Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rray wants to recreate the Daniel Brandt article
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Disillusioned Lackey
From the Angela AFD.

God. WHAT an idiot.

* Comment Questionable notability might be an issue, but why should whether or not the person wants an article play into it at all? Rray (talk) 21:35, 7 December 2007 (UTC)

* Because no one is more deeply affected by the existence of a Wikipedia biography than its living subject. Also because - as the long Daniel Brandt debacle showed - it's a waste of everyone's time to stand on rigid principle in these borderline cases. Wikipedia and the public haven't lost much by making Seth Finkelstein a redlink, Seth's happier, and site volunteers have more time on their hands for other productive endeavors. I think the question should be, why should we not delete or merge/redirect if Ms. Beesley wants it? Any encyclopedic content could go into other articles. DurovaCharge! 21:50, 7 December 2007 (UTC)

* We should not delete the article just because Ms. Beesley wants it unless we're willing to delete any article whose subject requests deletion. I gave your "dead trees" guideline idea some thought before expressing an opinion here. But I think it's too subjective, and it seems like a rationale for helping someone out with a preference, which IMO is a weak rationale. We would presumably refuse to delete the Warren Buffett or Stephen King articles if they requested it. So we shouldn't delete any article just because the subject requests it. The Wikipedia already has a lower standard of notability than a paper encyclopedia. I might favor an increase in the notability standard, but just deleting an article because the subject requests it just seems silly. And I don't see how having an article written about you is going to "deeply affect" you. Even if it does, what if it "deeply affects" Bill Clinton? The rationale should be applied to everyone if it's applied at all. Rray (talk) 23:30, 7 December 2007 (UTC)

* I put some very hard thought into the matter before deciding on the "dead trees standard" for precisely the reasons you articulate. It would be hard to write an encyclopedia of horror literature without an entry for Stephen King, for example. At some point of notability people are actual public figures who have press agents of their own to handle potential problems. Roughly that corresponds to where a specialty encyclopedia of XYZ starts to cover them. At any rate, it's the kind of standard that people could actually go to a library and check and cite to settle a debate. If you have a better idea then by all means present it. This was the best I could do. DurovaCharge! 23:38, 7 December 2007 (UTC)

* I know you did put hard thought into it, and I mean no disrespect by disagreeing with you. I think a better idea is if they meet our notability criteria, then we don't delete their article based on their request. If that's not acceptable, we should revise our notability criteria. Having two notability criteria so that we can justify deleting articles as a courtesy to their subject seems unfair to the people who meet the proposed dead trees criteria. Rray (talk) 23:51, 7 December 2007 (UTC)

* Would you rather restore Daniel Brandt's biography, with all the conflict that carried? If we follow your reasoning then we'd have to to the same thing for everybody, not just people with Foundation ties. DurovaCharge! 00:08, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

* I'm not that familiar with the debate there, but I think he's certainly notable enough to warrant his own article here. Was there something different about his situation? (Besides him not being associated with the Foundation?) Rray (talk) 00:18, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

* I clicked on the link for Brandt's AfD discussion, but it looks like the actual discussion has been blanked. Based on the reasons cited, then yeah, I would say restore his article. Rray (talk) 00:23, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

* Courtesy blanked but not deleted.[18] See also Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Daniel Brandt deletion wheel war. I believe there was an earlier arbitration also, but I really wasn't involved in any of the first 13 deletion nominations or the surrounding drama. DurovaCharge! 00:27, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

This kind of thing is what makes Wikipedia so dangerous.
The Joy
Daniel, get your WP Watch ready. Someone's about to get his own bio: Rray!
Disillusioned Lackey
WIKIPEDIA™

Because we own everybody's lives

You know - I'm not a fan of vandalizing Wikipedia.

But I think that this enterprising, yet ignorant and unobservant young man, so eager to share his good opinion with the masses, should, before he makes such wide-sweeping statements, allow himself to have a BLP, which we will all collectively go and vandalize.

