Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help WR write an article for Wikipedia!
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Daniel Brandt
Anyone who hasn't been banned yet, please help Wikipedia Review help out Wikipedia. We need to start an article on Jimbo's flashlight. It's notable — two articles in the New York Times by different reporters within a 15-month period. The second one even featured a picture of Jimbo's very own flashlight, taken by famous NYT photographer Preston Mack!

New York Times, August 13, 2006, by David Colman:
About the only thing he has that aspires to a higher ideal is, of all things, a flashlight. The SureFire M6 blasts the competition, which averages 60 lumens, with a 250-lumen light beam. The company bills it as a "searchlight disguised as a flashlight" and boasts that "SWAT teams use the lights to temporarily blind suspects at night."

"Who needs a baseball bat?" said Mr. Wales, who keeps his M6 on his bedside table not as a weapon but in case he, you know, needs a flashlight. "You have to love the kitsch of that, that there’s an assault flashlight now."

The $400 M6, which is eight inches long, holds six lithium batteries and is housed in aerospace-grade aluminum, is the product of a design school that might be called Modern Militant, the most familiar example of which is the Hummer. "It’s really, really, really, really bright," Mr. Wales said. "Anyone who tries to one-up me with their fancy car or whatever, I’ve got ’em. I say, ‘Well, I have a brighter flashlight.’"

Not that the flashlight was bought with one-upmanship in mind. As Mr. Wales explained: "We were living in California, there had been earthquakes and terrorist attacks, and we had these crappy $2 flashlights. I started reading flashlight-geek Web sites and just went crazy and got very into this. The M6 was like 10 times brighter than any normal flashlight."

Still, the flashlight sees very little active duty. He likes that it is there next to his bed, just in case. Even at rest, it functions as a little totem of safety and quality. "It’s almost like an object of art for me," he said.

New York Times, November 18, 2007, by Edward Lewine:
Prized possession: The SureFire M6, a super-powerful flashlight. I wanted a brighter flashlight and discovered a subcommunity of flashlight people online, and found that this is the ultimate. It is aesthetically pleasing because it is carved out of aluminum and is very small. It costs 400 bucks.

We need a picture. There's a picture of Jimbo's flashlight taken by the New York Times photographer in last month's article, but of course we cannot violate copyright. However, I found a picture from some online merchant that's the exact same thing. No one will suspect that this is not a picture of Jimbo's actual flashlight.
FORUM Image
Why do we need an article on Jimbo's flashlight? Well, for one thing it's far more notable than Jimbos favorite restaurant in South Africa. That article has 15 footnotes, but none are from the New York Times. And far more people will buy Jimbo's flashlight after reading a Wikipedia article, than will eat at that restaurant after reading Wikipedia.

Don't forget the handicapped, the house-bound, and even the bed-ridden. How will they ever get to Cape Town? But all of them can own the same flashlight that Jimbo's owns!
anthony
To clarify, you're suggesting that we create an article called "SureFire M6", or is this article about "Jimbo's particular instance of the SureFire M6"?
Emperor

I guess I could ask the Duke of Puke to write it, but he's been sulking ever since his Giano vote was cancelled.
The Joy
QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 5th December 2007, 10:22pm) *

I guess I could ask the Duke of Puke to write it, but he's been sulking ever since his Giano vote was cancelled.

And no one even came by his talk page to explain why his vote was struck! Such incivility!
badlydrawnjeff
This already exists.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 5th December 2007, 9:16pm) *

To clarify, you're suggesting that we create an article called "SureFire M6", or is this article about "Jimbo's particular instance of the SureFire M6"?

"Jimbo's flashlight," of course. No one will want to read about a silly $400 flashlight. It has to be Jimbo's $400 flashlight. That's what makes it worthy of the New York Times. It was the same story for that restaurant — Jimbo ate there, and Jimbo said "Um, good!" Now it's a fairly-long Wikipedia article.

But I'm a realist. You may not be able to get "Jimbo" in the title, or even in the first paragraph, without JzG swooping down and banning you, and then pecking your eyes out on WikiEN-l. Do the best you can. It's possible that Jimbo will ban JzG because he really, really, really, really likes his bright flashlight!
FORUM Image
Jimbo's bright flashlight
The Joy
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Wed 5th December 2007, 10:45pm) *

I noticed that too. Can anyone even hope to make an article about a specific model as opposed to just brand of flashlight?
Somey
We could try a photoshopping contest, like the sort of thing they do on worth1000.com...?

