Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unhappy with "Wikipedia Politics", to Jimbo from: disillusioned Wiipedian (Not me) -
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Disillusioned Lackey
Jimbo blames Register article on unhappiness of disillusioned Wikipedian. Shoots messenger, message? What Message?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jim...ioned_Wiipedian.

[edit] The Politics of Wikipedia.

When I discovered Wikipedia a few years ago, I almost immediately become enthralled. I got so into it after a while that I decided to "be bold" and contribute.

Over the course of the past year I've become rather discouraged as I've discovered that just like any big corporation, Wikipedia has it's share of "bigwig Pinheads" as well.

Common sense is thrown out the window here far to often.

Unless you happen to "have the right connections", then being a Wikipeian can't amount to much more than correcting spelling errors and punctuation.

Start a new article on what common sense dictates should, be a "notable" subject and the wikiclique will deem it "not notable" (while not applying the same standards to other similar articles). I guess it's about who you know. sad.gif

After that, your optons are arbitration. And you know what? Most people have better things to do with their lives than jump through (what seem to any rational person to be) needlessly unnecessary "hoops" to get anything corrected here.

And if all this weren't bad enough, I come across this and this today.

What is wrong with this place? I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be "open"? --angrykeyboarder (a/k/a:Scott) (talk) 01:13, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Jimbo, please note that this is further evidence that others have noticed some of the same issues that I've noticed. Have you reached out to this edtor to ask him why he/she feels this way? Perhaps you, or somebody with some authority and a good faith reason to be here, should. Cla68 (talk) 13:34, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

It looks like part of why he feels this way is that he read the news stories that you contributed to which spread this nonsense about "secret mailing lists" and similar stuff. The other thing he seems upset about is an AfD for "zorpia". I will try to find the time to look that up but the google link he gives does not seem very helpful.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 20:36, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

Moulton
The Politics of Wikipedia.
Unless you happen to "have the right connections", then being a Wikipeian can't amount to much more than correcting spelling errors and punctuation.

I hate to be relegated to such a low level of participation here, but the correct spelling is Wikipeon.

And the comma goes inside the quote marks.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 9th December 2007, 4:18pm) *

And the comma goes inside the quote marks.

No, that standard changed a few years back, partly on account of the use of formal language theory in computer science.

«Use punctuation, don't mention it.»

Jon Awbrey
dtobias
That "punctuation goes in quote marks" thing is an idiotic typographers convention that was apparently only popular in the U.S., not in Britain, where more logical punctuation style tended to be used. Computer geeks tend to prefer the more logical style even when they're Americans, given that we geeks are always more logical than everybody else.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 9th December 2007, 5:08pm) *

That "punctuation goes in quote marks" thing is an idiotic typographers convention that was apparently only popular in the U.S., not in Britain, where more logical punctuation style tended to be used. Computer geeks tend to prefer the more logical style even when they're Americans, given that we geeks are always more logical than everybody else.

Logical? Or Pendantic? (Potahto, Potatoe)

guy
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sun 9th December 2007, 11:20pm) *

Pendantic?
blink.gif
AB
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 9th December 2007, 11:08pm) *

Hey! I'm a computer geek, and I'm quite emotional!

*puts hands on hips and looks crossly at Daniel*

However, thank you for defending British English. : )
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 9th December 2007, 6:24pm) *

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sun 9th December 2007, 11:20pm) *

Pendantic?
blink.gif

Being "Logical" does not equal being "pedantic".

"Claiming to be logical" often is an aspect of pedantic behavior.

IMUHO. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.