion on the whole of my contributions as being unsuitable for an encyclopedia — and if that is what they believe then they should all be glad to be rid of it. So good, be rid of it.

Jon Awbrey
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 5:02pm) *

Systematic Administrative Plagiarism @ Wikipedia (WP:SAP)

And, of coarse, of coarse, JustZapitGuy resolves the ethical issue in his usual fascism.

Jon Awbrey

Whether "[the plagiarism] is a straw man erected in order to pursue a disruptive agenda," as Guy alleges, is irrelevant. Wikipedia should honor its licenses, regardless of what anyone feels about anyone else's agenda.

The Wikipedia collective is a pathological liar who never fails to come up with a handy excuse for why he constantly breaks his word.
thekohser
You may want to take a look at this development -- WAS 4.250 asking Jimbo to intercede on JzG.

I hope that my posting it here doesn't sour the natural progression of that Jimbo conversation.

Greg
Rootology
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 21st December 2007, 9:06pm) *

You may want to take a look at this development -- WAS 4.250 asking Jimbo to intercede on JzG.

I hope that my posting it here doesn't sour the natural progression of that Jimbo conversation.

Greg

It's curious how 99% of all drama and tension problems on Wikipedia are literally focused around a tiny, tiny minority of the users.
Jonny Cache
For me all of this remains an exercise in educating the general public about Wikipedia.

Lesson 1. You cannot trust pathological liars with any portion of the world's knowledge base.

I was banned on the basis of false testimony by pathological liars, and everything they have said since about the reasons why has been cut from the very same shabby cloth. They can only get away with lies like that, within their parochial fold, by excommunicating anyone who counters them. Outside the fold, the truth will out.

Jon Awbrey
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 5:10am) *

It's curious how 99% of all drama and tension problems on Wikipedia are literally focused around a tiny, tiny minority of the users.

Typically, these are the same users who accuse others of seeking drama.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 12:28am) *

QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 5:10am) *

Typically, these are the same users who accuse others of seeking drama.

Words like «drama», «strawman», «troll» are nothing more than fingers they stick in their ears to avoid hearing what people on all sides keep saying to them.

Jonny cool.gif
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:20pm) *

I was banned on the basis of false testimony by pathological liars, and everything they have said since about the reasons why has been cut from the very same shabby cloth. They can only get away with lies like that, within their parochial fold, by excommunicating anyone who counters them. Outside the fold, the truth will out.

I read the ANI discussions. They said they banned you because they could not understand what you were saying whenever you wrote.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:06pm) *

WAS4250 could only ask jimbo by spouting hivemind lines like "We should be better than WR, not imitate them" and "after he [Awbrey] was justly banned". They banned Awbrey because his writing was something that pretty much nobody is capable of reciting orally and they couldn't understand him -- banning someone only for that wasn't really a just banning, though the ANI thread including admins claiming Awbrey did it to look smarter than everyone else.

But no banned editor has the right to edit here? Or are you claiming they do? In which case you should not DO SO. Defending some banned troll and in the process attacking of our most respected admins isnt right. What is going on, WAS? Normally you behave impeccably but this looks like trolling to me. Thanks, SqueakBox 23:44, 21 December 2007 (UTC)

I saw Daniel Brandt edit the BLP noticeboard after being banned complaining about things and they let him speak and treated him respectfully there and fix the problems he brought up.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 12:58am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:20pm) *

I read the ANI discussions. They said they banned you because they could not understand what you were saying whenever you wrote.

That was just a rumbling of chatter that went on after the decision had been made. Of course, the decision had been made before that gang of kangaroos ever took their seats in court, as anyone who has been through one of those instant lynch mobs will easily recognize.

The critical turning point was the thumbs down from SlimVirgin, and she did that because I opposed the radical changes that she and her gang were trying to impose on WP:NOR.