FORUM Image

I've been thinking about getting a new avatar, too... unsure.gif
Chaparral
I'm guessing the mucky-mucks will quickly AfD it and the best it could hope for is a re-direct to the SureFire article with a paragraph about Jimbo's ownership of one. Hope Somey's pic gets added.
Emperor
Yes those mucky-mucks sure don't mess around. They were all over the Duke within 30 seconds he says. Anyway the article is here: SureFire M6 Guardian.
Daniel Brandt
That's great, Somey. Reminds me of the discovery of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyessy.

"Open the pod bay door, Wikipedia."
"I'm sorry Jimbo, I'm afraid I can't do that."
thekohser
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 5th December 2007, 10:48pm) *

But I'm a realist. You may not be able to get "Jimbo" in the title, or even in the first paragraph, without JzG swooping down and banning you, and then pecking your eyes out on WikiEN-l. Do the best you can. It's possible that Jimbo will ban JzG because he really, really, really, really likes his bright flashlight!
FORUM Image

When did Brandt get this funny again? Hilarious paragraph. It's my "Wikipedia Review Paragraph of the Week".

Congratulations, Daniel.

Greg
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 5th December 2007, 8:55pm) *

Anyone who hasn't been banned yet, please help Wikipedia Review help out Wikipedia. We need to start an article on Jimbo's flashlight. It's notable — two articles in the New York Times by different reporters within a 15-month period. The second one even featured a picture of Jimbo's very own flashlight, taken by famous NYT photographer Preston Mack!

Daniel.

unsure.gif

Are you ok?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Thu 6th December 2007, 7:00am) *

Daniel.

unsure.gif

Are you ok?

No, I think that this is brilliant. The more absolutely ridiculous articles that we can create that are sourced, notable and make fun of Der König Jimbo I, the closer we are to showing WP for what it is: ie Jimbo's big bag 'o trivia....

If we can use Somey's photo, so much the better....
Poetlister
So, one Yavoh immediately asked for a speedy delete, but this was rejected by admin Hbdragon88 (born 1997), an editor whose primary interests is video games and fiction-related articles. Yavoh then added a tag that the article was too long (!). FCYTravis (a member of the LGBT community) has also taken an interest, so I'd guess it's safe for a little while.
Moulton

QUOTE(NYT Article)
"Who needs a baseball bat?" said Mr. Wales, who keeps his M6 on his bedside table not as a weapon but in case he, you know, needs a flashlight. "You have to love the kitsch of that, that there’s an assault flashlight now."

FORUM Image

Don't overlook the obvious fact that this device, with its patented rib design and high-energy power source also doubles as a handy dildo.
Jonny Cache
You could paste a transparency of Durova's face on the bizness end — no, the other bizness end — and shine it on the darkening clouds over Gaytham City like a Batsignal …

Be careful how you parse «Batsignal» …

Jonny cool.gif
Herschelkrustofsky

FORUM Image

Jimbo's remarks do betray a freudulent fixation on the diminutive but ostensively potent unit.
Somey

FORUM Image
Daniel Brandt
Somey, can you do anything with this?
FORUM Image

Emperor
Well, the Duke o Puke is dead. Long live the Duke.

If anyone is interested in preserving the SureFire M6 Guardian article, you'd better pick up the flag within the next five days.

So far the AfD is 2 to 2. Paul August and Fred Bauder want to keep it. Lawrence Cohen and The Epopt want to delete.

I'm still trying to figure out what was so offensive about the Duke o Puke's name. He's very upset about this.
Daniel Brandt
Should we start a petition to ask Jimbo to unblock? Knowing that his flashlight is now at risk, I think we have at least a 50/50 chance. (Pssst — maybe we can get a New York Times reporter interested in this. They like the flashlight almost as much as Jimbo does!)
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 6th December 2007, 1:18pm) *

Somey, can you do anything with this?
FORUM Image

After you do something with the flashlight I think giving the apes typewriters would be a nice touch.
Daniel Brandt
Well, in the movie they picked up a big bone to use as a club, and started beating the hell out of each other. That seems more accurate than a typewriter if you're thinking about Wikipedia.
Jonny Cache
Sorry, I always get mixed up about the UK-isms —

The M5 Torch is for Internal Surveillance and the M6 Torch is for External Surveillance, or is it the other way around?