ALLLL the live long day. Bizarre allegations. Weird family history. Embarassing pecadillos. Pet Armadillos. Incurable STD. Hidden personal tragedy. Brief flirtation with secret-sexuality. Embarassing arrest in compromising clothing. Wart on his ass.

He's 20-something, and he thinks he as the right to invade someone's life like that.

I SWEAR.
Robster
It's the "because Wikipedia says you're notable" argument that scares me.

Who the HELL is "Wikipedia" -- whoever it is at any given moment -- to make that decision?

This is where they need functioning adult supervision -- non-volunteer -- to make editorial decisions based on published and clearly-understandable criteria.

Not "hell, it'd be fun to write that biography".

Sheesh.
Disillusioned Lackey

QUOTE(Robster @ Fri 7th December 2007, 8:17pm) *

It's the "because Wikipedia says you're notable" argument that scares me.Who the HELL is "Wikipedia" -- whoever it is at any given moment -- to make that decision?

He's not even saying "Wikipedia". He's arguing with Durova as if it were a brand new idea, and he just came up with the idea to fix it.

Idiot's been on Wikipedia for 2 years and has paid so little attention to anything that he doesn't know what a big deal this is and he's spouting off like he's professor I know what.
QUOTE(Robster @ Fri 7th December 2007, 8:17pm) *

This is where they need functioning adult supervision -- non-volunteer -- to make editorial decisions based on published and clearly-understandable criteria. Not "hell, it'd be fun to write that biography".

I think a babysitter might be more in order.

On the other hand, his occupation of Durova's time is highly appropriate. This is perfect for her. She gets to give advice to someone who makes her repeat it over, and over and over and over. smile.gif
Daniel Brandt
There's a zero net learning curve at Wikipedia. There's a lot of churn (turnover) at the bottom, and there's no leadership at the top. By the time any admin gets more experienced, she either turns into a SlimVirgin who gets her way through secret conspiracies, or he turns into someone with his helmet on too tight, like JzG. There are a few sane editors who can see Wikipedia for what it is after they've been around a while. Those tend to leave Wikipedia.

Jimbo has no idea that this is going on. Most on the Foundation Board of Trustees know this is happening, but they don't want to talk about it because they're all looking forward to those expense-paid trips to San Francisco.

This analysis excludes a fair number of decent editors and admins. They work primarily on scientific articles, where there's not nearly so much noise. It's the social, cultural, and historical articles, and the BLP articles, that create so many problems. This is where a liberal arts education becomes important. I question whether the typical high school student who plays video games, and creates term papers out of pasting material from Google searches, is getting such an education.
Amarkov
There's something to be said for a standard of inclusion that is independent of the subject's wishes. But such a standard cannot coexist with other standards that provide no obligation to determine if things are true. It probably shouldn't coexist with a horribly low bar for inclusion, but that's more debatable.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Sat 8th December 2007, 3:05am) *

There's something to be said for a standard of inclusion that is independent of the subject's wishes. But such a standard cannot coexist with other standards that provide no obligation to determine if things are true.

That's exactly it. Unless and until someone takes good old-fashioned responsibility for every word published on Wikipedia, they have no business even mentioning the names of living people, let alone writing biographies about them.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Fri 7th December 2007, 9:05pm) *

There's something to be said for a standard of inclusion that is independent of the subject's wishes. But such a standard cannot coexist with other standards that provide no obligation to determine if things are true. It probably shouldn't coexist with a horribly low bar for inclusion, but that's more debatable.

The truth standard is fundamental in U.S. libel law. It's not defamatory if it's true. But beyond that we have a distinction between public persons and private persons in U.S. law. If your target is a public person and you publish a false statement, your actions have to be malicious. If your target is a private person and you publish a false statement, you are liable even if it was inadvertent.

Beyond this, there are also invasion of privacy statutes in many states, including Florida where the Wikipedia servers are located. Especially if you are a private person, if something true about you is published that is not particularly important to the public's right to know, then even though it was true it could still be actionable.