You may have missed their more recent statements in which they have retro-fitted the history to say that I was trying to add OR to Wikipedia and that I was trying to warp WP:NOR for the sole purpose of allowing me to do that. Funny how they have to keep deleting the WP:NOR talk page where I collected data on the history of WP:NOR that might just enlighten people who was doing what.

Jon Awbrey
LamontStormstar
Well that does make for more of a conspracy. SlimVirgin and the Harsbara Fellowships were trying to corrupt wikipedia's "no original research" policy and you opposed it so they made up an excuse to ban you.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 1:23am) *

Well that does make for more of a conspiracy. SlimVirgin and the Harsbara Fellowships were trying to corrupt Wikipedia's "no original research" policy and you opposed it so they made up an excuse to ban you.

I don't know anything about the theopolitical ramifications.

I only know that SlimVirgin and her cronies were trying to undermine the standards of sourcing that the rest of the world has been using for about as long as anyone can remember and that the previous versions of WP:NOR more or less reflected as well as anyone might expect, especially if they were interpreted by people who already knew what the norms of sourced research were supposed to be.

Jon Awbrey
tarantino
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 5:06am) *

Greg

Ooh, it looks like it might have. SlimVirgin has interjected herself into the discussion.

She disagrees with WAS 4.250's assessment
Jon Awbrey spent something like a year faithfully contributing to Wikipedia based on his widely acknowledged expertise in Charles Peirce and his work, a very important figure in the history of logic. That expertise made his contributions to logic/math articles to be beyond reproach to people who knew the subject (although readability by non-experts was and is an issue). But he ran into trouble on articles like Truth where he had to edit with people who could not understand his specialized expert vocabulary and Jon was poorly equipped to fully appreciate WP:NPOV leading to charges of breaking WP:NOR leading him to go to the policy talk page at WP:NOR where he was abused and misinformed by that page's owners;

by stating
The user in question did not, in fact, have the expertise that you seem to be assuming for him, and the problems he encountered on Truth were perhaps not because the other editors didn't understand the specialist vocabulary, but because they did understand it.

Then there's Squeakbox in over his head in the middle of it. He must have all Jimbo-related articles and talk pages watchlisted.
LamontStormstar
SlimVirgin is complaining about the section added on the Truth article about Kant. The second quotes Kant and then analyzes what Kant wrote. However the only source it gives is Kant and Kant can be interpretted differently so the interpretation of Kant is original research.

Here's what it says now:

====Kant====

[[Immanuel Kant]] discussed the correspondence theory of truth in the following manner. Kant's criticism of correspondence theory is one of numerous examples of why so many thinkers who examine the question of truth are not satisfied to rest with this first theory that usually comes to mind.[[Image:Kant_2.jpg|thumb|125px|right|Immanuel Kant]]
<blockquote>Truth is said to consist in the agreement of knowledge with the object. According to this mere verbal definition, then, my knowledge, in order to be true, must agree with the object. Now, I can only compare the object with my knowledge by this means, namely, by taking knowledge of it. My knowledge, then, is to be verified by itself, which is far from being sufficient for truth. For as the object is external to me, and the knowledge is in me, I can only judge whether my knowledge of the object agrees with my knowledge of the object. Such a circle in explanation was called by the ancients Diallelos. And the logicians were accused of this fallacy by the sceptics, who remarked that this account of truth was as if a man before a judicial tribunal should make a statement, and appeal in support of it to a witness whom no one knows, but who defends his own credibility by saying that the man who had called him as a witness is an honourable man.<ref>Kant, Immanuel (1800), Introduction to Logic. Reprinted, Thomas Kingsmill Abbott (trans.), Dennis Sweet (intro.) (2005)</ref></blockquote>
According to Kant, the definition of truth as correspondence is a "mere verbal definition", here making use of Aristotle's distinction between a nominal definition, a definition in name only, and a real definition, [[Definition#Essence|a definition that shows the true cause or essence of the thing whose term is being defined]]. From Kant's account of the history, the definition of truth as correspondence was already in dispute from classical times, the "skeptics" criticizing the "logicians" for a form of circular reasoning, though the extent to which the "logicians" actually held such a theory is not evaluated.<ref>Kant, Immanuel (1800), Introduction to Logic. Reprinted, Thomas Kingsmill Abbott (trans.), Dennis Sweet (intro.) (2005)</ref>