And where does TorchWood come in?

Jonny cool.gif
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 6th December 2007, 1:32pm) *

The M5 Torch is for Internal Surveillance and the M6 Torch is for External Surveillance, or is it the other way around?

I dunno. Which is the "bizness" end? It might be AC/DC.
The Joy
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 6th December 2007, 2:04pm) *

Well, the Duke o Puke is dead. Long live the Duke.

If anyone is interested in preserving the SureFire M6 Guardian article, you'd better pick up the flag within the next five days.

So far the AfD is 2 to 2. Paul August and Fred Bauder want to keep it. Lawrence Cohen and The Epopt want to delete.

I'm still trying to figure out what was so offensive about the Duke o Puke's name. He's very upset about this.

I notice that The Epopt blocked Duke of Puke and has voted delete in the flashlight article's AFD.
Emperor
Well since I am such a rabid inclusionist, I've let the Duke write his article on the Encyclopedia Nova Caesarea. Here it is: http://encyc.org/SureFireM6Guardian.

As far as the block of the Duke goes, I agree that it's kind of fishy to block someone and then vote against them in a motion to delete their article.
Somey

FORUM Image

The Joy
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 6th December 2007, 3:53pm) *

FORUM Image

Oh, man! I remember this movie! Mantanmoreland came around bullying WordBomb and WordBomb totally picked up a femur bone and totally smacked the living daylights out of Mantanmoreland.

Then the flashlight spoke and talked of needing peace, love, and understanding... and afterwards told Giano he'd be banned and where he could stick his FA articles.

Sigh... the remakes are never as good as the originals. sad.gif
KamrynMatika
Is this being discussed on the ArbCom mailing list or something? Out of the 6 people who voted so far, 3 are arbs and one is an ex arb. Weird.
guy
Ask Fred Bauder to unblock, as he likes the article. Also contact the two admins Poetlister mentioned. (Can there really be an admin born in 1997 or is that when he adopted that username?)

Moulton
Thus spake Sarah Clue SPA?
Daniel Brandt
Damn, I think I got the quotation wrong here:

FORUM Image
I think it should be, "We must shine the flashlight of my beneficence..."

Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 6th December 2007, 2:04pm) *

Meanwhile, this article seems to be getting along just fine (here's hoping I don't jinx it.)

Incidentally, Daniel, kudos on the correct use of the second person familiar "ye" in the topic title.
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Thu 6th December 2007, 9:26pm) *
Is this being discussed on the ArbCom mailing list or something? Out of the 6 people who voted so far, 3 are arbs and one is an ex arb. Weird.

Wild, crazy, theory.

Robert Anton Wilson made much hay out of the "SNAFU principle", or how the higher levels of hierarchical organizations, over time, get badly distorted view of reality because the lower levels are (in practice) selected to be obsequious bootlickers. "Communication is possible only between equals", as RAW said.

Now, the better people at the top of such things are going to be aware of this, and naturally seek out uncontaminated sources of information and advice. Especially from sworn blood enemies or competitors.

Which is one reason, inter alia, that some ArbCom people and other higher-ups (a notable exception is probably Jimbo) at That Project are without doubt closely monitoring the traffic here and other "BADSITES". Or perhaps they don't have to encourage their lowly minions(*) do the surveillance, but simply instruct them to send the raw intercepts?

Ok, ok. Maybe not enough hierarchy yet. But given enough time...

(*) Consider Durova and her paranoid tendencies. She reminds me of the Delano character in Kessel's "Good News From Outer Space", who received secret instructions from the President via the television...
Amarkov
This seems to be headed to a "no consensus" decision. With my vote, there's a slight majority for keeping it.

And for anyone who's lurking here to catch me incriminating myself, I do actually think that the article should be kept.
Emperor
The Duke is still blocked but I think he has a case for getting unblocked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Duk...as_I_blocked.3F. At least his article lives on.
The Joy
QUOTE(Emperor @ Fri 7th December 2007, 12:37pm) *

The Duke is still blocked but I think he has a case for getting unblocked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Duk...as_I_blocked.3F. At least his article lives on.