The question of damages gets interesting once Wikipedia is found liable. When you come up number one in a Google search for your name, thanks to all that internal linking by Wikipedia that is designed to juice up its search-engine rankings, it's roughly a thousand times worse than appearing on a back page in the New York Times. You could prove this quite easily to a jury, just by throwing statistics at them. Many job applicants are getting googled before getting called for an interview, for example. In Finland it is illegal for a prospective employer to google an applicant, but it's not illegal anywhere else in the world, as far as I know.
wikiwhistle
Hey, I like Rray smile.gif

I can see that them keeping the Brandt article for so long was mainly down to vindictiveness. But I don't think most subjects should be able to remove articles about themselves unless they are not very notable at all. Because any of the press is allowed to write articles about people.

As to accountability there is the OTRS, also they do try to remove anything derogatory about people that isn't sourced (unless it's about their enemies, perhaps). I really think that they are emphasising the BLP policy more, and more nasty comments are being removed. (maybe they are getting more paranoid/aware of thheir legal position.)

At the end of the day it's a large site. I've not looked at the wikipedia disclaimer, but on sites such as proboards it usually says something like 'we will try and take anything that is false, defamatory etc down as soon as possible' .

No-one's omniscient, except maybe Jimbo smile.gif
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Fri 7th December 2007, 9:28pm) *

Hey, I like Rray smile.gif

I can see that them keeping the Brandt article for so long was mainly down to vindictiveness. But I don't think most subjects should be able to remove articles about themselves unless they are not very notable at all. Because any of the press is allowed to write articles about people.

As to accountability there is the OTRS, also they do try to remove anything derogatory about people that isn't sourced (unless it's about their enemies, perhaps). I really think that they are emphasising the BLP policy more, and more nasty comments are being removed. (maybe they are getting more paranoid/aware of thheir legal position.)

At the end of the day it's a large site. I've not looked at the wikipedia disclaimer, but on sites such as proboards it usually says something like 'we will try and take anything that is false, defamatory etc down as soon as possible' .

Bzzzzzt! Wrong answer!

OTRS doesn't work in my experience. Also, it requires the subject of the article to check every day for the rest of his life for any recent false statements in the bio. That's an unreasonable requirement.

Finally, there is no appeal beyond OTRS to the legal owner of Wikipedia. There's a disconnect between OTRS and the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The Board pretends it's a service provider and not a publisher, and therefore the Board presumes that it is immune under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. If you file a case in Florida against the Foundation for defamation or invasion of privacy, chances are that Mike Godwin will try to get it kicked into federal court for a ruling on 230. You're looking at about five years of legal wrangling at that point. Then when you win, you can go back to state court in Florida and discuss the merits of your defamation or privacy claim. Do you have any idea how expensive this would be?

Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself on these issues? They've been covered exhaustively on this Board, as well as on Wikipedia-Watch, for well over a year now. Like I said, there is zero net learning curve on these issues because there's no leadership at the top. In order for the situation to improve, we need some firm decrees from the Foundation as to what is and is not acceptable. They won't do this because they're afraid it will weaken their presumed immunity.
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Sat 8th December 2007, 3:44am) *

Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself on these issues? They've been covered exhaustively on this Board, as well as on Wikipedia-Watch, for well over a year now. Like I said, there is zero net learning curve on these issues because there's no leadership at the top. In order for the situation to improve, we need some firm decrees from the Foundation as to what is and is not acceptable. They won't do this because they're afraid it will weaken their presumed immunity.

Yes I've heard of that on slashdot etc, that what they claim is really not legally valid.

However you can see that they are making desparate steps to remedy any poossible aggro-

Look at the changes such as less notable people being able to opt for deletion of their article etc, your own article finally went, and I think Angela's will this time by the looks of it.

Even if they call themselves a service provider rather than publisher they're not without liability, such as ISPs are supposed to take away someone's internet if they behave dodgily online.