SlimVirgin criticized when Awbrey added http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=57982957 but the Kant section actually got a lot more original research later.
Moulton
I'm not familiar with the "correspondence theory of truth" but it sounds a lot like one of the mantras one hears in Systems Theory: The Map is not the Territory, and the Model is not the System. But we try to achieve an appropriate degree of fidelity, nonetheless.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 4:45pm) *

I'm not familiar with the "correspondence theory of truth" but it sounds a lot like one of the mantras one hears in Systems Theory: The Map is not the Territory, and the Model is not the System. But we try to achieve an appropriate degree of fidelity, nonetheless.

Actually, I usually hear that from NLP and Wikipedia agrees with me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map-territory_relation

Korzybski's dictum ("The map is not the territory") is also cited as an underlying principle used in neuro-linguistic programming, where it is used to signify that individual people in fact do not in general have access to absolute knowledge of reality, but in fact only have access to a set of beliefs they have built up over time, about reality. So it is considered important to be aware that people's beliefs about reality and their awareness of things (the "map") are not reality itself or everything they could be aware of ("the territory"). The originators of NLP have been explicit that they owe this insight to General Semantics.

The WP Systems Theory article finds no word "map" on text search.
Moulton
In Systems Theory, the terms 'map' and 'model' are sometimes used interchangeably, to highlight the map-territory metaphor. Principia Cybernetic might be a better resource than Wikipedia for articles on Systems Theory.
Jonny Cache
It's High Holly Jolly Days at my house, so I Kant dive into this fascinating discussion until the New Year, and maybe there should be a separate thread for it anyway.

By way of maximally brief remarks, I'll just say this:
  • Wikipedia's Five Pillars tells good little Wikipedians what they are supposed to do when they have doubts about the goodies that some Jolly Old Elf has deposited in their stockings, and so far as I remember it doesn't say anything about Ban First, Brick Up Chimney Next, and Talk About The Phat Bastard 1½ Years Later On Jimbo's Talk Page Or Some Other Place Where He Can't Answer Back. Then, again, who knows, it's entirely possible that SlimVirgin has rearranged the Pillars since last I was there.
  • Wikipedian re*writes of Wikipedian History are every bit as fictional as their re*writes of everything else, and it's absolutely amazing how the Absurd Vigilantes of Wikiputia never dream of checking their imaginary reconstitutions against the whole body of facts on file. Well, on file until someone finds it convenient to oversight and re*write them.
And to all a good night &mdashaway; &mdashaway; &mdashaway; &all;

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 6:14pm) *

SlimVirgin is complaining about the section added on the Truth article about Kant. The second quotes Kant and then analyzes what Kant wrote. However the only source it gives is Kant and Kant can be interpreted differently so the interpretation of Kant is original research.

Thank goodness someone has been bold enough to solve the problem once and for all.

Jon Awbrey
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sat 22nd December 2007, 9:11pm) *

Freud got all the easy questions …

«What Do Wikipediots Want?»
Now there's a baffler for the ages!

Jon Awbrey
Moulton
Jon, I'm thinking about writing a blog piece about this on the Media Ethics blog.

I ran bits of the story past my colleague who teaches Ethics in Journalism to see what she thinks. But I'm not sure I have all the facts straight. Take a look at this and pick out anything where I have my facts wrong...

