Full Version: Phillip Sandifer BLP
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Piperdown
interesting dynamics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...Philip_Sandifer

SlimVirgin, Jayjg, Gerard - Keep

Crum375, Baudy - Delete
Disillusioned Lackey
I think it is hilarious if you compare the discussions, compared to the Brandt case. k (Not funny at all if you are Brandt, but anyways...). Brandt's justifications for notability were some interviews in Slate, or other mags, and a role in a non-profit, and some publications. For Sandifer (check, check, check, check). Same as Brandt.

What makes Sandifer more notable is not only that his face was in the New York Times (whereas Brandt is still the mysterious faceless "Dr. No") but Phil Sandifer got arrested (or "interviewed querelously) by the police, for postulating about murdering people, on the internet. Well, ok, he was just "fantasizing" unsure.gif But still, it's news, and it is NOTABLE.

Surely as notable as Daniel Brandt. Daniel never fantasized about murdering anyone on a blog (that we know of, but he could have a secret Walter Mitty side to him, who knows), and Daniel never shot his lover in the chest (and missed) at least we haven't discovered that (yet) about him. Yet people who want "out" with all this spine tingling fascinating aspects............ get out. Immediately.

Amazing. cool.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
[b]IRONY---->[/b]Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2007-10-22/Living people
[i]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2007-10-22/Living people]Biographies of living people grow into status symbol[[/url]/i]

By Michael Snow, 22 October 2007

An analysis of Category:Living people indicates that biographies occupy an increasing proportion of the total article count as Wikipedia grows. With the coverage expanding to explore how far the much-debated concept of notability reaches, for some lesser figures there also comes the sense that having a Wikipedia article is a mark of achievement.

I guess the idea of having a BLP is very flattering......... for about the first 24 hours, before someone writes on it that "he was born out of a cow" or "he killed rats as a kid and people were sure he was going to be a babykiler", and they realized they are now a BLP VICTIM.

The dead-giveaway should be the fact that no administrator (or Angela Beesley) wants a BLP. wink.gif CLUE!

And some more IRONY....

because she's far more notable than Sandifer, but, I'm not going to throw my dog in that fight. smile.gif

We have lots of articles on people who are only notable because of something that has happened to them, rather than because of something they've done themselves. SlimVirgin (talk) 03:14, 29 May 2006 (UTC)
guy
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 16th December 2007, 6:47pm) *

Crum375, Baudy - Delete

Crum's just doing it to confuse the SV = Crum brigade. And Fred's not actually a paid-up member of the SV clique (or he wouldn't have an account here, would he?), though he rarely disagrees with it.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 16th December 2007, 3:39pm) *

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 16th December 2007, 6:47pm) *

Crum375, Baudy - Delete

Crum's just doing it to confuse the SV = Crum brigade. And Fred's not actually a paid-up member of the SV clique (or he wouldn't have an account here, would he?), though he rarely disagrees with it.

I had the same thoughts as you on Crum/Slim - and then of course, it figures that Bauder is out of the loop. He probably thinks that the cool thing is to delete for his buddies, so that's his vote right there.
Piperdown
that BLP was in 2006. i can't really go so far as to guess crum voted differently than SV that early on just to avoid sock scrutiny.

crum butted heads with Jayjg early on with a pretty serious allegation, of deleting edits.

that's de-sysop talk, and i really doubt a SV sock would go that far to establish sock cred.

but does crum's account now get used by SV, it wouldn't put it beyond plausibility. what the editing history points to is a French Connection Aerobatics friend & aero enthusiast crossing paths with SV's cabal, gaining sympathy after becoming friendly by editing the same aero-crash topics, and crum seizing the fast track to adminship by letting SV & Co. factory adminfarm him. He's unconditionally loyal to the people that adminned him.

somebody nominated him for a blog interview in Oct 2007 under the guise of being a male admin commenting on female admin topics, and "he" was coy about whether he was a boy.

jorge, you're right, there's really no personally identifiable expertry displayed on the aero articles.

i still don't think crum = slim, but if i was one of gerard's franknfurters I'd do a CU nonetheless.

surely someone has in the past, and someone would like to clear this all up as a deepthroat via the backchannels.

Kellykelly and others who have or are insiders that know what slimmy's wiki B.S. is doing to WP should do the right thing.

no one has to out crum, just give 1 nod for yes or 2 for no regarding the SV question.
Piperdown
from an earlier Who's Hairy Crum thread

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...3578&hl=crum375

my conclusions based on Crum375's rookie fortnight (always a fertile ground for analysis).

- older male (old enough to remember late 1960's sports and computer systems)
- Canadian
- hockey fan
- Toronto
- aircraft pilot
- scuba
- not shy about editing other's user pages (this later causes SV speculation, erroneously)
- 1st week on WP was giving detailed warnings to vandals, citing several policies
- not new to WP in May 2006 when account started.
- chess entusisast
- interests in india, pakistan, viet nam
- medical interests: CAT scan, genome
- interest in Canada/monarchy issues
- not Slim: intro to SV was opposition to her "speedy keep" in AFD of rabbi articles with reasonable, general statement. But:
- 3rd week - kissing FloNight, SV ass over "harassment", wikifying "holcaust denier" & "anti-semitic" claims by Berlet in Daniel Brandt article, editing "jews and their lies" article. He's made wikifriends with slim and nurse flo, for wikilife. for better or for worse.
- not jayjg: called bullshit on j-man by countering Jayjg on his altering AFD discussions.