I'm not a lawyer lol but you can see that their policy over the BLP articles, and mentioning individuals in articles, has changed some.
thekohser
I've had to adopt my "reverse-psychology" angle again. I would like to see the Beesley article blanked and salted.

This will have much more impact when pointing out to the press and on the lecture circuit that "Even one of the earliest Board members of Wikipedia and the co-founder of Wikia, Inc. is so terrified of what can happen to a person immortalized on Wikipedia, that she repeatedly demanded her own article be taken down until it finally was."

You can't BUY bad PR like that, folks.

Greg
Disillusioned Lackey

As to accountability there is the OTRS, also they do try to remove anything derogatory about people that isn't sourced (unless it's about their enemies, perhaps).

You really think its funny or cute that they can refuse someone that they don't like? That's disgusting. I've seen them ignore many a legitimate OTRS, just because some crackpot said, "no, dont do it". That is (drumroll) corrupt.

The only "omni" applicable to Jimbo is "vore" ohmy.gif

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 8th December 2007, 12:37am) *

I've had to adopt my "reverse-psychology" angle again. I would like to see the Beesley article blanked and salted.

This will have much more impact when pointing out to the press and on the lecture circuit that "Even one of the earliest Board members of Wikipedia and the co-founder of Wikia, Inc. is so terrified of what can happen to a person immortalized on Wikipedia, that she repeatedly demanded her own article be taken down until it finally was."

You can't BUY bad PR like that, folks.

Greg

Suggest you change your avatar to Angela's picture with the blurb "save angela - take down her BLP"
Moulton
Arrested Development

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 7th December 2007, 9:54pm) *
There's a zero net learning curve at Wikipedia.

What learning curve there is cycles erratically around a net long-term flatline with negligible average growth.

Wikipedia is gaining weight, but obesity is not the kind of growth one looks for in a compendium of all human knowledge.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 7th December 2007, 9:26pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Fri 7th December 2007, 9:05pm) *

The truth standard is fundamental in U.S. libel law. It's not defamatory if it's true. But beyond that we have a distinction between public persons and private persons in U.S. law. If your target is a public person and you publish a false statement, your actions have to be malicious. If your target is a private person and you publish a false statement, you are liable even if it was inadvertent.

Beyond this, there are also invasion of privacy statutes in many states, including Florida where the Wikipedia servers are located. Especially if you are a private person, if something true about you is published that is not particularly important to the public's right to know, then even though it was true it could still be actionable.

The question of damages gets interesting once Wikipedia is found liable. When you come up number one in a Google search for your name, thanks to all that internal linking by Wikipedia that is designed to juice up its search-engine rankings, it's roughly a thousand times worse than appearing on a back page in the New York Times. You could prove this quite easily to a jury, just by throwing statistics at them. Many job applicants are getting googled before getting called for an interview, for example. In Finland it is illegal for a prospective employer to google an applicant, but it's not illegal anywhere else in the world, as far as I know.

The definition of being private and being in the “public eye” in many cases has quite a bit to do with whether or not the motive (and there may be no motive at all) on the part of the person in question was, in fact, an attempt to get notoriety. A convicted bank robber may not have set out to get caught and by rights, his arrest and conviction becomes part of a public record. Does said conviction make him notable? If anyone prints that information about the convicted criminal, it can be very damaging. Further, what if they have the wrong guy, or what if it is later proven that the conviction is overturned?

It is obvious that many people, including Angela B. set out to become notable. (She looks more like 45 than 30, to me.)

The Wikipedia people are getting pretty good about keeping things true and accurate but they are a long way from securing articles, preserving them and protecting them from vandals. The notable person should be able to verify information and, indeed, add to the editing at the talk level as Angela has tried to do with her article.

Once notable, there is no going back. There should not be any two tiered system if the public consensus says it stays. Many people do not want to have their privacy tampered with and the best way for that to happen is never become notable.

Define terms, let the notable person add the verifiable truth on the talk page of the article and protect the article from vandals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.