Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Origins of the secret lists
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
anthony
Well, I suppose some of this is speculation, but from what has been made public it seems fairly likely that it's all related. Some of this information could be false, as I don't have access to check the primary documents. I haven't left anything in which I know to be false, and I've tried to link to sources for the information.
  • April 4, 2007: DennyColt requests for *.wikipediareview.com to be added to the spam blacklist for the English Wikipedia. "Not done as this is an issue with only one wiki's community wanting this link gone"
  • September 4, 2007: Sarah (SlimVirgin) requests an account on the private Foundation Wiki, saying that she's "currently doing some research into cyberstalking on Wikimedia projects, with a view to writing a paper proposing to the Foundation ways it might be alleviated". "Aphaia" declines the request, saying "you must be the board member or a high level staff of the Foundation, like Executive Director or General Counsel."
  • September 5, 2007: Sarah sends a message to various mailing lists and on a few wikis that she is writing a paper on cyberstalking and harassment and soliciting stories.
  • September 9, 2007: Guy Chapman, "without any discussion whatsoever, added antisocialmedia.net to the English Wikipedia spam blacklist"
  • September 12, 2007: Fred Bauder admits "There has been extensive discussion [about the spam blacklist addition], although not in a public forum. We have had enough of Judd Bagley and his site." and "The group who discussed this included the arbitration committee, the staff of Foundation, and SlimVirgin and others who have from time to time been victims of harassment or stalking. We listened particularly to the advice of those who have have been harassed."
  • ???: Cyberstalking list is created on Wikia to replace previous CC list.
  • September 19, 2007: Kelly Martin bookmarks WpCyberstalking Info Page
  • October 26, 2007: Miltopia is blocked by Jimmy, who promptly goes on vacation to avoid defending his action (this works much better than telling people the reasons are secret).
  • November 3, 2007: Lise sends secret email to Cyberstalking list, referring to a comment by PM regarding Miltopia block
  • Some time between November 3 and November 10, 2007: Investigations list is created "to separate discussions about general sockpuppetry from the cyberstalking list"
  • November 10, 2007: Sarah is subscribed to the investigations list "without being asked whether I wanted to be on it " She posts to one thread and makes 8 posts "to a thread about headers in e-mails" (not necessarily on the 10th, though)
  • November 18, 2007: !! is blocked and unblocked by Lise
  • November 22, 2007: "Giano II" posts Durova's Sekret Evidence to Wikipedia, shit hits the fan, etc.
  • November 26, 2007: Sarah unsubscribes from the investigations list.
I'll fill in more as I get the details.
Disillusioned Lackey
These people are nuts. huh.gif

Jimbo calls people on WR mental cases. I say he needs to look in the mirror. blink.gif

Oh, and in some interview today he's now denying there were lists at all. Total mental cases.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 4th December 2007, 8:36pm) *

Well, I suppose some of this is speculation, but from what has been made public it seems fairly likely that it's all related.
  • September 5, 2007: Sarah sends a message to various mailing lists and on a few wikis that she is writing a paper on cyberstalking and harassment and soliciting stories.
  • September 9, 2007: Guy Chapman, "without any discussion whatsoever, added antisocialmedia.net to the English Wikipedia spam blacklist"
  • September 12, 2007: Fred Bauder admits "There has been extensive discussion, although not in a public forum. We have had enough of Judd Bagley and his site." and "The group who discussed this included the arbitration committee, the staff of Foundation, and SlimVirgin and others who have from time to time been victims of harassment or stalking. We listened particularly to the advice of those who have have been harassed."
  • ???: Cyberstalking list is created on Wikia to replace previous CC list.
  • September 19, 2007: Kelly Martin bookmarks WpCyberstalking Info Page
  • October 26, 2007: Miltopia is blocked by Jimmy, who promptly goes on vacation to avoid defending his action (this works much better than telling people the reasons are secret).
  • November 3, 2007: Lise sends secret email to Cyberstalking list, referring to a comment by PM regarding Miltopia block
  • ???: Investigations list is created "to separate discussions about general sockpuppetry from the cyberstalking list"

You should go back in time further, and start with DennyColt. Look at the "wikipedia review" heading here. (The table of contents doesn't work on this copy; you have to scroll down to the section.)
anthony
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 5th December 2007, 2:50am) *

You should go back in time further, and start with DennyColt. Look at the "wikipedia review" heading here. (The table of contents doesn't work on this copy; you have to scroll down to the section.)

Is that directly related to the list? A timeline of everything related to BADSITES or Wikipedia Review or whatever would be great, but way too much work... Anyway, I'll add it per your suggestion, but I'm not sure where we're going with this.
guy
I can't find it at the moment, but there's a special Wiki for Foundation business. SlimVirgin applied for an account there to assist in her researches in stalking, but the request was declined.
Nathan
You mean this?
thekohser
Seeing Jimbo's comments on IRC about how Wikia's private mailing lists do tons of good for the world, I have applied to Wikia CEO Gil Penchina to have him host a private e-mail mailing list for us (invitation only, sorry JzG) to discuss public statements made by Jimmy Wales. I asked him to entitle the list "mimbojimbo-l". I'll keep everyone posted on the launch of that private mailing list. Gil should be approving it any minute now.

Greg
Yehudi
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Wed 5th December 2007, 2:45am) *

Jimbo calls people on WR mental cases.

No doubt one or two of you are in some way non-average, but just look at Wikipedia!
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 4th December 2007, 9:36pm) *
  • ???: Investigations list is created "to separate discussions about general sockpuppetry from the cyberstalking list"

Something to consider: SV was subscribed to it on November 10, so it would make sense to me that she would have been sought after to be a "founding member" of this list. [1]

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)

I was subscribed to the investigations list on or around November 10 without being asked whether I wanted to be on it (and I unsubscribed on or around November 26).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.