Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Permanent removal of edits from history
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Cynick
Can someone remind me of the option available to certain Admins which allows them to remove edits from both articles AND article history?
thekohser
QUOTE(Cynick @ Fri 30th November 2007, 5:06pm) *

Can someone remind me of the option available to certain Admins which allows them to remove edits from both articles AND article history?

Are you talking about the Oversight feature?

Greg
Somey
There's also the ol' delete-and-then-restore-only-#-revisions trick... Sort of like "Oversight Lite"...
gomi
The first (true Oversight, available to only about a dozen admins) leaves no evidence trail to the average user or (I believe) normal admins. Other Oversight users can see that an Oversight was done, but not the deleted information. The second, which Somey calls "Oversight Lite" is really just a version of deletion, and normal users can see that it was done (in the page deletion logs), and admins can see the deleted revisions.

Others here have, by looking through old Wikipedia database dumps, established beyond a shadow of a doubt that certain Wikipedia admins, notably Jayjg, have mis-used the Oversight tool to protect themselves and their friends from scrutiny and embarrassment. Jimbo has had some of his own (retrospectively embarrassing) posts Oversighted. Much info on this is here on Wikipedia Review, and other can be found in Wikitruth.info.
guy
QUOTE(Cynick @ Fri 30th November 2007, 10:06pm) *

Oh, and welcome to WR, Cynick.
WordBomb
QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 30th November 2007, 7:00pm) *
Much info on this is here on Wikipedia Review, and other can be found in Wikitruth.info.
Wikitruth.info is a great site, but at the risk of appearing self-promotional, may I point out that the evidence of inappropriate oversights can be found on AntiSocialMedia.net.
Jonny Cache
Amazing Butt True Story —

When Wikipedia Admins get bored with the WP:IH (Internal Hairassment) of hapless at random Wikipedia contributors, one of their favorite reign-dear games is wheel warring over what kind of pic is featured at the top, er, bottom of this article.

Some wag who noticed Raul654's fascination with gluteal creases went and pasted a cameo of Raul654 in the featured frame.

It did get reverted, a surprisingly long time later, and only after getting rave reviews at this Review, butt Raul actually went to all the additional trouble of oversighting the offending edit, as you can tell if you track forward in the raw history display from the version shown above, where one edit line notes the reversion of an edit that no longer appears in the edit history.

So now you know all abutt what oversight is for — saving face.

Jonny cool.gif
gomi
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 30th November 2007, 3:55pm) *
at the risk of appearing self-promotional, may I point out that the evidence of inappropriate oversights can be found on AntiSocialMedia.net.

To spare WordBomb from the need to be more self-promotional, he is the one who has done most of the heavy lifting in this research, and deserves a great deal of credit. The restoration and mining of those dumps was no easy task. My apologies for omitting his site from my quick note.
Jonny Cache
A more interesting example of Oversight Abuse may be seen here — well, may be seen here the last time I looked —

Semeiotic&action=history

Semeiotic&diff=174861182&oldid=163798092

• (cur) (last) 17:04, 30 November 2007 KnowledgeOfSelf (Talk | contribs) m (3,910 bytes) (Reverted edits by Real World Apple (talk) to last version by JzG) (undo)
  • (cur) (last) 13:17, 11 October 2007 The Tetrast (Talk | contribs) (3,910 bytes) (→Bibliography - Replacing "CE" with "W", see main Charles Peirce article's Talk page, "Abbreviation") (undo)

Notice that «KnowledgeOfSelf» — talk about irony — speaks of reverting the version by «Real World Apple» to the version by «JzG», but no such versions appear in the history. Indeed, an unknown number of other edits between 11 Oct 2007 and 30 Nov 2007 may also have been oversighted.

What about the much vaunted Akashic Records of Wikipedia?

What about Open Process?

What about Transparency?

Fughettaboutit …

The basic principle that you see in practice here is this —

The Cabal will do whatever it damn well pleases, it will falsify any article, it will falsify any discussion page, it will falsify any revision history, and it will do so for any inconvenience, great or small, that the annoyances of accuracy and truth may put in its way.

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 30th November 2007, 9:18pm) *

A more interesting example of Oversight Abuse may be seen here — well, may be seen here the last time I looked —

Semeiotic&action=history

Semeiotic&diff=174861182&oldid=163798092

• (cur) (last) 17:04, 30 November 2007 KnowledgeOfSelf (Talk | contribs) m (3,910 bytes) (Reverted edits by Real World Apple (talk) to last version by JzG) (undo)
  • (cur) (last) 13:17, 11 October 2007 The Tetrast (Talk | contribs) (3,910 bytes) (→Bibliography - Replacing "CE" with "W", see main Charles Peirce article's Talk page, "Abbreviation") (undo)

Notice that «KnowledgeOfSelf» — talk about irony — speaks of reverting the version by «Real World Apple» to the version by «JzG», but no such versions appear in the history. Indeed, an unknown number of other edits between 11 Oct 2007 and 30 Nov 2007 may also have been oversighted.