- later adminned: nominated by the cunning Musical Linguist, crowned by Essjay, and congratulated by Slimmy, all within 10 minutes of each other. They were all quite chummy by Feb 2007.
thekohser
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sun 16th December 2007, 2:44pm) *

The dead-giveaway should be the fact that no administrator (or Angela Beesley) wants a BLP.

Are there any Wikipedia administrators with an active BLP page on Wikipedia? If so, who are they?

Greg
Amarkov
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 16th December 2007, 5:48pm) *

The dead-giveaway should be the fact that no administrator (or Angela Beesley) wants a BLP.

Are there any Wikipedia administrators with an active BLP page on Wikipedia? If so, who are they?

Greg

Well, there's Elonka now. I don't think there has been one before.
thekohser
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:00pm) *

So, does it therefore follow that about 99.923% of all Wikipedia admins are non-notable nobodies who have failed to anywhere else distinguish themselves in the real world?
Castle Rock
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 16th December 2007, 7:31pm) *

So, does it therefore follow that about 99.923% of all Wikipedia admins are non-notable nobodies who have failed to anywhere else distinguish themselves in the real world?

So what? That's true for the vast majority of people anyways. Also keep in mind the huge number of admins who are college age or younger.
Moulton
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:37pm) *
So what? That's true for the vast majority of people anyways. Also keep in mind the huge number of admins who are college age or younger.

It may well be true for the overwhelming majority of both the population at large and the admins on WP.

But keep in mind that WP is supposedly an enterprise to craft an encyclopedia. In the real world, encyclopedia articles are crafted by subject matter experts and edited by credentialed career professionals.

The undistinguished immature amateurs on WP have displaced the authoritative subject-matter experts who might have made the enterprise successful. Instead those authoritative experts have been invited to Scholarpedia, and will no doubt be attracted to Knol as sane alternatives to the ludicrous soap opera that Wikipedia has turned into.
Timp
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:46pm) *

that BLP was in 2006. i can't really go so far as to guess crum voted differently than SV that early on just to avoid sock scrutiny.

crum butted heads with Jayjg early on with a pretty serious allegation, of deleting edits.

that's de-sysop talk, and i really doubt a SV sock would go that far to establish sock cred.

Did Crum accuse Jayjg of deleting edits? In the discussion I saw Crum only said he voted after the AfD closed, in a way that wouldn't have changed the outcome.

I wouldn't conclude that Jayjg was in on it at that point, but as far as I could see the three-in-a-row "that was inappropriate" comments to Slim and Jayjg were all over trivial things.
thekohser
QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:37pm) *

Yes, that was sort of my point. Thanks for reinforcing it.

So, how many "Category:Living people" are there on Wikipedia? Did we say it was something like 200,000? If we take the billion or so people on Earth who are English-competant, probably 50% of them have Internet access. Of those 500 million, probably 50% have the basic editing and technical skills it would take to become a Wikipedia admin. Probably 10% of them have ever achieved notability that might constitute "passing" Wikipedia requirements for an article. So... 200,000 divided by 25,000,000 is eight-tenths of one percent.

So, just from my rough Fermi calculation, there really ought to be about 10 BLP's about Wikipedia admins, if Wikipedia were just congruent with the laws of averages. So, which 9 other admins need to have articles started about them?

(We shouldn't forget Jimbo and Angela -- they have Wikipedia BLP's and they are admins. So, seven more to go?)

Greg

Greg
Castle Rock
They probably already exist, controlling your article with an iron fist is easier when people can't scream WP:COI at you.
Viridae
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 17th December 2007, 2:31pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:00pm) *

Guilty as charged smile.gif
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Amarkov @ Mon 17th December 2007, 3:00am) *

I hadn't noticed that the first name "Elonka" redirects to her bio. Hmm, who created this redirect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

Unbelievable.
Rootology
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:27pm) *

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Mon 17th December 2007, 3:00am) *

I hadn't noticed that the first name "Elonka" redirects to her bio. Hmm, who created this redirect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

Unbelievable.

That was before she stopped futzing around with her stuff. People can't stand her for whatever reason, but in her defense she's pretty much the only notable Elonka at all, at least in English language countries.
everyking
Apparently Phil himself never commented on this AfD (I'm not missing it in there somewhere, am I?), but Gerard voted to keep, and that's a good sign Phil wanted the article to stay. He may have imagined that he'd become some sort of internet hero for standing up to the campus police, but I think his story about murdering a homeless man made too many people feel uncomfortable.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 17th December 2007, 7:31am) *

That was before she stopped futzing around with her stuff. People can't stand her for whatever reason, but in her defense she's pretty much the only notable Elonka at all, at least in English language countries.

There are no particularly notable "Elonkas" in English-speaking countries, just one that's very clever about promoting herself on google.
Moulton
Some years ago, when I was reading up on interesting puzzles in cryptography, I stumbled onto Elonka's website where she was coordinating efforts to solve the Kryptos puzzle sculpture in the CIA courtyard. It's a notable project for fans of cryptographic puzzles.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 17th December 2007, 12:53pm) *

Some years ago, when I was reading up on interesting puzzles in cryptography, I stumbled onto Elonka's website where she was coordinating efforts to solve the Kryptos puzzle sculpture in the CIA courtyard. It's a notable project for fans of cryptographic puzzles.

Notable enough to warrant a redirect from her first name, a la Madonna?

Moulton
That depends on whether one views Wikipedia as an encyclopedia or an MMPORG in which contestants vie with fierce warlords played by experienced champions of the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.