It appears to have moved to AN/I. The Epopt's actions towards the Duke are being heavily scrutinized, it seems. But it looks like things are getting better for him. Looks like he'll have to change his name, though.
Joseph100

New York Times, August 13, 2006, by David Colman:
About the only thing he has that aspires to a higher ideal is, of all things, a flashlight. The SureFire M6 blasts the competition, which averages 60 lumens, with a 250-lumen light beam. The company bills it as a "searchlight disguised as a flashlight" and boasts that "SWAT teams use the lights to temporarily blind suspects at night."

The $400 M6, which is eight inches long, holds six lithium batteries and is housed in aerospace-grade aluminum, is the product of a design school that might be called Modern Militant, the most familiar example of which is the Hummer. "It’s really, really, really, really bright," Mr. Wales said. "Anyone who tries to one-up me with their fancy car or whatever, I’ve got ’em. I say, ‘Well, I have a brighter flashlight.’"

Not that the flashlight was bought with one-upmanship in mind. As Mr. Wales explained: "We were living in California, there had been earthquakes and terrorist attacks, and we had these crappy $2 flashlights. I started reading flashlight-geek Web sites and just went crazy and got very into this. The M6 was like 10 times brighter than any normal flashlight."

Still, the flashlight sees very little active duty. He likes that it is there next to his bed, just in case. Even at rest, it functions as a little totem of safety and quality. "It’s almost like an object of art for me," he said.

New York Times, November 18, 2007, by Edward Lewine:
Prized possession: The SureFire M6, a super-powerful flashlight. I wanted a brighter flashlight and discovered a subcommunity of flashlight people online, and found that this is the ultimate. It is aesthetically pleasing because it is carved out of aluminum and is very small. It costs 400 bucks.

We need a picture. There's a picture of Jimbo's flashlight taken by the New York Times photographer in last month's article, but of course we cannot violate copyright. However, I found a picture from some online merchant that's the exact same thing. No one will suspect that this is not a picture of Jimbo's actual flashlight.
FORUM Image
Why do we need an article on Jimbo's flashlight? Well, for one thing it's far more notable than Jimbos favorite restaurant in South Africa. That article has 15 footnotes, but none are from the New York Times. And far more people will buy Jimbo's flashlight after reading a Wikipedia article, than will eat at that restaurant after reading Wikipedia.

Don't forget the handicapped, the house-bound, and even the bed-ridden. How will they ever get to Cape Town? But all of them can own the same flashlight that Jimbo's owns!

All Ye Socks Rise up and take the banner of the Jimbo flashlight...
thekohser
I find this hilarious: the Duke o Puke is banned by The Epopt at the same time Epopt votes to delete the flashlight article. Epopt purports that it's because he was offended by the word "puke". The Duke tries to change his user name, but he's blocked from doing that, too.

So, in order to save wiki-face and not call Epopt a prick like he apparently is, Alison has to go through all of this rigmarole to get to a solution:

Unblocking

Ok, User:The Epopt appears to be away at the moment and this unblock is now over on Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents so I'm reviewing this block. As your edits appear to be in good faith and as you've been blocked for an inappropriate username per your userpage (not your block log, for some reason), I'm willing to unblock your account for the sole purpose of registering a rename request over on the Wikipedia:Changing username page. When this has been done, I will reblock this account name only until the rename is complete. After that is done, you will be free to edit again. I'm assuming good faith as to your intents here based on your edit history, all that Brandt stuff aside.

If you agree to this, just let me know and I can unblock to allow you to file a username change - Alison ❤ 01:03, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Ok unblock me and I'll ask to change the name. Thanks for the help. Duke o Puke 01:19, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Great! Just allow a little time here for the blocking admin to respond. If he doesn't, I'll unblock - Alison ❤ 01:35, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

I will not object to an unblock. I will request that he use only one of his accounts. ➥the Epopt (talk) 02:19, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Y

Your request to be unblocked has been granted for the following reason(s):

To allow account rename

Request handled by: Alison ❤ 02:24, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Hi there. Okay, you're unblocked now, per our agreement. Just head over to Wikipedia:Changing username, and file for your name to be changed, and all will be good. Leave a note for the 'crat to block this account, name-only, when you're moved. And to The Epopt's comment above, best off sticking to one account for editing. Thanks for being patient - Alison ❤ 02:24, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