What about the much vaunted Akashic Records of Wikipedia?

What about Open Process?

What about Transparency?

Fughettaboutit …

The basic principle that you see in practice here is this —

The Cabal will do whatever it damn well pleases, it will falsify any article, it will falsify any discussion page, it will falsify any revision history, and it will do so for any inconvenience, great or small, that the annoyances of accuracy and truth may put in its way.

Jonny cool.gif

Here's another example of the same thing —

Minimal negation operator&action=history

Minima negation operator&diff=174860858&oldid=146709894

• (cur) (last) 17:02, 30 November 2007 Chromaticity (Talk | contribs) m (11,639 bytes) (Reverted 1 edit by Real World Apple.) (undo)
  • (cur) (last) 06:38, 24 July 2007 Trovatore (Talk | contribs) (11,639 bytes) (dab ba) (undo)

In this case, all edits between 24 Jul 2007 and 30 Nov 2007, of which there were a very large number, have been wiped from the revision history.

Given a Cabal that feels perfectly free to tailor the historical record of the database to its liking, is there anything that is safe from their falsifications? — Is there any reason to trust anything in that database?

No, nothing is sacred if the truth is not.

Jonny cool.gif
Castle Rock
It wasn't oversight.

# 18:52, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) restored "Semeiotic" ‎ (32 revisions restored: Restore sans crap)
# 18:51, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) deleted "Semeiotic" ‎ (Removing crap form history)
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Fri 30th November 2007, 10:14pm) *

It wasn't oversight.

# 18:52, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) restored "Semeiotic" ‎ (32 revisions restored: Restore sans crap)
# 18:51, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) deleted "Semeiotic" ‎ (Removing crap form history)

Look, I don't care what you call it — geeks can argue over that till they are green in the face FORUM Image

Are we clear about the fact that this is a falsification of the record that appears in the revision history?

Jonny cool.gif
Castle Rock
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 30th November 2007, 6:19pm) *

QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Fri 30th November 2007, 10:14pm) *

It wasn't oversight.

Look, I don't care what you call it — geeks can argue over that till they are green in the face FORUM Image

Are we clear about the fact that this is a falsification of the record that appears in the revision history?

Jonny cool.gif

I was pointing out that it was JzG. Why does he have this obsession with you anyways? He obviously has no interest in philosophy or logic.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Fri 30th November 2007, 10:55pm) *

I was pointing out that it was JzG. Why does he have this obsession with you anyways? He obviously has no interest in philosophy or logic.

Of course I knew it was Guy Chapman behind it — even if he's not an overseer, how hard would it be to get some Cabalist to do his bidding? But thanks for the tip on an easier way to document the ToBeNamed Abuse.

Yes, it does seem passing strange that the very person who impugned my integrity all over the Wikienlist — accusing me of trying to warp WP:NOR just so I could adulterate the purity of Wikipedia's Unoriginality with what he lambasted as my Original Research — should be maintaining such a GawdAwful DeathGripe on the very work that so repulses his tender sensibilities.

Jon Awbrey

Dynamic Record —

QUOTE(All Logs @ Minimal Negation Operator)
  • 19:23, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) restored "Minimal negation operator" ‎ (102 revisions restored: Restore sans crap)
  • 19:22, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) deleted "Minimal negation operator" ‎ (Removing crap from history)
  • 10:53, 19 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) protected Minimal negation operator ‎ (Vandalism [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed] (expires 10:53, May 19, 2008 (UTC)))

QUOTE(All Logs @ Pragmatic Maxim)
  • 18:50, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) restored "Pragmatic maxim" ‎ (30 revisions restored: restorring non-crap)
  • 18:49, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) deleted "Pragmatic maxim" ‎ (Clearing crap from history)
  • 10:53, 19 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) protected Pragmatic maxim ‎ (Vandalism [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed] (expires 10:53, May 19, 2008 (UTC)))
  • 17:51, 21 December 2005 C12H22O11 (Talk | contribs) deleted "Pragmatic maxim" ‎ (no content)