QUOTE(Moulton explains the Awbrey kerfuffle to Moonbeam)
Moulton says "Now this is interesting..."
Moulton says "You consider yourself reasonably knowledgable about Immanuel Kant, right?"
Moonbeam says "Kinda. Though one of my detractors would disagree wink.gif"
Moulton says "I suppose you've not only read scholarly writings about Kant, but some of Kant's own writings."
Moonbeam says "As little of Kant's own stuff as I can get by with, actually. He's not exactly readable."
Moulton says "And you can therefore write a synopsis of Kant's position on something he opined about, such as Kant's Theory of Truth."
Moonbeam confines herself to Kant's theories that apply to journalism, which includes the famous categorical imperative."
Moonbeam says "Why do you ask?"
Moulton says "But if you were to write a paragraph describing one of Kant's theses that you have gleaned from reading Kant firsthand, that would be defined as Original Research, and therefore not allowed in Wikipedia."
Moonbeam says "I don't know Kant's Theory of Truth. The Categorical Imperative is a Theory of Justice."
Moulton says "So, correspondingly, if you wrote on Wikipedia about his Categorical Imperative, you'd have to go by a secondary source -- an accredited scholar who interpreted it for you."
Moonbeam says "Encyclopedias confine themselves to summarizing stuff that's already out there, not to publishing new interpretations of it."
Moulton has read many novel interpretations of his own desires and intentions, as researched by the WPID crowd. smile.gif
Moonbeam says "I'll bet wink.gif"
Moulton says "There is this guy named Jon Awbrey who did his academic thesis on Charles Peirce. He wrote a bunch of articles on Peirce and his seminal ideas, some of which are academically arcane. Then Awbrey got banned, much like me. So now they redact anything he writes since being banned."
Moulton says "But Wikipedia has this Gnu Free Distribution License, GFDL, which says that anything written on Wikipedia is freely distributable, as long as you preserve the original attribution. But they took most of his specialized articles and folded the material back into a single article about Peirce, keeping the text, but discarding the discussion and history pages, thereby obliterating any record of the original contributor."
Moonbeam says "Idiots."
Moulton says "So he went in and deleted that material as plagiarism, since it now violates GFDL. Meantime, SlimVirgin is now saying that Awbrey was writing his interpretations from primary sources (since he studied Peirce), and so it was all Original Research anyway."
Moonbeam says "Oy."
Moulton says "But she made the case not relative to his writings on Peirce, but to an incidental one on Kant's Theory of Truth, which relates to a comparable theory of Peirce."
Moonbeam says "Primary sources for Peirce would be Peirce or his letters to people."
Moulton says "And she is saying he was not an expert on Kant, only on Peirce."
Moonbeam says "Most theses are written from secondary sources to begin with."
Moulton says "But the argument SimVirgin makes would apply to the Peirce stuff just as well, since it's still OR."
Moonbeam thinks you will prolly drive them nuts because you love to split hairs, and they don't.
Moulton says "So SlimVirgin is making the case on Jimbo's talk page that Awbrey's stuff is all his original research and therefore not permitted, and should be deleted. And Awbrey wants it all deleted since the attribution has been redacted. So they want the same outcome, but for different reasons. And the surviving editors want to keep the text, but deprive Awbrey of attribution."
Moulton says "Colloquy here on Jimbo's talk page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...Wales#JzG"
Moulton says "I wonder if Wikipedia is a good candidate for a RICO investigation. smile.gif"
Moonbeam agrees with "This is just poisonous. It's toxic. the whole thing is toxic."
Moonbeam is avoiding toxic this season.
Moulton says "They have this spaghetti platter of rules and guidelines and everything violates something or other on the platter. So it's RICO, where each partisan faction picks out the strand of spaghetti they invoke to bar the other faction. And it bounces back and forth."
Moulton says "SlimVirgin had tried to revise the guideline on Original Research to bolster her interpretation. Awbrey actually got thrown out partly because he fought for a more liberal interpretation of allowable OR using primary sources."

That's as far as we got before she begged off to go to bed for the night.

Anyway, if I can get the basic story straight, I think it would make for a good blog post on Media Ethics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.