I still can't edit under this name or as the Duck. It says something about autoblock. About creating a second account I didn't intend to use both I was only trying to move on from this one without having to deal with any sort of bureaucratic process. Duke o Puke 03:58, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Umm - lemme just fix that autoblock. Hold on ... - Alison ❤ 04:01, 8 December 2007 (UTC)
Can you post the Autoblock ID here, please? It should be in the block dialog, as I'm not finding it right now. Sorry about all this - Alison ❤ 04:03, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Autoblock ID: 717359 Duke o Puke 04:04, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Should be cleared now. Give it a while - an hour or so - and you should be okay. I'll keep watch here - Alison ❤ 04:09, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

ok I'll try tomorrow. It's getting late. Thanks for your help. Duke o Puke (talk) 04:13, 8 December 2007 (UTC)
I just noticed the incident report says resolved. Not until I'm unblocked, please. Duke o Puke (talk) 04:25, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

It's unbelievable the amount of time that we can generate in the "Waste" column on Wikipedia, just by spending a couple of minutes here dreaming up cheeky ideas that these asshats just can't learn to tolerate because "their" encyclopedia is so sacred and important. I've got two words to go with your "sacred and important":

Mzoli's Meats.

That is all.

Greg
The Joy
The Epopt was very determined to keep the Duke blocked, it seems. He even says "I will not wheel war" which to me sounds like "I don't want him unblocked but it seems things aren't going well for me so I'll reluctantly agree to it."

Madness.
Herschelkrustofsky
The M6 Guardian craze is getting noticed. Meanwhile, the SureFire article with extended Jimmy quotes is stable.
Disillusioned Lackey
Mindless puppets. laugh.gif

The kiddies went and re-factored an ANI page after a Kohs giggle-post that noone responded to Durova's offer of a barnstar for Wikigeeks work. They oversighted history to make an offer. HU12 did it. Weird.
Piperdown
QUOTE(The Joy @ Sat 8th December 2007, 2:05am) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Fri 7th December 2007, 12:37pm) *

It appears to have moved to AN/I. The Epopt's actions towards the Duke are being heavily scrutinized, it seems. But it looks like things are getting better for him. Looks like he'll have to change his name, though.

Alison appears to be a good egg.
Emperor
The Duke has become the Duck, and voted to keep his flashlight article. He also seems to not like the Epopt very much. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=176629076
thekohser
And so, it appears they have deleted this excellent article because its creator was a "banned user"?

What does that say of all the other contributors to the article and those who voted for its retention in the AfD? Wikipediots are running so roughshod over good contributors, I will not be surprised if someone eventually reacts with an act of violence.

Sorry to say it, but seeing what happened at the Omaha shopping mall, and seeing how unstable many of these Wikinuts are, I can only estimate the odds of something truly awful happening in the near future.

Damn, that was a good article about a very notable flashlight.

Greg

POSTLOGUE:
Wait, I see in the AfD notes that "Anyone is welcome to recreate this page in good faith without stalking Jimbo, but serving as Brandt's proxy is unacceptable." Must... protect... Jimbo...
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 9th December 2007, 4:38pm) *

And so, it appears they have deleted this excellent article because its creator was a "banned user"?

No dummy, they deleted because they all read Wikipedia Review, and know that Brandt proposed WR'ers edit (or start?) the article.
thekohser
Daniel Brandt wields great power now. Whatever he recommends, the opposite is shortly carried out on Wikipedia. Daniel, may I suggest that you strongly advocate for the following here:

* That any reference in the Wikia article suggesting it is in any way related to the Wikimedia Foundation, be redacted and the article protected from all editing.

* That an article be created for Wikipedia Review.com, and have it full of criticisms and libelous statements about my "giving misleading information to journalists".

* That any reference whatsoever to the Wikipedia Review or any link to any page on it, be immediately oversighted.

Wait, we wouldn't want the opposite of that last one to happen, because we're more popular now than before BADSITES. This is so damn confusing.

Actually, scratch everything above. Like the deletion of the Angela Beesley article, the deletion of the SureFire flashlight article ALSO shows that Wikipedia cannot tolerate the even-handed application of Wikipedia's own policies. It is another victory for the Wikipedia Review; another bullet-point in our easy-to-understand list of "reasons why Wikipedia is insane".

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.