Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you an ape?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Emperor
I'm sorry, I just love polls.

Check out Wikipedia's Ape Article :

the family Hominidae consisting of orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans,[1][2] collectively known as the "great apes".

Now go read just about any other general reference if you don't want to be an ape. That's if you can read, because we're not sure apes can do that.

Of course there is plenty of static in the talk page archive (cleverly buried behind a blank talk page) if you like that sort of thing.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 29th November 2007, 8:47pm) *

the family Hominidae consisting of orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans,[1][2] collectively known as the "great apes".

Now go read just about any other general reference if you don't want to be an ape. That's if you can read, because we're not sure apes can do that.

Of course there is plenty of static in the talk page archive (cleverly buried behind a blank talk page) if you like that sort of thing.

Funny thing, Inherit the Wind is on TCM in front of me as I write.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 29th November 2007, 6:47pm) *

Now go read just about any other general reference if you don't want to be an ape.

Are you reading creationist references again? Or something from the 1950s? David McDonald's comprehensive Encyclopedia of Mammals lists seven species of great ape: two chimp species, two gorilla species, two orangutan species, and Homo sapiens (humans). (pg 396).
Emperor
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Thu 29th November 2007, 9:12pm) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 29th November 2007, 6:47pm) *

Now go read just about any other general reference if you don't want to be an ape.

Are you reading creationist references again? Or something from the 1950s? David McDonald's comprehensive Encyclopedia of Mammals lists seven species of great ape: two chimp species, two gorilla species, two orangutan species, and Homo sapiens (humans). (pg 396).

Bah. I checked Encarta, Britannica, and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary before I came here. I've read books that described the family Pongidae that weren't too old as well, but I don't remember where. Either way, just because the taxonomists need to keep themselves in business by periodically reclassifying things doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to play along.

Also, the Great Ape Project owns Wikipedia.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 29th November 2007, 7:34pm) *

Bah. I checked Encarta, Britannica, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary before I came here.

But Encyclopedia Britannica online states in its opening sentence, "Any tailless primate of the families Hylobatidae (gibbons) and Hominidae (chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, gorillas, and human beings)."

I really don't think it's a mistake, or even an example of POV: it's just science. However, I hope you keep looking for these things. Your lung cancer expose was spot-on.
Emperor
That's really weird. The page I looked at in Britannica was http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9355561. It says it's the concise version.

Any of the tailless primates known as the lesser apes (gibbons and siamangs; family Hylobatidae) or the great apes (chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, and gorillas; family Hominidae).

Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence.
Somey

Don't be alarmed, ladies and gentlemen...
these chains are made of chrome steel!

FORUM Image

@$#%&!! pterodactyls! That'll teach you to poop on my head when
I'm trying to get intimate with the hot sacrificial blondes...

The Joy
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 29th November 2007, 10:25pm) *

Don't be alarmed, ladies and gentlemen...
these chains are made of chrome steel!

FORUM Image

@$#%&!! pterodactyls! That'll teach you to poop on my head when
I'm trying to get intimate with the hot sacrificial blondes...

Jimbo? Is that you? ohmy.gif
Somey
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 29th November 2007, 9:30pm) *

Hmmm... In retrospect, "hot sacrificial Bomis Babes" would have been funnier, but then it wouldn't have made sense that he was choking the pterodactyl.
The Joy
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 29th November 2007, 10:55pm) *

Hmmm... In retrospect, "hot sacrificial Bomis Babes" would have been funnier, but then it wouldn't have made sense that he was choking the pterodactyl.

WP:BADDINOSAURS? Run, Firsron, run!
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 29th November 2007, 11:55pm) *

Hmmm … In retrospect, "hot sacrificial Bomis Babes" would have been funnier, but then it wouldn't have made sense that he was choking the pterodactyl.

«choking the pterodactyl»

Funny, that's exactly what we called it at my old high school …

Jonny cool.gif
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 29th November 2007, 8:59pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 29th November 2007, 10:55pm) *

WP:BADDINOSAURS? Run, Firsron, run!

Heh. smile.gif Already got plenty of those.
guy
How many more times? Wikipedia is not concerned with truth but with what verifiable, reliable sources say. And reliable sources are those that Wikipedia policies define as reliable, e.g. JzG's iPod, not what you or I might think are reliable, e.g. Kobb??'s Complete Opera Book.
Yehudi
What is the question now placed before society with the glib assurance which to me is most astonishing? That question is this: Is man an ape or an angel? I, my lord, I am on the side of the angels. I repudiate with indignation and abhorrence those new fangled theories.

- Benjamin Disraeli
Emperor
Dag, I really got outvoted here!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.