QUOTE(All Logs @ Relation Composition)
  • 18:56, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) restored "Relation composition" ‎ (187 revisions restored: Restore sans crap)
  • 18:55, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) deleted "Relation composition" ‎ (Removing crap from history)
  • 19:35, 14 November 2007 Wknight94 (Talk | contribs) protected Relation composition ‎ (Move vandalism [move=sysop])
  • 18:36, 14 November 2007 Bare In Mind (Talk | contribs) moved Relation composition to User:Jon Awbrey/Relation composition ‎ (Userfying content identified as original research by Guy Chapman)

QUOTE(All Logs @ Semeiotic)
  • 18:52, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) restored "Semeiotic" ‎ (32 revisions restored: Restore sans crap)
  • 18:51, 30 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) deleted "Semeiotic" ‎ (Removing crap form history)
  • 10:53, 19 November 2007 JzG (Talk | contribs) protected Semeiotic ‎ (Vandalism [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed] (expires 10:53, May 19, 2008 (UTC)))
Jonny Cache
All of this got me to looking at the deletion log for JzG, and sure enough he does a LOT of this Delete And Restore (DARing DOO).

So I began to wonder — could Guy Chapman be Wikipedia's most prolific‡ History Re*Writer, in a word, the Stephen King of Histortury Tellers? Or have we but dipped our pen in a much bigger well of industrial strength disappearing ink?

Jon Awbrey

‡ Prolific doesn't seem like quite the right word for the mode of production proper to an Eraserhead like JustZapitGuy, but I'll have let it go until I can find or make a better word of it.
Cynick
Thanks for all the contributions, yes Oversight was the feature I had forgotten, and now I see the thread that I couldn't find earlier, "Uncovering track-covering".

I understand the need to remove copyright and libelous information, but not the reason to (a) remove the entry from the article history (b.) that Oversight does not leave a History entry, neither of which conflict with the official reason for Oversight.
WordBomb
QUOTE(Cynick @ Sat 1st December 2007, 5:11pm) *

Thanks for all the contributions, yes Oversight was the feature I had forgotten, and now I see the thread that I couldn't find earlier, "Uncovering track-covering".

I understand the need to remove copyright and libelous information, but not the reason to (a) remove the entry from the article history (b.) that Oversight does not leave a History entry, neither of which conflict with the official reason for Oversight.
I can't show you exactly where I read it, but as I was researching Oversight, I bumped into a comment by a member of ArbCom stating that Oversight was thrust upon them, nobody had asked for it, and at first they didn't even know whom to give it to. Eventually they settled upon the members of ArbCom itself.

I believe that happened on June 25, 2006, but have very strong evidence that Jayjg was (ab)using it as early as June 4, 2006. I'll tell you more about this if you care...it's really quite sordid.

I think Jayjg wanted Oversight primarily to remove edits that revealed his and SlimVirgin's sockpuppetry in such a way that hid it from rival admins who would use the information against them.

Edit: I found the reference to Oversight being handed down without warning here.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(WordBomb @ Sat 1st December 2007, 4:26pm) *

[I believe that happened on June 25, 2006, but have very strong evidence that Jayjg was (ab)using it as early as June 4, 2006. I'll tell you more about this if you care...it's really quite sordid.

More sordid, please.
Moulton
A fish rots from the head down.
jorge
So was it Danny who first arranged the creation of the Oversight tool? Do we know what developers/technicians were involved in implementing it? Why and how was Jayjg using it before the rest of the Arbcom even knew about it? Who told him how to use it?
Nya
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 30th November 2007, 7:42pm) *

When Wikipedia Admins get bored with the WP:IH (Internal Hairassment) of hapless at random Wikipedia contributors, one of their favorite reign-dear games is wheel warring over what kind of pic is featured at the top, er, bottom of this article.

Some wag who noticed Raul654's fascination with gluteal creases went and pasted a cameo of Raul654 in the featured frame.

It did get reverted, a surprisingly long time later, and only after getting rave reviews at this Review, butt Raul actually went to all the additional trouble of oversighting the offending edit, as you can tell if you track forward in the raw history display from the version shown above, where one edit line notes the reversion of an edit that no longer appears in the edit history.

Jonny cool.gif

The Oversighters have actually started Oversighted the revert edits as well, putatively to make the edit history unconfusing. That this makes it harder to tell that something was oversighted in the first place has not been discussed.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Nya @ Sun 2nd December 2007, 12:18pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 30th November 2007, 7:42pm) *

Jonny cool.gif

The Oversighters have actually started Oversighted the revert edits as well, putatively to make the edit history unconfusing. That this makes it harder to tell that something was oversighted in the first place has not been discussed.

Well, not discussed in any place where you can still see the discussion.

Wikipedia Oeuvre-Seers — We're Not Just Transparent, We're Invisible !!!

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.